RT Wed June 6

LauraR

Cathlete
Oh, girls, I got such a kick out of reading yesterday's thread and all of your A-Team plans! You are a hoot! :)

I'm actually looking FORWARD to traveling solo. I do so much traveling with 3 kids in tow that the plane trip by myself will already seem like a vacation. And I've done enough driving and traveling on my own--the harrowing 4 hour trip to the capital on rugged 3rd world roads--the 2 8 hour flights plus 16 hour layover to get from here to the US--that I'm not intimidated by that. Traveling alone is easy.

Here's the kicker, though. At RT time, I will have been in the States for less than a month. If you've ever been around anyone in the military or who for other reasons has been out of the US for some time, you may know of a phenomenon called REVERSE culture shock. It means that, even though it's your home culture, it seems strange and unfamiliar. Sometimes you forget how to cope. So, the lady who can't figure out how to work the espresso machine . . . that'll be me. Any kind of vending machine . . . all thumbs (you know, they CHANGE those every year or so, and so you have to learn how to work them all over again). So, I doubt I'll get lost en route to the party, but I may need someone to hold my hand once I'm there. LOL.;-)

Like most other people who've posted on this thread, I was at first intimidated by the thought of the RT. I was feeling a lot of pressure. This thread has helped me see that most of us have SOMETHING we're nervous about, whether it's the step workout, the kickboxing, our appearance, just getting there!, or whatever. Thanks, girls, for being such real, encouraging people. I can't wait to meet you.

I'm feeling MUCH better today and plan to start back into my rotation tomorrow.

Laura

Good morning Laura and other trippers.

Whew, yesterday was busy for me. My grandson had 2 types of therapy and that along with laundry, housework, grocery shopping and a workout had me running all day. It will be a relief to get back to a nice quiet day at work.

LOL about the A-team travel plans. Actually, DH and I had the most hassle free flying on our trip to WA then we've had in years. I don't know if it was the airline (United) or just our luck, but eveything went smoothly and on time. My DH will be driving to the RT with me. He plans on sightseeing around the area and relaxing while I have fun with you guys.

Today's workout is PLB. I have to get a haircut after work and my hairdresser called yesterday and pushed it back an hour, so it may be tough getting home late and squeezing in my workout, but it must be done. Have a great day ladies.

Morning Ladies:)

Well today is 40 min of cardio, and Squeeze:p After the first time doing this workout, I had dom's for 3 days! Who knew 3lb weights could do that?!

Vicki- Dh happened to see that your hubby was comming..and that is all I have heard about.."see, there are other wives bringing their husbands.";-)

Hope everyone has a great day!

Michelle

Michelle, my DH is coming, but I don't know why. He has been told, repeatedly, that I will not be spending time with him. He says that's OK, but if he pouts because I am spending all my free time playing with you guys, I'll smack him up side the head.

Good morning!

Laura: You are one brave lady traveling all over the place by yourself. And don't worry, I'm sure by RT time one of us will be willing to help you get that darn dollar in the vending machine! Actually, from what I remember of my trip to Cathe's gym last year, it was the little coin lock thingy on the lockers that had me baffled. The cleaning person in the locker room finally saved me after what seemed like endless minutes standing there looking pretty ridiculous. It is this weird thing that requireds a quarter but you really can't figure out how the quarter goes in. So, give me a holler to work that locker since, you know, (ahem) now I'm a pro!

Robin: Gosh, I so remember the days of all the therapies for all three triplets. My house was like a revolving door!! Now they just get PT at school. But boy, in the early days my life was just not my own. I know how overwhelming it can be... you are such a wonderful dynamic lady, and obviously a grandma who loves her beautiful grandson like no other! Hats off to you. Oh and I don't know about your DH, but I know on Saturday mine is planning to use the gym. If you let them know in advance, spouses that are traveling with RT's are allowed to use the gym for free. Just some FYI...

Michelle... ooops, sorry! didn't mean to cause any family fueds! LOL. If it makes him feel better, well, tell him it was my very bad fear of travelling alone that made me take him ( that's right A-Teamers, the leader of the plan has the same fear!!!) Tell him I plan to completely ignore him the entire time and that the chance of any funny business is zero to none because of course all that working out and fun will have me totally exhausted. Oh, but do me a favor, don't tell MY dh I said that cause that's how I bribed him into coming in the first place!!!

Okay, I am going down to the basement for some PUB and then immediately after go to teach cardio/sulpt. Later this afternoon I have a ballet class. Then I collapse.

Have a wonderful day ladies! I'm really getting excited now... 65 days to go!!

LOL Vicki! That's the best way to bribe a DH, I like to use those same tactics!;)

Robin- my husband said I just was ahamed of him, and also gave me the 'pouty' face.;)

Michelle ps- Vicki, I wont say a word:eek:

LOL y'all are cracking me up. I caught a little bit of yesterday's A-Team thread. Add me to the list of nervous travelers. I'm not really worried about the airport business. I am meeting my friend at the airport and we're renting a car and driving over together. THAT's the part that I'm nervous about -- driving in Philly/Jersey. I hate shuttles or taxi's of any kind so driving is really the only option for me but I also hate driving (go figure). DH does all the driving at home. I am OK if I'm driving alone, but I get nervous with other people in the car with me, especially in a new city. So that's what I'm nervous about. Oh, and the step class but y'all already knew that. :)

This morning I went for a walk with one of my neighbors for 45 minutes. I will probably do PUB tonight. My rotation is totally off schedule. I stayed home from work yesterday to help DH finish the painting. We are finally done but my house/kitchen is upside down at the moment. Can't wait to get on schedule again...probably won't be until next week though since my parents are coming into town on Friday for 5 days. I might not get any formal workouts in but my mom loves to walk so we'll definitely be doing walks around the neighborhood.

My DH wanted to come too but I told him no way no how. Before I signed up for the RT I had already planned a girl's weekend in Florida for a spa day. Well since he gave into me going on the RT, we compromised and he is now coming with me to Florida. I just felt so bad leaving him twice. It's so funny how they pout isn't it?

Laura - that is interesting about the reverse culture shock. I can't wait to meet you. I was telling my DH about you. It is so great that we have such a diverse group!

Have a great day ladies.

T

Goodmorning ladies! Wow, you guys are early risers!

Laura - I've never experience the reverse culture shock, but my family has. They were stationed oversees for over 13 years and coming back to the states really blew them away. They completely missed out on the late 60's & 70's. My poor sisters re-entered school not knowing anything about popular culture (singers, tv shows, etc..) Everyone thought they were from Mars. ;) Most likely though, with my track record for not being able to figure out vending machines, mail boxes, and fuel pumps, you will need to help me out, not the other way around! :)

Robin - Glad your flight to WA went smoothly. A few years ago, DH and I missed the 45 minute cut off by 2 minutes and weren't allowed to board our 7 a.m. flight. We went on standby for ever other flight that day, but didn't make it out and ended up having to do it all over the next day. Ended up getting to WA a total wreck and it took me 2 days to settle down. So I TOTALLY appreciate how nice it is to have a completely hassle free flight to WA. Glad your trip went so well! :D I'm keeping my fingers crossed for mine coming up next month.

Michelle - My DH is the total opposite. He refused to come with me. He was like "NO WAY!". I told him he could go to the gym for free, but he enthusiastically declined.

Vicki - LOL about the locker lock! I will definitely come to you if I have any problems with that!

Tess - Now that you mention it, I do get nervous driving with someone else in the car. So, maybe this driving alone thing will not be too bad. ;) And I'll be right there with you on the step class. I'm definitely a little on edge about that!

Tonight will be Slow and Heavy upper body work and some extra push-ups. I am now up to 15 big girl push-ups - whoo hoo! I can do close to 80 knee ones, but for a while there I could only do 5 at once on my toes and that was with me totally collapsing by the end. My goal is to get through all of the GS chest push-ups on my toes before the RT. We'll see...

Liann, great job with the push ups.

Vicki, I told my DH he could use the gym and gave me this look, like, are you crazy? He works out and looks great for a 50 something grandpa, but when he relaxes, he relaxes. The only reason I think he'd come by the gym is to see what all of us look like. Yeah, I forgot what it was like to tote a baby to all kinds of appointments. I have to give my DH credit. He volunteered to babysit so DD could work this summer (he is a teacher and is off for the summer) and has to take Greyor to most of his "stuff."

Tess, I hate to drive in heavy traffic, so I'm kind of relieved my DH wanted to come. I'm glad there will be a bus from the hotel to the gym. At least, I assume there is, since there was one last time.

Robin: I remember when the RT forum first came out they said that there would be buses from the hotels to the gym. So, wow, you guys have to take Greyor to his therapies? We had all the therapy at our house. Some states do it different. In NY they go by the "natural environment" so the therapists come to you. Holy smokes, I couldn't have imagined lugging all three triplets plus my baby to all those appointments!! We had PT for two of them 3x per week, then PT, OT, speech, special instruction and visual therapy for the other one, all at least two-three times per week. I feel for you guys and give your DH a huge thumbs up from me for doing all that for Greyor. Tell him I said he definitely deserves to relax rather than sweat with the rest of us!! ( but if we catch him peeking in the class, we get to pull him in there with us!!)

Vicki, the PT and OT come to the house. He is having therapy on his throat muscles to improve his ability to swallow and that is done 3 times a week at the hospital about 40 min away from us. And DH would probably love being pulled into a gym by 100 sweaty women!!!!

Hi everyone!

I just read through the past couple of threads to catch up with everyone. I'm loving the A-Team plan! Too funny!

Laura - I'll be glad to do a little hand-holding. I ran into a vending machine just the other day that took a minute or two to figure out.

Robin - Glad to hear your trip was uneventful. I travel a lot and always feel bad for the people who have trouble figuring out all the new rules and regulations. It can be a nightmare for some.

Michelle - Don't tell your DH, but mine is coming, too. We're taking advantage of my being in the area to take a few extra days to sightsee. I've always wanted to go to Philly, I just need to stay away from the cheesesteak!

Vicki - You're so right about those lockers. Seems like some of them just plain didn't work at the last RT. I doubt I'll remember how to use them anyway.

Tess - Good to hear you finished painting the kitchen, and that you got that sage green paint! My home office/workout room is painted a soft sagey green with sage curtains. It is a very soothing, warm color.

Liann - You're impressing me with those pushups. I was up to 12 big girl pushups at one point, though I haven't focused on them in a while. Hmmmm . .. maybe something new to work on. I don't think I'll join you on your scaly friends, though. DH is deathly afraid of snakes.

This weekend, I managed to do my scheduled workout on Sat - C&W cardio and compound weights only - despite having been up all night. The install went well and I was able to crawl into bed for a couple hours of sleep around 5:00. Getting through a workout was tough, but worth it.

I sure was glad Sunday was a rest day. We came home early when we found out the boat wasn't working (and the mechanic's truck was broken down, too) and floated in the pool all afternoon. Had a couple of beers floating around on pool noodles - very relaxing. Then we reheated leftovers for dinner, so that was nice break.

Monday was PLB+PUB Pyramid up only (eeek - all those pikes!) and then yesterday was SJP/Step Blast Step and Hi/Lo. Now that's just plain mean - all the cardio from SJP and then the entire Step Blast workout with a tiny little 2 minute stretch at the end. I had intended to post, but after that, it was all I could do to fix dinner.

This morning I did Bootcamp everything but core and ME abs. I'm going to try to fit in some rebounding later in the day, if I can. I have a big go/no-go call this evening for this weekend's final install, so fingers crossed that the tech team can convince everyone the site will be fast enough!

Does anyone know what it is with Firefox and logging in? Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Very frustrating!

Hello everyone.

Just briefly checking in as I can hardly keep my eyes open. I have been so busy trying to get ready for our trip. We leave Friday for the beach and we also have to pack most of the house b/c we are having the hardwood floors refinished while we are gone. There is still so much left to do. I can see us staying up all night tomorrow to get everything done and then be really cranky the whole day on the road. At least we are breaking the trip up into 2 days.
I did the Viper today for the first time. I have liked the other 2 workouts on that DVD so much, that I had not tried this one b/f. I added on LIC upper body circuit and abs after. I am going to try to squeeze in a workout tomorrow, but we will see.

Liann...my bf of 10 years is the same way. I could not talk him into coming to the RT. I have asked him several times, but I always get a negative response. I guess that is okay since the plane ticket is my b-day present from him.

Vicki and Robin...I admire your dedication to get your children/grandchildren to their therapy appointments (or be available for their appointments at home) along with everything else you have going on. As a therapist, I see so many kids that don't have willing parents, or the means to continue therapy services. It just breaks my heart. Hats off to both of you!!

Michelle...How was Squeeze? I have only previewed this workout and I plan to take it to the beach since it does not use a lot of equipment. Hopefully I will have time to fit it in.

Tess...Any advice to me on picking out a paint color? We seem to be at a stand still on finishing our kitchen renovation b/c we can't decide on a color (or a floor). Glad to hear you have finished:)

Mona...Your Sunday sounds so perfect! We all need more days like that!!

To everyone else, have a great day tomorrow!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.