Petagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/1/2012!!

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did Turbo Barre (74 min.).

Deb, I went to the Sports bras, yoga clothing, womens sportswear, athletic apparel - Title Nine website but couldn't find the shorts and tops I bought about 5 years ago, but they do have a sale on and some of the tops are very similar to mine. Thanks so much for the workout sheets. Have not looked at them yet, but I'm hoping for some breakdowns on the premixes, which I really have not used at all.

So now we are the PETagenarians? Does this mean we must have pets?

I am totally partied out after last night. The first party opened champagne at 6, which is when they celebrate bonne annee in Paris. It was the smaller, more intimate party and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The second party was thrown by our veterinarian, and it was a bit too much for me. She even had fireworks going off that were rather spectacular, and I wondered if the local police would show up. I'm very proud of myself. I had a small meal at the first party of ham and a really scrumptious kohlrabi salad and had a small slice of cake for dessert at the second party. Overall, two glasses of champagne and one glass of pinot grigio, spread out from 5:30 to midnight. Have lost three pounds this past year, although I think most of them have been the result of doing Cathe for two straight months with all her cardio.

Happy New Year everyone!

Hi,

LOL about the title of this week's thread. You can see where my fingers are going, along with my brain I guess.

Garance: I have a break down of the pre-mixes in WORD which I just e-mailed to you and Valerie. Anyone else wants it, let me know and send me your e-mail address if I don't have it.

We are going to my brother's for dinner, it should be a nice evening. We were in bed by 10:30 last night, real party animals!

Take care,

I was in bed by 8;30.... beat you all! no party animal here. got awakened a few times by the neighbors and fireworks but overall not bad. Admirable restraint, lynda. I would have had more champagne. love the bubbly stuff. maybe that's why I haven't lost 3 lbs!!

thanks for those sheets Deb. I printed the whole document( many pages) and didn't have a chance to look through it, besides which I haven't done all the workouts. I like anything that has the steps in order, on paper, so I can write down what weight I use or if I need to modify anything. Makes things go so much smoother especially when you don't have the workout locked in memory.

planned on skiing this morning but drove up to crummy, nasty snow so bailed without even putting the skis on and did a 2 hour river walk, easy but pleasant. yesterday we did a trail run so this was a pleasant change.

Title 9 has some nice things. I find I do better on mail order for exercise things. Again I'm sorry I posted a big showy ad from roadrunner. I use them for some shoes, socks, pants, etc for both DH and myself. pleased with the capris I got. I got some wind block tights for cycling from them that are nice too. capris on sale for $35 approximately.
the basement is pretty cool. shorts are fine in summer but like a little more cover in winter. plus these are very firm and supportive. I really like them. I've had trouble with the flare legs of my old pants getting caught especially on the spin bike so this is a nice change. they also cut friction on the bike seat.

Josie, hope you had a good ride(s). we hope to ride something tomorrow.

Good morning!

Off today, ( Yay!), so hopefully will get my butt downstairs to get a workout in, and do some stuff around here. Have to put away the Christmas stuff, mostly wrapping, stockings etc. We didn't do a tree so there is really not much to put away. it' still a hassle dragging all the boxes etc to the attic. Then sometime today I have to get to Baby's R Us to get a shower gift for my godchild's shower that is this coming Sunday.

Did I mention here that John did get his bike that I gave him money for? He wasted no time researching and then going out and buying the one he wanted. It's a Trek, but I don't have the model etc. He even took it for a spin around the neighborhood one day last week when he was off. He loves it. I hope it gets him to be more active. I know the kind of fishing he does requires a lot of walking, but he only gets to do that once a week or so, even in good weather. He wants me to look at them and maybe get one too. I said I would in the spring.

I think I will go down and try one of the new K-C-M's I just got. Really not in the mood for one of the LIS ones today.

Valerie, you asked about the Tri-sets, I have only done pre-mixes on that one, lower body, and one of the shorter upper ones I think. The thought of the whole workout overwhelms me...I could probably do it. but it's a mental thing for me.

Well, have to get my butt downstairs, or it won't get done!

Will check back later to see who is around,

Take care,

Well I did KCM's "Your Best Body" workout #1 of this new set she just sent out, and it was just "meh". I hope the other workout is better, and the Step Boxing one is ok.

Garance, don't rush off to order this set. Not as good as some of the other "30 Minute to Fitness" ones she has done in the past. There is one DVD in the set called "Start Here" which is for those that are trying to get back into workouts, or those just starting out. I thought I might like it to get back into the swing of things, or if it is a little on the easy side, I may try to talk my friend into using it, she has never picked up a db in her life.

Off to get more done on my "list"..then to Babies R Us.

Deb, DH & I both have Trek road bikes and like them a lot. It's a common brand, seems like most bike shops carry them and work on them. We've had ours a couple years and are very pleased with them. nothing ever wrong with either. we take them in about once a year for adjustments of the derailleur and brakes. can't get info about doing that yourself. by the time you buy all the tools and supplies ( not to mention know-how) it's better to take in to a bike shop. John may need to take it in for adjustment after riding it for a few weeks when all the cables etc stretch out a little, just for fine tuning. it was complimentary where we bought ours. they want you to be happy with your purchase, and nothing is more aggravating than a bike that won't shift.

We were amazed at home much you get for the $$ in a "baseline" bike. a good sport you will enjoy too but probably not until it warms up some. 50 is about the lowest temp I'm happy with.

Went out this morning intending to do some birding but loads of hunters out. the duck season goes another several weeks and they were out in force today. found a another snowy owl right off this morning, only a couple dozen yards from the parking lot. so ended up not much exercise. sometimes lots of walking. this time, no. so I'll be doing a workout later. will do a little wood chopping this morning so that will cover the upper body.

Hi Deb and Valerie--

This morning I did Slide and Glide (52 min.). I modify some of the burpees because there are TOO MANY of them. I either do more jumping jacks or the skating routine, which I really like on the disks.

Deb, thanks for all of the worksheets. I will probably use them to figure out if some of the premixes are appealing. I have never done the lower body workout on the trisets, nor the bonus step on the cardio supersets. Nope, not buying more KCMs right now--I did look at some of the clips and they look, as you said, meh! I have been somewhat intrigued by the discussion of the Les Mills stuff. It's Body Pump, and the clips have outrageously good music. I would love to get just the weight stuff, but it looks like you must buy a whole shebang of equipment. (I had friends in high school who constantly picked up dumbbells and in a couple instances, married them.)

Valerie, I am not a big fan of fireworks, probably because I had appendicitis on the fourth of July in my 20s, and they seemed to intensify the pain. I like my title nine shorts because they have a kind of v-shaped waistband and are really not binding in any way. It sounds like you like more spandex than I do.

Off to see Mission Impossible tonight. I will let you know what I think.

Good morning!

So tired today, didn't feel like getting up to do a workout, but then could not get back to sleep.
coffee.gif
It's 15 degrees here now, lovely. The weather says the high today is going to be 12...huh.?..

Valerie, John got a hybrid bike, 27 speeds. I couldn't handle 10 speeds on my old bike, what do you do with 27? He said they are a lot easier to use now, and I will see when we get his out, or I go look for one of my own. He also gets to take his in after a bit of riding to have it adjusted, included in the price. I am sure he will do the yearly check up too. The place he bought it is big on bikes. Yeah, I think you can count chopping wood as an upper body workout!

Garance, I was looking at the Les Mills thread and other stuff too, would be interested in seeing clips of the workouts, more than what is on Beachbody. Crazy that you have to buy a barbell and plates etc to get the workouts. I can't imagine what the shipping must be. I will keep an eye out on Ebay to see if people list just the DVD's for sale. did you see a regular clip somewhere of the workouts? I am one of those people that has numerous sets of weights, some from old boyfriends, then I bought some, John had some when we started together etc, and of couse, I had to get the Troy Lite set that Cathe uses....lots of bars and plates in my basement. I should really get rid of the old ones that are hard to change plates on. I never use them anyway. I just get capri type sweat pants at Dick's or other sporting goods stores, don't like to pay a lot for stuff I never go out in anyway.

Hi to Josie, the vacationing Joan, and Cathy,

Take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did After Burn (54 min.).

Deb, over at Videofitness there is a Les Mills thread that includes some youtube clips of the Body Pump workouts. I love the Aussie accents and the music--and the light weights. There is also a discussion of the shipping costs. I wish you could just buy the dvds and not the barbell, because like you, I have two barbells and don't want another. I did buy some firewalker bands because my band from Brazil Butt Lift was beginning to shred. Now, I realize how much more resistance there is in the green band by Cathe, which I used yesterday. The pink band is what she uses in Turbo Barre, and it's about the same as my BBL band. It's only 15 degrees here today as well, and it's supposed to go down to 0 tonight. Brrrr!

If you like a thrilling rollercoaster ride of a film, the new Mission Impossible is really fun. There's one episode of Tom Cruise climbing the tallest building in the world in Dubai that will give you vertigo it's so realistic. He's using a special kind of glove, but then one of the gloves begins to fail (Oh NO!) and things get pretty crazy.

Getting my granite countertops re-sealed today so after yoga I cleaned and cleared the kitchen. all done, ready for him.

Deb, John is right the gears work so much better than they used to... you should have no problem. even if you don't use all of them, they are nice to have if you need them. if shifting gets hard to do... that's a reason to get tuned up at a bike shop. after a little use the cables stretch a little and need to be tightened up so it shifts smoothly.
We bought lower level bikes $600-700.. they can get very pricey but even these are nice and work well. I wanted functional... but it's not the only thing we do. if we trade up, I'd maybe go a little more expensive but I don't want a $3000 bike.

I've heard some good buzz about the Mission Impossible. I've gotten to really dislike that kind of movie having seen a couple other "missions" but maybe ? Tom C really annoys me in most of his more recent movies.

I was surprised I liked these capri pants (with all the spandex) but they are comfy. my looser pants get stuck on the ball and pull down. I've been rolling up the legs so that doesn't happen. sometimes the flared fabric gets in the way. I could maybe trail run in the capris and probably could road bike if I wore padded undies. mostly they are for inside use . the basement is a constant 55 degrees or so.

We chopped a lot of wood yesterday, and I strained my back somehow. It was very sore last night like a giant muscle cramp.. so I skipped a further workout. It was Ok this morning so went to yoga. Ok now. don't know what I did.

I found another set of owl pics. taken by a photo buddy of my neighbor. hope you enjoy them
http://www.pixel-shooter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31985

Hi Ladies,

I will be working out at home today. I will try running on the treadmill and maybe
The lower body pyramid work out. I need to strengthen my legs a bit more.

I’m back at work and was dreading coming in today. I did not want to hear any drama and was pleasantly surprised when my co-workers did not come in.

I had a great vacation and enjoyed my grand kids very much. My 4 year old grandson
said that I was “foxy wadyyyy (lady)” while I was making his breakfast. I don’t know where he gets these things. The older one told me that he would love me no matter what, he said that even if I did not have teeth or hair that he would love me ;). They are so adorable and I miss them already.

Have a nice evening!

Josie

037.gif

Slept pretty well, we needed to do the sample from Keegan first thing, so that is a joy at 5:00 am. Can't let her out until John does the "catch" so I have to hold her waiting for them to come back, so she doesn't have an "ahem" accident on the kitchen floor. Anyway, hopefully we get a good PH from this sample.

Now that I have told my am adventures, what's everyone else up to? It's another balmy 10 degrees right now. No real snow, just a dusting, the lake effect missed us.

Garance, aren't those firewalker bands wicked? I love them, but stumble trying to get in and out of them while the workout is going on. I always have to pause the DVD, or rewind.

Valerie, hope your back is ok. Love the pics of the owls, such a majestic bird, and so pretty.

Josie, your GK's sound so cute! They are adorable at that age.

Well, more coffe for me, gotta get ready for work,

Stay warm!!

too funny.. SOMEONE has to "catch" the sample! In my former life I was a medical Technologist, then worked for the company that made urine test strips. I don't know if "they" are still in the market. they fired us all unceremoniously in 1992. at any rate I am pretty well versed on all aspects of human pee. dog pee, that's a little different. and probably tougher to catch. you don't need more than a few drops.

I did Cardio supersets yesterday after my counter tops got done. I was just getting started when DH called and said he'd be home shortly. (we're not sure what's going on at the clinic he works at, but we're wondering if mgm is going to close it and try to blend them into other groups)
I ran thru the main workout pretty smoothly considering I hadn't seen it. needed to stop a couple times to rearrange furniture but I liked it. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. not easy, about right. those mountain climbers are killers. Didn't have time to look at premixes. I had the step out for some reason and don't remember using it.

I bought a box of the band material from Amazon. cut my own bands... Theraband. it comes in a long roll and is pretty inexpensive. you decide how tough a band you want, keyed to color. I don't think the colors are the same with each company. so a "green" or "blue" may mean different strengths with different manufacturers. .

Back is fine, must have been some small weird thing but it was fine by morning and yesterday didn't notice a thing. so back out to chop more wood.

Too funny Josie... Foxy lady...where do kids pick this stuff up??

This morning I did LIC (51 min.).

Loved the pictures, Valerie. Sent them to DH, who sent them back with the message: "hope no one is raising chickens in that area." I guess what's so astounding to me is that they have different "faces." Not just the generic snowy owl, but different personalities clearly projected. Love the one where the owl looks like it's yawning. Cardio supersets has a Step Express premix and a bonus step routine, both of which are also on LIC. I haven't tried either, because I love the 41 min. of Cardio supersets. It just seems like the perfect length and feels like After Burn lite if that makes sense.

Deb, it was below zero here when we woke up. It's in the teens now, but it's not too bad because there is no wind. Hope everything's okay with Keegan.

Welcome back, Josie! Sounds like you had a great holiday.

Chickens of the world ... relax. the owls are not that big. they are about 2 feet tall but eat mice. lemmings etc. those feathers are a lot of fluff! Critters prey on what they usually eat, so probably would not switch to domestic chickies. great horned owls might be big enough to take out chickens.

Yes, after burn lite describes it well. I need to take a look at the step part when I have more time. this worked perfectly yesterday. I thought I had 90 min but no.

Morning,

Slept well, even after sleeping on the couch for a bit before going to bed. I am back taking a benadryl at night and it is helping me stay asleep. Keegan's analysis did not turn out well. He has oxalate crystals again and the PH did not change. **sighs** He is now back on the bladder anti-inflamatory. The main thing is to get rid of the crystals, as they can form into stones, and that is a really bad thing.

Actually getting a sample from a male dog is pretty easy. It's the females that you have a tough time with. Is Cardio Super Sets the one that you need the dixie cups for? or is that Afterburn? I know I could not bend down that far and pick up a dixie cup. I used toilet paper rolls, that was too hard, so now I have a paper towel roll cut in half, but haven;'t gone back to that particular workout again.

It warmed up here, I think it's supposed to get into the 30's, I'll take it.

Off for more coffee, need to wake up. Take care,

No dixie cups in cardio supersets. think that's Afterburn. I'm built low to the ground... those are easy for me, I don't even notice them. we're all put together differently. Now the mountain climbers, those get my attention. That would be the best approach, make the target higher and then gradually lower it. or not!.... whatever works.
Calcium oxalate crystals show up in human pee too. I don't know what part of out diets they come from. I keep thinking asparagus. Hope you can get Keegan adjusted properly.

yesterday = mess. started out splitting wood. started raining seriously so we came in to regroup. DH noticed water at the base of the water heater. went downhill from there. Waterheater had a "lifetime" warranty. 9 yrs old. whirlpool will exchange for new (free) thru Lowes. Lowes web site was down so we went to the store. picked out a water heater. but turned out Lowes needed the old one back before they'd give us the replacement one. (whirlpool didn't think they'd want it back) so, home to disconnect it and load it. the old one would not drain! the bottom was filled with a layer of gritty, sandy material that blocked the water from draining. Finally unblocked it so the 50 gal of water could drain. hauled it up hill, loaded it in the back of the truck tied it down. It weighs 150 lbs so no easy chore but a hand truck and a ramp worked. went to lowes, got someone else to unload it, got the new one (many weird stramge financial manipulations &gyrations) too hard to explain. took new heater home and connected it & filled it. so the day was gone, no real exercise.
None of the above went very smoothly. some people were competent and efficient, others were totally brain dead. Lowes wanted to charge us for it and wouldn't call whirlpool. but I stuck to my guns and had all the documentation. sometimes this do-it-yourself approach is easy, sometimes not.

so off to yoga this morning.

This morning I did Athletic Training (56 min.).

After Burn uses the dixies, Deb. But I use bigger cups and sometimes I don't put them down, but just keep them in my hands and go as low as possible. Depends on how my knees are feeling. Darn, that's too bad about Keegan. It looked like that problem was solved, but now it seems to be chronic or recurring.

Valerie, try telling that to anyone who raises free-range chickens. You know you have an owl problem if you find several chickens with their heads torn off. Apparently owls use their talons for the kill and tear off the heads, leaving the rest of the chicken. They will decimate a flock if they are feeding their young with the heads. At least hawks eat the whole bird. So far, DH has been lucky and only lost a few birds to the local ring-tailed hawk couple. He has a really hot electric fence to keep out foxes and coyotes, and the occasional fisher cat. We have a problem with our dishwasher and the "appliance doctor" is doing a home visit this afternoon. I think it's our hard water, combined with the fact that they no longer have phosphates in the dishwashing detergent (which is actually a good thing, since it gets rid of a major pollutant). They will just have to come up with some new formula. Nothing like appliances to go on the fritz and screw up your day--my sympathies!

Good morning,

Nothing new going on here, just glad it's Friday. I have a baby shower to go to tomorrow, otherwise no plans for the weekend.

Valerie, I wonder if the dixie cup thing is based on how long your legs are? or maybe it's the flexibility of your hip flexors? something because I cannot do them, just like I can't do the wall squats where you have to pick up and put the weights down. I do them without weights. There are lists of foods that are high in calcium oxalates, and those that are low. I have been very careful with what we give him, eg he gets dried banana chips for treats, no commercial anything. Now I am doubting even giving him those. Any reason why you wouldn't have just had Lowes come and install the water tank and take the old one away? I think it would have been worth it after all you had to do. Lucky neither one of you got hurt.

Garance, did they fix your dishwasher?

Anyone have any plans for the weekend?

Take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.