Pentagenarians: Week Beg 3/9

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning all!

Well I think the time change did something to me...I slept off and on yesterday, so of course I could not sleep last night, did not get up to do the I-Train I had planned. x( I also keep thinking about Clancy and all the fun we had with him over the years.. I know it will get better as time goes on.. Kelsey is a little out of sorts, I think she realizes something is different...We still have a lot of snow on the ground, but at least it stopped for now.

As we agreed, this will be our posting thread for the week, instead of starting one every day. We can keep this going through Sat and on Sunday I will start a new one..

Have a great day!

Deb :)

Good morning all!

I did 4ds HIS with chest and back. I have three of my four new DVDs (Sansone is on back order), but I still haven't previewed any of them. Maybe tonight for tomorrow's workout.

Thanks for starting the week's postings, Deb! I am having problems with the time change, too. I read somewhere that it's a bit like jet lag. I literally had to drag myself out of bed this morning.

Linny, that Jari Love sounds tough. I do her high rep, low weight Get Ripped and Chiseled, and I have no trouble matching her on the weights. One of my hands goes numb, though, about three-quarters of the way through the pullovers and biceps. A bit of carpal tunnel from knitting, I believe.

Sunny and cold here today, but at least it's dry and there are no gale force winds.

Good Evening Ladies:
Deb: Thanks for starting us off for the week:)Praying that each day will become easier on your grief. I'm with you on the lack of sleep.I had a heck of a time falling asleep last night,I kept thinking of getting up this morning at 5am.I did it,but I wasn't able to work out today. By the time I got home and then had to go sign up for EZ Pass,make dinner then its too late. I'm hoping tomorrow after work I'll be able to get in a workout.It was a busy day today on the unit,I didn't eat lunch till 2:15pm.I was starved,especially since the last time I ate anything was at 6:15am.
Garance:I think the Jari Love I did was Slim and Lean.My legs are NOT happy today.I'm glad I wasn't the only one that had a hard time getting up this morning.I thought it was nerves,it being my first day on the floor with patients. So far I like all the staff,everyone seems friendly and helpful.Today I hit me I truly do enjoy helping patients.It was pretty cold here too.20degrees when I got up,bbbrrrr!
Ladies have a great night and I'll check in tomorrow after work~Linny~

Good morning all,

Another awful sleeping night and of course no workout this morning..I have to stop eating those M&M's after dinner...I think it's the caffine in them that is keeping me from sleeping. They are also keeping me from melting! Well we are all having a chuckle about our slimey governor and his antics with a prostitution ring...it wouldn't be so ironic if he didn;t put on such moral airs, now he is the one that got caught. That's politics for you..

Garance:
You are doing so well with the 4DS workouts..I hope you enjoy the new workout dvd's...let us know what they are like once you have tried them. Dancing with the Stars starts Monday..are you going to tape it?

Linny:
I'm glad you are enjoying your new job. We spend so much of our day at work, that if it is miserable, it really has a negative effect on the rest of your life.

Have a great day!

Deb

Hi Deb and Linny--

This morning I did a new one: Christi Taylor Fit to Dance. It's 70 min. of intervals--aerobics followed by weight work followed by aerobics and weights and.... You could probably cut this one to 60 min. if you skipped the abs and stretch at the end. I REALLY am pleased with this one. The aerobics are primarily low impact and really easy and fun and I worked up a good sweat on all of them. The music is excellent. My favorite interval was a little hip-hop routine. Christi is an excellent teacher on this one.

Deb, I'm going to watch the new Dancing with the Stars. I always look forward to this series.

Boy, Spitzer is getting his comeuppance on this for being Mr. Ethics. Regis read a headline from the NY Post this morning: "HO NO!" Funny!

Hope your new job continues to go well, Linny.

Not sure I will be working out tomorrow because I might have to report for jury duty. I will know later today.

Hi Dbe and Garance and any one who follows:
Deb: Sory to hear of your sleeping problems.You're gone through alot mentally,that can do a number on your sleep.Maybe you can try some soothing chamomile tea before bed. Maybe a warm bath or shower.I'm going to try some tea thats called Sleepy Time tonight.I saw a picture of Gov.Spitzer and wife in the news,his wife looked like she was in shock.I don't think I'd be able to stand next to the b**tard if he was my husband. The new job is going pretty well.I was able to eat at 1:30pm today,a little earlier than yesterday.The nurses on days told me the reason the last 11-7 nurse quit was because management kept promising another nurse to help on unit and she got tired of waiting.I looked at the schedule and noticed most of the nights I'm working they haven't found anyone to work with me.I think I'm going to have a little pow wow with the director to make sure I'm not working alone.
Garance: Is the Fit to Dance a new dvd of Christi's? I have a few of her older dvds but had a hard time following her.I was able to find my way around the building today.Each day getting to feel more comfortable. The girl in the payroll dept(I know from previous job)was collecting money from people who wanted to go into a Powerball pool.She said if I didn't play I may be working there by myself.She's a big kidder.Right now its at 230 million dollars.I'll be happy with 1/2million;) I got part of my sign on bonus today,which the 1st installment was $1000.It was kinda funny because between the two partial days I worked last week and the bonus, I only brought home $960 because of all the taxes they took.Oh well!
Hoping you ladies have a peaceful sleepfilled night~Linny~

Good Morning fellow Pentagenarians & Beyond!

I just came upstairs from doing a 30 minute I-Tread workout. It was hard to get up when the alarm rang, but I pushed myself and I am glad I did. It feels good getting back into the swing of things.

Garance:
Wow 70 minutes of alternating aerobics and weights is a lot of work! Cudos to you for being able to do that:) ....yes our governor is a real hypocrite that's for sure! Jury duty? I have not been called in years...the last time I was all set to go to Mexico, so I got a postponement and they said that I would be called in the next round...that was about 7 years ago!

Linny:
Thanks for the tip on the tea...I think I will try it tonight after dinner. It sure beats the M&M's I've been eating!x( I hope they give you help on the job. You are smart to bring it up now instead of waiting months and have them say " well you've been doing it alone all these months, what makes you need help now?"....believe me I've been there! I don;t even look at what they take out in taxes...it's too depressing!

Hi to Jen & Josie

Have a great day

Deb:)

Hi Deb and Linny--

Another new routine this morning--Cardio Dance Fusion by The Firm. 45 minutes of outstanding choreography. Loved it and found it very do-able the first time around. My favorite was the cha-cha, but I also liked the swing and modern dance routines. It's been ages since I've done a Firm tape, but I liked the clip at Collage and the reviews were right on.

Linny, this particular Christi Taylor is really easy.

As you can see, I decided to postpone my jury duty for a year instead of showing up this morning. I called yesterday afternoon and was told that all of the standby panels had to show up, so I decided to opt out. I probably wouldn't have been selected. I was dismissed without cause the last time I got seated. It was a civil lawsuit where the plaintiff had slipped on the floor in a Wal-Mart and was suing them for injuries. I don't really know why. I did sit on a jury back in 1999 on a case that lasted two whole weeks. Never want to do that again.

Grading begins again. Agh!!

Hi Ladies;
Deb:I bet it felt good doing a workout today. I can;t wait till friday when I will be able to do mine.I just can't get up a 4am to do a workout and then after work its dinner and cleaning.I have fri,sat and sunday off so at least I'll get 3 days in. I did speak with director today and requested another week on days to be oriented to the whole unit.I've only been on a third of it so far.She always said that it is very unusual to have one nurse on unit and they were just approved for agency use.So at least I have my thoughts out there to the director.
We got a few messy inches of snow this morning.Some ambulance driver came in to pick up a patient and said they had shut down part of a highway due to a tractor trailor jack kniving.I'm so glad I was at work before it started.
Garance:That Firm dvd sounds like fun.I have 2 left feet and it takes me along time to learn choregraphy.I was picked for jury duty in the mid-90's,but I was working at a healthcare that couldn't spare me for jury duty.My boss had to write a letter to them requesting to dissmiss me. Then about 2yrs later they wanted me again.They don't pay much for jury duty and if you need a regular weekly paycheck,its best to get out of it.
I bought some mini eggs the other day and somehow they opened up before Easter and were eaten.I won't make that mistake again.:p
Ladies Have a great night ~Linny~

Good Morning and Happy Thursday

Only 2 days to go until the weekend! My mom used to yell at us when we said things like that..."stop..you're wishing your life away"...
The funny things we remember...

I did ME Upper Body split, plus abs today.. at least I will be getting one upper, one lower and 2 cardio in this week.. this is better than the last 2 weeks of nothing!

Garance:
You are lucky that they let you off of jury duty the day before. Most would not do that. Do you get your regular paycheck when you are on jury duty? Our company pays us, and we have to give them the money that the state pays for jury duty...I think it's a whopping $15 a day! That new Firm dvd sounds like fun..is it straight cardio/dancing?

Linny:
It sounds like your new job has a director that at least listens to your concerns. I am sure you can;t wait to have 3 days off in a row! That will be a nice break for you..any plans besides getting the workouts in?

Have a great day!

Deb

Hi Deb, Jen, Linny and Garance,

It has been a tough couple of weeks, but I'm here. Today I will be running 5.5 miles and tomorrow I will be doing the boot camp class at my gym. I went on Moncay and it was great! my upper body is still a litle sore.

This weekend I will be training with my friend Mimi and doing 30 minutes on the elliptical and Sunday I want to run 5 miles and do the dunes.

I have not done anything exiting to talk about.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Josie

Hi Deb and Linny--

Another new one this morning: Slim Sculpt with Ellen Barrett. I thought this one was going to be really easy. Wrong! My arms are still aching, and I had to drop from 5 lbs. to 3 lbs. dumbbells.
It's a very graceful weight workout that uses compound exercises and a lot of Pilates techniques. It's 45 min. long, and for about 15 min. you also work up quite a sweat doing these plies with upperbody work that is continuous and changing. A very nice change of pace.

When I was on jury duty that one time, it was during the summer, so it didn't interfere with teaching, but I don't think the college would cut my paycheck even if it had. We didn't start getting paid until the second week, and if I remember correctly, it was 50 dollars a day.

The Firm DVD is just straight dancing--no step. It's fun and I look forward to doing it again.

I finally finished Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth. I just couldn't put it down, and that's not good when you have a pile of papers to grade. But it was really good--all 1000 pages!

Hi Ladies:
Well this is my friday,since I have fri,sat and sunday off.I don't know how anyone can do nursing 5 days in a row. I had lunch everyday after 2pm.I was starving.
Deb: I get what your mother was saying.I realize it more when I care for dying patients. People wish so much that the time will fly till their next day off,but then that time comes and that is way to quick.I know I do it myself,I try to make the best of the time I have on this earth and enjoy it because sooner or later I won't have this time. This woman at work is requesting no more food and wants tom die.She has terminal cancer and must weigh 50pds.She looks like a skeleton with skin.Her kids are having a hard time dealing with this.
Garance:Is The Pillars of the Earth the book on Oprah's list?I heard it was a great book.I just haven't had any desire to read lately for some reason.Got to go son is her with a booboo.I'll check in tomorrow.
Hi Josie~Linny~

Good Morning all and Happy Friday!

I did the newest I-Tread that I got yesterday as a free download..It is called "Drills" and it has all kinds of stuff, walking, inclines, "sprints" etc.. It was pretty good.

This is the weekend we go to see the play that we have seasons tickets for...I don;t remember what it is! Anyone have any fun things planned for the weekend?

Josie:
I see you have an ambitious workout weekend planned!

Garance:
You are almost like a testing ground for new workouts! LOL ;-) . This latest sounds interesting. Did you ever get the Heart Rate Monitor? Is the book a spy thriller? That is what I remember about his books.

Linny:
How sad about that woman that has terminal cancer. I watched my Mom go that way too...I was 21 and it was really hard. I think about it now and realize my Dad was only 50 when he lost the love of his life... was it your son with a "boo boo" or your GS? LOL..Have a good 3 days off, you deserve it!

Have a great day

Deb
:)

Hi Deb, Josie, Linny--

This morning I did Leslie Sansone's Walk Slim 4 Fast Miles for a no-brainer workout on Friday. Still am enjoying this one, and I think it's effective with the five intervals of jogging, pendulums, kicks, and knee hops. I finally have her new one: Walk Slim Fast and Firm which I will try next week.

The Pillars of the Earth is the first Ken Follett I have ever read. It's set in 12th century England, so it's definitely not a spy thriller, but there is a lot of intrigue. It's one of Oprah's books. I had my doubts, but it was a real page-turner. Now I have to read Pride and Prejudice again for my class. I almost know this one by heart, but it's still all good.

No, Deb, I never did buy the heart monitor (109 dollars). It was expensive, and I thought that I probably will have to buy some new equipment for the STS series, so I should wait and see.

Linny, I bet it's hard to maintain your professional ease watching someone wasting away like that. I don't think I could do it.

No real weekend plans, although I do plan to go to the mall tomorrow. I desperately need some new cotton nighties and a new slip and camisole. I will try not to be tempted by other goodies!

Hi Ladies:
Deb: Have fun this weekend at the play.I think with all the trauma you've had lately you deserve some fun time.21 is awful young to have to go through a parents death.The woman thats dying has 2 children that she adopted and so I really feel bad for them. They already have lost parents and now they are losing the only mother they have known.Just hope she goes quickly and pain free.
Garance:I went shopping today and bought a few things.I had a 20% off coupon and I just had to use it.Bought towels,car seats,clothes for DGD,sunglasses,jeans for me yahoo!I've got to go buy my corned beef for monday.I'll check in tomorrow.
Hi Josie and Jen~Linny~

Good Morning fellow "Penta's and Beyonds"!

Today is a rest day for me in the workout department. We have a vet appointment for Kelsey and the play this afternoon. It's only been 2 weeks since we were there with Clancy...;( ..at least this is just a regular check up and shots for her.

Garance:
Glad you enjoyed that workout! I am going to have to go over to Amazon and read up on that book, now that you told me it wasn't a spy thriller..can you tell those are not my kind of books? I also think we may be spending more money on STS equipment, if you read the STS forum at all. I am interested to hear more about the new piece of equipment that Cathe is manufacturing that I think will be used for pull ups..I have a pull up bar mounted in a door frame in my basement, but the doors are too low and I could never really use it. Someone asked in a thread if they could use their Fluidity bar for pullups in STS and the reply was "yes"...I am wondering if the one they are making will something like that..

Linny:
I too, hope the woman goes pain free..I feel for the children. Wow you did go on a shopping spree! Sometimes you have to do that and it makes you feel so good;-) .

Ladies: I will start a new weekly thread tomorrow morning so stay tuned!

Deb:)

Hi Deb and any that follow:
Hope you have a good time at play.You deserve it.It must be tough walking into the vet,after what happened the last time you were there;(
I didn't order the STS dvds this time, but the blog looks very interesting.I use to have a chin-up bar and I think I was able to do 3-4 pull-ups and that was it so I got rid of it.
Wore my new jeans today,they are a size 10 and a little snug but I refuse to get a 12. I want to be down in the 130's by June 1st.Even if its 139.9pds,as long as I'm under that 140 mark I'll be happy.
Tomorrow is a busy day my youngest (the one with boo boo)needs to be brought to get a car rental.His ignition switch is broken so I have to rent it since he is under 21.Then my oldest son and DGD are coming over for a visit.Then its grocery shopping after that with my DH's daughter and GS coming over.
I'll try my best to check in tomorrow~Linny~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.