Pentagenarians & Beyond: Week Beg 4/27

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning!

Just wanted to start us out as I have a few minutes before I have to leave to go to the Walk For Babies. I am glad it is sunny, although a little cool. The Walk goes on, rain or shine.

We got an e-mail from the breeder outside of Chicago last night, asking if we were still interested in a puppy...YES! We replied and hopefully, if the 2 males she believes she will have left are a good match, we may be getting a puppy in June, instead of August. If not a match ( and this is most important), we will have to wait for the litter that is about 1 1/2 hours from here. I know people will think we are crazy for going all the way to Chicago instead of waiting 2 more months, but there is no guarantee that the local one will pan out, so we don;t want to miss the opportunity.

I will be back later to check out what everyone is up to today!

Deb

Welcome back, Deb! Hi, Linny--

I decided to sleep in this morning, since I didn't get back from my conference until after 11. It was a long day, but an interesting one. Julia Stiles (actress in the Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum and O and that film with Julia Roberts) was there for the whole conference. She bought the rights to the Bell Jar and plans on both producing and starring in the film as the protagonist, Esther Greenwood. I was very impressed with her and the questions she asked. The whole occasion was very celebratory of Sylvia Plath. Love the Smith College archive.

Anyway I am back. Hope the boating test went well, Linny.

Today DH picked up fourteen little piglets. My nieces were thrilled to see them and of course, the 5 calves. Still two more ladies-in-waiting currently in the maternity ward.

No, Deb, I can understand your wanting the perfect puppy. Hope it works out for you with the June baby.

I'll check in tomorrow with some exercise report. Nothing today.

Hi Deb and Garance:
Welcome back Deb! Did you stay away from those BBQ's?
Is Walk for Babies the same as March of Dimes walk? Hope it didn't rain on your walk.Hope everything works out with puppy.My DH's daughter and DGS will be here shortly.Having a little belated birthday party for DGS.
Garance:Were you one of the speaker at the conference?I did go to website but wasn't sure which one was you. I did pass my boating exam,got a 93%,not bad for a landlubber.So DH is very happy, now he has his boat ride.You have piglets too? How many different types of animals do you have? I did workout today since its only weekends that I can do a "good" workout.Did Rhythmic Step and biceps,felt good.I'll check in later if possible~Linny~

Good Morning and Happy Monday!

We got another reply from the breeder and we called and spoke with her. She says she has 3 males that she is "watching" for us. She is sure she will be able to pick a match out of the 3! We are pretty excited that we will be getting a puppy the first week in June. We have to now make reservations etc for going there to pick up the puppy. She is so nice and such a responsible breeder. Her website is awesome...here is a link in case you want to see.. go to the Puppy page and scroll down to the bottom to see the pictures at 4 weeks old:

http://afterallwirefoxterriers.com/

I did the Chest and Back sections of PUB this morning..

Garance:
It sounds like you had a good time at the conference. 14 piglets must be cute to watch and play with !

Linny:
Yes the "Walk For Babies" is the March of Dimes walk..they did a little changing of the name this year. It was fun and the weather could not have been better...sunny and cool. There were sponsors like Starbucks there, who gave out coffee and scones before the walk, then they served hot dogs and ice cream afterwards! Not clean eating but good! Cudos ^^^ to you for passing the boat test. I bet your DH is happy.

Have a great day!

Deb

Hi Deb and Linny--

This morning I did Leslie Sansone's 4 Fast Miles with the resistance band on the last mile. This is the one where you cannot turn her voice off. But I work up a good sweat and the music is the best on this one.

Ooh--lovely little puppies. And only about one month to wait. So pleased for you, Deb.

Yes, Linny, I was a speaker at the 11:30 session. It was a repeat of my Oxford talk, so I did not have to make any changes. High fives on your boating exam.

When I returned home from my office yesterday, Celeste had just calved. DH thinks she waited until the nieces were gone. They were so eager to see a calf being born that they spent a lot of time watching the two pregnant ladies, making them nervous. One more to go, and then my poor DH can have an uninterrupted night of sleep and stop getting up every two hours to check on the ladies.

Cold and rainy today. Cannot really complain, though, after the gorgeous week we had, and we need the rain.

Only two more weeks of classes. Yeah!!

Hi Ladies:
Deb: Those puppies are So Cute! Makes me want to get one. I'd like to get a dog once I retire(some day).How big to the terriers get?I'd like something small.
DH and I did go and celebrate passing boat exam saturday nite.So I didn't lose any weight this weekx( I wish I could snap my fingers and weight be gone.
Garance:I don't think I would ever be able to speak in front of a big crowd like that.The most I ever had to was about 30,and that was pretty stressful. Congrats on your new addition,hope next birth is soon for your DH's sake.
I was able to get a MD appt this coming friday,she had a cancellation.Hopefully I work be to tired so I can ask her some questions.
Cold and rainy here also.Start of another work week tonite.~Linny~

Good Morning & Happy Tuesday!

Today I did a 40 minute I-Tread. I keep trying to push myself on these so that I can actually walk at the pace she sets, but it is pretty hard. I find myself about .2 lower than her pace.

It's pretty cool here today, hopefully it won't rain. It rained most of the day yesterday. I have to go to Oakville Ontario this morning to visit a client.

Garance:
How nice..another calf! :) Your DH must be looking foward to a good night's sleep. How does Leslie work bands into her workout? You are so lucky to only have 2 more weeks to work, then the summer off?

Linny:
I'm with you on the speaking thing...x( ..very stressful. Terriers come in all sizes, depending on the breed. Ours are around 22 pounds. Little ones like Yorkies can be 5 or 6 pounds. If you have never had a dog, a terrier is probably not the way to go! LOL;-) . They can be pretty challenging. I hope you are able to get all your questions answered at the DR apt. write them down so you don;t forget.

I wonder what happened to Jen?

Have a great day!

Deb:)

Hi Deb and Linny--

This morning I did Jari Love's Get Chiseled and Ripped--a little over 63 min. This time I watched the clock, because it's broken down into 3-4 minute chapters.

Oh--after 36 years of teaching, I am not that nervous in front of an audience, but I still feel a bit edgy until I actually get going, and I always have to feel really well-prepared. I cannot stand people who Uh and Um every other word. It drives me kaflooey! There was one of those at the conference--agh!

During the summer, I do research--occasionally at archives in Atlanta, Bloomington, London, Northampton, writing, and a lot of reading, some of it professional, some just fun and exploratory.

So terriers are a bit difficult? Are they stubborn and independent, with minds of their own?

Put my down jacket on today. Really raw here and still raining occasionally.

Yes, I wonder what happened with Jen, too. And Josie hasn't visited here in awhile. "And then there were none." Oh no--who is picking off the pentagenarians, one by one??

Hi Deb, Linny and Garance,

I have been very busy and have not had a chance to check in.

I had an MRI last Wednesday to check my head because of my fall and the results were normal. I also had to go and have my knee checked and that was normanl to, no fracture.

I did workout last week and did not feel well after I did my push ups, I could feel it on my forehead where I had the stitches.

On Saturday I walked 3 miles and went to the dunes on Sunday.
Today I will be going to the gym and taking a hard core class.

Deb, I'm so happy that you are getting a new puppy!

Garance, It looks like you work harder during vacation.

Linny, I'm glad that you passed your boting lic.

Have a great day everyone! It is in the high 80's here in LA.

Josie

Hi Ladies:
Deb:Hope your trip to Ontario was a success.Never been there but I heard beautiful country.It has been raining off and on today(good sleeping weather) I think a little Yorkie would be more to my liking.Less in the pooper scooper.My DH used to have a greyhound and we had to get a backhoe to pick up his poop :p
I'll be sure to write down questions as the week progresses for MD appt.I don't want to miss anything,since who knows the next time I'll be able to get another appt.
I have been wondering about Jen too,I hope everything is alright.Probably just really busy with new job.

Garance:I had to pull out a warmer coat also.I think we had a high of 48 today.BRRR! Do you have any big plans for your summer vacation? Only 2 more weeks,lucky.
Last few weeks I've been having some wicked hot flashes.Yuck!Last night at work I felt like I was melting.Missed my period this month.Hope I don't have a problem like I did beginning of year.

Josie:Glad to see you are still with us.Happy that your MRI was normal.Its pretty scary when you hit your head and then have issues later.Sounds like you're still the energizer bunny:) Hey stop teasing about your 80 degree weather;-) ~Linny~

Good Morning and Happy Wednesday!

No workout for me today:-( ..I just did not want to get up. I woke up before the alarm went off, turned it off and tried to get more sleep..not happening. So I just layed there for a while, then got up and made some coffee. Not sure what this is about.. tomorrow is another day.

Very excited about making plans to get the puppy. The breeder has a yahoo group that is made up of all past people who have her puppies. My are they a chatty bunch! We joined in and are getting e-mails every hour!

I was looking at my calendar at work yesterday, and saw that I am in Washington next week, Monday through Wednesday.. I can;t believe I forgot all about that trip. I am tired of traveling..

Garance:
Cudos to you for being able to stand in front of crowds and speak! What is your secret to making an audience want to listen to you? I can speak, but I am a boring speaker...I just want to get it over with. Some speakers actually seem to like what they are doing..not me. I think the audience can tell I am doing this only because someone is making me do it! Yes..terriers are stubborn, independent, but lots of fun! I , too wore my ski parka to walk Kelsey yesterday, with a hat and gloves. It was 32 when we went to bed last night. Hopefully all the "Pentas" will stick around..I am worried about Jen.

Josie:
Glad you are on the mend! It is great that your injuries were not as serious as they could have been. Good thing for you to get all checked out. I know you will be running those dunes soon! You are our "gazelle" remember?;-)

Linny:
The trip to Canada went well. Yes, the Poop of a greyhound would be more to pick up than we are used to! But with 2 dogs, it is a daily task for DH..( it's his job not mine!). It sure sounds like you are into the big "M"..hot flashes, missed periods...etc. I bet this is the cause of your hives too.

Have a great day ladies!

Deb

Hi to Deb, Linny, and Josie--

This morning I did my other Leslie Sansone 4 mile with the 5 2-minute boosted walk intervals. This is the one where I can turn her off (Yes!).

Deb, what do you DO on all these trips? Are they experimenting to see how long it takes to Fedex you? (Just kidding.) There was a time when I would have found all that travel enviable, but given the current state of air travel, I don't.

Is it my imagination, or do we pentagenarians suffer more than the average number of maladies and injuries? I fell twice this year, once dislocating my knee. Jen, when she was with us, had that elevator accident and some major issues with her immune system. Linny is the victim of mysterious hives and is now beginning to deal with the big M. Josie is recovering from a nasty fall. Deb had that wicked cold that would not go away and major sadness over Clancy. Have I forgot anything?

Linny, the only sense in which I regard the summer months as a vacation is as a vacation from students. I do my own work during the summer--writing and research for my scholarly writing.

I am an entertaining speaker--for an academic. I try to conceive of my talks as talks, rather than as academic papers to be read, which is, unfortunately, the usual habit of my colleagues. I figure if I am really amused by, interested in what I'm saying that I will communicate that humor and intensity to an audience. Regrettably, many academic speakers give papers so that they can have one more thing on their resumes. I'm too old and tenured to worry about that anymore.

Welcome back, Josie!! Hope my litany of woes above hasn't convinced you that we are bad luck.

Hi Deb,Garance and Josie:

Sorry you didn't get in a workout today. Maybe your just all excited about new puppy and had a restless sleep. I had a rough time sleeping today,woke occasionally with a hot flash. You do seem to travel a lot. It must be so nice coming home to your own bed after. Thats the one thing I really missed when I travel.
Garance:I hope all our "bad luck" didn't scare Jen away. Hopefully we'll all have a better rest of the year. It sounds like you really enjoy your profession. Thats great,you don't usually hear of to many peaople loving what they do for work.I was hoping to do alittle bit of Leslie Sansone today.We'll see how I feel after dinner.
Tonight is medication sheet change over.My shift changes over all med sheets to the month of May.Hopefully it will be quiet and it will be a smooth change.
Josie:Hope you are staying injury free.Please send some 80's to us~Linny~

Good Morning!

It's Thursday and I am counting down the days until the weekend! I did Slow & Heavy Legs this morning. Wanted to get it out of the way. Legs are my least favorite workout, not sure why. I used to love lower body work, now did a complete 180 and dread it. Not much going on here. Very cool weather, at least no rain yesterday.

Garance:
I work for the Customs clearance side of Fedex..we handle all the work to get shipments cleared from all over. Most of what I handle is from Canada, because of the close proximity. I am involved in a lot of Customs projects which is why I go to Washington about 3-4 times a year, and am a VP for the Northern Border Customs Brokers Association. The meeting next week in DC is the association's spring meeting. You are sure right about all the injuries and illness we have had. At least we are all still doing our workout thing and trying to keep healthy. Believe me, it is not just us Pentagenarians that are suffering. I post on another thread, that has mostly 30 year olds and they have the same problems! Lots of illnesses etc. Regarding the speaking, I find it hard to make the stuff we present funny or interesting..it is pretty dry and boring. I may have to speak at a seminar mid June for one day, and I am dreading it. I am a terrible public speaker. Any tips?

Linny:
Sorry about your sleep problems. I can relate! How did the night go for you? Was the sheet change over smooth?

Have a great day!

Deb

Hi Deb, Garance and Linny,

I will be taking the Hard Core class at my gym this evening. I really like this class, it works your whole body while using your core muscles. I might get there before class and do 30 minutes on the elliptical.

Linny, I had a sleepless night also because of hot flashes. I do not get them as often as I used to, but once in a while they come back.

Have a great day ladies!

Josie

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie--

This morning I did 4ds HIS with Chest and Back (58 min.).

It's reassuring to know that the 30-year-olds are not immune to "all the ills that flesh is heir to." I guess I shouldn't be surprised. This week I've been teaching Byron and Shelley. Byron died at age 36 and Shelley at 30--malaria and drowning respectively. Byron was fighting in the Greek war for independence and Shelley just got swamped in a squall off the coast of Italy. Next week I teach poor Keats, who died of TB at age 23.

You might try to spice things up, Deb, with pertinent anecdotes, and sometimes it's just best to tell them, "Be prepared for dry and boring," which will probably get you one laugh. If you then surprise them with at least one thing that's a fun fact or story, you'll be ahead.

Sounds like you are roaring back, Josie, with some tough stuff.

Another long afternoon teaching, followed by honors presentations.

Have a great Thursday!

Deb: Are you giving those 30yr olds a heads up on the good times of menopause? My sister has been going through it for 5 years now.I'm going to GYN/OB tomorrow,hopefully they take my insurance from my new job(just thought about that). Putting my list of questions together tonite,appt at 3:30. Was a crazy night last night.The nurse I warned them about hiring was a No Call No show.Which didn't surprise me,since she did do this at the facility where I was the ADON. My Director said from now on they will come to me before they hire,I told her I had a feeling this was going to come back and bite me in the a**.So tonight I may be the only nurse on my unit due to this twit.
Garance: Must be nice knowing that things are winding down towards summer break(from students).
Josie: Yep,had another sleep of being woken up twice by hot flashes.Not enough to drench the bed but a little sweating.Its weird sometimes I'll have a cold flash and then soon after have hot flash.Is this common?
Ladies Have a great night~Linny~

Good Morning ...it's Finally Friday!

I just finished PUB, shoulders, triceps & biceps.. my arms are still shaking, I can hardly type! I like breaking this down into 2 upper body splits, then I do a different leg workout another day. I don;t like the leg portion of this one.

Josie:
That class sounds interesting. Does it have weights? Sorry you are also having issues with the "flashes"..what's going on around here? is it the weather change?

Garance:
Nice info on the poets...I did not realize how young some were when they died. How old was Browning when he died? Thanks for the speaker tips..I think I will try to throw some "real life" incident in there to make it more interesting. Sitting and listening to government regulations has to be the worst!x(

Linny:
Yes..I am warning them! Right now most are having monthly issues, with "Aunt Flo" visits, while I have an occasional hot flash at night! Some are in their early 40's and are starting to get some M symptoms. Ah..such is life. That really stinks about that No Show nurse! My hot flashes are weird.. first I wake up for what appears to be no reason. I lay there for about a minute, then I turn into an inferno}( ..then just when I kick off all the covers, I start to freeze..I am glad they have really tapered off, and I don;t get them too frequently any more. The day time ones have basically stopped. That was even worse..I was sitting in a meeting with a client one, and the sweat was dripping off my face..I was so embarassed!

Have a great day!

Deb

Hi Deb, Linny, and Josie--

This morning I did 4ds LIS with shoulders, calves, and abs (66 min.).

Ahh-Friday is here. I will be whistling carefree next Friday, I'm sure. Still some class preparation to do.

Sounds like you had the same kind of night sweats as I, Deb. Wake up for no reason, throw the covers off, proceed to meltdown, totally drenched, then as suddenly cold and clammy. Boy, I'm glad that's in the past. I probably could have braved them out, but for the hot flashes during the day. HRT really helped me with both. Hope you get some relief, Linny, if not HRT, then some other helpful alternative therapies.

Robert Browning lived to a ripe old age--77.

Well ladies I'm bumming. Went to MD appt but didn't get to see her.She had an emergency C-section and they had to reschedule me. Got up early and rode all the way there for nothingx( .So it will be next friday for appt. Was so hoping for some HRT.
Busy at work last night since I was the only nurse.At least they were able to get a Med tech to come in at 5am to help with morning med pass.
As I was walking into hospital for my appt today,I saw a nurse I worked with at Visiting nurses.She told me that alot of nurses are quitting there because its a big mess.They schedule nurses to see patients, the nurse gets to patients home and the patient was just seen by another nurse. She said other nurses were saying I was smart getting out when I did.
I hope all you ladies have a great night~Linny~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.