Pentagenarians and Beyond W/B June 27

garance

Cathlete
Hi everyone! I think I am the first to post, so I will get things started.

This morning I did disk 25 meso 3 for chest and back (68 min.). I'm using my new 25s and I feel the difference.

Yesterday, I went to see Dance Theatre of Harlem Ensemble at Jacob's Pillow. Really enjoyed them tremendously. One piece was very evocative of African dance, another was an homage to Balanchine that really did seem to work with his moves. Loved all of it. Came home, watched half of the USA-Ghana game, went out for dinner, came home and watched the second half. So disappointing!

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend! Thinking of you, Josie, on your 30 mile ride.

yesterday i did hard core fusion. love that workout. went heavy on wts, and used my 2# wt gloves thru the whole workout.
friday i did tracie's step forward & her new power up, cuz some of my workouts this week were cut short. so i made up for that fri & sat.
today i am gonna rest, well, maybe not rest, but not workout anyway, and try to stay in the house out of the heat for the day.
so, how was everyone's weekend?

Monday

Good Morning all,

I spent the weekend with friends in Niagara Falls Ontario. Great time! Now it's back to reality. No workout, but hey, there is always tomorrow right?

Garance, thanks for starting the week for us.

Cathy, you are going gangbusters with the workouts!

Have to run...later...

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan (are you back?), Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Zumba Cardio Party (46 min.). The dewpoint is about 69 degrees here, and we are talking totally humid. I worked up quite a sweat on this one.

Deb, it sounds like you had a good time with your friends. What did you do? Just visit?

Cathy, I can never figure out what your DVDs are for your workouts. Are they all Tracie Long or are there an equal number of Firms in there? How long are they and are they cardio, circuits, or weights?

Joan, did you win in LV? Did you watch your calories or throw caution to the winds?

Hi to Josie and Valerie!

Good evening,

I'm back. I went to bed at 10:00 last night and got up at 10:00 this morning. I can't believe I slept 12 hours.

Garance I can't believe my eating either. I went just trying to stay the same and be careful. I wasn't sure that would really happen. I ate desserts at least once a day but really watched portions. Yea it did work. I got down to 168 which was the 1 lb from week ending June 21 and stayed the same last week.

I won pretty big on Sunday and Friday. Unfortunately I lost the rest of the week. Overall I was just down a little so I'm happy.

Today is supposed to be the start of meso 3. I may wait until tomorrow or the next day . I had my 3rd laser treatment today and they upped the power again. I look like I have 3rd degree burns.

Joan

Tuesday

Good morning!

I did the "Up Only" for Pyramid Lower Body, and only did the standing leg portion. I do not like floor leg work. It is only 62 here this moring and it feels lovely. It was a steam bath here yesterday, ugh.

Garance, you had the same weather as we did yesterday. My friends did a lot of visiting, chatting, saw the Falls. We went to Niagara-on-the-Lake, a cute little village type place with shops, candy stores, etc. It is where they have the Shaw Festival each year, and do a whole bunch of plays by G. B. Shaw. We went to one of the Margarettaville's, it just opened I guess. There were the Jimmy Buffet fans in the group, it was a good time.

Joan, welcome back and cudos on the weight! It is very rare that someone can go to LV and lose weight! Have you seen any difference with the laser treatments? OUCH!

Hi to Valerie, Cathy & Josie,

Take care,

Good morning all.

I'm heading off to yoga shortly and have a full day otherwise, and need to get in disk 21 later. have to skip #20 since we're hiking on wed and I can't be sore from the get-go. I did 19 the other day, and did a decent hike on sunday, about 6 hours, around 8 miles. monday was yard max but nothing THAT strenuous. lots of up and down hill dragging stuff, weeding... work but not really a workout. visited some friends who climb and had a short class on glacier travel and crevasse rescue. DH and I have considered taking a course but are undecided. it's expensive and time consuming and not sure how much we'd actually use the skills.

watched "the blind side" the other night. oh please, sandra bullock got an oscar for that? a too-nice story and way too cute-sy and unrealistic. I wasn't in a rush for this one because I don't care for her in general but I can't believe she got an oscar for that. more later, gotta get moving.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did P-57 express for legs and abs (30 min.) and followed it with the Zumba Cardio Express (20 min.).

Deb, ages ago I went to that Shaw festival. Really good productions--like the Stratford Ontario Shakespeare productions. Sounds like you had a great time. I am looking forward to vacation--a couple weeks away.

Good for you, Joan, on the eating. Portion size is always what I rely on, so if a restaurant has given me too much, I just take the other half home. Guess you can't do that in LV, though. Did you go to any shows in LV?

Valerie, I think Hollywood just gets sentimental at Oscar time when it's a "true" story based on a real person. Reminds me of Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich. I suppose Meryl Streep should have won for Julie and Julia, but that would have been another "true" story based on a real person, and not as "inspiring." I just wish there was something I wanted to see this summer, but everything just gets such miserable reviews--unless you want to indulge your inner child and see Toy Story 3.

Hi to Josie and Cathy!

Wednesday

Good morning,

Today I did Cardio Coach #7, 38 minutes, 270 calories. It is beautiful here today, cool right now and low humidity. I hope it stays this way. I am so looking forward to a 4 day weekend! DH and I may take the dogs to a creek where he fishes and maybe picnic or something. I will bring a good book and relax.

Valerie, I bet if you had a HRM on when you were lugging stuff up and down hills you would see what a workout that was.

Garance, yes they have good productions at the Shaw festival. Did you come all the way up here for that? DH said that Toy Story 3 could be a little "dark" for children, with toys getting killed or something. I like Toy Story 1, I don't think we saw the second one. We are so bad when it comes to watching or going to movies. One of my co-workers gave me a DVD a couple of months ago, said it was a pretty good movie, and I cannot get DH to sit down and watch it with me. I guess I will watch it alone some time, so I can give it back. :rolleyes:..it's some football true story, the name escapes me right now.

Hi to Josie, Joan, & Cathy..

Take care,

This morning I did Jazzercise Dancin' Abs (60 min.).

Deb, ages ago, before marriage, I was seeing someone who taught at Peterborough and I spent 9 months with him while on an assistant professor's leave, and we went to both the Shakespeare festival in Stratford and the Shaw festival. Seems ages ago now. He (former love interest) seems to have utterly vanished. The last I heard, he had decided to enter a Buddhist monastery.

I'm not sure what we are doing for the fourth. Probably doing some kind of cookout if DH is not too busy haying. We are going to another party on the fifth.

Cathy, are you in line for some winds and rain from hurricane Alex?

Hi to Josie, Joan, and Valerie (who, I believe, is off camping)!

Thursday

Good morning,

No workout today, not sure why. I should have gotten up. I am off after today, a nice 4 day weekend. DH and I want to take the dogs and go somewhere that I can sit and read with the dogs, and he can cast. Then do a picnic of some sort. There is a place in Caldonia called Spring Creek that we have done this before.

Garance, are you doing any weight work? I still am trying to get myself psyched to doing one body part each day using STS meso 2. I don't know if I can do the treadmill 5 or 6 days in a row though. I did order the new Kelly Coffey-Meyer DVD's. I wish they were here, nice 30 minute workouts, just what I like.

Joan, how is the healing going this time?

Josie, any bike rides lately?

Cathy, will you be celebrating the holiday with grandkids?

Valerie, I am sure you will be camping, hiking or riding!

Take care,

This morning I did disk 27 (67 min.) for sh, bis, tris.

Yes, Deb, I am on my first week of meso 3. That's why I bought the 25s and 30s in dumbbells. Sounds like you are so ready for a long weekend. We are having inlaws over on Sunday and DH will do those beer can chickens on the grill. They end up so moist and good, and best of all, they are our own pasture-raised. I am making some mac and cheese, a big salad, and a raspberry buttermilk cake for dessert--with ice cream, of course. Very easy cake. Then on the 5th, friends are having what they call a "beer garden party" in their back yard. Everything is in bloom, and although it's barely 60 degrees today, it's supposed to really heat up by the 4th.

What is everyone else planning for this weekend? Any fireworks displays?

Nothing went as planned. didn't have time to do the upper body disk tuesday. wed we planned a hike but the weather forecast tanked. after it rained all night and much of the next morning we were clearly not hiking. cleared in the afternoon so we did a 2 hr bike ride, about 25 miles near here. we usually work out in the morning so it felt funny doing this from 1-3 pm, but whatever works. It's still quite cold and wet here, probably won't get to 60 today and cloudy. some summers are very un summer-like.

Deb, I need to work looong to get my heart rate up. hauling stuff up and downhill, I bet I don't break 100. for a long time i used to wear my HRM when we xc skied or hiked, and I "live" between 120-130 when doing endurance work. today I will do the dreaded leg workout, disk 20 i think, and maybe an upper body one that was intended for tuesday. if I don't have time ( might not) I can do it tomorrow.
'the blind side" was a football "true story". not a bad movie but simple and too good to be true. most adult movies are less obvious, and sandra bullock was pretty irritating. I liked her in 'crash" and that's it.

We plan on an easy bike ride with friends on monday and maybe a day hike one day. the 4th is my least favorite holiday. we live "out in the county". there are no fireworks restrictions and lots of totally illegal stuff gets sold on indian reservations all around here. It's pretty loud. if the weather is dry we never leave for fear of fire. we end up getting little sleep for several nghts until the idiots blow up all the junk they bought. when I was a kid we always spent the 4th with some people I didn't like, so I had a bad attitude about the 4th from the get-go. Local government has proposed limiting fireworks to just public displays like in many of the more densely populated areas but so far no luck. I have no problem with public displays and wish it were limited to that.

Lynda sounds like a great menu. and then you're all set to work it off with the 25's and 30's. the blind side DID remind me of Erin Brockovich, but that was a vastly better movie. the character had good points but enough flaws to make her human. I don't know what word describes a movie/character that is just too good, too perfect, too righteous.??? we always think of the rob redford movie, Brubaker which suffered from that problem.

Friday

Hi,

I am off today, and DH is as well. I did Chalene's Burn Cardio thing this morning, it was ok, I thought it would be harder. Of course I had to modify, not do any of the jumping. We did a lot of errands this morning, ended up buying 2 vacuum cleaners, one for home and one for his office. Now I have to sell my BIG ol' Kirby on Craig's list or something, it is so big and so heavy, no one wants to use it, including me. I also went to Kohl's and bought a new purse and another toe ring..love toe rings.

We have no real plans for the 4th. We want to take the dogs somewhere, but not sure if we will go to the stream where DH can cast and I can read, or just to go a park around here where we can walk them off of the street. They enjoy that and it's not a 2 hour ride in each direction.

I guess while I am waiting for my Kelly coffey -myer new DVD's I will attempt a one body part per day week with Meso 2.

Garance, that menu sounds great. I love mac & cheese, probably too much.

Valerie, sorry your plans were messed up with the weather, it never fails. At least you were able to get a bike ride in.

Hi to Josie, Joan & Cathy,

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

I don't know what has been the matter this week but I have just been dragging. I was on the treadmill Mon., Tues, and Wed but yesterday did nothing. Wednesday I ended up babysitting from 9 am until 6pm.
Yesterday my mother had a rash starting to circle her body and I thought she got shingles again. Fortunately it was just a rash but it meant a trip to the doctor.

I need to start meso 3. I always have trouble after a rest week. I wish I loved lifting. Or for that matter any exercise.

We live in a very populated area but they do sell fireworks. You are only supposed to fire them off on the 4th but it has been booming for the last couple of days.

Joan

Got in disk 20(legs) and coremax #2 so OK for exercise yesterday. this time I got what I expected, I'm a little sore but not walking wounded. I need to keep re-learning the same lesson; do not skip squats and lunges for more than 10 days no matter what. today upper body and cardio. tomorrow a hike.

Deb, vacuums are such a rip off. I have spent ridiculous $$ to keep mine running and I don't abuse them. we are working our way toward less carpet (like so many people) and it makes it a lot easier to keep dlean.
Joan, I pretty much ignore rest weeks. I do something different from what I'd been doing but I don't "rest" much... too hard to rev back up. I don't ( unless I'm sick) take more than 2 days off. I take easier days but it works best for me if I don't stop.

the one thing nice about the cold wet weather is that it discourages idiots from going out at midnight blowing off M-80's. It's illegal stuff but enforcement is impossible. too readily available and enough people have no self control and don't save things for the 4th. besides, to figure out where it's coming from you need to get up, get out the car and drive around to figure out who to report, and then call it in, and generally we don't have enough police to be running around on fire-cracker calls. the main issue is interrupted sleep and doing all that makes sure you won't get any sleep! this year has been pretty good because it's been so wet and cold so windows have been closed , but it sounds like weather will be turning to summer next week. If it were all done on the 4th I wouldn't complain so much, it's the random KA-BOOMS at unexpected times for weeks, day or night.

This morning I did Petra Kolber's Just Dance (50 min.).

Sounds like no one here likes fireworks. When I lived in NYC, the fireworks over the Hudson were spectacular. We don't have anything like that here and not too many crazies with firecrackers. When I was a kid, I loved those sparklers you could wave around at night. Probably dangerous, but everything is, it seems. If statistics are correct, July 4th weekend is the worst weekend of the year for traffic accidents--so maybe we should all stay off the highways.

Unbelievably good chicken thighs and drumsticks (skinless) last night. You douse them (eight) in 1/2 C. of Dijon mustard, then roll them in a mixture of 3/4 C. panko crumbs, 3/4 C. grated parmesan cheese, 3/4 tsp. cayenne and 3 Tbsp. melted butter, slip them in a 450 degree onion for 30 min. Boy, were they tasty!

Valerie, I watched Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist the other night. Not bad! Reminded me of American Graffiti. I am pretty sure the woman in the Blindside is authentically like her portrayal in the movie. She was on the Today show and seems like a real crusader. I like Sandra Bullock (especially in Miss Congeniality), and she did not really want this part until she met the woman, for precisely the reasons you didn't like the movie--too sentimental, inspirational for you.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Saturday

Good morning,

Another beautiful day here. Right now it is cool and the sun is starting to peek out, blue gorgeous sky.

I may go shopping with my cousin to the local outlet mall, but I expect it will be crowded with Canadians, they love this outlet as it is right across the border for them. We may be going to my cousins for a cook out tomorrow as well.

Joan, babysitting for that many hours can be logged as a workout! Glad your Mom did not have shingles again.

Valerie, I agree on vacuums. I have had good luck with them. I still have the Hoover portable that was my Mom's It is still running well, the vaccum store guy actually told me that if I ever wanted to get rid of it, he would buy it from me! It has to be over 40 years old. My mom has been gone for 36 years and she had it for a while before she died. Anytime I need parts for it, my favorite vacuum guy has to scrounge around for me to find them. It is not good for rugs, but for floors, especially cleaning around the parrot cage it is awesome! We have all area rugs over hardwood floors, so we need to have both an upright vacuum and one that is good on floors, which is why I have kept the Hoover for so long. As for firecrackers, we will have a bunch going off too, hopefully they won't start until tomorrow, and not do them late. ugh...they are illegal here too, but that never stops anyone.

Garance, interesting chicken recipe, what are panko crumbs?

Hi to Josie, & Cathy,

Have a great day!

hey everyone, sorry to be awol. busy week, as usual.
yesterday i did jiggle free arms & express cardio.
today i did STS cardio core circuit. that sucker is really tough. i have only done it once, and i forgot what it was like. i was tired today, too, and i probably should have picked another workout, but didn't think it would be so hard.

anyway, i'll see ya'll tomorrow , i hope. hope to catch up on everyone.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.