Pentagenarians & Beyond! W/B Jan 11

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning!

Today I plan on doing a Kelly Coffee Myer weight workout. I am tired of the 1RM testing for now. We got a lot of snow last evening, but at least it did not continue for the whole night. Maybe 3 or 4 inchs, but on top of what we already had. DH went to work at a dog show, I opted not to go. I really have a lot of stuff to do around here. Kelsey had her first night without the cone, and she seemed to leave her incision alone. We shall see.

Garance, you always make such good meals! DH stopped by a restaurant with his fly tieing buddies for a beer and brought home a chicken finger stromboli that we shared for dinner. That is how I cook! This place does not have a fryer and bakes all ingredients, in a whole wheat crust...it was pretty good. They even have one night a week where everything they make on the menu is done with gluten free bread. DH heard that they are packed that night too. Somehow I think DWTS is supposed to start back up in March...not sure where I heard it though. Yes, we love watching House..the only TV show he watches.

Joan, definitely alternate cardio and weights, your joints will love you for it! Wow 400 questionaires! whew you must have been tired. Maybe you can consider this your workout? LOL! This is the season though..

Linny, so you are worried about the stress of the day job? is it because you would be in a management position? Good work on the eliptical!

Have a great day and stay warm!

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie, and Joan--

This morning I did Kelly C-M's Cardio Sculpt (70 min.). But DH and I plan to do some snowshoeing this afternoon for about an hour, and that is quite a workout, believe me. But the snow here is really lovely and it isn't tooo cold--in the 20s. We had another 3-5 inches last night, but the sun is out now.

MMMM--that stromboli sounds excellent, Deb. I really like Kelly's 30 minute weight workouts, as you know--I've been doing them for weeks now. I go pretty heavy and that seems to be working for me.

Joan, I have terrible knees. For awhile, I was getting a cortisone shot in my left knee every 6 months for about 2 years, and once in my right knee. I have been very fortunate, though, this past year and have not needed to see my orthopedic surgeon for any shots. I do take Osteo-biflex and a dose of Advil almost every day. I try to eliminate a lot of the impact, my lunges and squats are not as deep as they used to be, and I am down to a 4 inch step. You might want to try cortisone and see if it gets rid of the inflammation for awhile.

Well, Linny, I am as psyched as your DH about 24. The reviews are looking good, and tonight is a 2 hour opening episode.

It's supposed to get really, really, really cold this week, so I am taking out our frozen pesto from last summer's garden basil, making an antepasto dish with plum tomatoes and mozzarella from Ina Garten, and an apple tart, also from Ina, for a dinner party on Thursday. A real summer meal! My way of foiling winter.

Hi garance, Deb, Josie and Linny,

I did 1 hour on treadmill, very slowly. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

garance - Five years ago my knees hurt frequently and then I started to lift and go to gym. I strengthed around the knee until I was pain free.:D The only thing I couldn't do were walking lunges. After two years I was finally able to do walking lunges. I continued for another year 3 times per week until I stopped to take care of Elliot. Even during the last two years of doing nothing my knees didn't bother me. I guess I was surprised when it hurt worse than I had ever had before and seemed to come on so suddenly. Fortunately I think rest has helped. I am going to go really slowly and carefully on cardio until I lose some of the weight.

Deb - I will stop complaining about the swing from 50 to 0 degrees we seem to keep having and be glad we don't have your snow. I keep seeing in one thread someone asking for snow. I don't want it for the driving. It does seem like garance's snowshoeing would be a fun and hard wo.

Hope you're having a good weekend Josie and Linny.

Joan

Monday and a new week!

Good Morning!

Today I did an I-Tread that was pretty hard...it is called "flat & fast" and believe me it was! I can never really keep up with the speeds they use but I keep my own pace that is the same amount less than theirs, I feel like I am doing it ok..if that makes sense!

I love this little guy!

Garance, if you had a heart rate monitor with calorie count, you would be amazed at how many calories you probably burned doing snow shoeing. That summer meal sounds yummy! It's supposed to go to single digits this week here!

Joan, you were lucky that you were able to get your knees in shape using workouts. I also take a supplement like Garance, called "Move Free Advanced" every day. I have Osteopenia, the pre-cursor to Osteoporosis, so I am careful about my bones/joints.

Linny, good luck in the job situation today! Here is Linny on her new eliptical!

Josie, how are you doing?

Keep warm...

This morning I did the horizontal premix on Kelly C-M's Step Kickboxing (50 min.).

Love that little guy, Deb. He just keeps coming back for more. You are so right about the snowshoeing. We were out for about 90 minutes going up and down back on our land which is mountainous and woody. It was perfect snow and perfect weather for it--no wind and in the 20s. I worked up a pretty good sweat, especially on the inclines. It was also just aesthetically pleasing--very still, and the snow was crystalline and since it was late afternoon (4-5:30), the light was that mysterious blue. Saw a lot of tracks, but no animals.

My knee pain had very little to do with muscle, Joan. It's the cartilage that's slowly disappearing. I expect eventually I will have a couple knee replacements, but I am trying to keep that away as long as I can.

24 got off to a rousing start last night. Another episode tonight, and then it's American Idol on Tuesday.

Man is it going to get cold later this week and into the weekend. I'm really pleased I got my snowshoeing in before this onslaught.

Hi to Linny and Josie.

Good Morning Ladies,

My weekend was busy taking care of Alex. He is my 1 year old GS, he was so much fun but it kept me busy. I had a touch of the stomach flu this weekend and I still feel a bit quizy. I will be doing cardio this evening on my treadmill, it has been sitting in my garage just collecting dust.

I will be changing my weight training to Tu, Th and Sundays. My partner is a bit slow and I need more time to do ME on Sunday. I will be doing the pyramids during the week.

I have been considering getting rid of my partner. I don't know how to do it without hurting her feellings. She is always late and slow and most times has no energy because she does not eat right. She is a vegetarian and she is always doing some kind of clensing.
She even bonks on me when we go for a walk.

I have told her that she need to eat more and more often. She tell me that sometimes she forgets to eat. How can someone forget to eat?

Have a great day!

Josie

Good afternoon Deb, garance, Josie, Linny,

FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST
No babysitting until April 20.:D Well actually I've already been asked to pick her up at 3:00 a couple times a week so her mom can go to the gym.

Of course my work is starting to get busy but that is not near as tiring as a 2 year old.

Josie - I have no idea how anyone can forget to eat. Can you just start working out when you are supposed to start and not wait for her? When she does show up just keep going.

garance and Deb - Your faithful posting and exercising is very motivating.

My knees weren't the muscle but something about supporting the knees kept the wear and tear down. Don't understand why or how it worked. Maybe keeping the inflamation down?

I am planning to do lower body later today. Maybe plb?

Joan

Hi Joan,

I agree with you about building up the muscles around your knees. I have done 12 marathons an countless 5k's, 10'ks and half marathons and never had knee problems because of the weight training.

Regarding my partner, I have tried doing just what you suggested, but it does not help.
I feel guilty and end up rewinding. I should get tough and just continue once I start the tape and not rewind. I told her that she needs to be at my house at 5:15 otherwise I will be late for work or I have to cut the workout short.

I also agree about taking care of a baby. It is more tiring that regular work.

Josie

Hi Ladies: Had first day of orientation of new job today.Got some mixed messages today.Assist Director gave different story on earned time and insurance plan than Director.So I'm not sure whats going on with that.She also asked me if I made decision about unit manager position.I explained that I talked with Director on friday and she said job was still available and to come in and speak to some nurses.Assist didn't know what nurses she was talking about.If earned time is like Assist said I'm better off going back to old job.We'll see what happens at the end of this week.
Deb: Love the little elliptical guy.Actually I think he's in the same shape as me:eek:.My elliptical has a heart rate monitor on it,seems like I always have to slow down to get in fat burning mode.Then the machine says I'm not going fast enough.
Garance:I would love to go snowshoeing,but this stupid hives cancel that right out.My DH got me a pair of crosscountry skis 2yrs ago that I haven't been able to use:(.DH was watching 24 as I dozed off.I never watched show before since I usually was taking my nap before work.
JoanC:Glad to hear you get a babysitting break.Its nice to help out DD with childcare but I don't know how you do everyday.I'd pull my hairout.
Josie:Too bad your partner,good idea telling her you have plans when tape is done so you can't rewind it.Hope it works.
Have a great night ladies.~Linny~

Back again,
Forgot "official weigh in" 166lbs. This is 1/2lb less than week before Christmas and 7lbs down from start date. Yea!

Wo was legs and glutes from Bodyblast series.
Joan

It's Tuesday!

Good Morning all!

Today I did K-C-M Biceps, triceps & Shoulders. Weighed in and am not pleased with myself. I am on day 2 without sugar/candy/pastries etc. I guess I am good with that at least.

Garance, I can't believe you can snow shoe for 90 minutes in 20 degree temperture! That's amazing! I wish I would have started watching 24 from the beginning, I have never seen an episode but everyone seems to like it and be hooked on it. Maybe after finishing HOuse, I will look into that series on dvd. I like being able to watch 2 at a time, and at my leisure.

Josie, sorry you are not feeling well. Don't you love them at that age? I have 2 great nephews that are both 1 years old and they are so cute! I think you should just start your workout without your partner and don;t rewind. She can jump in wherever you are...Maybe she will get the hint. I wish I would forget to eat!:rolleyes:

Joan, I can certainly agree that any type of work is easier than watching a 2 year old! Good workout choice and great job on the weight loss!

Linny, bummer on the job issue. Maybe you need to get those 2 people together and speak with them? What type of heart rate monitor does your eliptical have? Do you wear something around your chest? If I stayed in my "target heart rate" zone I would not feel like I was doing anything either. I think they are very conservative when doing those calculations, and don;t take into account those that have some sort of fitness level already.

Have a great day!

Hi Ladies,

It is 66 degrees in La already at 8:11 AM. It is supposed to get up to the 80's. I was so hot yesterday when I went out to lunch, it is crazy.

I did PUB today and will be going to the gym for my cardio this evening. I did not get my cardio in yesterday. My weight this morning was 168.

My diet is so so, but will try harder.

Have a great day!

Josie

This morning I did Kelly C-M's 30 min. for Back, legs and chest together with 2 miles with Leslie (60 min.).

I agree with everyone on 2-yr. olds. I remember when my boys were that age. You had to watch them like a hawk. Always into something and so obstinate--NO was the favorite word for my terrible twos.

Deb, I had to catch up with 24 too because I was a latecomer to the series. I rented series one from Netflix and was blown away because it was so exciting. Then I rented two more seasons and by then I was watching the new seasons. Some seasons are better than others, but when they are good, they are absolutely riveting.

Joan, there is a female character on Scrubs named Elliot. Maybe that's where the name comes from (?). Do you ever call her Ellie. I like that name.

Josie, I would be irritated if I had a partner like that. I agree with everyone that you should just keep on exercising or let her know that the idea of having a partner is to be supportive and reliable, and she is not.

Too bad about the new job, Linny. Sounds like you are getting a lot of mixed signals coming from too many directions. I would find that distracting and frustrating.

I am almost done with one short piece of writing for a collection of essays. Then back to my chapter writing. Very pleased with myself.

Hi Ladies:
Deb: My weight doesn't seem to be going anywhere either.I've been working out everyday now and not much action showing on the scale.:confused:The heart monitor is on the handles ,I just hold on for a few seconds and it gives me heartrate. I'll be talking with Director tomorrow about these benefits I was suppose to get.But according to the Assistant she said they just found out that the new company that is managing them decided we should stay with old benefits pkg for now.Assistant thinks it has something to do with the economy.I'll just have to see what the offer is for Unit Manager.
Garance:Sounds like you're been busy with your writing.I agree with 2yr olds,they are a handful.My DGD may come over this weekend for a sleepover.She is 9 yrs old but I still feel tired after she leaves.
JoanC:I weighed in today at 166.5,down about half a pound.I quess better than nothing.Good job losing 7 pounds.
Josie:please send the 60's here.We are suppose to be in the single digits thursday and friday:(.Any better luck with your partner today?
Well no work for me tomorrow.I have a big chip in my cap so I have to go to dentist.Hopefully she can fix it or I'll be paying some big bucks.
Have a good night~Linny~

Good evening garance, Deb, Josie and Linny

Linny - 1/2 pound is great. That's what I have been losing each week (other than 1st week water loss) I think if we lose it slower we're more likely to keep it off. Good luck at dentist.

garance - You should be very pleased with yourself. If it were me (assuming I could ever write anything) I would put things off until May or later. It's a good thing I promise a week turn around time on a tax return. I need short deadlines.

Josie - Tomorrow is below zero here. Can we trade?

Deb - Do you count calories or just cutting out sugar?

Can anyone tell I'm just checking in because I don't want to do another set of payroll taxes? Haven't exercised yet. I felt so much better when I did midnight exercises for the next day. Being done early felt so much better than waiting to the last minute. That only counts with exercise not work.

Joan

It's Hump Day!

Good Morning!

It is 5 degress here right now.BRRRR...Another couch night last night...this is getting old. So of course no workout today. I have to go to an offsite meeting with the Fish & Wildlife department...:confused:...yuk.

Josie, please send some of that heat this way!

Garance, good for you for getting that writing done. Did you see the new update on the 1RM stuff in the STS forum? It is starting to look a lot easier to do. Do you think we will have it by Feb 1? Ha that's a laugh!

Linny, I hope everything works out ok with the job and at the dentist!

Joan, You sound like you are on the right track with the weight loss. 1/2 pound a week is not bad when you are lifting weights. Muscle holds more water, so it seems like you are not losing but you are losing fat and inches. Right now I am just trying to cut out sugar. That is where all my extra calories come from! I am not a big snack eater or fried foods etc. One thing I need to do is make an effort to eat more vegetables and drink more water.

Stay warm those on the East coast that is!

Good Morning Ladies,

It is supposed to be in the mid 80's today. It feels like summer and people are going to the beach instead of work. My partner never showed up yesterday and her excuse was that her neck was hurting. I did get my 45 minutes on the elliptical last night and today I will be taking a spinning class.

Josie

This morning I did Kelly C-M's kickbox DVD (53 min.).

It's 9 degrees here at 1 in the afternoon--and they say it's going to get colder tomorrow. This has been one tough January and it's only half over.

Congratulations Joan on the 7 lb. weight loss! My weight won't budge, darn it, even though I have cut back on my wine to one glass, and no sweets. Maybe it will take longer for me.

Josie, it sounds like your workout partner is a pain in the neck. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) I wish those 60s temps were headed this way.

I think I did see that new posting at STS and printed out all of the exercises. I just don't believe those DVDs are ever going to be sent. The real "shock" to the "shock training system" will be when we get an announcement that they are on their way. Grouse, grouse!

Ballroom dancing tonight!

Hi Ladies:
Went to dentist today,luckily I still had my dental insurance from last job.They have to replace cap which would have been 1400 dollars but with insurance it will be around 600.Tomorrow I have to be at work at 6:45 am,need to watch a med pass and probably do one in the afternoon.Hopefully I'll be able to talk with Director about benefits.
Deb:Its 12 degrees right now,but I heard this weekend will be in the single digits:eek:.So glad to have the carstarter.I'm still waiting for Josie to send some of her weather our way.
Garance:Have fun with the ballroom dancing.I thought the STS was already sent out.How long has it been since preorder?Must be at least a year now.
Josie:Stop rubbing it in about your glorious weather.:mad: Just kidding;)I quess I should have moved out there when my parents asked.Have you lived in California all your life?
JoanC:Your right half pound is good for first week.I just wish it was 10pounds a week instead of a half here a quarter there.:(
Have a great night ladies.~Linny~

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I finally got one hour on treadmill.

Today's wo was GS Ch & Tri. Why does everyone else get DOM's when I'm sore right now?

Linny- That's why I have a love hate relationship with biggest loser. I like to watch it but when they get disappointed with a 6 lb. weight loss, and I would love a 2 lb loss.

garance - I'm jealous of ballroom dancing. That's one thing dh won't do. (any kind of dancing.)

Deb - get new sofa. I get better night's sleep on my sofa than in my bed. As long as I fall asleep before dh I don't hear his snoring. When I go to bed late during tax season, I give him about 30 sec to see if he is snoring. then head for sofa.

Josie - I'm glad you have class so all exercise is not with partner.

Joan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.