Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 6/21

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

I plan on doing STS #28, Chest & Back this morning. We are going to my brother's for dinner. I really did not want to see anyone today, but maybe it is a good thing to be with family..

Give all the fathers that you know a big ((HUG)) today!

Deb

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did disk 31 for chest and back (63 min.). I have decided to repeat the final disks despite the boredom factor because I will finish meso 3 immediately before our vacation.

It is still very gloomy weather here, although the temp is a bit higher. Very, very muggy--almost as if the rain materializes out of the atmosphere.

We will be having a great Father's Day feast with sons, fil, mil, and sil. Steaks (from our grass-fed beef), big salad from the garden, roasted potatoes, fennel, haricots verts with parmesan, Barefoot Contessa's vanilla pound cake topped with vanilla ice cream and raspberries soaked in framboise. Bought some triple creme cheese and grapes for cocktails before dinner.

I will give the fathers a big hug for you, Deb! I know you must miss your Dad.

Hi Ladies,

I will go back and read last week but thought I would check in.

Last week was one of my inactive weeks where I couldn't make myself do much of anything. Fortunately I felt much better today and did disc 16, disc 18 and cardio fusion. I only need to make up disc 17 legs and 2 ab wo.

We had a nice dinner out with ds, dil and Elliot for Father's Day. Youngest son called from Portland, OR while we were out so we called this evening. He couldn't talk long because he was cooking dinner for his girlfriend. She had broken her ankle from a fall from her bicycle.

Joan

Monday

Good Morning,

Well the alarm went off and I promptly turned it off and went back to sleep. Very tired today, even though I took many mini-naps all weekend. Will get back into the swing of things tomorrow.

Garance, your dinner sounded wonderful! I bet it tasted wonderful too! Where will you be going on vacation?

Cathy, I read that thread. It is a clever way to turn STS into full body workouts. Lots of planning ahead would be needed.

Joan, I have to give you a lot of High Fives for being able to do 2 STS workouts in one day! :eek:..

Still gloomy weather here...this has been one crappy spring, now summer starting this way too....

Have a good day!

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, and Cathy--

This morning I did an oldie-but-goody Step Jam (60 min.) and about 15 min. of those abs exercises from the NYTimes, which I really like. I especially like the one with the elbows on the stability ball. I could really feel them.

Our dinner was great, but delayed by yet another deluge. Impossible to grill the steaks when we should have been building an ark. I agree with you, Deb--crappy spring, crappy summer so far, and you don't want to hear my husband on this subject.

Cathy, I am too unwilling to do all that planning ahead.

Hope you will have a better week Joan--sans poison ivy, sans headaches, sans ennui.

Hi to Josie and Linny if you are still lurking somewhere!

Hi Ladies,

I did not get to wo at all this weekend. My Gs's are early kids and were up at the butt crack of dawn. As my Dd says, and she was so tired from working all week that I just decided to stay home. I took them to the playgroud and then to a farmers market that just opened in the same complex. It was fun and the kids had a great time trying all the fresh fruit and fresh muffins. I walked there and back, so I did get a bit of a wo pushing the stroller and running after them once we got to the playground.

I need to get my nails done today, so no wo unless I run on the treadmill once my toes dry.

Josie

LOL! same here josie, why do they get up so early?? i didn't workout this weekend either. rode horses sat. am and just aobut fried. it is so miserable here. suppose to be 102-104 all week. we did not last very long outside on sat. then, on sunday i spent 3 hrs. at the equine vet clinic that i work at. so , that has to account for something. i clean stalls, feed , just junk that needs to be done with the horses. so, i wonder how many calories you burn cleaning stalls while you are sweating buckets.:)

ya know, ya'll , it was not as hard as ithought to do the TB w/STS. actually i just started w/disc 6, did the warmup plus 20,, then did 20 min. of disc 4&5. it was not hard. i just don't know if i like doing that way. i like doing things in order. :) but, i want the biggest bang i can get for my workout. so, thought i would try it.

it is 7:30 pm here, and still 98'. ugh! gotta go out and feed my horses, dogs, and put the chickens up.
cathy

Tuesday

Good Morning,

I just finished the walk/jog combo from the Couch to 5K workout plan. I hope I can keep this up. I forgot how hard jogging is on the old bod.

Garance, did you go over to the NY Times site and see the video of those exercises? If I hadn't I would not have known exactly what they were talking about, especially the one with the elbows on the ball. Maybe we should do those during the rest periods on the STS leg workout?

Josie, I love that phrase, "the butt crack of dawn"...I will have to use that one!:D..

Cathy, I would think that you burned a lot of calories cleaning out stalls in 100 degree weather! ..You should wear a heart rate monitor and see...not to sound dumb, but what does it mean to "put the chickens up"? maybe Garance knows, cause you have chickens now too., but this city girl has never had to do that before bed!

Joan, are you checking in?

Linny, please post if you are out there..we are worried about you!

Have a great day!

Good morning,

Monday weigh in 164 lbs down 1lb. I'm varying my calories but not really on purpose. I had a couple of 92-97 degree days that were just too hot and humid to eat. Those days I only ate about 500 calories. I made up for that on Father's day. Otherwise I try to have a few 1200-1100 calorie days with 1500-1800 days.

Josie I weigh every day but only count the one on Monday.

I did StepHeat yesterday. Today will be disc 17 and maybe disc 19.

Deb yesterday I just forgot to check in. If I go too long without checking in I am in my "vegetative state" and you will need to yell at me to get me going again. It is probably some sort of depression but it is only in the summer and I'm not unhappy just unable to get anything done. I think having four months of stress and hyperactivity causes it. I'm always good to go in Sept. I really think the weather also plays a part.

Hi Ladies,

I did not wo yesterday, instead I had my manicure/pedicure and my brows done. It was so nice to have my feet massaged. Today is my circuit training day and 45 min. walk.

Joan, I also weigh myself every day just to keep thing in check. Thursday in my weigh in day with the trainer.

We had a couple of sunny days here in LA, but today is back to June gloom. It is in the mid 60's. We usually have a very hot September and October.

Cathy, I agree with Deb on the calories burned doing what you did. I know that I burn a great deal of calories just cleaning the house.

Hi Garance and Linny.

Josie

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, and Cathy--

This morning I did disk 39 (59 min.) for legs. I did do some abs during the 2.5 min rest periods. I am deadlifting 75 lbs and squats and lunges, 60--50 over the head and I wear my 10 lb weight vest. That's really pushing it for me on getting it over my head.

Yes, Deb, I did find that video and it is useful for doing the abs.

It looks like we are going to get some summery weather at last--into the 80s by the weekend and finally, some sun.

Sorry you feel lethargic, Joan, but given your schedule during tax season, quite understandable. Good for you one the weight loss. Every lb. counts!!

I have never had a pedicure, Josie, but the foot massage sounds great. I just do it myself on the polish. I love those 60 second drying ones. What a great invention.

Garance,

I started getting pedicures when I started to run marathons. I used to get ingrown toe nails if I did not get one every 2 weeks. I'm hooked now.

They love me at the shop, because I usually get the works. Bikini wax, eyebrow,mustach, mani and pedicure. Plus I tip them well.

Josie

LOL! that is funny, well, the chickens have to go in their coop at nite and get closed up or the coons and possums will eat them. and i have baby chicks and they have to be locked up like ft.knox, cuz coons LOVE baby chicks and snakes can eat them too. so, ehy have to be locked up at nite. the adult hens go in at nite and i just lock them up, but the babies have to be run in their cage. anyway, that is what it means.
and i do have a heart rate moniter, but the battery has been dead for several yrs. and just have not ordered another one. i keep meaning to, but just don't.

today i did the firm's advanced cardio blast. that is a tough workout. i was sweatin' buckets. then i did med ball abs.
ttyl, cathy

Wednesday

Good Morning!

I just finished STS Legs, week 2. I cheated and fast forwarded between sets..:rolleyes:..I rested about a minute and a half.. It was so much better. I know that Cathe would not agree, but it made it a lot more pleasant for me. We have had very nice weather the last couple of days, sunny and 80's. Finally! Summer has arrived.

Joan, good job on the weight loss. I keep losing and gaining the same pound each week :eek:. I think you are right, about how you feel now. You go like crazy for 4 months, non-stop and now you are winding down from that.

Josie, isn't is so nice to be pampered? ( minus the bikini wax however!)

Garance, I give you a lot of credit for lifting 50 lbs over your head. I think my limit is 35. I use the squat rack on my bench and do 50 for squats. You MUST get a pedicure..the full one with the foot massage, etc. You would love it.

Cathy, thanks for the "lesson" on chickens! It makes perfect sense now that you described it.

Have a good day!

Good morning Deb, Garance, Josie, Linny and Cathy,

This week will all be over 90 degrees. I think I will spend all my time watering the garden. I also have a lot of potted plants. They have needed to be watered twice a day.

I got disc 17 in late last night. Now the decision is to do cardio or disc 19.
Joan

Hi Ladies,

I was very tired last night at my wo. I think it was because I had to fast in order to get my blook work done yesterday morning. I had my physical on Friday and they also took 4 tubes of blood. I will be spinning this evenig.

It is June gloom again today. My DH asked me last night if I had lost weight. He finally noticed. I'm still 169 but my body is getting toned.

I have to schedule a mamogram and my colonoscopy. I pland to do the colonoscoy when I'm on vacation in August.

Garance, Where are you going for vacation?

Deb, I need to take care of my scandal when it comes to a bikini wax. That is what my DD says.

Hi To Joan and Cathy & Linny.

Josie

Hi Deb, Josie, Cathy, and Joan--

This morning I did Amy Bento's Kickbox Surge for the first time. It's 71 min. total, but I couldn't do her core stuff with the med ball and substituted the NYTimes stuff. I really was sweaty by the end of this, even though I have a lot to learn on it.

We will be going to the Jersey Shore for 10 days again. DH loves to bodysurf and because I am so myopic, he has to take me in for some wave-bobbing. I am originally from Minnesota and was a real waterbaby in LAKES, but the ocean is not my element. I don't really know how to handle the waves without DH, and when I used to go in by myself, I would get lost coming out--all the umbrellas looked the same to me--blurry colorful blobs. I love to sit on the beach reading, I love to take walks and look for shells, and we really have fun with our inlaws. If the weather gets bad, we go into Philly. Nothing better than an authentic Philly cheesesteak!

I will have to try a pedicure, since Deb and Josie swear by them.

It's definitely warmer here, but the sun is only intermittent. Tomorrow it's supposed to get into the 80s--at last!!

hi all,
josie, the colon test is no big deal, the hard part is not eating for the whole day before and sittin' on the potty.:) but, when i had the test i was out and when i woke up they wrapped me in warm blankets and gave me hot tea. didn't feel a thing.

i did another total body using discs 4,5,6 and will finish up on friday. just not sure if i like ti like this. will probably go back to doing one at a time next week.

well, it is 100 right now. i am SO GRATEFUL for AC.
cathy

Thursday

Good morning,

had a bad evening, and night. John took Kelsey to the derm vet for a "re-check" so we could continue to get her skin meds. She absolutely is terrifed of vets offices, actually goes frantic if you have to wait at all in the waiting room. Our usual process is to leave her in the car until they are ready to take her in, then we go get her. Well it was in the 80's here yesterday, very very hot. John could not leave her in the car. He got there a couple of minutes before the apt time, had to go in with her. She flipped out in the waiting room, so badly that apparently she did something to her hip/leg. She is so bad right now. She can't stand at all, will not go outside to pee, won't eat anything. I gave her a pain med last night, and am going to try to get her into the regular vet as soon as I can this morning. It almost looks like she might have dis-located a hip. She was doing so well too.

Joan, 90 degrees is way too hot! what happened to disc 18?

Josie, good for you for getting all checked out! Yep, those colonoscopy's ( sp?) are not fun, the prep is worse than the test itself..

Garance, 10 days at the Jersey shore sounds wonderful! where will you be staying? When DH goes away like that, who takes care of all the animals?. Oh, meant to mention, I ordered The Help for my MIL and had it sent to her...she is loving it!

Cathy, 100???? :eek:..good thing you have AC.

BBl to check in...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.