Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/9

fox2star

Cathlete
Happy Mother's Day to all!

No workout today, I can barely walk. Hopefully this will be gone by tomorrow.

The weather is horrid here, raining, windy and very cold. We had 60 mile and hour winds yesterday, everything was blowing all over. My cousins gazebo blow over, completely collapsed in her yard and her fence was starting to come down. It was crazy. At one point it was hailing.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did P-57 (57 min.). I decided to do legs first this week because Bum Bum last week seemed more like cardio to me.

Deb, I read what happened on the old thread. You poor thing! It's so weird the way things just suddenly go south. My knee last week and I don't recall doing a darn thing to make it hurt, and then, just as suddenly, the pain goes away. Josie hurts her back in the supermarket of all places. We are having some cold weather here as well, plus a lot of wind. Not as bad though as central NY which apparently had some snow. To make up for the beautiful April we will now probably have a lousy May.

We went to a restaurant called Mezze's last night. I had a salad and a white lasagna that was really yummy, but I could only eat half and gave the rest to DH. Also had a sorbet for dessert and my usual Manhattan. I wore my dazzling new shoes and they were very comfy. I feel like I should write a review of Indigo Campania because I'm pretty sure others would find them comfortable, too. DS and DH had a pork loin dish.

Cathy, DH says we have 150 Cornish and 50 Red Broiler chicks. He raised 29 Cornish earlier and they mature quickly--ready for slaughter at about 3 months. He does not do this. He wants them inspected, and there is a facility for doing all of that. No plucking. Machines do that now, too.

Last week of classes this week. Then the grading begins again. And meetings, meetings, meetings. So glad when it's all over for another year. Next year looks rather hell-ish already. Two tenure decisions coming up. The last time for me.

Hope everyone is having a great Mother's Day!

oh, so, these are meat chickens. mine are layers.

i ate waaayyyy to much today. i have got to get back to WW this week. feel like a pig.:)

deb, could you send us some of your rain? it has quit raining here, and i'm afraid we may not get any for the summer. we are ok right now, but things are beginning to dry up.

Monday

Good morning,

No workout today, I am letting my back get back to normal before putting any strain on it. I am sure it was a muscle spasm, nothing more serious than that.

Garance, I am going to check those shoes out! Which color did you get? What is a tenure decision? I mean, I know what the words mean, but what is the process?

Cathy, rain vibes coming your way!

I hope everyone had a nice Mother's Day weekend. It's back to the grind!

Take care,

Last edited:
Hope you all had a great Mother's Day Yesterday.

Fox2star (Deb) - Where do you live? I am in TX - we were overcast but no storms, etc.

Garrance - Nice dinner out - haven't had a Manhatten in a long time :)

Drover (Cathy) - I ate too much and feel piggish also ( I am a Kathy too)

DH spoiled me yesterday and I had a nice meal - healthy but ate too much - he grilled steak (free range), nice romaine, tomato and cucubmer salad, and new potatoes roasted - all on the grill - it was very nice.

Today I begin my journey back to "Me" - I did STS disc 1 and my upperbody is fried. There are several variations of pushups that I have a hard time with because of my wrists on those I used the stability ball and dumbells in the hands and it wasn't too bad. (I had worked up to 100 push ups on toes at one time now I can barely do 10 :) - but I know it iwll come)

My meals for the week are planned - today is
B - 2 eggs scrambled with 3 cherry tomatoes and 1 oz mazarella cheese
S - 1/4 c brown rice and 2 oz turkey breast
L - Salad with 6 oz water packed tuna, 3 cups spinach, 1/4 c celery, half medium tomato
S - Cheese stick and celery stalk
D - 5 oz grilled chicken breast, two cups green beans

Calories 1085
Protein 49%
Fat 35%
Carbs 17%

Not exactly the ratios I wanted for today - may switch the cheese in my snack to turkey -

Have an excellent day and nice to meet you all again!

Hi Ladies,

Deb, thank you for the good vibes, they really helped. I did 77 miles on Saturday and 28 miles yesterday 14 of those miles were hills. My upper body is a bit sore and the back of my knees. My back felt fine, thank God! Our group is so close that when one gets hurt the rest follow, it’s like a domino effect.

I went to an early dinner for Mother's day. I went to a place called Chicago Ribs. My body needed protein.

Kathy thanks for posting your meal plan. I will try to follow it, except I have to add more calories, there is not dieting for me right now. I will be doing the Aids Life Cycle from San Francisco to Los Angeles from June 6th through the 12th.

Deb, take care of that back! I was out of commission for 3 weeks.

Garance, your dinner sounds yummy!

Cathy, sending you some rain vibes!

Hi Valerie!

Josie

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, Valerie, and Kathy--

This morning I did Petra Kolber's Just Dance (50 min.).

Deb, I bought the steel blue Campanias. I hope your back is much better today. Have you had back spasms before? Tenure: Assistant Professors come up for tenure after 6 years, unless there is a pregnancy or leave of absence for any reason. They put together a file of their scholarship for us to read, along with outside reviewers with expertise in their field. The senior faculty all read these files over the summer, but one person is assigned the task of providing a critical review in writing of the materials for each assistant professor. In the fall, we have a series of meetings where we discuss their teaching, scholarship, and community service. We have student evaluations, student interviews, class visits by senior faculty covering all 6 years, letters from outside reviewers to discuss. And then we deliberate and try very hard to reach consensus--preferable to a split vote. We submit the dept. decision to a committee on appointments and promotions with representative faculty members from each division (Humanities, Social Sciences, and Natural Sciences), the Dean of Faculty, Provost, and President and they make the final decision and usually but not always agree with the dept. If the assistant professor does not like the negative decision, s/he may appeal the decision to another committee on a variety of grounds. Once you have tenure, you basically have the job for life. Tenure was established to insure academic freedom. (Hope I didn't bore you to death with all of that!)

So now we have two Texans, Cathy and Kathy.

Sounds like everyone is on a diet but me and Valerie! Hmmm! Maybe when the semester is over I can impose some kind of discipline. Maybe I will start subscribing to Cooking Light so I can continue with my cooking, which I love, and still create calorie restricted meals.

Josie, your mileage is awesome!

another Kathy????? where???? i haven't met her or annabelle. where have i been? oh yeah, company and grandkids. hi, ya'll. kathy , where are you? i'm in new braunfels. hi annabelle, where do you live?

soooo, i did hi step circuit and added tara's lower body & shoulder circuit (the firm) and i did some of the hi step stuff twice and did the last cardio (kickbox) 3 times. the cardio segments are only 1 m. , so it wasn't that big of a deal. but, it is an easy workout, do i added a little extra intesity to the cardio. but, i really like the workout cuz, i can do it and not be crippled the next day. and, it is alot like firms and i just really like the format of firm workouts.

oh, duh, i just realized annabelle and kathy are the same. :) sorry. so, anyway. think i'm gonna go wash my ponies. ya'll have a great day and thanks for the rain vibes.

No Deb it was Cathy who wanted rain not me. It started pouring down rain at 2:00 and hasn't stopped yet and the wind has been terrible.

I babysat today at their house so dil could go to doctor and grocery store. Luke did not wake up the whole time so Elliot and I got quality play time in. Friday I had more to do for Luke and couldn't read her stories before nap time.

Cause for celebration ( at least for me) I finally did a wo. It was only a slow hour on the treadmill but at least it's a start.

Today was the first time I have been hungry. This resulted in eating 1398 calories. I will try to see what was different to cause me to eat peanut butter on toast.

Joan

Tuesday

Hi,

Got a late start today, I actually slept until the alarm, which is unheard of for me. No workout, giving my back a good rest and not doing anything stupid to make it worse.

Kathy, (aks Annabelle), I live in Buffalo NY. Good job on starting STS! You may want to up your calorie intake, STS is pretty demanding.

Josie, you are doing so well with your practice rides, I can't wait until the real one.

Garance, is the color sort of like denim? It's hard to tell on a computer screen. Thanks for the tenure info, whew it sounds like a real project! No wonder people are thrilled when they finally get it.

Cathy, you have another Texan on board!

Joan, did I send you rain by mistake somehow? Not sure, I though I sent it to Cathy. I like your late posts, they keep the thread on page 1 LOL! Maybe the workout made you more hungary!

Hi to Valerie!

Time to leave for work...take care.

This morning I did STS disk 10 for chest, bis, and sh (56 min.). I feel VERY worked out with this one.

Deb, I would characterize the steel blue as close to a dark denim. I was hoping they would be just a little more blue, but they are very neutral, so I expect to get a lot of wear out of them if it ever warms up again. Good idea to take care of your back. Also, always a good idea to sleep well and soundly when possibly. For some reason, I've been having icky dreams, so I don't wake up my usual cheerful self. Still watching DWTS? I thought the Pussycat Doll (can't remember her name) was absolutely wonderful last night. Also the sports caster with Max.

Josie, how many weeks until the ride?? Any way we can track it?

Kathy, that diet looks very, very clean. Hope it works for you.

Joan, how is the fraxel treatment developing? Is it still pretty red?

Hi to Cathy! (Hi to Valerie, although I think she's off on another mini-vac).

Hi ladies,

Just got back from taking my dm to doctor for tests. Her leg has been hurting her for quite some time but they always wanted to take care of something else first. We have a spit foyer house and on the way down the 8 steps my mother started to fall. I caught her from behind and grabbed her under her arms and stood her up. I'm starting to feel my back start to hurt. I'm a little out of shape to lift 250lbs. Although when I was in shape I couldn't lift 250lbs.

I had thought to do one of the brazil butt lift but will need to change. It is a little hard on the back.

Deb I didn't do the treadmill until after I had eaten everything for the day so I can't even use that as an excuse.

Garance My face is still a little pink but doesn't hurt. It takes 3 months to see the results but I thought there would be soemthing more visible to see that it was working.

Joan

Hi Ladies,

I feel fine today, no soreness at all. Today is my DS's birthday, he turned 30. I can't believe that my baby is 30. We are taking him and his kids to dinner.

Garance, I will have my DD set up a blog while we are there so that you ladies can track my progress. In the meantime you can go into the web and see the rout and how many miles we are doing each day. Go to aidslifecycle.org.

Deb, all you can do for you back now is rest it. Do not make any sudden movements.

Joan, your workout is babysittingmax. You burn calories doing that to.

Hi to Cathy, Kathy and Valerie.

Josie

Wednesday

Good morning,

I am still babying my back so no workout. I hope I don't lose the enthusiam by having to take this break. We shall see. It's cold and rainy again here, when will spring arrive?

Garance, I am still on the fence about the sandals. They seem really high. I don't think I own anything with a 3 inch heel. If you use Ebates and to to Shoes.com, you get an 11% rebate. Ebates is a really cool site and it is exactly what they say. I was doubtful at first but got a couple rebate checks so I know it is real. I see that Niecy was eliminated, probably the right choice. I have not watched Monday or last night's shows yet.

Joan, we are being hit with some type of injury lately. Take it easy.

Josie, yes, have her set up a blog so we can track your progress!

Hi to Cathy, Kathy, (tell us what is behind "Annabelle"), and Valerie,

Take care...

This morning I did Jazzercise Dancin' Abs (60 min.).

Deb, I think it's more important for you to take care of your back than to worry about losing your groove. You can always get it back. I was skeptical of the height on these sandals, too, but they have a platform built into the front (I think it's 3/4 inch) that makes them feel more like two inches than three, and the reviews of Campania at Zappos were almost universal about their comfort. Shipping and returns are free, so you might try them around the house and if you feel too teeter-tottery, send them back. The truly awful thing is that when they arrived, they had a 20 % coupon for a new purchase. I will not buy more shoes, I will not buy more shoes, I will not buy more shoes........I really enjoyed the DWTS on Monday night, and agree with the elimination of Niecy.

Josie, that will be great to keep up with the blog. I have a 28 year old son, and I know what you mean. Where do the years go?

Joan, I'm sure you will have more results after the whole treatment is done. BBL High and Tight is not hard on the back, so maybe you could try that one. Be careful, though. It sounds like you saved your mom from what could have been a terrible fall.

Hi to Cathy, Kathy, and Valerie!

hey, where is that other texan???? still don't know where you are in texas.

today was hard core fusion and focused wt. work from the firm website. so, total of 80m. workout. but, don't freak out ya'll. :) i am doing a very short workout tommorrow. going to be at high schools the next 2 days doing worth the wait. so, short tomorrow and off on friday.

and, have another function tonite, so gotta get ready for that.
ttyl

Hi Ladies,

I brought my grandson Mickey (5.5 year old) to work with me today and it was so much fun. I had him sort some of my filling and I paid him for the day. I took him to lunch and now he is hanging out with his aunt at the Santa Monica Pier.

I will be spinning tonight and doing my weight training tomorrow plus more spinning.

Have a great evening everyone. Have to get back to work.

Josie

Good evening,

House max was on the schedule for today and probably tomorrow. That's what happens when you haven't cleaned in a long, long time. Only leftover problem with the back is bending over. I didn't realize it until I started picking things up to move them so I could vacuum. Ouch.

I know now I wasn't hungry on 1000 calories last week only because I had the laser work done. This week averaging 1457 I am hungry. When my body is healing I don't eat as much. That is the only reason I can think of for the difference between the two weeks. I am disappointed. I thought I had found the perfect diet. It's still not bad, I just had high hopes to lose quickly. What do they say about it being too good to be true?

Joan

Thursday

Good morning all,

Another rest day for my back. I could probably tolerate walking on the treadmill, and may try it tomorrow. The pain is 98% gone, only feel it when I have been sitting for a long time and when I first stand up. As soon as I move it's gone.

Garance, you are really tempting me with those shoes, especially with the 11% rebate I would get through Ebates. I am still behind with DWTS but think Niecy should be the one gone too.

Cathy, it sounds like you are feeling much better...what is worth the wait?

Josie, how cute that your GS was able to "work" for you. Nice that your workplace is that flexible. We could not do that in ours, it's against company policy to have children in the workplace.

Joan, I think you are better off eating more than the first week's 1000 calorie day. Eventually your body would have gone into "starvation" mode and you would stop losing and actually retained or gained.

Kathy, what's up with you?

Valerie, are you vacationing or on a long hike?

Take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.