Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/31

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Afternoon,

Today I did STS # 19, whew it was 74 minutes. Then I finished weeding the 5 x 20 foot section of our garden, so DH could lay down sod....I am sore all over.

Joan, good for you for finishing disc 10. Yep, used small wrist weights today, 3/4 pound each to add some weight to different things.

Garance, yes the weather here is the same as yours. Today it is sunny, but cool.. We had a lot of rain last night. I was glad because it makes the weeds come out easier. DH found a bunny in the yard yesterday, got him out and hopefully blocked a few of the places he thought he might be getting in. That is all I need, Keegan chasing bunnies. I saw that one of my Zinneas was pulled out, right by the top, so I am sure it was the bunny..

Cathy, I am in the middle of Meso 2 of STS...or I would have started out with you. You can still post what you are doing here, and we will comment! Do you want the font bigger? or a different color? On the top of this window there are things that you can change...I just made it bigger by using the drop down to verdana 3 font.

Hi to Linny and Josie!

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie, Joan, and Cathy--

This morning I did disk 25 for the second time (68 min.). Back and Chest.

Deb, we have a ton of bunnies around here and they seem to stay out of DH's garden because of his electric fence. They can be sooo destructive. Given the opportunity, they would destroy a whole crop of lettuce and take one bite out of everything else, ruining it. They chew on our burning bushes in the winter. DH shoots as many as he can, and yes, I know the sentiment is that this is so heartbreaking, but farmers' battles against varmints are perpetual. The groundhogs are even worse. I hope Keegan--the Elmer Fudd of canines--doesn't get as excited as he was last year and wake you early to go see those "damn wabbits."

Cathy, I am on meso 3 and on a 6 month cycle--doing each disk twice. Deb is in meso 2, and Joan is in meso 1, but if you start, this is a good place to report your progress.

Went out to dinner last night and had grilled salmon. Very, very tasty. My usual Manhattan--excellent, Josie.

I hate this weather. It's raining right now and supposedly a cold front is barreling toward us and DH will have to cover everything again. I am supposed to pick up my zinnias and some hanging plants this week, but summer just doesn't want to arrive.

garance, i'll take your rain. we are soooo dry down here in s. texas and already in the 90's.

ohhhhh, i don't know what to do. i just saw the june rotation and i wanna do it , but i wanna do the 3m STS again. decisions, decisions!!!! i don't know if i'm gonna like splitting up the STS workouts like that. i'm kinda anal about doing things in order.:)

so, what's everyone else doing for june?
cathy

Good evening all,

Cathy I am just about to finish mesocyle 1 so I will be starting meso2 on June 8th.

Of course I didn't start wo until late. I did 4 mi on treadmill and then disc 11. I have been updating 1rm as I went along but today some numbers were crazy. It looked like barbell #'s instead of dumbbell for close grip bench press and deadlifts.

My yard is filled with bunnies and clover. As long as I don't kill the weeds they leave my veg. and flowers alone.

Monday

Good Morning!

I just finished a 35 minute I-Tread, packed lunches, made coffee and am ready to start the day.

Garance, I am not sure which I dislike more, bunnies or skunks! I think it's skunks....When I let Keegan out this morning, the whole neighborhood smelled like skunk. I sure am glad the little bugger wasn;t in my yard. We are only supposed to get up to 60 today...what is wrong with this weather? It's June for crying out loud!

Cathy, which rotation are you looking at? the regular June one? I have to go over there and check it out. I will continue to do STS, but I am doing the 3.5 month rotation, actually 3 months because I skipped the "rest" week. Are you talking about the "undulating" STS rotation? I had to do a search to find out what that was.

Joan, so your bunnies like weeds better than vegs? wow send those over here, I have plenty of weeds for them.:p

Hi to Linny & Josie...

Have a good day!:)

Happy Monday Ladies,

The weather here in LA has been very gloomy and this morning it was wet, but I did not hear the rain at all last night.

Today I will be spinning and this weekend I went to the trainer. I was very sore after the Thursday and Saturday classes. The workout consists of a short warm up and it is a circuit that changed both times that I was there. I like it and it goes very fast, It is all done in 1 hour. I calculated that it will cost $23.00 per class which is not as bad as I thought. I usually spend that much on lunch and breakfast every day. If I bring my lunch I can afford this and I can get back on my diet. I'm considering joining since I have paid at leas $50.00 for a trainer in the past. I like having someone check up on me on a weekly basis.

Will get back later.

Josie

This morning I did Step Blast (approx. 60 min.).

Deb, skunks are definitely foul, but the absolute worst is a porcupine, where dogs are concerned. Our dog had 2 run-ins with a porcupine, and we had to take him to the vet to have those quills removed. Talk about painful--in his mouth and nose!

Well, it did not freeze last night, but the temp went down to 33. DH thinks we would have had a frost if there had been more moisture in the air, but yesterday evening the winds blew every bit of moisture away with the cold front. I agree, Deb, where is summer?? While I don't think I could stand the heat in Texas, Cathy, I would sure like some summery temps to go along with all of the rain and green.

Josie, that sounds like a great idea for the trainer. I'm a brown bag person myself. I like to use my lunch hour to read fiction before an afternoon of writing and research.

Last night I made these really sinful grilled sandwiches: smoky bacon and cheddar on sourdough with a chipotle pepper relish. The relish was sooo good. I bought this cookbook just for grilled sandwiches a few years ago because I started salivating (drooling??) while listening to the woman who wrote it on NPR. Then I got myself one of those panini grills and for awhile I was making them constantly. But I never made this one before. I think I will have to make some of the relish just to have around. DH was in ecstasy.

Joan, I really don't know how you manage to do both cardio and weights, but more power to you! Maybe it's the jolt you need for weight loss. (Don't read the above paragraph!)

Hi to Linny--is your kitchen done yet??

Garance,

I made the penne pasta with sausage again last night and my DH was also in ecstacy. I also have a pannini grill and I use it quite often. What goes into the relish?

Josie

where are you garance? i was just looking at my grass today and it is already turning brown. it is only june 1. this is gonna be a long hot summer if we dont' get some rain. well, it is gonna be a long hot summer anyway, but it is way worse when we don't get rain.

i looked at cathe's june rotation, but i think i'm gonna stick w/my plan to start STS again on june 15th.

i have been doing 4-day split for the last couple weeks. i am gonna take the week off before i start STS. i have not had a week off in ages.
so, that is my plan
cathy

awww, skunks are really kinda cute, they're just stinky. we had 3 baby skunks in our barn one spring and they were soooo cute. they just rooted around and didn't even know i was there.
cathy

Tuesday

Good Morning,

No workout today..I had a crappy nights sleep, hot flashes woke me up almost every hour. Not sure what is up with that. Usually I blame them on bad eating, sugar etc, but I ate really ok yesterday.

Garance, yes I would say porcupine would be bad! Thank goodness we don't have them here in the city! Was this a dog from a while ago? I am also a brown bag lunch person. Lunch out is not only expensive, but very dangerous for anyone watching calories. Too tempting to get something that is not good for the diet. I come home for lunch 3 days a week to let the dogs out, so I eat in my car on the way home. Those sandwiches do sound sinful. Yes, what is in that relish? I love the flavor of chipotle peppers. Our favorite Mexican restaurant uses them a lot in different dishes.

Cathy, I like your plan on a week off before STS. It is pretty intense. As cute as the baby skunks are, I don't think I would get too close!

Josie, how long will you stay with the trainer? Is it weights and cardio mixed that you are doing with him ( her?).

Linny, I hope you are doing well and enjoying your kitchen!

Have a good day..

Hi Ladies,

I ran on my treadmill last night puls abs. It felt good to run again. Today will be my weight training day with the trainer.

Deb, He makes us do cardio at the end. The rest of the work out is weights and abs all mixed together.

Garance, My dog got a hold of a skunk and it took forever to get the smell out of him.
He got sprayed all over.

Cathy, I don't miss those hot summers in Texas. I used to live in Ciudad Juarez just across from El Paso when I was a kid.

Hi to Joan and Linny.

Josie

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie, and Joan--

This morning I did disk 37 for legs (63 min.). My weighted vest and gloves should arrive today, so next week I will have more weight on legs.

Deb, yes, this was our old shepherd husky mix who died a few years ago. He was really a great farm dog, followed DH everywhere, and was really good about keeping the groundhogs away. We have/had so many bunnies that he just seemed to lose interest in chasing them. It was really kind of funny. He'd sit with his tongue lolling out and a sleepy gaze, and a bunny would go flying by and he wouldn't even blink. I wish he had been smart enough to stay away from that porcupine the second time, though.

Cathy, I am in western Massachusetts in the Berkshires, very close to Vermont and New York (Albany, Saratoga, Troy). Curious: did you do the plyo disks for legs on STS or the heavy weights and squats, etc.?

Josie, I will try to bring in the ingredient quantities for that relish tomorrow. You start with half an onion, sliced lengthwise very thin, and then it's white wine vinegar, ketchup, 2-4 tbsp of chipotle roasted Tabasco, some water and bring it to a boil and simmer until onions are tender. Remove from heat and put in 6 thinly-sliced cloves of garlic, a big pinch of Oregano rubbed in hands, a pinch of cumin, a tiny pinch of cinnamon and cloves. I think that's right, but I will check.

Hi to Joan and Linny!!

uhhh josie, el paso is waaaay hotter than here. but , no humidity. we do have humidity here.

garance, sounds beautiful there, but toooo cold in the winter. i have always wanted to see vermont.
and, i did both legs last time around. i love them both. i may use plyo legs for cardio this time. but, i want to do squat rack legs for sure. i have never lifted that heavy before. it is so cool!

yesterday i did 4-day split KB , and felt great all day. i got tons of stuff done, then today! yuck! i woke up with a migraine , sick to my stomach, felt horrible. i have days like this too often. don't know what the deal is. but, i did finally get in 4-day BC bi's and tri's, and then did timesaver #3, but did not do the wts. i really like the abs on this one.

so, any of you other over 50's have some really bad days? i don't know if i'm just old or what. my dr. says i am in great health, (for my age, of course). but, i am even compared to people half my age. i just don't understand why some days are great and others i just feel like i've been hit by a truck.

any thought on this?
cathy

Good evening all,

Josie good price on trainer. At the end even buying 48 hours at a time it was $50 per hour. I really liked the forced accountability but not the price. I could not diet if I ate lunch out so maybe a brown bag will turn out to be a good thing.

Cathy I don't have many bad days but I always start out stiff until I move around. I couldn't exercise before 10:00 in morning. That is why I always have an evening wo. I am extra careful to not get injured I know it takes me too long to heal.

Deb I was pretty lucky with no hot flashes. I found when I couldn't sleep I was better off sleeping on couch or guest bed. I was afraid my tossing and turning would wake dh so it took even longer to get back to sleep.

Garance I think I'll have to have someone else read your posts for me and edit out the food. :) I have decided I need to start actually cooking more. Even though we only eat out about once a week as my splurge on calories, the food hasn't been that good. If I want to waste calories the food better be worth it.

Hi to Linny.

"Hump" Day!

Good Morning all!

Today I did STS Legs Disc 20. Gotta love those paper plates!:). It's 54 degrees, here and it is only 5:30..maybe we will actually have a warm day.

Josie, how far do you run on the treadmill? They say that running is the best overall for leaning out your legs. I used to do it when I was in my 20's and 30's, but stopped, and I don;t think I can build up the stamina any more. I jog here and there when doing the I-treads, when she says to do sprints, but that is about it.

Garance, your dog sounds exactly like how Kelsey is now. She couldn't care less if a bunny ran by her. I am thinking she is losing some of her vision. I never heard of chipoltle roasted Tabasco ...so you don;t actually have to use chipotle peppers in this?

Cathy, I do not have a really bad day unless I am sick with the flu or something. My problem is when I can't sleep, the next day I am exhausted, like yesterday when I finally got up I could not get my cardio workout in.

Joan, I agree on the food..sometimes we eat out way too many times a week and at the end of it all, it was more calories, and the food is so, so.. We have now limited our eating out to the weekends only. I wish I liked cooking better. DH likes to cook. but he is very tired when he gets home from work, that is the last thing he wants to do.

Linny, where are you?

Have a good one!

Good Morning,

I forgot to say I finished disc 12 last night. I will take the rest of the week off and start meso 2 on Monday.

I'll be back later with cardio.

Hi Ladies,

My training went well last night, It is amazing how much I sweat during the hour and keep sweating even after I take a shower. The trainer (Kevin) told me that with this work out we continue to burn calories for up to 24 hours. We will see! He told me that I should do my cardio after the work out for that day and I can do cardio everyday if I want to.

Kevin told me that I need to eat 1450 calories per day to get to my goal of 150 pounds.
This is going to be hard, because I hate to count calories. Any suggestions Joan?

Deb, I can uslually run 3 miles on the threadmill more than that is very boring to me, but I need to get used to it since I'm afraid to run on the streets. I was thinking of renting some movies and watching them while I'm running. Maybe that will help. Running has always kept me in shape and when I stoped that is when I started to gain weight.

Cathy, I will talk to a friend of mine that suffers from migrains. I know that hers have gotten better. I will let you know what she does.

Hi Garance and Linny.

Josie

This morning I did Kimberly Spreen's Cardio Combat Surge (70 min.).

Okay, here's the recipe for chipotle relish:

1/2 onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
6 Tbsp. ketchup
1/2 C. mild vinegar such as white wine
3 Tbsp. sugar
6 large garlic cloves sliced
Generous pinch of ground cumin
Generous pinch of dried oregano leaves, crushed between hands
Small pinch of cinnamon
Small pinch of ground cloves or allspice
Black pepper
Several big shakes of Worcestershire sauce
About 4 Tbsp of chipotle Tabasco sauce

To make Chipotle relish: In a small heavy saucepan, combine the onions, ketchup, vinegar, sugar, and 3 Tbsp water. Bring to a boil, then simmer a few minutes, until the onions begin to soften and the liquid thickens.

Remove from the heat and add the garlic, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and as much chipotle Tabasco as you dare. Makes 1/2 to 3/4 cup.

Deb, I was surprised that there were no actual chipotle peppers in this, too. The chipotle Tabasco was sitting right next to the original Tabasco at the grocery store. I had never really noticed it before. It has a smokier tang to it.

Cathy, I am like Joan--very stiff until I get going with my workout in the morning. I never get headaches, but I did have a sister who suffered from them a lot, so I sympathize. I jogged a lot in my 30s and continued to do a lot of impact aerobics until about 5 years ago. My knees are now just too shot to do the impact and I expect to be doing knee replacements in about 8-10 years.

Josie, Kevin sounds really great. I agree with you on counting calories--Blech! I think always in terms of portion size--about half what my DH eats. And I refuse to stint on my cooking. Last night I made turkey cutlets, pounded thin and a few sage leaves underneath a thin slice of prosciutto pressed into them, floured and sauteed, then lined up in a baking dish with roasted eggplant on top, thinly sliced fontina cheese, and a garlicky tomato-wine sauce. Bake 10 minutes at 450 degrees and serve over linguine with a salad. Absolute heaven.

Enough on food! I am making myself hungry.

Hi to Linny!

Hi Garance,

Thank you for the recipes. I will make the cutlets also because my DD love prosciutto.

Kevin is so much fun and so far he is keeping me on my toes. I told him that I get bored easily and need my workouts to be diffrent at least every week. He told me that he is up to the challege.

Josie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.