Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 4/18

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Today I did CLX Burn Circuit 1. Starting the second week of the Burn phase of this rotation. This is definitely not my favorite, looking forward to Phase 2 which is more straight forward weight work, at least that is what I am told. My weight is not moving at all, acutally up a half a pound which is not making me happy.

Joan, good job on the workout!

Valerie, if you or DH have an Ipod or MP3 player, the Cardio Coach workouts for the eliptical or the I-Train ones are great for using on the eliptical or treadmill. Very motivating and reduces the borddom factor.

Cathy, so it was a migraine? I have been wanting to mention, I am getting into these western novels by Robert B Parker, and they mentione Drovers, which I had never heard of before....I assume that is where you screen name comes from?

Have a great day!

Hi Deb and any later posters--

I decided not to do Gym Styles and to go back to STS. I'm glad I did. There is so much variation in exercises it is impossible to get bored. So I am plop back in meso 1, disk 1 for Chest, bis and shoulders (50 min.). I will still sub for the legs.

I went to a beautiful memorial service for my friend this morning and then a reception. Beautiful music and lovely readings and tributes.

I really wanted a glass of wine at the reception, but figured I had better skip it if I wanted to get any grading done.

Deb, I just finished the new Joe Pickett: Nowhere to Run. It was really good.

Tomorrow I will not be exercising because I want to get up and go get my lab work done early.

LOL! deb, that is funny, actually, it is not from that. there are some kids books called, "hank, the cow dog" and , they are hysterical. well, hank is in charge of ranch security and his side kick is goofy hound named drover. so, i had to puppies years ago that i named hank and drover. that is where it came from. :) if you have never read the books, you should, they are toooo funny. my son and i used to read them together, even into his teen years, cuz they were so funny.
anyway, aren't you glad you asked?? :)
ok, and i posted on last weeks thread about the pain in my head. it seems to be from an old riding injury years ago in my neck. the pain was in the right side of my forehead and down the side of my head into my neck where i got bucked off years ago. anyway, it throbbed for 3 days, til my dr. sent me some celebrex and it has calmed down some. but, the vet i work for and my ex-sil, who is a nurse, told me to get an MRI. my sil told me that quite a long time ago. then, i talked to my vet's wife that was having alot of shoulder and arm pain. she went to an orthopedic surgeon and he helped her w/physical therapy. so, guess i'm gonna have to go see someone. kim and my vet both said something about a compression something or other.
today i did 30m of upper body, some heavy, some lite. i hope i don't have to stop lifting weights.

Monday

Good Morning,

Today I did Cardio Coach # 7, 35 minutes 248 calories. My calorie burning in these is getting lower, which I hope means I am getting more fit. I know I am putting out the same effort/speeds when doing the intervals.

The christening was beautiful, it was in one of the large chuches with all the stained glass, a choir etc. Very nice.

Garance, I read that novel, it was pretty good. I like that series. I always think about going back to STS, but Meso 1 is not my favorite so I would probably do 2 & 3 if I did it again.

Cathy, I think you should listen to them and get an MRI, just to be sure nothing is going on and for peace of mind. Then do physical therapy when you know what you are treating. I will look for that book series.

Hi to Josie, Valerie & Joan..

Take care,

Good morning,

I thought I had posted yesterday but guess I didn't. Yesterday was a full day of yard work. Weeding flower beds, and planting. My db is staying with dm while we are gone so he can water new plants. I am stiff today.

bbl Joan

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

No workout for me this morning because of blood work and flushing out a plug of wax in one of my ears. Boy, is that a weird sensation. The nurse puts what seems like a ton of water in your ear and then sucks the thing out. I had been putting in drops the last four days, so it came out really easily.

Deb, I haven't read all of the Pickett books, but I have liked 2 out of the 3 I've read. Before this I read Katrina Kittles' The Kindness of Strangers. Really moving and good.

Valerie, I forgot to respond to your critique of Ina Garten. Yes, she uses way too much butter AND SALT. I always cut back on both. She has several recipes, however, that are quite reasonable. I am making her zucchini vichysoisse tonight, and it's pretty low in fat. I am also a great believer in portion size because I don't believe in a lifelong habit of saying no to foods I like and/or want to try. What bothers me is that my portions get smaller and smaller as I get older--darn!

The only other place I heard "Drover" was in the movie Australia. The Hugh Jackman character was called a "drover" because he herded cattle. I thought you had maybe gotten the name from that. I agree with Deb, Cathy, get an MRI and see if you can find out what the problem is.

Joan, I think yard work is a definite workout--bending, stooping, digging, pulling, carting, and so on. Nice of your bro to stay with your mother so you can have a much-needed vacation. Enjoy!

Hi Ladies,

My ride did no go well. I only made it to the first pit stop (20.5 miles). My back started to bother me because of the clipping and unclipping on the right side of my bike. I'm right handed and can not do the left and there were a lot of stops on the way. I spent the rest of my day in pain. I feel a bit better today and will be seeing my friend tomorrow morning, she is a therapist. I probably will not be able to workout at all again this week.

I told my DH that he is going to have to do the grocery shopping form now on ;)

Josie

Good evening,

Josie I'm sorry to hear your back is still bothering you.

I'm done packing and will be leaving pretty early tomorrow. I will be back late Wednesday the 28th but probably won't check in until the 29th.

I know portion size is definitely one of my biggest problems. I will try to work on that this vacation in the land of the buffet. The other problem on vacation is we tend to eat only two meals. I think I eat more to make up for the missed meal.

Joan

Tuesday

Good morning,

Today I did Burn Circuit 2 from CLX. I am getting used to these workouts, hopefully I will be able to stay with this month's circuit, as boring as it is.

Joan, did you never hear of GardenMax, the workout? Put your HRM on the next time and see how many calories it burns! ;)

Garance, what drops do you use? do they work on their own, or is it something you do before you have the DR suck out the wax? ewww..that sounded awful....

Josie, sorry to hear that your back is still bothering you. I think you made the right decision not to work out this week at all. Give it a break.

Joan, have a great vacation, you deserve it! :).

Hi to Valerie & Cathy,

Take care,

Here it is tuesday already. I did yardwork without a formal workout for 2 days. sunday we tried to do a hike but too much low down sloppy snow. we went for maybe 2 miles... coming back down was harder than going up... conditions were awful so we bailed way short of the goal. unsafe and unpleasant although a lovely day.
monday, to make up for time off, I did disk 34 and went back and repeated disk 26, the first plyo legs one. It was a good plan, I did much better than the first time thru on that disk. it is tough, but I feel much better about it, I can do it if I keep at it. I'm even getting the hang of sit-and-stands which have been just impossible for me all along. so that was a lot yesterday. DH had a friend over for lunch so I made lunch and then gave them "guy time" and the workouts kept me busy. an upper body and a leg workout are really not bad in a single day, though takes a lot of time. I need to look at STS, I think I have a leg disk left and that's it. I think I'll restart in a week.

I was supposed to have a doctor appt yesterday and they gave me the wrong date. I made the appt back in winter 2009 and it was for april 19 at 1:40. I never got a reminder call from the office so I called to confirm and they tell me it's "May" 19 at 1:40. I know they gave me the wrong date, it's a wed and I never make appts on wed, ever. First thing I ask when I make appts so far in the future. not worth arguing about though, so it will be fine but we could have done something more interesting if I hadn't thought I had to be here monday afternoon.

Wow, sounds like I'm lucky to be still standing, is everyone injured in some way except Deb and me? Josie, definitely a little time off to recover from hazardous duty in the grocery.

I like Ina's food and her TV show, I just need to lighten it if I nmake anything of hers. For a holiday dinner, maybe but not for everyday food.

Gotta get to yoga, more later.

Hi Deb, Josie, Cathy and Valerie--

This morning I did Petra Kolber's Just Dance (51 min.). Now that I have the steps down I really throw myself into it. Very, very fun! I read somewhere that doing more complicated cardio is good for the brain as well as the body as we get older--creeping senility.

Poor Josie! I still can't believe you did it in a grocery store. Take care, energizer bunny!

The zucchini vichysoisse was excellent. And easy to make. Valerie, I don't watch the food channel, but maybe I will when I retire.

I just received the new Inspector Lynley by Elizabeth George. It looks deliciously fat. I love great reads when they last a long time. It will have to wait, though. Teaching a long weird poem by Hughes, then Wordsworth, then a poetry reading.

Hi to Cathy, and enjoy Las Vegas, Joan!

I sometimes watch the food channel when I'm exercising... maybe it's counterproductive, but I need to watch something while I work out if I'm doing cardio on the treadmill or elliptical. It seems to be less about cooking lately and every time I turn it on I get paula deen, sandra semi-ho, or rachel. many of the people I enjoyed aren't on anymore.

Deb, I'm not motivated by music unless there are visuals too, like a concert DVD and then the sound has to come from the TV or external speakers. I absolutely hate music directly in my ears ... I must have funny shaped ears cause they never fit, are uncomfortable, and seem to vibrate the bones in my jaw and head. I can't even use a stethoscope... the ear pieces hurt!

I want to recommend the movie 'Up in the Air". an adult themed movie, and very good. I happen to love george clooney in just about everything except the Oceans movies. a good balance, of funny, sophisticated, folksy, serious, oh just good all around. DH and I both enjoyed it. Clooney, Streep, Damon, almost always predictors of good movies.

Wednesday

Good Morning!

Today I did Cardio Coach #1, plus the abs from Fit To Dance. I really like this ab section. I started using 2.5 lb ankle weights and it makes a difference.

Valerie, once you get the hang of those sit n' stands let me know how you did it...I cannot do those for the life of me. Don't you hate when appointments are messed up? My DH is always telling me about people that come to his office at the wrong time, then swear that the office staff told them the wrong appointment. I guess your DH must have had that happen as well. Just the view from the other side. You must have had the right day for yours because of the day that it was for. As for injuries, I have an ankle that is causing some pain, but I am ignoring it. Can't figure out what happened, it's not like I can point to something that I did. I have that movie on the list of ones I would like to rent...if DH would ever want to watch a movie. One of these days I may rent it and watch myself.

Garance, my cardio is pretty mindless....but I know what you mean..when I did step workout, you can feel yourself having to think while your body is going just one second behind your mind....if you know what I mean. For some reason, I am not too fond of British novels, as soon as I read "Inspector" in the jacket cover, I put it down. Just a quirk of mine I guess.

Hi to Cathy, Josie, ( hope your back is better), Joan on vacation.

Take care..

Hi Ladies,

I feel better today, I went to see a friend of mine who is a physical therapist and treated me before when I had a hamstring pull, she gave me a treatment and taped my lower back muscles to relieve the muscle spasm and I finally got some relief. I will be seeing her again tomorrow, she said that it has nothing to do with my bike riding and that I will be ok to start working out by next Monday. She is a runner and a cyclist herself, so she know how important it is for me to get back on track. She just ran the LA Marathon in 3:15 and she is 46 years old.

Valerie, I saw the movie last week and I loved it even though it had a sand ending.

Deb, you need to get some treatment for you ankle before it gets worst. I receive my solar recharger on Saturday and mailed a check to you yesterday morning. Please let me know if you do not receive it.

Hi Garance, Cathy and Joan.

Josie

Deb, re the sit-and-stands. I use a wooden chair without sides. I initially had to swing my arms a bit to get moving up. for some reason they are easier on the left side, my non dominant side. it's "connecting" the right muscles and feels vague to me. I couldn't do any at first, now I do 12 on the left, maybe 8 on the right.
cathe has a modification where you stand almost upright with one foot off the ground and raise and lower yourself a little, instead of starting seated. If the elevated foot needed to tap the ground to keep going, fine. I can't tell what muscles are involved, it's 'vague" to me. I did the standing-to-lowering-to standing for a while and now I can get up from the chair. for me they are like levitation holds, I just can't find the place that needs to contract, or squeeze, or whatever. I skip weights and do as many as I can, and move on. I don't think they're that important in the big plan. just annoying when you can't figure how to do the move at all.

DH has had dozens of scheduling issues with the front office staff. I'm sure the problem comes up on both sides, employee and patient. this one ticked me off though because I had tried to reschedule the appointment to earlier than April, and to do it I had to give them the april date. I tried probably 5-6 times last winter. If the april date was wrong, there were at least 5-6 occasions to correct it and nobody did. fortunately there's no rush, it's a new doc to get established, not a pressing problem.

we had planned a bike ride today after weather looked poor for a hike. well, it's been raining for about 7 hours straight so probably the ride is off the table too. I did most of KPC yesterday. I was tired and it didn't feel good so I quit about 2/3 thru. still about 40 mion of cardio so good enough.
garance, good luck on the MRI. if something is wrong it's better to know it so you can adjust.

Hi Deb, Josie, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did STS disk 2 for Back and Tris (56 min.).

I forgot to respond, Deb, to your question about ear drops. They are oily drops to soften whatever is in there. I just bought the Rite-aid generic. My doctor said if you are really cheap you can just use mineral oil. If you don't take them in advance of having a nurse suction them out, it's pretty hard for a nurse to do, so s/he will put some drops in and make you sit for awhile before trying. It was weird, though. I only had a wax plug in my right ear and nothing in my left. Boy, am I glad that whining Kate Gosselin finally was voted off DWTS.

Valerie, I am not having an MRI. I'm currently injury-free. I thought the ending to Up in the Air was essentially false, so I couldn't get very sad, although I thought I was meant to. I thought the film was also very good, entertaining, but the ending wrong-headed. And I'm not a happy ending person, so it isn't that.

So glad, Josie, that you did get some relief. I have never had a back spasm, so I can only imagine how painful that is--I've heard.

Cathy, are you getting an MRI??

Sorry garance, I should have looked back to the previous posts, thought I remembered who was getting what. . Cathy.. hope your MRI goes well!

Did disk 36 this morning after about an hour of cardio. started out feeling like it would be too much to do, but I took a short break, drank some water, and went ahead and finished it. I have disk 35 left, plyo legs. then I'm done for the first run of STS. I was so angry when I had gotten up to disk 18 or so and had to stop last summer. I'm feeling good about it this time.

Thursday

Good morning,

No workout today, DH came home late from a club meeting, all chatty, and wound up. Needless to say, he got me all wound up and I had a hard time getting back to sleep.

Josie, I am glad your physical therapist friend was able to help you. I'll let you know when I get the check. Was this the charger you wanted? Did you try it out?

Valerie, I think the chair I was using for the sit n' stands was too low. Next time I will use something a little higher. I bet you feel good finishing STS this time. Will you start again or do you have another rotation in mind?

Garance, I am glad that Kate is off too, I think she was by far one of the worst stars they have ever had. There have been bad dancers in the past, but at least they showed some enthusiasm. She was terrible, and the whinining? ugh...go home!

Take care,

Deb, I read that chair height can be an issue. I'm 5'3" so not a tall person but I'm not sure if higher or lower would be better. trying them standing is the best way to get a handle on the movement. I only tried them once or twice that way and was able to go back to the chair and do a few.

I'll take a mixed week, and then go back and start STS again. I feel like I could go thru it faster now and I love the strength gains I've made and don't want to lose them.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Jazzercise Dancin' Abs (60 min.).

Good for you, Valerie, on finishing STS! I am just starting it again with my sub leg workouts again. The first time I did it, I did every meso twice. How is your DH doing with STS?

Any advice on crazy robins? We have this one guy who just slams into our bedroom window over and over again. I guess he sees his reflection and needs to protect his territory from his doppelganger. Nutty. Meanwhile Max seems to be particularly enraged by wild turkeys and looks like a little high speed train taking off after them. His ears fly and they scatter. More farm problems: a little Berkshire piglet (these are black, not pink) with a prolapsed rectum. DH has her isolated from the others in her own little pen and is not sure what to do. She's perky and eating, but it ain't pretty.

How is your back, Josie? Better I hope.

Sounds like you must have had an interesting talk with DH, Deb. "Worked up"?

How are you, Cathy?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.