Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/28

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning,

All done with BFL lower body, plus the abs from Fit To Dance. I used 2.5 pound ankle weights on the abs and hope I feel it tomorrow. I am still getting stuff for the bathroom, DH and I went to a tile store yesterday and took home 2 samples for the floor tile. I also think I finally have the lights I want. Going to use pendant ones I think.

I have a lot of errands to do today, have to catch up from what I left behind yesterday. I went to lunch with a friend and ended up spending 4 hours in the restaurant. We tip well though so they leave us alone, just keep filling the coffee cups. :D.

It's cold again here, it got up to 48 yesterday, but does not look like it will today. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did SH legs and shoulders (60 min.).

Deb, I heard that by the weekend it could go up to 80 degrees here. Whoopee! Right now it's blustery and cold--40 degrees--but I love to have something good to look forward to.

So this week I will do all new cardio, and then next week I will do something other than SH. Maybe the Max series, with BBL and P-57 as subs for legs.

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend.

Monday

Good Morning,

Kelsey woke me up at 3:30 to go out, and by the time I did that, I figured what is the point of going back upstairs and trying to get back to sleep only to have the alarm go off at 4:15? So I got my workout in ( Cardio Coach #2), protein shake down, and now to relax with some coffee.

Garance, I sure wish we had 80 degrees in the forcast, what a nice Easter that would be. It rained, kind of drizzle type yesterday and is still doing that now. Makes for a muddy yard and muddy paws! Which weight workouts from the Max series? Is that the one with Low Max? I kept that one but sold the rest of them. Absolutely hated Drill Max, thought it was an injury waiting to happen. Are you off this week? I would think most students are going home for the holiday? Or do they not do that anymore?

Welcome to the start of another week!

Good morning all. Get out the black balloons, my birthday is tomorrow. 62. holy cow, how did I get so old. DH has an especially tough work week so we celebrated yesterday. He got me Cathe's push pull tower, and it's very nice. sturdy and easy to put together. will make it easier to do barbell work so I don't need to do the wrist flip as I lie down. Dh will be using it also. also a new purse, and an attempt at more bike shorts. they are hands down, the worst item to shop for. I ordered some from LL Bean cause I was pretty sure the REI ones wouldn't fit and they didn't. Can we blame someone specific for low rise pants? one size I can't get up at all and the next size goes up but falls off. Argh.

we went shopping thinking it would be easy to get a few standard plates for less shifting plates from barbell - barbell - dumbbell. Not so fast.... we had standard plates and handles but the brand is slightly off size. new standard plate holes are too small for the handles we have. plates we have are big for current standard handles so they rattle and slip. they're about 1/16th of an inch "off". the barbell handles are not the same size as the dumbbell handles. and neither barbell fits on the new tower without adding a spacer to push the plates out further. After a lot of jerking around we decided we can get a couple new 10 lb standard plates to use with the barbells, and use older plates with the dumbbells. difficult to figure, not quite figured yet...we thought "standard" was just that.... and it seems silly to dump everything and start over.

Deb, you need doggie Ambien for the puppy... but fab that you did your workout ... taking advantage of an unpleasant situation and making it work. I like Drillmax though I haven't done it lately. always seemed loooong to me.
We did a street bike ride sunday around 2 hours just over 20 miles. somehow we were pedaling uphill into a headwind for 15 miles of it, tougher than expected. the road it started on has converted into a fast road to a freeway ramp so we will need to tweak the route next time. Geez, I sweat bullets going uphill, no decent shoulder, with cars rocketing past at 50+ mph and every other driver on a cell phone. Yikes... warm sunny day, in contrast to the last two days where winter has returned. wind, rain, tons of snow in the mts. feels like December again. garance, sounds, like your weather is just as erratic. it was 70 sunny saturday and sunday/monday it's back to winter.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did a new one for cardio: Just Dance with Petra Kolber (51 min.). Very, very fun, and even though I don't have all the steps down, I will eventually, and I still had a good workout.

Deb, the Max series includes Muscle Max, and then a three-parter for legs on one and then the upper body on the other two. I told Max that I was dedicating the Max rotation to him, and he smiled like he knew what I was talking about. I plan to use the two upper body DVDs and combine them with P-57 and BBL. I like Drill Max, and I was using it for awhile maybe 3 mos. ago, but haven't done it recently. I think there is one shorter premix--maybe 70 min. that I prefer. The students are GONE. This is the second week of spring break, and it is very quiet around here. Max sleeps through the night in his crate. A couple times he did some barking, but probably because of the feral cat who comes meowing every now and then.

Happy birthday, Valerie! I'm 63, so I am still the eldest on this check-in thread. I really like the tower for pullups, chinups, and for chest work. I wasn't sure how useful it would be, but that was when I was feeling cranky about SC. Turns out, it's great. Biking around here is pretty safe because we are still very rural, but you would probably hate all the hills.

Hi to Joan, Cathy, and Josie!

Garance, we played around with the tower a little yesterday, good to hear it works so well. so far no pull ups in meso 3 but the chest presses were getting scary to rotate the barbell as I was lying down. I think I could add a bit more weight but I was worried about doing the wrist rotation. the tower fits nicely over a bench although our barbells are about 2 inches too short to fit on the hooks, so we added a spacer thing to push the plates out wider.
I think we'll get a lot of use out of it. DH used it this morning and I will later today.

Just did, I forget the number, 28? the plyo legs one. that is the hardest workout I have ever done. wow. I had trouble with the warm up! I'm not good at arms and legs doing different things. and I did a halfway job on many of the exercises besides. I'm not good at all the jumping and purposely kept the height down, and thwe weight levels modest and I still feel like I was hit by a truck. Wow, I guess I'll be repeating that one a few times before moving on.

Tuesday

Good Morning,

I just finished a BFL Upper body workout, protein shake down, and now am relaxing with coffee. I am going to DC tomorrow very early, ( 6:50 am flight), and will not be back until around 10:30 pm, so I will most likely not be posting tomorrow, unless I get a few minutes before I have to leave for the airport. These days are killer for me, but, it's part of the job.

Valerie, Happy Birthday!! You are an amazing 62! You and Garance both. I too, would like to draw and quarter the person who introduce low rise pants. I don;t fit into any of them. Shopping for pants is a depressing experience. I think you should change that bike route for sure...people in cars using cell phones scare the heck out of me, and I certainly would not want to be on the shoulder of the road on a bike when they are chatting away in a car...:eek:..I don't think I ever tried any of the plyo leg workouts in sTs..when they say "plyo" I run the other way...:)

Garance, I love Muscle Max workouts, I think I need to get back to that series too. I needed a break from Cathe with STS etc, that is why I went to the BFL. I turn on my old tapes of 70's disco music and just rock on! I may go back to a 30 minute cardio and one body part per day rotation, not sure yet. Max is sure a treasure, he is such a sound puppy, I think it's the environment he is being raised in. You couldn;t ask for a more perfect place for him.

Hi to Josie, Cathy and Joan,

Take care,

This morning I did SH chest and back and planks (60 min.). The planks at the end are killers.

Have a safe trip, Deb! I will have to send some more pics of Max to you. I took some yesterday with Max and our new piglets. He is very playful with them, and they seem curious about him. DH is waiting until the weather improves to move these little ones outside. I also took a couple pics of Max staring (studying?) at Francine's calf.

I don't think we are getting the worst of the nor'easter that is hitting Boston and NYC, but we have certainly been getting a lot of rain.

Valerie, I know I can't do those plyometric leg workouts. My knees just couldn't take it. I wish Cathe would have modifiers on her workouts for people who just can't handle all the impact.

Where are the rest of you pentagenarians?!

I'm not as sore as I thought I'd be. whew. only my butt is a bit sore. DH did it today and didn't like the jumping either. I don't get knee issues from jumping, I get winded and I need longer pauses. when I get so out of breath I lose form, that's when IMO you can misstep and hurt yourself, so I go until control is slipping and stop. It's NOT hard to tell when to stop! I was doing most repeats... like 17 of 20. the other time I could stumble is jumping on and off the step so I lowered the height. exhausting when there are that many! sure don't get as much air as she does. I'll try it again on a stronger day and decide if I'll continue the leg part of meso3. If they're all like this I'll just repeat the easiest one. Makes me think of Bootcamp but worse. Wow, Jai and Lorraine look fantastic!

I feel like I'm coming down with a head cold this morning and that may explain why I was so wiped out yesterday. I'm doing the zinc/vitamin c, lots of fluid and maybe I can duck the punch. I will take a day off today too, which wasn't planned. sometimes if I'm quiet I avoid actually getting sick.

Garance I'm completely ignorant about farm critters. Do you raise them as pets or is it a business? My great uncle had a 'truck farm" when I was little and used to have milk cows, chickens, and vegetables and fruit trees. I don't remember pigs but maybe. made a decent living at it, although it as hard work and everything has gotten so big and centralized now.

Good afternoon,

Happy Birthday Valerie.

Luke Paul David arrived at 8:03 this morning. Dil is doing fine. He's a cutie with dark hair. Where did that come from? Elliot has white blond hair. I came back from hospital to work but may take a short nap.

BBL Joan

congratulations Joan on being a grandmother again. Hope all goes well and your DIL gets home quickly. How long is she taking off before going back to work?

I'm still taking it easy. some minor cold symptoms.. I don't want to wear myself out and get real sick. so I'll do a lite cardio session today and finish my repeat of disk 27 that I started yesterday. I played with my new tower yesterday and yes, I can press more weight when I can place the barbell on the hooks and avoid the wrist flip thing. It's really handy, much easier to change weights even with the threaded bars.

This morning I did Dancin' Abs (60 min.). This is a real sweatfest with great music, and I am going to be really interested in seeing whether all of the torso moves in this have an impact on my abs.

Congrats on a new grandchild, Joan! I remember you hoping to have some time off from caring for Elliot with your dil at home, but there was a snag somewhere (?). Hope you are almost done.

Valerie, these are definitely not pets. DH raises beef and pork. He has six cows and a bull, and every spring there are 6 new calves. At the same time there are yearlings that will be slaughtered next fall. DH was thinking about getting a boar and a couple sows, but has decided to continue getting piglets in the spring and raising them for slaughter in the fall. He is going to get about a 1000 chicks in May because he was so successful with the 30 chickens he raised for us and a lot of his meat customers would really like some free range chickens. If you have never had grass-fed beef or pork from happy pigs, then you really don't know what good meat tastes like. But, as I recall, you are mostly vegetarian.

Hope the cherry blossoms are out for you, Deb! I'm sending some photos of Max, and you will see how much he's grown.

Hi to Cathy and Josie!

yep, you're right garance. no red meat, currently eat a little fish and chicken although I used to be stricter. I guess i'm a semi -fallen vegetarian. I'm not a huge fan and want it mixed with lots of vegies. I know eggs from "loose chickens" ( not factory chickens) are much better. the chickens themselves, I don't know and the way I eat it, like in a stir fry with vegies, I'm not sure I could tell.
we used to have fresh eggs all the time when I was a kid and occasionally now.... my neighbor has chickens and gives us some occasionally. they're very happy chickens!
DH and I raise a lot of our own vegetables and they're generally much better, and sometimes exponentially better than what you can get in a store, so the same principles likely at work.

well, our 4th grandchild is in the oven. whew! don't know how we are gonna handle 4. 3 wear me out, well, actually, 2 wear me out. LOL!

i thought i had checked-in this week, but guess not. let me see if i can remember what i did. today, was outside w/the grankids, tues. was the firm's ultimate fat burning workout. did the kickbox segment 2x for a total of 18 min. mon, hmm lset me look at my workout calendar, well, that didn't help. i didn't put it there either, and i can't remember at the moment.

tomorrow is gonna be jen's body sculpt. hope i am ready for that one.

This morning I did SH tris, bis, abs (60 min.).

Finally some beautiful weather! It's going up to 70 tomorrow (60s today), and up to 80 on Saturday, and Easter Sunday looks nice, too.

I went to the first half of a retirement planning workshop yesterday, and today I will go to the second half. Four hours each day. Yuk! It's very good of the college to provide this service, but by hour 3 my concentration was fading into doldrums. Not sure I will be able to listen to all of the advice, but at least I have an extensive workbook. Hope the food is better. Who knew retirement was such hard work? DH says he will never retire, I guess because farmers just don't. He seems to be expanding right now into more and more ventures.

Received your e-mail, Deb. Yes, Max is in love with the piglets. No mama to keep him away like Francine with her calf. One of the cows is named April because she was born on April Fool's Day. Maybe she will calve today.

Valerie, I am with you on good eggs. DH is now talking about a couple laying hens because of the eggs we've been getting from a local farmer.

Cathy, pretty soon you won't need to exercise. You'll just be worn out keeping up with all the grandchildren.

LOL! i wish , garance. but, i do not w/out on the days they are here. i have learned that is get way too tired. we are on the go the whole time outside. my granddaughter thinks i'm her age.:)

did jen's (the firm) body sculpt this am. anyone who has it knows how HARD it is. and, i went HEAVY. this is my heavy wts for this week. here is what i used.

SQ-20'S
LUNGE/DIP--17'S left leg 2x, used 12's 2nd set
PLIE--20'S
LEG PR.--17/15 1 WT.
SIDE LUNGE--15'S
HOVER--15'S
SQ./ABDUCT--15'S
DBL ARM BENT--17'S
HAMMER 15'S TO 12'S
DBL W/ROTATION--12'S
CL & PR-
SH. PR- COMBO/14'S
FR.PR. 25
LITE SH. 5'S/3'S

so, my muscles are fried. but, i love the workout and i love jen. she is my all time favorite.
ya'll have a great day. gonna be 80 here today. horse bathing day.

mmmmm! traildoggie, fresh grown veggies are as good as fresh eggs. nothing better. fresh corn on the cob is almost sinful it is so good!:) i wish i were a gardner. my husband is the garderner, gets it from his mom. but, he is gone 7 days at a time, and in s.texas, gardens take extreme, daily care, and i just don't have the touch. he does have tomatoes and serrano peppers in the ground. cuz, we make alot of hot sauce. reminds me, i better go water.

i'm trying to get my husband to get a calf to raise and slaughter. we have 8 cows out back , but they are not ours. they are there for the tax exemption for the owners. so, don't think they would appreciate it if we ate one of theirs. :)

Friday!

Good Morning all & Happy Good friday,

Slept in yesterday, and went into work a little late, I did not get home the other night until 10:30 pm. After being up at 4:00 and flying to DC and back in one day, it really makes for a long work day. I did see some cherry blossoms, mostly white, but I did not get in the area where they are supposed to be really pretty.

Yesterday I did the Bonus combo on the Pyramid DVD. Forgot how good this one is. I skipped the lunges though, I am not messing up my knee again. I should have subbed with something else but just FF through them and caught my breath. Cathe moves in warp speed in this workout.

Garance, love the pics of Max and the piglets, and the calf. He looks like he is a little intimidated with the calf, but has a ball with the piglets. They seem to like him too. We got up to the high 70's yesterday, and they are predicting almost 80 today, a record for this area on this date. I can only hope.

Cathy, congratulations to an Upcoming Grandchild! It is so nice that you can play with your grandchildren and they think you are as young as them! What great memories they will always have.

Valerie, How are you feeling? I hope you got those meds in soon enough to ward off the cold...I really liked the squat rack leg workouts in STS. Even though I did not go that heavy at the time. Now that I have the 20 pound vest, I could go heavier if I tried. Have you tried using the Tower as a squat rack? They ( Cathe people) advised against it, but I think it is ok if you don;t load it up too much with weight. It is nice not to have to heave that BB over your head.

Joan, Congratulations & Welcome to Luke Paul David! :D How are the taxes coming along?

Is everyone ready for Easter? I have what seems like a million things to do. Not sure if I mentioned it, but we are having my family over for brunch on Sunday, that and the bathroom remodeling has been taking up most of my free time. Thank goodness DH likes to go food shopping. He has been out and gotten all we need for Sunday. I don;t know how I would do it without him.

Hi to Josie,

Take care,

Deb, I did ward off the cold. I skipped working out hard for the week. all that heavy breathing seems to accelerate symptoms for me. I lucked out with extremely minor symptoms, just enough to cancel a visit to my aunt in assisted living. I didn't want to chance passing it on, it would likely be much worse for her.

I repeated an upper body disk and yesterday we split wood in the morning and I did 35 on the treadmill later on. wed we did heavy yard work, spreading compost with a shovel. wow, stinky stuff. we took the tailgate off the truck to unload it, and I slipped while carrying it and jammed my knee. It's heavy and awkward. then while emptying the wheelbarrow of compost DH and I had a collision. I leaned forward with the shovel to scrape out the compost and at the same instant he decided to push the wheelbarrow forward to empty it. Hit in the forehead with the wheelbarrow handle at full speed. wow, did that smart.

I haven't thought about using the tower as a squat rack. I've never tried squats with anything heavier than I can lift. I can see how it could work that way, and I'm short enough so it would be easy. my legs are so big to begin with, I'm leery of anything that might make them bigger so I've leaned toward lighter weight, more reps. I don't measure but they're ridiculous. bad family trait, no amount of exercise changes anything.

Wow,Deb, that is one long day. I used to fly alot for work, and I understand how tiring that is. the same time spent doing anything else and you won't be half as tired .

Cathy, Deb is right, wonderful memories for the kids.. my memories of grandmothers were fat old gray haired women sitting and doing nothing because they couldn't, and they weren't even that old.

Gardening here is not too difficult. we have a short growing season and some things don't ripen well so we stick to what works. we grow tomatoes, short season ones and sweet corn, so much better than bought. It is heavenly. wohhops, more later time got away from me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.