Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/16

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning,

Jusy geting us started for the week. Had a nice day yesterday, class was good, only did 2 runs with Keegan because I had the hair appointment to get to.

Valerie, as for the caffeine and mamograms, years ago, one of the instructions they gave you before a scheduled mamo was to not have any caffeine 7 days before the procedure. I asked once why they did that and got various answers, one was that it made it less painful, that caffeine made the brreasts more dense or somrthing like that. Then all of a sudden they stopped telling you to stop the caffeine, and it was forgotten. 2 timesago,, they either saw a shadow or couldn't see everything, and said I had dense breasts, and that they wanted a follow up i6 months, which I did and it was a moe extensive exam, not the ususl one. Anyway, when I was at my OB/GYN apt afterwrds, and we were discussing it, I asked him about the caffeine and dense breasts and he said that they stopped that instruction, he didn't know why, but he has started to believe that it may have to do with he dense breast issue, and he thought it probably was a good thing to do before the test...at least it doesn't do any harm so why not try it again? So I am. Sorry for the long explanation!

I plan on a KCM workout this mornng, not sure which yet,

Will be back later..

Good morning ladies,

No workout the past couple of days. Was fighting off a nasty cold and Friday I lost the battle. Came home sick from work and pretty much have been on the couch for the past 2 days. Today I feel better and can actually breath easily. May even do a light strength workout. Depends on how the day goes.

Judy...Echo is so fortunate to have you and your DH. I am really rooting for her.

Lynda/Deb...I remember how expensive the firm workouts were. I never bought any of them back then. I came close though. I do have Susan Harris on VHS that I converted to DVD. I bought it from collage in the 90's. I do not remember what I paid for it but I can't imagine it was a lot more than the other tapes. Maybe $30?

Deb...I never heard about the no caffiene rule. Going to mention this to my doctor. Funny how the rules in the medical field are always changing.

Listening to the news right now and they now are saying the missing plane was deliberately diverted and they are looking into the pilots and back up crew. This is so scary that this would be possible.

I usually make a nice breakfast on Sundays for me and DH to enjoy. This morning he is doing it for me since I have been sick. He is a good man. :)

Hi to Valerie and Josie!

I've never heard that before about mamms and caffeine. don't like them, but reassuring. I don't get that much caffeine so I can't imagine it would be an issue. it seems caffeine buzz lately is more about its potential health benefits, and with zero caffeine I'd be so cranky I'd be an awful patient.
Did a real workout yesterday.... 30 on the elliptical... zero leg discomfort, then burn sets bi's & tris plus core 1. will probably do the same today with the other half of burn sets. our elliptical has the arm thingies and with the tension up you can get your heart rate up there and no impact at all. unfortunately nothing to watch on Saturday TV.

Lori so sorry you are down with a cold. I hate colds more than anything. always so miserable but I also don't work out. seems to make it worse and last longer. Sweet of DH to rise to the challenge and help ease you through it.

I remember buying a Kathy Smith possibly from Collage a long time ago. I tried it for about 5 minutes and that was the end of it. I can't do dance-y stuff and would rather shovel rocks in the rain. I guess I looked at things at collage but never bought much. might have bought a few of cathe's earlier dvd's before I found this site.

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did RK with 1 lb. gloves (55:16).

Deb, I have never heard of that about caffeine either. I would have terrible headaches if I tried to skip my morning cup of Joe. I tried to eliminate coffee when I was pregnant and ended up with terrible headaches, so I checked with my ob-gyn and he said unless I was drinking multiple cups it was not really an issue, and I was so relieved.

Lori, I'm like Valerie--I hate head colds. I do use neosynephrine which really seems to help the nasal congestion when I'm all stuffed up. I have not had a cold, though, in ages.

Glad to hear you are doing better with your shin, Valerie.

Josie, Frida Kahlo is one of the inspirations for the work I wrote about last summer by a photographer. I bet the exhibition was wonderful.

Judy, I hope this new antibiotic helps Echo.

Going to Comfort Sunday dinner again: first course is chicken confit tortilla soup; second course is East Mountain Farm (dh's) sausage and Bolognese lasagna; and third course is red velvet cake. DH will probably do the whole meal, but I will skip the cake and if the mussels are on the menu again, I will go with them instead.

Good evening ladies,

Felt really good today almost at 100%. Very fast moving cold. Could not breath yesterday and today just a little congested. I'll take it.

Ended up doing Cathe's original Bootcamp and it was great. Years since I did this one completely. I have always hated core work so I usually did the premix without the core. But since doing the ruthless workouts which utilize the core in just about evey workout I feel my core is stronger so I went with it on Bootcamp and loved it.

Lynda...your comfort Sundays always sound wonderful.

Valerie...congrats on the workout. Great that you had zero discomfort. We have an ellipital but I rarely use it. My DH usues it more. For some reason I prefer the treadmill. Been a long time since I have run on it. I go thru phases with my workout routines if you have not noticed!

Have a great night all. Chat with you tomorrow!

Good morning and Happy Monday...

I did one of the Walk Fit treadmill workouts this morning, and a KCM yesterday.

Lori, colds are awful, glad you are feeling better.

Josie, how was the ride?

Judy, I hope Echo is responding to the meds. Keeping her in my thoughts.

Valerie, somehow I can see you shoveling rocks in the rain...LOL! Yes, the slant of the caffeine news now is that it's good for you...wait a year, it will be the opposite :).

Garance, I think a little caffeine when pregnant is probably not a bad thing. I know my Mom drank coffee all day and smoked when she was pregnant with my brother and me and it didn't do any harm, at least not that I know of! They didn't know any better then. I don't think smoking is good any time, but especially not during pregnancy.
That comfort dinner sounds great.

Work then class tonight. It starts a little earlier, we have a progress match which are always fun to do. That doesn't mean we get home earlier, the matches are long.

Stay warm!

Deb totally right about how the buzz on things seems to cycle back and forth. I expect the best course is somewhere in the middle, and there's no reason for most people to totally avoid caffeine but excessive use can cause problems. I love my coffee! now smoking... no benefits there. weird to see electronic cigarettes getting popular... the newest nicotine delivery system...

Did another elliptical session, core 1, and 2 sets of 40 knee push ups. didn't plan my time right and ran too late for doing burn sets.
Lori, I prefer the treadmill too but the elliptical is definitely less impact and that is what is best right now. bursitis can become a chronic thing so I want to go easy on that spot for a while yet. with the resistance set up fairly high using the arm things makes it more total body, whereas treadmill is mostly legs. that is the way my headcolds usually are... if I rest & hunker down when it first comes on I do so much better and get over it way sooner.

Josie how was the ride? I hope we can ride today. it's been raining for 2 days straight but looks like might get some clearer skies today so we are hopeful.

Lynda that sounds delicious. I've gotten used to no desserts... never had red velvet cake. I keep hearing it get mentioned though. what's it like?

Last edited:
Hi Ladies,

Ended up not riding at all. I forgot that we were going out on Friday with friends. We went to see Oleta Adams and got home at midnight and I was only able to go spinning. I had dinner and a Manhattan and did not feel well at all on Saturday. Saturday night we went to the exhibit and got home at midnight again had some wine there and once I got home I could not sleep so needless to say I could not get up to go on my ride. I'm such a lightweight now ;)

I have not been having wine and have been eating clean since I stared my ALC training so no more partying for me until after the ride.

Lori, hope that you are feeling better.

Valerie, hope that you get some riding in today :). I'm going spinning later on today.

Judy, thinking of you.

Deb, I drank coffee when I was pregnant, just not in large quantities. My DH was born drunk because his mom was having cocktails with her family and the family doctor when she went into labor. He was born at home ;). She was also a chain smoker.

Garance, the exhibit was beautiful and the museum is amazing. I will be going there more often now that I'm a member.

Josie

This morning I did Barre Fitness (60 min.).

Comfort Sunday meal was delicious. The chef, however, always sends out something in addition to the meal, so we brought home most of the lasagna. He sent out an octopus dish that was really well done. It can taste like rubber if not done correctly, but this was perfect. I had a couple bites of the red velvet cake, and it's a chocolate cake with a ganache frosting and filling, but unlike the usual commercial red velvet cake, which uses red dye for the color, the pastry chef decided to do the original recipe, which uses beets to create the red color. It was very very good.

I have been watching Orphan Black, and I must say that it's really a good series. The lead actress is excellent--Tatiana Maslany. Apparently the second season begins on April 19 and I just discovered that I get BBC America on cable. Who knew? I was thinking of pre-ordering the second season on DVD, but then I checked my cable channels and sure enough, there it was.

Josie, I heard that LA had an earthquake this morning. Did you feel it?

Sigh! Will spring ever get here? My younger son gave me a little basket of bulbs for Valentine's day--tulips, snowdrops, and daffodils--and I have been watching them bloom and yearning for some nice spring weather. Maybe since March has been a lion it will go out a lamb.

I think the Malaysian pilot did it and is now a mass murderer. How could anyone just kill a bunch of people like that? He must have turned off the air pressure in the plane and just let them die comatose. If you need to kill yourself in an airplane, go rent one and do it, but leave innocent people out of it. This was actually the same flight my older son and his wife did from Kuala Lumpur to Hong Kong back in January. Scares me.

Good evening ladies!

No workout today. I actually slept very well for a sunday but so use to not that my alarm is set later on Mondays. Woke up with tons of energy. The plan was to possibly do something when I got home but my DH had wine poured so that ended the workout!

Josie...funny about the wine. I am the same way. One glass is plenty for me. But what does me in more is staying out late. Takes me a while to get back into things after a night out.

Lynda...the cake does sound delicious! I am not a fan of red velvet but what you described sounds nice. I would pass on the octupus though. I agree with you about the plane and was thinking that yesterday that they all dosed off and died before they crashed. So sad. Hope we find out what happened to prevent this ever happening again. Scarey that your son was on this flight. As far as Spring...who knows. I still have tons of snow in my yard.

Valerie...everyone can not believe how quickly I bounced back from this cold. I did exactly what you said. Rested the entire day. Did nothing and then that was it. My immune system must be working overtime. The past few weeks I have incorporated green smoothies into my diet. Spinach, carrots, greek yogurt, coconut milk, a little fruit, chia and flax seeds. Plus I have been eating a lot of Quinoa. All this may very well helped me more than I know!

Deb...I could never do classes like you do at night and then get up and workout as early as you do. I would be a zombie all day. How did the match go?

Hi to Judy and praying for Echo.

Interesting day. DH and I went for a ride... got our road bikes tuned up a week ago and it's been raining every since. stormy this morning with hail and snow and slush but then cleared off so we headed to a close by trail so we wouldn't be too far away from our car if the weather turned bad. had gone barely 5 miles when DH's bike suddenly made a loud crunching sound and the entire derailleur bent and twisted, jamming the bike up completely. so I rode back to the car and we loaded it and took it to the bike shop. it's not clear exactly what happened... but they fixed it free because of the very recent service. but that ended the workout quicker than expected. will try again tomorrow.

I will agree here with Lori and Josie... if I stay up late, I am a washout the next day. makes no difference if I drank anything or not. If I go much past a normal bedtime for me(early) I feel like crud the next day. I can't seem to sleep well if I stay up, and can't sleep later in the morning to compensate. Even a lot of conversation in the evening seems to get me too revved up to sleep well, so I try to do those things before 5 pm.

I think some cold viruses are more virulent than others, and I think if you've had that particular virus before, you may not get as ill. but if I feel one coming on, I think rest is the best way to recover quickly. being well rested and well nourished can't hurt either.

I will also pass on the octopus but would give red velvet a taste test if I get a chance. finally, someone has found a good use for beets!

I am fascinated by the missing airplane... how can this be happening? is it possible with all the altitude changes and maneuvering and direction changes that someone commandeered the plane and ordered the crew around? seems unlikely since no group has claimed responsibility. seems unlikely the pilot and copilot were working together on this so one must have done something to the other? what if it landed somewhere? seems unlikely but apparently is possible. what a PR nightmare for Malaysia in general, and for their airline. I'm a nervous flyer to begin with... this kind of thing makes me lose sleep.

Hi Everyone,

Today was a rest day. Hoping to get a good workout in tomorrow morning.

Thank you for all of the thoughts and prayers for Echo. Unfortunately, she hasn't improved yet. I have a thread on her in the cat forum if anyone is interested:

The vet thinks our kitten has FIP - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

Deb- I had a small cyst in my breast 20 years ago. I went to the doctor because I thought it was a lump.
They did an ultrasound and told me it was a cyst, likely caused by caffeine. I didn't stop using caffeine, and I haven't had an issue since then.

Lori-sorry about your cold. I'm glad you are feeling better.

Josie-I can't stay out late anymore either. I have a very hard time the next day.

Hi to Valerie and Lynda

Judy

Good morning,

No workout today, late class last night. Although it started earlier, we stayed a bit longer than I thought we would to do some practice in the ring.

Valerie, you are right about smoking! Yes, those e-cigarettes are getting very popular. Do you have little stores popping up all over selling them? I also prefer the treadmill, I had an elliptical just like yours, but ended up selling it...I never used it and it took up a lot of space in my basement workout area. Actually was in John's area and he was glad when I sold it.

Josie, home at midnight and a Manhattan? No wonder you could not do the ride! LOL. It would take me 3 days to get over that. LOL about your DH being born drunk!

Garance, I have had commercial Red Velvet cake, but never knew that the true one was made with beets to get the red color. Interesting. Now I want to try that one, but I bet I could not find it anywhere around here. What makes you think it was the pilot? What about the co-pilot...they are saying that he was the one that said "goodnight all, or goodbye, something like that... The investigators have been doing deep background checks on the pilot and crew and have not found any link to terrorism, which was my first thought.. I know there are so many theories out there on this. So sad for the family of those passengers.

Lori, sometimes you just need to take a whole day off. :). I don't work out the morning after a late class, ( like today)...I could probably do it, but there would be such a dread factor, as well as being too tired. Try replacing the yogurt in your smoothie with kefir. Then you are completely taking care of your immune system.

Judy, Yes, 20 years ago they did think caffeine was the cause of cysts and dense breasts, hopefully Friday I will have good results and a big cup of full caff coffee when I get out of there! Maybe someone on the forum has experienced what Echo has and can give some input. She is such a little fighter. I went over to that forum link, that is a great group of people, for the information and the support since they have had a lot of experience with various cat issues. Still praying for Echo.

Work, then home to relax. Stay warm...still no signs of spring here...*sigh*..

Last edited:

This morning I did Jazzercise Hiit (47 min.).

The reason why I think the pilot was responsible is that he had his own flight simulator at home that he created himself with three computers hooked together. He was very proud apparently of his abilities as an aviator and one of his friends described him as a tech geek who probably knew everything about the plane he was flying. The copilot was much younger with a lot less flying time and was engaged to marry.

Judy, that cat forum looks so helpful. I had no idea there were so many specialized forums for individual diseases.

Valerie, that must have been weird to just have the bike collapse like that. I stopped drinking red wine awhile ago because I seemed to get headaches and a hangover from the tannins. White wine doesn't bother me, so I often have a glass of chardonnay with dinner. I'm weird, though, because I must have it over a big glass of ice. Can't stand warm white wine.

Lori, we are headed to Boston this weekend, so I am hoping for a bit of spring. The Boston symphony is doing a memorial concert for my sil and we plan on going to a museum. Also, DH has reservations at Strega's restaurant. Apparently the sportscasters he listens to on his IPod are always talking about this restaurant, so he wanted to go. We will also go to Legal Seafood one night. Lobster for me--yes!

Deb, I think the pastry chef said red velvet cake was a southern invention from the "low country" and it was a very old recipe she was using.

Hi to Josie!

It would seem the pilot would have needed to incapacitate the co pilot before doing anything. although he did have the flight simulator, he sounded like a well rounded person with a lot of interests. he didn't sound depressed and suicidal... for what ever that's worth. and crazy enough to kill the copilot and the rest of the crew plus all the passengers? I still wonder if the "stolen passport persons" had something to do with this, and somehow their plan to publicize their "achievement" didn't materialize. maybe they had plans to steal the plane and fly it back to one "stans", Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc. considering the change of direction and changes in elevation to avoid detection. very disturbing no matter what comes out of it.

It was a total shock to DH when his bike crumped. we think something wasn't adjusted correctly on the service. we had more than a thousand miles on the bike with not the slightest problem. we had gone barely 5 miles when, without a squeak, it disintegrated.

I need to look at the cat forum but haven't yet. Judy, it takes antibiotics a while to build up and start working.

I am also someone with red wine issues. especially rich intense ones like cabernets. headaches. stuffy nose. almost like allergy season. I like red wine and will have a bit of lighter reds rarely, but usually am a chardonnay person. any temperature will do.

Lynda, have a good time in boston!

Deb, I haven't seen anyone with an e cigarette but I am seeing the product all over the place. with marijuana being legal here now that is getting more of the local buzz and even e cigarettes. I read somewhere how e cigs are being marketed to kids though under a different term than "smoking". all I can think of is "fracking" but that's not it.
all kinds of businesses popping up to sell pot and distribute it in various food products. I never had much interest in it. it either made me hungry or made me sick to my stomach. neither was a good outcome .... so I have no interest in partaking.

Good morning,

Another rest day for me, I woke up at 3:40, but that was too early to get up, and the next think I knew it was 5:00! I should have gotten up the first time.

Garance, I'm starting to think it was the pilot too, however, they can't seem to find any reason for him to do this, and what about the co-pilot? It was his voice that said those last words. If not in on it together, did he have to disable him somehow first? Your Boston trip sounds great! Who takes care of Max while you are gone?

Valerie, Good thing your DH didn't get hurt when his bike fell apart...On the plane story, I was thinking the same thing, that the first reports were that the pilot was a "good guy" regular type person with no bad ties to anything, John ( and now I heard it on the radio for the first time yesterday) said that he thinks it was his possible connection, to the person, because he was at the trial of that opposition leader. I agree on the E-Cigs...they are, and look ridiculous. Also, you can choose your nicotine level, because it's the tar supposedly that is the bad part of smoking. Ugh....it's all bad.

Hi to Judy, Josie, & Lori,

Take care,

One of the first articles I read about the plane incident talked about the Malaysia (after G Britain gave up control) officials in charge and how cronyism and family ties continue to keep people in charge who are not necessarily competent because they are never challenged. I don't think malaysia's officials have been forthcoming and are trying to figure this out as they go along. obviously they are the source of info in pilot, copilot etc. so I think that is in question too. it sounded like Malaysia is a tightly controlled country but those in control are technically inept by world standards. great. this will cost everyone!

went to yoga yesterday, then did a ride, the ride we started the day before. only about 15 miles total but weather was unpleasant. not awful... drizzling on and off and fairly cold. bike worked fine. when the bike failed, the whole rear derailleur bent up and twisted sideways. it was not "ride-able" rear wheel wouldn't move. we'd never seen anything like it and were hesitant to start yanking and pulling on things thinking we could make things worse. it would be a disaster if you were 20 miles out on a trail on a mt bike. fortunately on road bikes you usually are where someone can ride back to the car. not convenient but a good reason to have some extra clothing along.

My mother had a skin cancer removed yesterday. took about 6 hours, an in-office procedure but she did fine. her birthday is next month. I am actually forgetting how old she is.... 94 I think. she has several skin cancers that were let go for some reason but have been troublesome lately. so she is getting them removed. they planned on doing several but this one was deeper than expected and took longer.

my friend with the pancreatic cancer is still waiting to see a surgeon, tomorrow is the soonest she could get. I can't believe it's taking so long! her insurance network didn't have a lot of qualified people.

This morning I did bis and tris from Xtrain (45:34). I start out these 16 rep exercises really heavy, and then gradually wimp out, especially on the final crazy dips where I do the first 32 and then rest for 8, do another 8, rest for 8, and do the final 8.

Deb, what time do you go to bed? I guess 3:40 is okay if you go to bed at 8 or 9, but it sounds too early for me to get up and get going in the dark of night. Apparently that sudden turnaround in flight may have been programmed into the computer before they even took off and it may not even been noticeable to passengers because it was very smooth. I don't think they are absolutely sure who said those final good nights--or at least it took quite awhile before they could make up their minds who it was. This morning I heard that the FBI had copies of the hard drives of both pilot and co-pilot, and that the FBI was going to try to recover data that had apparently been deleted not long ago from the pilot's flight simulator. The whole thing is just crazy. Maybe now that the FBI is involved some competent people will take control of the investigation.

Valerie, wow, 6 hours is a long time for an office procedure. Hope your mom is okay. Is it basal cell carcinoma?

On Saturday, I'm trying to make up my mind whether to go to the Museum of Fine Arts, which has a big Impressionism exhibition (which I have seen a lot of anyway at the Clark here in Williamstown) but also exhibitions of avant-garde photography, which interests me, and a lot of new American stuff; or go to the much smaller Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, which has watercolors by Sargent, which I've never seen. DH also wants to do the Fenway Park tour, which cracks me up because the guide book says it's great for kids. He's a big kid I guess--and he's been there for games, but thinks the tour will give us some baseball history.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was ruthless fast slow circuit and tonight was just a couple of the 100 rep challenges...hip thrust and bis. Worked late and was tired. Felt good at least doing these two things.

I have no idea what to make of the missing plane. It is unbeleivable that in this day and age we still are unable to locate it. I am leaning towards the pilot too. Especially where he was practicing landing on 5 different types of landings. Heard that I think yesterday.

Judy...the forum looks like a great place for support. Poor little Echo. Still praying for her.

Valerie...I. thought the same thing about your mom and 6 hours. Must have been really deep. Glad it is taking care of. 94! Bless her!!

Lynda...have fun in Boston! I thought I heard the weather will be nice for a change. Been a while since I have been to the MFA. I have always enjoyed when I have gone. Never been to the smaller one. Oh decisions! Fenway is fun. My company did the tour a few years back and we all really enjoyed it. We are all big kids at heart!

Deb...good for you having another rest day. Sometimes it is great when that happens. Sleep in decision is made for you!

Hi to Josie!!!

My brother & his wife takes care of our mother. she is from a long line of long lived women who have serious arthritis issues but just keep on going. generally no cancer issues except may be a few skin things because of being so pale. she was a redhead and no one heard of sunscreen back in the past, plus lived on a lake, so she is probably lucky it took this long to develop. I think her primary care doc let it slide when it should have been dealt with when smaller. Lynda, she had at least one basal cell and I think this is that one. she has some squamous cell ones too that I think they will deal with as needed in the next few weeks. my brother acts 'tough" but he takes good very care of her and he (or SIL) decided this needed to be addressed... when her doc let it slide!

it was in an o/p setting with a bathroom handy and in a big dental type recliner chair so she could get up when needed. just local anesthetic. she doesn't move much at home so apparently she enjoyed the attention, and it was "just like home" plus he took her out for burgers, fries and ice cream after. .... which she chowed down on. most people would have been in assisted living long ago but he keeps her moving and won't take no for an answer.

Judy please check in and let us know about Echo.

we had a shopping trip and lunch with the doc who took over DH's practice when he retired. a very pleasant afternoon. she is from India and a lovely tough young lady. it must be hard to go this far, get thru med school, internship, residency, and set up an independent life a half a world away from where you were born. I really like her.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.