Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/16

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning!

DH wants to go fishing today, so we went to breakfast really early, and I am going to try to get Disk 1 in after the food digests!:rolleyes:..

We never went anywhere for dinner. We took Keegan to a puppy play group around 12:30, then afterwards stopped for lunch so by 6:00 we were not even hungary. We decided to heat up some leftover frozen pizza, and that was our romatic Valentines day dinner! :D...

The play group was awesome, 20 dogs, all ages, running around in a big room having a great time. These were the 25 pound and less dogs, so they were all fairly the same size. Keegan became friends with a yorkie mixed breed and would not leave him alone. After an hour of this, he slept most of the afternoon! Great for me!

It is cold here but very sunny, with blue skies.

Joan, it sounds like you are still buried in paperwork...does it go like this up to April 15th?

Have a great day!

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie, and Joan--

This morning I did Disk 4 (55 min.). So many pushups! Off again to the Dance Flurry this afternoon, so I will get in some aerobics--West Coast Swing and Waltz.

Hi everyone,

It's always the busiest the first couple of weeks -everyone is desperate for their refunds.

I couldn't get any wo done this weekend. I feel like I haven't gotten any benefit from sts without cardio. I've decided to start sts rotation over tomorrow. I've scheduled it all including cardio.

Joan

Monday Madness!

Good Morning!

Today I did a sprint/walk combination on the treadmill for 30 minutes then did the med ball abs from STS, up when the partner is required. I don;t have a med ball so I used a 3 pound DB. Yesterday I did do disk one over again, and this time it went better since I knew what was coming up. I will repeat last week, but then may go on, and not repeat, not sure yet. It depends on how disk 4 goes I guess.

Garance, yay for dancing. That sure is a fun way to get some cardio in!

Joan, I feel for you with all the people wanting their refunds! I guess it's good for you for income though.

Waves to Linny & Josie! Have a great day ladies!

This morning I did 5 miles with Leslie (65 min.).

Boy, I feel like a dancing fool! Two long afternoons learning to dance and then dancing. DH seems to have found a dance he really likes--West Coast Swing. He likes the music for it better than regular swing because it's more bluesy--Mustang Sally, Let the Good Times Roll. He also likes spinning me around. My hips are really, really sore, and I'm sure I did get a great aerobics workout both afternoons, but especially yesterday. Just a great band and blues singer for some of the numbers--"Take me to the River, put me in the water." When we were not dancing, we just watched, and I'm telling you, there are some great dancers to watch. We ate at this really good Mexican restaurant both evenings on the way back from Saratoga.

Sounds like Keegan had a great time socializing with all the other dogs. I meant to ask you, Deb, did you watch any of the Westminster Dog Show? I saw some of it and just found it entertaining.

Recommendation: If you get cable CNBC, there's a special called House of Cards about the housing bubble and what went wrong. It is really educational and also scary, because it's just a lot of people willing to look the other way if it means more money for them. I guess if I were to choose the worst villains, it would be the credit rating agencies--Standard and Poor's, Moody's--because they gave AAA ratings to mortgage securities worth nothing, convincing foreign investors as well as Americans to buy them. We're talking little villages in Norway buying these worthless bundles of mortgages that clearly were never going to be paid off. No wonder the world blames it all on us. They're right.

Hi everyone,

Just finished disc 1. This time I did abs first. Last time I didn't even get them done.

I worked until 3am and then Elliot woke at 3:30 and didn't get back to sleep. I had nap between 6pm and 7pm. But am ready for bed now.

Joan

Tired Tuesday!

Good Morning all,

No workout today..Keegan got me up at 3:30 after whining for an hour. I tried to make him stay and go back to sleep because I knew he didn;t need to "go out"...he wanted a new rawhide that we had left downstairs. Sure enough when I got up and let him downstairs, he ran for the rawhide instead of the door!:confused:..I had a choice, workout at 3:30, or go back to bed, I went back to bed. Now I wish I would have done the workout.

Garance, love the visual of you and DH dancing! So nice! Did you drive back and forth to the dancing each day? or stay overnight? I can;t imagine doing 5 miles with Leslie. I guess it must not have been the shrieking one! We did watch the first night of the West Minster, when they did the terrier group of course! When the Wire Fox Terrier did not make best of group, we stopped watching. We are loyal to our Wires! That show on cable sounds depressing. How did we get where we are?

Joan, you must be exhausted. Is there something in the hemisphere that wakes up dogs and kids at 3:00 am?

Have a great day!

Good morning everyone,

:D:D:DTEN HOURS OF SLEEP:D:D:D

I may feel human today.

I got closer to my 60% 1rm yesterday, so I feel it a little more than I did the first time. Doing abs first works the best. I know I wouldn't have even considered doing them after wo.

I forgot weigh in yesterday. "Official one day late weigh in" 163lbs no change. I'm thrilled. I have been eating without a plan and wouldn't have been surprised with a gain.

Will get back later with wo.

Joan

Good Morning Ladies,

I had a niece long weekend even with the rain on Sunday and again today. I did PUB yesterday and I will be running 3 miles at the gym tonigh.

My DH and I had a very nice Valentine's day. The Conga Room was very nice and we are planning on going there again. Their restaurant looked very nice and the menu looked interesting.

Garance, I was a bit sore from dancing on Saturday. It is a great workout and would love to do this instead of other cardio.

Linny, How was your Valentine's day?

Joan, I'm glad that you got 10 hours of sleep. I also slept extra hours on Sunday and Monday.

Have a great day Ladies!

Josie

This morning I did disk 5 for back and tris (58 min.). Lots of variety, lots of different ways to feel the pain. I wish I could do a pullup! I did order those woodybands, so I am hoping it will make a difference.

Deb, we drove to Saratoga both afternoons. It's a little over an hour, and DH has to take care of his ladies (the cows) and the bull Kool every morning. Okay, so here is one little tidbit from House of Cards that I found stunning. People who couldn't make the entire monthly payment on their mortgages were permitted to pay whatever they could. What they couldn't pay was added on to the principal. Here's another: mortgage brokers allowed people to say what their incomes were and never went through the process of confirming the income. In fact, people were encouraged to lie in order to create the illusion that they had enough income to pay for a mortgage. The mortgage brokers they interviewed said, "Look, if I didn't think this was right, I would just have too little business, because someone else would broker the mortgage."

Good for you on the 10 hours of sleep, Joan. I agree with you on the abs and the long stretch, too. I just can't seem to tack on either at the end of these workouts. Maybe tomorrow with my kickbox I will do one.

Yes, Josie, I love the dancing as a workout. I was really perspiring on Sunday afternoon and wished that I had worn lighter clothing. Some of the women actually brought lighter clothing to change into because it's winter here, but definitely summer on the dance floor. I also noticed a lot of them were wearing these lovely little dance shoes. I almost bought a pair.

Hi to Linny!

Hi Ladies:
Meant to check in last night but DS came over and we were figuring out his tax return.Looks like his getting back $650.He wasn't too happy about this since last year he got $950 back.Told him he should be happy getting something back because we are paying in about $10,000 for taxes.Shut him up.
Deb:Eek 3:30am,I don't blame you I'd go back to bed too.I quess I'm lucky (in a way) that I don't have too worry about a dog or child waking me up at 3 in the morning.
Garance:DH and I also did Mexican for Valentines Day.We were going to get lobsters and cook them at home but the house is pretty messy right now with the renovations ,we didn;t want another in the kitchen.DH bought me white gold heart earrings and necklace.He does have good taste for a guy.One of these days I want to take dance lessons again.Maybe after this economic slump.
JoanC: Glad you got caught up on your sleep.I will send sleepy vibes to Elliot.I'm still weighing in at 168pds.My DH told me yesterday that he weighed himself and lost about 6pds.He said he weighs under 170 now.I was too ashamed to tell him we weigh about the same.He's 6'2" and I'm 5'3":eek:
Josie:Sounds like you had a nice Valentines Day.Garance and you make me jealous with all this dancing ;).Some day.....
Have a great night~Linny~

Quick check in-

I just finished a highly modified Imax2. It got my heart rate up but Cathe wouldn't have recognized it as her dvd.

Off to shower and then back to work.

Joan

Hump Day

Good Morning all,

No workout again..another 3:00 am night with a certain dog that is going to be drugged soon if he doesn't stop this nonsense. DH got up with him, but I still was awake for a while, then could not get up at 4:15 to work out.

Joan I am so envious of you and your 10 HOURS OF SLEEP! :eek:. Good job on keeping the weight. It must be the exercise, even though you think you should be gaining. I am afraid to get on the scale!

Josie, it sounds like you had a nice weekend, and all the dancing going on around here is great! No dancing for my DH...he hates it!

Garance, What is a woodyband? I have the tubing that hooks over the door that Cathe shows on the Cathe TV video she has out now..

Linny, How sweet that your Dh bought those for you! You have to pay $10k in taxes???:eek:...I guess I would be happy with any refund too. We usually get a small refund, but DH turns it right back in because being self-employed, he has to pay each month, no one to take taxes out of his paycheck! Have you been using your eliptical?

Off to get showered etc...have a great day!

Hi Ladies,

Today I will be doing PLB after work, it has been a bit cold here to workout in the AM.

Linny, It sounds like a very nice present. My DH and I did not exchange presents this time. We could not think of anything that we wanted or needed.

Joan, I also got a few extra hours of sleep this weekent. My DH was surprised that I did not get up at my usual time on Sunday and Monday.

Hi Deb and Garance!

Josie

This morning I did Kelly C-M's Kickbox (53 min.).

Deb, if you google woodybands, you will see what they are used for. There are even some youtube videos demonstrating pullups and chinups with them. I bought a set of 3, and the strongest of them will eliminate over 50 lbs of my weight that I have to hoist up, so I have high hopes I will be able to get a big boost and then gradually work my way down to the other two woodybands for support. I currently have Cathe's tubing and have it attached to my pullup bar, but this just doesn't seem to be much of an exercise.

Anyone watching American Idol? I voted last night for Alexis Grace. I think she looks rather like a young Dolly Parton, and she did a great Aretha Franklin song. Another big elimination round tonight.

Linny, how sweet of DH to buy you those earrings and necklace. A lot of my jewelry is from DH and I wear something he's given me every day--in addition to the rings. He keeps telling me to get my ears pierced so he can "branch out" from rings, bracelets, and necklaces, but I am too cowardly to have some teenaged girl at the mall poke holes in my ears. My DH is 6' and weighs 155. Very lean, and very strong. I watch him do chinups and pullups like nothing.

Back to my writing here. Hi to Joan and Josie!

Hi Ladies:
Today was meeting after meeting.Seems more tiring than running around the building. First was morning report, then medicare meeting, then careplanning inservice,then help feed residents on alzheimers unit,then last but not least careplan meeting. I think I was on my units for about 1/2 hour each today.No wonder I feel like nothing is accomplished at the end of day.
Deb:Maybe you should give Keegan a bowl of wine before bed:p Bet that would make him sleep.DH has his own business and does have to make periodic payments to IRS.But one of his jobs screwed him out of $11,000 and now he is playing catch up.Did the elliptical yesterday morning:D
Garance:I wish I had the metabolism of my husband,I just have to look at food and I gain weight.:eek: I actually pierced my own ears when I was 15yrs old.The old ice cube,freeze your ear and needle thing.So one of my piercings is a little off,since I did it myself.
JoanC:Glad to see that you can at least get in a workout.
Josie:Its snowing here right now,suppose to get 3-5inches.I guess I can't complain since its been almost 2 weeks since last storm.I was going to workout when I got home from work but I was to darn tired from all those meetings.Tired when I get up,tired when I get home.Geesh!
Have a great night~Linny~

Hi Linny, Josie, Deb and Garance,

Just finished disc 2. The only problem I had was getting up from bench. Abs were really sore from Monday wo. I knew I shouldn't have been skipping them but I really hate ab work.

One good thing I was so tired I was going to go to bed, but now I'm energized so back to work.

Joan

Thursday, 2 days before the weekend!

Good Morning,

I am very tired, cannot workout, not sure what is going on with this old body! I feel like I need to sleep for 10 hours straight, but can't. STS is all messed up now, I will have to decide if I just go to disk 4 starting Sunday, hopefully, since this week of repeating 1-3 didn't happen. Well at least I had 2 days of relatively clean eating. For me that means no sugar treats.

Josie, are you still working out in your garage? I can understand how that would be cold especially in the am.

Garance, & Joan. I did Google those bands, and I have seen the YouTube video of how to use them to assist on pull ups etc. I should order them, right now I am using the one that has the weighted piece at the end that slips between the door and door jamb. That tubing is tough, not as hard as doing a pull up though. Did I mention that I ordered the slanted risers? I wish I hadn't . They are clumsy to use, take time to get right, and take up a lot of room in my workout area. Now that you have the bands/pull up bar are you going to get the tower when and if it ever comes out?

Garance, I don't watch American Idol, singing has never been enjoyable for me, and especially if the people can't sing! Go ahead and get your ears pierced! It takes seconds and you don't feel anything. I have 2 holes in one ear, but have not worn the extra earring for a long time so it may have closed up by now. I got my first ones done when I was 13. Actually went to a plastic surgeon, because that was the only way my Mom would let me do it. Like Linny, all my friends were doing each others in the kitchen with ice cubes and my Mom was horrified that I would get an infection. I remember he charged $5 !!! It was hard to get an apt, he was very busy with all the girls trying to get in to see him! Then I get the third at the mall one day. My cousin wanted an extra one, and they sold them in pairs so she talked me into getting the other one from her "pair" ..

Linny, I hate meetings too, they do make you more tired than if you were running around doing other real work!..what is with us and all this tiredness? I wouldn't mind if I could sleep and feel rested, but it's not happening. If someone screws your DH out of payment, can he take it as a loss on his taxes? Joan would know! Joan??

Joan, which ab workout made you not be able to get up from the bench? That's the one I need!

Have a great day!

Linny,

Hi Deb Garance, Josie and Linny,

Deb you need to work out to get your energy back. Unless Linny's dh already picked up $11000 in income he can't deduct it as a loss.

I did the no equipment abs. It was climbing the pretend rope I think that killed me. I haven't been doing abs and I knew it would be difficult.

Just got back from obgyn. Mammogram was ok I forgot to report in to everyone since you made me go.:D Next week is bone density scan. I am going to wait until after tax season to get colonoscopy. Then I should be all set for at least another ten years.:rolleyes: Just kidding.

Will check in with wo later.

Joan

This morning I did disk 6, legs. You can stop at 45 min. or do the bonus, which I did, making it 55 min. I really liked the bonus on this one with the band and floorwork and ankleweights.

Deb, I'm not going to get the tower now that DH has put up a bar for me. I didn't get those slanted risers. I just pull out a riser at one end and place it on the other. It works fine for incline moves. Sorry you are feeling so tired. Maybe you are a bit down from losing your dad? Sadness can make you very weary.

Watched Frozen River last night with Melissa Leo. She's up for best actress in a lead role for this film. She is very impressive, and the film is excellent (in the realist mode--an indie made on a shoestring), but I suspect Kate Winslet will be the winner this year for her role in The Reader. Then I watched my American Idol recording. Yep, Alexis Grace is moving on. One of the guys is a recent widower and I think he's okay, but it's like everyone feels duty-bound to drum up sympathy for the guy. The third guy to go on is a country-singer type.

Linny, I know what you mean about DH's metabolism. My DH has never weighed more than 167, and that was when he was quite sedentary (his student days). Now he's just constantly on the move. Maybe if I followed him around I'd lose weight? I'm with you on meetings--hate them! That's why my sabbatical is so great. No committees! No faculty meetings! No boring lectures! No candidate interviews!

Hi to Joan and Josie!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.