Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/12/

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning all,

Just last minute packing, still having trouble deciding what to bring since the weather shows anywhere from low 30's to high 70's. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I know I will pack too much and not wear half of it.

Have a great week!

Hi Deb and any later posters--

Thanks for starting us, Deb. I did Turbo Barre this morning (74 min.).

I decided not to go to the Meryl Streep film. I read the reviews, and decided I could definitely wait on this one.

Going out tonight for dinner. DH is doing all kinds of little fix-it stuff around the house as his Valentine's Day gift. I love it. Drawers that stick are now unstuck; overhead lights that need to be replaced are now shining; the hood on the stove has been fixed (one light was out, and the fan needed cleaning); sliding doors in the front hall closet can now be moved with a pinky instead of pushed with both hands; our wedding photos are now in a big frame and hanging where we can see them; tires rotated on my car. All I did was buy a card. But of course I cook and clean and with a lot of TLC. Anyway, I think this is better than flowers, and much superior to candy, which I DON'T NEED.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. It's pretty cold here today, but it will be back up in the 40s by Wednesday.

good morning. I did Yardmax yesterday. it's springy out there, with so many things coming up, like NETTLE. always a joy in spring. it's not bad when it's real small, just troublesome when it gets 4 feet tall. daffodills and other early plants up an inch already.
and today we went on supposedly a snowshoe but the snow had retreated. it's a closed road. we walked uphill for 90 minutes and gave up on the project. there was snow at the beginning but it quickly disappeared and was barely patchy when we quit.

so sad to hear about whitney houston. I'd read about her troubles but so sad when someone who has so many gifts, things I always thought would have been wonderful to have, squanders their talents and their life with drugs. so sad. I loved her voice. I can't sing a note. when people sign "happy birthday" I only move my lips.... unable to carry a simple tune.

Deb, have a great trip.... oh, that's right, it's work related... a good trip! I always plan to have more things than I'll likely wear. that kind of temp range you need some alternatives in case it's hotter/colder/ wetter than expected. or if for some reason people are dressing 'up" or "down" more than expected.

Linda, a very thoughtful gift(s) from DH. I get flowers. they're nice but I'm more practical and would like other things more. I'll see the Thatcher movie later too. Meryl streep will be wonderful as always but reviews sound disappointing.

Hi Valerie, Josie, and Joan--

This morning I did After Burn (54 min.).

Wow, it's cold here and no one is accustomed to it. Yesterday the wind chill was something like 5. Tomorrow it's headed back up again. Spring is still a long way off here. We often get April snowstorms and occasionally into May, so I try never to get my hopes up.

Valerie, I like the idea of flowers, but prefer DH doing all kinds of little jobs around the house that I can't do. We'll be going out again tomorrow night for dinner. Local chefs always have special Valentine's Day menus.

Well, we made a hire, so interviewing is over--permanently for me, tra la!

good morning... DH got me flowers yesterday, will not have time to get any today as it will be a long work day. I will shoot for something special for dinner for us. no ideas yet.

went mountain biking yesterday not for as long as hoped. went to a new place and it was incredibly muddy. It's the weirdest sensation when you are pedaling strongly but you are staying in one spot, spinning in mud. it will be a decent place to go when it's dry. some nice trails around a lake that isn't a long drive but likely better during a drier time of year..

Watched 2 good movies the last few days. Contagion and 50/50. enjoyed both of them, especially 50/50. I didn't have high expectations but it was much much better than expected. some quirky characters that seemed real and unexpectedly funny and touching in a difficult situation. it was set up as if based in seattle, but I think it was probably filmed in Vancouver, B.C. tried to watch Friends with Benefits last week but it was awful, unwatchable, don't think I made half an hour. blech.

Hi Valerie and any later posters--

This morning I did LIC (51 min.).

I have both of those films in my queue. Not sure, though, if I really want to see Contagion. How did you like that one, Valerie? My next one is Ides of March.

Well, at least Deb is in Florida the right time of the year. I could use a break from the cold weather.

Tomorrow I will try High Reps. It looks very good to me, especially the way she alternates the legs with upper body.

Out to dinner tonight for Valentine's Day.

We both liked Contagion. As we've seen with AIDS and assorted flu strains, in the modern world disease can spread quickly and mercilessly from continent to continent. it was quite believable and scientifically accurate as far as we could tell. a couple scenes maybe not for the faint of heart, but quite realistic. not silly or far fetched at all. I'd watch it again. In fact I'd like to watch it again... it was one of those fragmented evenings with a bunch of phone calls that I had to take....I lose my train of thought with interruptions.

I want to see Ides... love political movies. and of course, the "George" factor... but I think it's still on the very long wait list on netflix. I haven't checked my queue today.

I liked High Reps. I thought the pace was a little too fast. I don't remember exactly since I haven't done it in a while, but I know I had to hit pause quite a few times to get gear rearranged etc. DH was doing STS at the time and we had a lot of "stuff" all over.

I'm getting a pain on the outside of my left foot the last few days and today it's very frequent. It's on the side of my heel, not any kind of muscle or like plantar fasciitis but a sharp stabbing pain that comes on and then fades. No injuries or anything. I am hoping it gets over with soon, very unpleasant. feels very much "surface" but is very intense.

Hi Valerie and any later posters--

This morning I did High Reps (65 min.). I like this one and rather better than my other high rep weight workouts. I have an early one by Cathe where the reps are endless and she just moves systematically through body parts. It is shorter, though. I also have Jari Love's Extremely Ripped and Chiseled. I don't care much for her, although I like the older exercisers on this one.

Had a lovely dinner last night. We had the rib steak for two, and it was our beef, but the chef had aged it much longer, so I felt like we were at some great NYC steak house. A large potato croquette and carrots. Gelato for dessert.

I recorded the Westminster dog show and watched snippets of it. Not sure I want to watch the whole thing after learning that a Pekingese named Malachi won this morning. I just think it's a ridiculous looking dog. Looks like a waddling dust mop to me. What a contrast from last year--an Irish wolfhound won, I believe, a bitch named Hickory.

Valerie, my mom said that the Spanish flu of 1918 wiped out whole families in her day. The Downton Abbey episode this last Sunday had some people getting sick from this. I think it really spread quickly too.

I'm not a fan of dogs with flat faces... look ridiculous. I don't like yappy little hyperactive "purse" dogs. I like dogs who look and act like DOGS. I didn't watch any of the westminster. maybe this dog has a fabulous personality? still not for me.

glad you liked HR. Did you think it was a very fast paced workout? maybe I didn't remember correctly or wasn't prepared enough.

Did a treadmill and abs from TB last night. this morning we skied 4.5 hours. lovely on the way up, kind of squirrelly on the way down. it got warmer and the snow turned to glop.

I have heard of the 1918 flu and how devastating it was. think of the potential when someone with some new virus can cross continents and contaminate environments as they go. it's scary.

Hi Valerie and any other posters--

This morning I did Cardio Supersets (41 min.). I really like this one a lot, probably because it's easier and shorter than After Burn, but still gives me an endorphin blast.

Valerie, the 1918 flu was pretty much Europe, Russia, and North America and crossed a lot of boundaries because of WWI. It probably would be worldwide today.

Big teaching day today. Some really difficult stuff by Freud and starting some poems by Plath.

Hi Ladies,

Sorry for not posting, but I have been busy at work and by the time I get home I don’t want to get on the computer again.

I had a blast with my grandkids and was sorry to leave them so soon. I wish I could have stayed the whole week.

I will be going to my boot camp class and spinning tonight.

I went ahead and pre-ordered the new DVD’s and will start using cardio supersets and after burn next week.

Well, have to get back to work have a nice day!

Josie

Morning,
I'm back from "sometimes" sunny Florida!
sun.gif
. It was very cold and windy when I got there on Sunday, everyone was in fleece jackts, shivering. Of course the place we stayed at only had outdoor restaurants with those big heater things? The one near our table didn't work, go figure. Anyway, we were all so cold, (nothing like eating outside near a pool in 42 degree windy weather) we orderd take out and all went back to our rooms to eat. It did get warmer by Tuesday, and Wednesday was really nice.

Did the "collection" on Keegan this morning and will drop it off early this am. Keep your fingers crossed for a good PH level, this has certainly been a struggle. Going on since early August.

I took today off, need some down time before hitting the office, not that I have not been doing e-mail all week anyway.

Agree with anyone who thought the dog that won Best in show in the West Minster was just wrong. I don't think those dogs are nice looking in any way. Oh well, to each his own. Did you know you can go on their web site and just pick and choose the dogs that you want to see? It's great if you have a breed you are especially interested in and don't want to watch the whole thing. Same for "group". I could watch the Terrier Group, and not anything else.

Nothing much new here, going to the vet, then to my cousins to help her video and post something for her media class. She has to do something on YouTube I think.

Anyone have any exciting plans for the weekend?

welcome back deb. yes, in my experience Florida never fails to disappoint. At least you're done.
I like dogs a lot ( even if I don't have one currently) but not flat faced breeds. everything about them seems wrong.

Went to yoga yesterday morning, then to a meeting with our financial advisor. DH is seriously looking at retiring this year and will probably do it. he is getting burned out and has no control over things, none of the docs do.
an example... yesterday he had 3 female physicals scheduled, was assigned a male medical assistant, his regular female assistant had the day off.... obviously that wouldn't work. scramble to find a female assistant several times during the day to sit in on the 45 min exams. then a new patient (older) scheduled for a "15 minute" appointment. 15 min appts are supposed to be for brief follow ups on people without any major issues. person supposedly there for approval of orthopedic surgery. never seen the person before, and was handed a 2 inch thick file of medical records with a load of health problems. the scheduling center set up a 15 minutes appt! could not be done, patient isn't happy, nobody is happy but you can't approve someone for surgery without checking them and their history. Crazy! the scheduling is done at another clinic by people with no common sense. it's endless, nothing anyone says improves anything. He's getting tired of day after day like this with no chance of improvement.

Later I did cyclemax again. I got thru the whole thing but don't think I'm doing something right. my knees and quads take a beating and the glutes, hamstrings don't seem involved at all. I seem maxed out at 85 cadence regardless of tension. I fussed with the seat height, forward/ backward etc but seems correct. I was getting a blister on bottom of left big toe after 45 min. cycle shoes have hard soles, these are a little big. european sizing,a big difference between sizes and I thought better too big than slightly snug. I only want to do it maybe once a week.

no big plans for the weekend. when everyone else has a 3 day weekend we tend to stay home. might do yardmax, plenty of spring cleanup to do. maybe a big ride. I would not mind skiing again but need to look at forecast first

edited to add my new DW is "in" at the store, need to schedule the install. I'm running the current one now, and it's getting all gummed up with debris again, so even tho the leak seems to have resolved, it needs to be replaced. can't do it soon enough.

Last edited:
Hi Deb, Josie, and Valerie--

This morning I did AT (56 min.).

Welcome back, Deb! I couldn't agree with you more about that best in show winner. He was on Morning Joe the day after his win, and he just looked like a big fluff ball. He did seem to have a sweet personality, warming up to Mika. I liked Hickory from last year a lot.

Valerie, it sounds like the people who make the appointments should make some effort to consult with the doctors, but I guess that would be too commonsensical. Layers of bureaucracy are infinitely preferable and make the services so much more precious because of the additional expense. Sigh! After reading all of your issues with spinning, I guess it's something I won't try to do. I just thought you could hop on a bike and pedal, but it sounds like a real learning curve.

Josie, I bet you will like both After Burn and Cardio Supersets. They get the job done!

We have in-laws coming on Sunday, so we will make a special meal. I will probably go see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy tomorrow. I loved the PBS series, and wonder how they can put all of that in a 2 hour film.

Linda, the office used to have it's own front desk staff who made appts. docs had some recourse and could be asked questions about necessary time etc. maybe 2 yrs ago the management ( it's a large group with multiple locations) decided to go with "central scheduling" where appts for all the locations are set up. the people doing the scheduling have no sense, no information, can't talk to the docs they schedule for, nor can the docs give any feedback about problems. it's idiotic, not popular with anyone, but that's the way it is now. it was around the time they took away individual offices which were replaced with one big room they call the bull pen. noisy. nothing remotely private. impossible to talk to patients or family on the phone. too noisy to even think. the docs sneak off into exam rooms to grab lunch and make phone calls. DH is unhappy with it but is too close to retiring to go elsewhere.

I've been more challenged with spin than I expected. I'm a decent street rider/ mt biker. I'm not sure why I'm having difficulties. DH loves it, happy right away. he's able to get his legs to go fast and I'm unable to do that. Get Josie's opinion too. it might be smartest to take a class to see how it works before investing in a bike if you're thinking of that. I'm quite sure there's something wrong with my position but I can't tell what it is.

Good morning,

It snowed this morning, and I was surprised. What is that stuff coming down?? We have been so lucky this winter.
Agility class this morning,
grommit.gif
then going to my cousins to help her do an assignment she has for a media class. She has to do a video and put it on YouTube. It's not as easy as I thought. It has to have music etc. We spent about 3 hours on it yesterday, and it's not nearly done.

Valerie, It's like so much other stuff going on now, no one cares what the customer ( or in your DH's case, the patient) thinks, or the Dr for that matter. I don't blame him for wanting to get out. John is still a sole practitioner, and people can't believe he doesn't want an associate, or to be in a group etc. He loves what he does, and he is still in the 80's when it comes to running the office part. No computers, keeps records in files etc. He has all the latest equipment, but doesn't feel the need to put in a $20k computer system that he is dependent on someone else to make sure it is up and running. Yep, I kid him a lot for being in the "dark ages", but do understand where he is coming from. I don't think spinning would be for me either.

Garance, what's for dinner tomorrow? let me know what time to be there, LOL.

Wanted to start watching Downton Abbey last night, but needed John to hook up the dvd player to the TV and he was too tired to do it, so hopefully he will do it today and I can start the series tonight.

Off to do some HOuseMax stuff before class,

take care,

Deb, DH used to be a single practitioner, but pressures got enormous to get into a group. very hard to manage all the insurance plans, coding, etc in a single person office. you need bright, well paid people to do it, and overhead gets large. plus somekind of ITT person to keep the computer systems running. he got sucked into a supposedly 'physician directed" group. It worked reasonably well for some years. with electronic medical records it's almost mandatory to be computerized. management has gotten more "corporate directed" and a whole lot less "physician directed". plus physicians come and go like the seasons, possibly because it's hard to be happy in the current set up where you have no voice. they are getting new software in may, # 3 in about that many years, not to mention the new generations of computers every year or so. He wants to get proficient, might be "it" later this year. we have enough money put aside so we will be able to do it without being stressed. it's sad though because he is very good at his profession, and enjoys the medicine part of it just not all the crap that comes with it these days.

Yes Linda , what time is dinner? I'll bring some wine!

I forget if I mentioned I put Downton Abbey on the queue but it has a very long wait. after the AA ceremonies that usually changes the mix and the wait list on lesser known titles drops off. we've watched Shameless. It's quirky and has some pretty crude parts. the characters are interesting and funny. I don't know if there's more than one season of it.

Did 20 on the treadmill, then LBB.... not a good combo, I was pretty tired by the end but no soreness today, which is good. I was hoping all the other lower body stuff I'm been doing was keeping things in shape. no soreness today.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.