Pentagenarians & Beyond! W/B 12/28

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning!

Today I plan on doing the Legs & Shoulders from Slow & Heavy. I also plan on cleaning up my eating....we shall see!

Garance, I think you will like that AOS Providence workout. It is more like weight training. I still use the 10 lb KB for the lifts over your head. I am such a wimp! I read the book, "Marley & Me". It was good. Maybe we will rent the movie when it comes out. I too would like to lose the 10 pounds I have gained since Halloween. I know if I just cut out the sweets I can do it. I will weigh myself tomorrow morning before coffee etc and that will be my starting point.

Joan, you are probably on your way to LV...have fun!

WAving Hi to Josie, and Linny!

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie, and Joan--

This morning I did Kelly C-M's Cardio Sculpt (70 min.).

The weather is all kaflooey again--58 degrees. Last Sunday it was a blizzard and sub-zero wind chills, and now it feels like spring mud season.

DH and I are still working on the leftovers, but I did send a lot of sweets back with my sons. One of them has 4 roommates and assured me the cookies and bars would be inhaled.

I am trying to do a little work in my office, but the college decided to lower the temps and basically shut down as much as possible over the Christmas and New Year's vacation, so my office is pretty cold. This is some engineer's idea, and a lot of people are pretty unhappy--the scientists trying to keep their labs running, the various animals over in biology, people trying to get set up for our Winter Study period, and Admissions which is having conniptions over time lost, since this is the big period for applications to come in. I smuggled in a space heater, which I was not supposed to do, but apparently I am not the only scofflaw.

So, it is now Dec. 28. I wonder if they will be sending out STS mailing announcements tomorrow, since it sounded like Dec. 27 was a startup possibility. Oh well--probably not!

Man, the Cathe site is really slow today. It took me forever to get this check-in up. Wonder what's wrong in Catheland.

It's Monday!

Good Morning!

Today I did a 20 minute I-Tread, and the Chest work from S&H. I had to cut it short, but at least I did 9 sets of bench presses and flies.

It is cold here, but not as cold as it has been and no snow! I have started to compile a list of good food for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. If you have something that you like to eat, for any of these meals, that is healthy, please let me know what it is and I can add it to my choices. I am going to use this list of foods to help me lose the 10 pounds.

I saw something on the open forum about a new Beachbody series with the person that does Turbo Jam...it's a progressived weight work system with cardio etc. It's $100 and very tempting. The workouts are all in the 35-50 minute range..and guess what? they had it out in I think something like 3 months! I am worried that I will not be able to spend the hour on STS...:confused:...I don;t think we will be hearing anything about STS..just my cynical nature speaking.

Garance, did you son like the sweater?

Have a great day !

This morning I did the Horizontal Premix on Kelly C-M's Cardio Kick Stepboxing (50 min.).

For lunch, Deb, I'm pretty healthy. I do a whole wheat wrap, a couple thin slices of Buffalo Chicken (Boar's Head), and one slice of baby Swiss and throw in a couple slivers of peppers and a little bit of honey mustard. I have it in saran wrap, put it in the microwave for 30 seconds and peel back the saran when eating. I have been eating clementines for lunch, too.

I saw that discussion of CLX over at the Open Forum, too. I just cannot see buying any weight stuff when I will have 41 DVDs from Cathe. Of course if STS is not here by the end of January, I will probably buy something else.

How is Kelsey, Deb? I saw a thread over at the OF asking about ACL surgery for a 12 year old dog. Maybe you could throw in your advice, experience?

DS loved his sweater and wore it skiing on the day after Christmas.

Hi to Linny, Josie, and Joan wherever you may be.

Hi Ladies:
Sounds like everyone had a good Christmas.We had our last party saturday,DH's daughter,her boyfriend,his daughter and DGS came.So its officially over:D. DH bought an elliptical machine for me.Hopefully itwill give me the push I need.
Deb: How is Kelsey doing? Are the staples still intact? I did give my notice last tuesday morning.My boss wasn't happy about it,but understands that its closer to home.The next morning the other 11-7 gave her notice too.My boss says she feels sick.My last day is this thursday night and the other nurse's last night is friday.Looks like they will have to use agency nurses till they hire someone. My start date for new job is Jan 12th.It will be great being right down the road.
Garance:I saw Marley and Me this past weekend.I was weepy too.I felt bad for DH,we went in expecting a comedy.Movie brought back painful memories when he had to put his dog down about 5 years ago. I also saw Benjamin Button this weekend.It was a loooong movie.I liked Marley better but Brad Pitt is better eye candy;)
Well another week begins.I took down tree today and all the decorations are back in the attic.I'll check in tomorrow.
Hi to Joan and Josie!~Linny~

The Eve before New Year's Eve! ( Tuesday)

Good Morning!

No workout today, and after doing so well with my eating on Sunday, I went and had a Tim Horton's half coffee, half hot chocolate and it was down hill from there. Once I get sugar into my system, I can't stop eating it. :(..then when the alarm went off this morning I had a terrible headache so I shut it off and went back to sleep...the headache is probably from the sugar overload..sigh...I will try again today.

Garance, I feel the same way about ordering another set of DVD's, however these were tempting. I guess the pre-sale ends today so maybe shipping is not too far off. I can't believe we will need a 100 page manual to do this series..:rolleyes:...your lunch sounds good, and healthy too! I did respond to the thread over on the OD about the dog with the torn ACL. The person was right where I was in trying to decide whether to do the surgery. I voted yes, and right after my post a vet posted and encouraged her to have the surgery done if she could afford it. That made me feel good about my decision. Kelsey is getting better every day, almost too good. She wants to be more active than she is allowed to be at this point in the recovery so we have to keep her in the pen most of the time. The stitches come out Friday. At least then she won't have to wear the Cone...

Linny, I am glad you have a job so close to home now! :D. That will be nice to have more time to spend at home, rather than in the car! I read the Marley & Me book and it was sad, but I loved it.

Hi to Josie and Joan...

Have a great day!

This morning I did Kelly C-M's 30 min. weights for back, legs, and chest, followed by 2 miles with Leslie (60 min. total). I'm going to do my new Kelly C-M tomorrow--Kickbox--and Friday I plan on the AOS providence, so I will have something new in my rotation.

Wow, Linny, an elliptical! You will have to tell us how you like it. I have thought about getting one, but I had such a bad time with the Nordic Track (BORING, BORING, BORING!) I am reluctant to invest in any big pieces of equipment that depend on repetitive movement.

Deb, have you checked the Youtube clip on the bonus abs for STS? I know already that I won't be able to do some of that stuff, but there were definitely some new moves for me too. I will have to check that thread again on the ACL. I'm sure you gave her the confidence she needed to go ahead.

We are going out New Year's and again on New Year's Day, so I still have some holiday whoopee before the year really begins in earnest.

Hi to Josie and Joan!

Hi Ladies:
Count down to last day on job.Three more nights counting tonight.I'm a little concerned regarding new job though.I called yesterday for a letter of hire and the DON told me to talk with human resources.Girl in HR was shocked when I told her how much they would be paying me and that I was not working weekends.She said she had to speak with DON about this before she made out letter of hire.DH thinks I should call tomorrow and tell DON I'm concerned regarding HR's reaction.
What are you ladies planning for New Years Eve? I'll be working :(,but getting double time and a half:)
Deb: So glad to hear Kelsey is doing better everyday.I've been eating pretty badly myself.I still have too many cookies and fudge left.I think I'll bring a bunch to work tonight.
Garance:I am liking the elliptical.It has 10 preset workouts and can use iFit cards.Has a fan on console and measures heartrate.It does have port for a ipod or Mp3,which will help alot with keeping things fresh:D
We are suppose to get 3-6 inches of snow tomorrow,so ride home from work could be interesting.
I hope you ladies have a great night.~Linny~

This morning I did my new kickbox DVD from Kelly C-M--the premix that includes both routines (53 min.). Loved it because of the variety of little routines that just keep changing. I did get pretty bored with KPC and KM after awhile. This one I think will keep me going for quite awhile.

What kind of elliptical did DH get for you Linny? Did you have a learning curve or did you just hop on and DO IT? Sounds like troubled waters again at your new job. Hope it works out for you, because we know how many job changes you have been through the past couple years.

DH and I are going out tonight with friends for one of those restaurant packages and then tomorrow we will be going to a brunch party given by friends. Next Wed. we start the ballroom dancing lessons again for a little more exercise every week. Also fun!

I saw the Curious Case of Benjamin Button last night. Hmm! I thought it was just ho-hum, to be honest, and I don't get the big deal being made about the acting. Brad Pitt just walked through the part with a lot of makeup. Not much acting going on to my mind.

Snowing pretty hard here and they are saying big wind chills later. Ugh!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Hi Ladies:
Plenty of snow here,about 6+ inches.I'm so glad it didn't start till I was almost home this morning and it has just about stopped so driving won't be too bad tonight. I did call new job today and DON said they were just talking about me at morning meeting.I told her my concerns of HR being shocked about pay rate and not working weekends. She said she had heard nothing and would speak with administrator on friday to confirm we still were on the same page.The other 11-7 nurse decided to stay,since they will promise she will never be cut due to low patient census.The aides are very happy that at least one of us is staying.
Deb:I noticed you didn't check in yet today.Have you started New Years celebrating already?
Garance:I hope you have fun tonight going out to dinner with friends.Be sure to tell us what was served.I do agree about the Benjamin Button movie,I thought it was going to be better than it was. Elliptical is a Nordictrack model,I use to have one but I wore out the bearing from using it so much.
Well work tonight but double time and a half:D.
Naptime, have a Happy New Year everyone!~Linny~

This morning I did Kelly C-M's biceps, tris, and shoulders (30 min.), plus 2 miles with Leslie (60 min. total). I felt very virtuous starting the new year right.

Last night I had a lalapalooza of a dinner: started with a chef's folly: a little lobster mousse canape in a shell with thinly sliced cucumbers. Good bread with olive oil and olives. A lobster bisque followed by a coup de milieu--small scoop of lemon sorbet in white wine and a strawberry and mint leaf. My entree was a fruits de mari with mussels, shrimp, and scallops in a light tomato basil sauce and linguine (I ate all the seafood and about a third of the pasta). DH had the filet mignon with asparagus and mashed potatoes. For dessert I had the Kahlua bombe--a chocolate shell with chocolate mousse inside and kahlua flavored with a raspberry syrup all around. DH had a double espresso creme brulee. We were there for well over three hours. I had my usual Manhattan and champagne. It was all delicious!

Today we are going to a brunch party, but I plan on having very little.

Linny, I hope you can have a little belated celebration now that the new year has begun.

Hi Deb--how is our faithful leader faring in the new year?? Miss your early morning sign-in.

Happy New Year!

Good Morning & Happy New Year to All!

Well it was a quiet New Year's Eve for us..DH bought Alaskan King Crab legs and we had those with steak and a new Buffalo Wing dip that I tried for the first time. Not your usual dinner but hey, we liked it! Will be going to my brother's for dinner tonight.

Linny, I sure hope those people that hired you in the new place keep their word on salary and hours. Kind of strange that the HR person wouldn;t know about it, but I have had stranger things happen when it comes to communication between departments! Your eliptical sounds like a really good one. Mine was kind of inexpensive, no motor or anything and it is really hard to do. I wanted it because of the low impact, but find myself using the treadmill way more. If you have an MP3 player, people really like the Cardio Coach eliptical workout downloads a lot. Makes it less boring. I like the I-Train treadmill ones.

Garance, wow what a dinner, :eek: It all sounds great! I think I would have been doing the Kelly-C-M workout and Leslie as well! LOL...I am ashamed at myself and how badly I have been eating and slacking off on working out. I was looking at my 2007 & 2008 Cathe calendars yesterday, looking back to see if there were any rotations that I would want to use, and could not believe how much better I was back at this time those years. I have to have someone give me a good kick to get me started or something. EVen the fact that I will be going to Florida on a business trip in Feb and my summer clothes won;t fit, has made me change my ways..

If you haven't already seen it, go over to the STS forum...SNM put out a really nice list of exercises for the 1RM that looks to be easy at last! I printed the sheets and will work on the 5 star ones first like they suggested...

Enough self-pity.....get on track!

Hi to Josie & Joan...hoping you are having fun !

Last edited:
It's Friday...the 2nd day of 2009!

Good Morning!

Where is everyone? Today I think I will try to do some of the 1RM testing and use that as a workout. Kelsey goes to the vet at 9:00 am to hopefully have the stitches removed. She had the cone off for 2 minutes yesterday after she was outside, and DH put her in the pen without the cone...yep....she went at the stitchs ( now staples) again...did not rip any out, but she did nibble a little around the incision. I bet the hair that was shaved is now growing back and is itchy. I really hope she will be able to have the staples removed, even if we have to keep using the cone for a bit.

I hope everyone had a nice holiday!

This morning I did AOS Providence (45 min.). Okay, I kept up pretty well on this and like it better than Lauren--more variety. I will have to substitute squats for the tactical lunges and pick up something lighter than my 15 lb. kettlebell for those windmills and squats with the arm up in the air. Other than than, I did well--even the final 3 minute overhead swings.

Deb, my guess is that even after you have the staples taken out Kelsey will want to lick obsessively at the incision and you will have to keep the cone on for awhile. Just my experience with dogs who have an itch. Sounds like she is doing well, though.

Went to a very nice mid-day party yesterday. Black-eyed peas, more ham (one of DH's customers), collard greens, bread pudding, Zinfandel that was not too sweet. They are transplanted southerners as you might guess. They have a big sun room with radiant heat in the tiles and it felt so good because it was 6 degrees outside.

Hope everyone is starting out the new year feeling virtuous!

It's Saturday!

Good Morning!

Yesterday I did the first 2 pages of he 1RM Chart, from STS, tried to get all the 5 Star ones done. These were mostly from the first workout so they were all upper body exercises, It took me 53 minutes so I counted as an upper body workout. I have DOMS today!

Garance, I am glad that you like Providence. I really like the style of KB that he does. I also went out and bought a 10 lb KB because of the overhead parts that I could not do with the 15. Providence is supposed to me one of the easier ones he does, Newport and Santa Monica are supposed to be really hard. I will not be investing in those. We have kept the cone on Kelsey when we can't be there watching her, because you are right, she will pick at anything that is different or she feels is not supposed to be there. That party sure does sound like a southern celebration. It did not get so cold here yesterday, but when the wind was blowing it was very nasty.

Today I will be doing the usual house type chores, then may go over to my cousins mid morning to visit.

Any plans for the weekend ?

Hi Deb--

I guess it's just you and me for the weekend. Like you, I had my day off today and did my housecleaning.

No festive plans for the weekend. DH will probably be watching his marathon recording of the Deadliest Catch, and I have a couple Netflix DVDs to amuse me.

So Kelsey has her staples out and is still a conehead for awhile. Does she feel embarrassed with that thing around her neck? Yes, Deb, I think the AOS Providence is intermediate and it's challenging enough for me. Good for you on the STS testing. I am still languishing in blissful ignorance here, although I did print out the 8 pages of exercises with the stars.

I made the coq au vin from my new Ina Garten cookbook--a Christmas gift. It was so much easier than the other versions I have tried to do and it came out really well. I have been getting very brave about setting brandy aflame on the stove, but man, do I take a step back!

If anyone else shows up, let's hear about all of your vacations.

ttfn

Hi Ladies:
I'm here too! Yesterday was my last work and I'll be taking off a week before I start new job.The girls I work with are pretty upset and don't want me to leave.I really enjoy working with them,hope next job has great aides too.
Today I did my elliptical and used the weight loss program.I sweating up a storm.I think my legs are going to be sore tomorrow.
Deb:Thank God for those cones.My DD had a dog that had surgery and it sure came in handy.I didn't do much in the household chore dept.DH has his exstepson's kids over for the night.Tryin to keep them entertained.
Garance:That New Years dinner sounds to die for and the brunch sounds yummy too.Good for you trying something different in the kitchen.I'd be afraid I'd burn it down.We went to see Bedtime Stories today.Seemed more geared to younger kids.
Hope you have a great night~Linny~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.