Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/25

And to all a good night.

I am ready for bed. I felt a lot better today. Throat and face are just sore not intense pain.

So much for letting everyone help. DH made the mashed potatoes. They were like lumpy glue. The water boiled over and now I have a mess to clean on cooktop. I won't complain he does try.

We did have a good Christmas. I was able to stay awake all day.

Joan

good morning all.
Joan.. sometimes kitchen help fails to improve anything... glad you are feeling better. lay a wet towel over the mess and let it loosen up by itself. potato water is nasty ... a wet towel is better than chiseling it off.

We had a guest for dinner christmas eve but we went on a walk/hike first. it was so lovely out.. warm, sunny gorgeous sunset. but we lingered too long and we got back late and DH had wanted a Greek chicken dish for dinner. I've only made it once before. I thought I'd have 1-2 hours in the afternoon to get it ready, but no. I'd wanted something I vcould make ahead like lasagne but he really wanted this dish so I said OK.
It was a mad scramble in the kitchen chopping, sauteing, boiling orzo. it turned out delicious. our guest is a woman DH works with and she wants to learn to cook. I was trying to explain some of what I was doing. but I'm not sure if she knows how to chop an onion.
we watched an excellent movie she brought about one of Saddam Hussein's sons. for the life of me I can't remember the name but it was excellent.
so one day I did treadmill & spin bike & pushups for about an hour total and then our small hike. christmas day we went on a walk, nothing too hard. this morning will go to a nearby park to run. we have a course mapped out that's about 45 min up and down hill on trails. it's a good workout and different than treadmill.

DH got me the 4 cathe disks I wanted ...AT, barre( yes, I'll try it) cardio trisets, and a 4th one I can't think of.

Good morning,

Today I gave myself a huge kick in the butt, and did the first 20 minutes of the Express Slide & Glide cardio workout, and 32 mintues of STS disk #1. This is my modification of Cathe's rotation that combines LIS with STS. Hopefully with modifications I'll be able to stick with it. I used to be a "purist" and thought that if I didn't do the rotation exactly as she had outlined, ( and I never wanted to do those) I should not bother. Yesterday I took a look at it, and thought, "why not modify to fit what I can do, and the length of time I want to work out, just using her workouts as a guide", so that is what I did. So tomorrow she has the step workout from LIS, and I will sub the treadmill.

Joan, glad the pain is subsiding. I still say you should have ordered a pizza or something.

Valerie, I think you will like AT a lot, I haven't tried the barre one yet. Did you loose power yesterday? My SIL called and said about 27,000 homes in Seattle were without power, and theirs was one of them.

Off to do the normal "Sunday" things around here, already made the spelt bread, need to do the eggs for the week etc.

Take care,

We've tried ordering pizza on Christmas eve everything is closed. It wouldn't be open on Christmas either.

I'm still so tired but will need to force some exercise later after everyone leaves. I am so much weaker. I had trouble lifting 24lb turkey and have never had trouble before.

Hope everyone had a great day.

Joan

Yay Deb. strong work. I do "something" every day. some days more than others. I feel even 10-15 min of "something" (if scrunched for time) is still worth it. I will do AT first probably tomorrow.

It got quite windy around noon-1 o'clock. unexpected, not forecast. I even said to DH , "Feels like a power out coming" as I got our lunch out. would not want to open the refer door after. but the wind died quickly and we stayed "on". lots of people were out though, and one little girl was killed when a tree fell on a car not very far from here. trees falling are always a risk. and being a holiday AND an unpredicted event, probably took a while to get people back up and running. If a storm is predicted, crews know where the usual trouble spots will be and can be more ready to deal with it.

Joan (for next time) do you have a "take and bake" pizza place? Here it's Papa Murphy's. you buy an unbaked pizza on a paper tray. it's wrapped in plastic wrap, ready to bake. lasts several days in the frig before baking if you choose. bakes for 15 minutes on the included tray. it's excellent pizza, vastly better than frozen or take out "already baked" ones. it's the only kind of pizza I've bought in 20+ years. they have at least a dozen kinds and several sizes. inexpensive compared to delivered ones, which always need to go in the oven anyway. I don't know if it's just a west coast thing? I am highly highly recommending this type of pizza if ANY of you haven't tried it. stores have calzones, salad, garlic bread to go too. Around here they are usually near a Baskin robbins store, don't know if there's a connection. It's my go-to dinner for unexpected guests.

Last edited:
Hi Deb, Joan, and Valerie--

Yesterday morning I did Turbo barre (74 min.), and this morning I did LIC (51 min.).

Good for you, Deb! It sounds like you have made up your mind to tailor your workouts to your needs and wants. I've never done one of Cathe's rotations, either. I tend to exhaust one of her series for several weeks/months, though, like I am doing now with LIS.

Good to hear you are doing so much better, Joan. Around here, the restaurants with takeout that are open on Christmas Day are Chinese and Thai. Plus, there are two first class restaurants where you can get dinner. Get one of Mr. Clean's magic sponges for your stove cleanup. They really work well.

Enjoy your new workouts, Valerie. I like the three you have listed a lot. For Christmas, DH gave me an Ed Levin gold bracelet. Love it!

Good morning all,

I got up and did a 30 minute iTread this morning. Wow, am I out of shape. I guess this lousy cold doesn't help the breathing either. I am going to beat it out of me one way or another. ;)

Joan, I think you need to rest, no exercise, nothing. Your system is telling you to slow down and take a break. Oh, and like Garance mentioned, Chinese places are all open on Christmas and New Years. Remember the movie, "A Christmas Story"?

Valerie, you are lucky you didn't lose power. I can count on one hand the number of times we have lost power in this house, for any length of time, maybe twice? Once in a great while, the lights will flicker in a storm, but they always stay on. It's amazing with the old electrical wiring we have. This house was built in 1924. I think it still has all the original wiring.

Garance, I have to google that bracelet to see what it looks like. **Googles on another session* oh, very pretty! John gave me 3 new beads for my Pandora bracelet. So easy for him to get me something now that I have that. One was a little dog in a dog house, and another was a coffe cup and saucer! does he know me or what? :D

Hey, it's only a 4 day week and then another 3 day weekend! Yay!

Hi to Josie & Cathy,

Take care,

Deb, we are used to power outs. just a fact of life around here. the more "out in the county" you are, the more likely because of falling trees. the power companies trim the tree branches along power lines but sometimes the whole tree comes down or a tree falls in a different direction than expected. we had wind gusts of 60 mph the other day so that's enough to cause problems. we (personally) have had an excellent year so far with a couple flickers but no "outs". If it's been wet... so the soil is soft and then gets windy trees WILL come down. there's not much between us and the pacific so sometimes predictions aren't accurate. it's not like the weather has to pass thru another communities first so there's might not be a warning. whoops gotta get DH's breakfast. more later.

We did the plan yesterday and did a trail run in a nearby park. really lovely out. we did 45 min uphill and downhill thru forest above salt water. on the way home I'd researched where snowy owls had been spotted nearby so we went out looking for them. ( this was another mile or two of walking) went to 2 locations and saw 4-5 of them. so gorgeous. this morning the newspaper front page was a picture of a snowy. they are striking and easy to see. very calm they just perch and stare back at you. some birds are hard to view, these are easy if they're around. this is what's called an "irruption year". many migrate down from the arctic. I don't know if any of you live where you could see them but it's worth taking some time to go look. I'm going to try to put in a link to the picture from the paper. there are two pics plus the story. If you want to look at it do it today ..tuesday. I don't know how long the link will be good.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017100661_snowies27m.html

Last edited:

This morning I did the upper body split on TBT (56 min.).

Deb, I love Christmas Story, and yes, when the dogs eat the turkey, they go to the Chinese restaurant and the waiters sing to them--"far la la far la la." Hilarious. On TBS, they show the film continuously for 24 hours. When my boys were little, they would just watch it over and over and laugh. It really never gets old. What I really love about my bracelet is that it just slides open and shut--no difficult clasps. It's his "signature" design in 14 karat. Yep, sounds like John knows his lady.

Valerie, I will ask my friend who does the bird count every year before Christmas if she saw any of the snowy owls. We have a lot of barred owls, named for the bars of dark feathers on their wings. We have a vernal pond on our land, and every spring after the first rain, we check for the migration of mole salamanders, and the emerging fairy shrimp. Fascinating creatures.

When are you off to Vegas, Joan?

picklewave.gif
Good morning!

I just finished 20 minutes of Athletic training, the cardio portion, and 20 minutes of STS Legs. Feels good to be moving again.

Valerie, did you try any of the new workouts yet? Those owls are beautiful. I have never seen an owl. I guess that comes with city living, and the area we are in.

Garance, I got the new K-C-M workouts yesterday, didn't open the package yet. I am tempted to try them, maybe next week. I kind of like what I am doing now so I don't want to mess it up. They will keep. The funny thing about the movie, is that the house and neighborhood remind me so much of the street and houses where I grew up. I love the part when he is down in the basement, trying to fix the furnace.

Joan, how are you doing?

Well off for more coffee, ( what else is new?) our new coffee maker makes the best coffee.

Take care,

Good morning,

I can't believe how much better I feel. I have had a headache for the last two days. Hope it's not withdrawal from the medicine. One of the side effects was headaches but I thought that would be while you were taking it.

We are leaving tomorrow for vacation. We won't be back until lat on Jan. 4. My brother and sil will stay with my mother. I'm spending today making sure she has food, pills etc.

Joan

Deb, I tried part of AT. I did express so only 22 min but I still flubbed a fair number of the moves. I went back and played with them some more by going to the chapters. I am such a clod with footwork like that. even the arms I do it opposite of what they do. and they are going so fast that I'm not sure it matters much, as long as you're moving rapidly. so I ended up working that section at least another time because I was sure that's the part I'd have trouble with. Cathe even calls the footwork "easy" but not for me. can't dance either. I have a high step so it's a little crowded but workable.

Glad you looked... owls are fascinating birds. we've seen a lot of them but it takes some effort, being up early am or out in the evening when it's just getting dark. we've found them during the day, some are diurnal. some roost during the day and if you're looking carefully you can find them. Lynda, we have barred owls and great horned owls around where I live ... probably others too... often you hear them and don't see them. Possibly spotted owls,.short eared owls.
the snowies are the easiest to find because they stand out against the background. they tend to be near salt water here, but have been seen in city parks or on top of buildings, in airports etc. they show up in force every 5 years or so and word gets out where they can be seen.

Joan good news on getting through the worst of it. Have a good trip to Vegas while you recover.

This morning I did After Burn (54 min.).

Deb, sounds like you are getting back into the exercise groove. Do you remember that hideous lamp in Christmas Story? Or that horrible pink bunny outfit poor Ralphie gets from his aunt? More new dvds? I'm still enjoying my Cathes and haven't even looked at any new ones. I will have to check them out at Collage and look at some clips.

Joan, have a great trip! I'm sure it is a relief to be getting better.

Valerie, I'm sure you will eventually get the steps on AT because they really are very straightforward and repeated often enough. The toning work is really pretty good on this one too.

Good morning!

This morning I did 30 minutes of STS #2, Back & Biceps.
dumbbells.gif
weights.gif

Joan, so glad you are feeling better. You deserve a nice vacation, relax!

Valerie, the step work in AT gets easier the more you do it. I use only one riser, and it is very challenging, not hard footwork wise, but cardio wise.

Garance, absolutely remember the lamp. As a matter of fact, when I was out to dinner with a clien, she told me that her husband is such a fan of the movie, he bought one of those lamps for their den. Can you imagine? I told her about the house that was used in the movie, I think it's in Ohio, a fan bought it and it is now a tourist attraction. She said she knows if she mentions that to her husband he will want to go there as a vacation.

Hi to Josie & Cathy, hope you had a good holiday,

Off for more sustenance...
sFun_coffeeaddict.gif

I should never say how good I feel. I woke up this morning and upper lip is numb. It feels like when dentist gives you a shot. There is still the tingling as if the shot was just wearing off. It will be very annoying if it stays like this.

Joan

Joan, no ideas about lip numbness . I'd call your doc before you leave. I think that's the same nerve where the shingles has been active. is it just one half of your lip on the same side as the shingles? call your doc to check.

I used 2 risers and was OK with the cardio component, just got confused with my feet especially when they go fast. there are reasons I never bought a full size step. I did well enough to have my heart rate up there. I am always "off", going up when they go down, arms out of sync etc.

good work Deb, just do something every day and you'll be kicking butt in no time.

We chopped wood yesterday. we brought down a big tree and are splitting for firewood. did not bother my shoulder though I have a few other sore spots. I think I 'll do the whole AT one today. if I flub the footwork I'll just keep going.

Hi Deb, Valerie, and any other posters--

This morning I did Athletic Training (56 min.). I simply don't see how Cathe and crew do this on an 8 inch step, and then go up to 10 inches. I do 6 inches and am panting by the time she starts using the weights and moves up another 2 inches.

Deb, how funny about the lamp. No way I would let something like that in my house, no matter how much I loved the film. I'm thinking another month of all LIS, and then I should try to find some more workouts to mingle in or else alternate with STS. I looked at the clips at Collage on the KCMs. I have one of her Stepboxing dvds and a lot of her weight work, so I don't know if I want more. I did see a Jazzercise "burlesque" dancy one that sort of appealed to me. Probably appeal to dh as well--hah! Looked like a lot of hip swiveling and booty work.

Joan, are you trying to leave today for your vacation? Not sure what I would do if I had a numb upper lip that felt like novocaine.

Good luck on AT, Valerie. I guess even basic moves are daunting if you don't do much step.

Did AT this morning. a couple short breaks for adjustments. because I am having foot problems, I used the high step with one riser... good enough. think that's 6 inches? I did better this time. I didn't do the pushups ....the high step is too narrow so did knee push ups on the floor. about 80 all together.
I hadn't previewed the whole disk so had a couple breaks for moving things around. a good workout. I have trouble doing dips on the high step also because it's narrow. I used a bench where my hands can be a little further apart. I like this one... I'll get the foot thing in a couple more times. I did better today. using only one riser helped decrease the intensity a little... when I'm really out of breath, I can't think well and get my feet in the right place. I had the same trouble with KPC when I first did it but eventually it will work out.

Good morning all,

I worked until 8:00 last night, and of course so wound up when I got home I could not get to sleep until after midnight, up at 5:00. no workout today.

Valerie, Garance, or any others, someone from the board sent me the worksheets for Afterburn and Trie-sets if you want them. I can e-mail them to you.

Going to get ready for another day of fun! Will check back later.

Take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.