Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/18

fox2star

Cathlete
Morning all,

I did Athletic Training this morning and I think I killed myself. Yowza! I am so out of shape. I had to take away a riser, and use the next weight down from whatever Cathe was using. It took me 62 minutes, instead of the 56 running time because I paused and got water, took time to breathe. I guess if I stick with it, it will get easier, right?

Bringing this over from yesterday's thread:

Valerie, I have an iPod Touch. Love it for exercising, I have a lot of treadmill workouts from Cardio Coach and iTrain.com. I really don't get into the aps that much, and I don't use it for music at all. I have a great source for small ear buds, because the ones that came with it always popped out of my ears. I think we discussed this a while ago. Let me know if you want to get a different pair. They are not expensive at all. Anyway, I got some free aps for poker, which I like to play on an airplane or when very bored. You can also download books from Amazon with the free Kindle ap, ( if you don't already have a Kindle) and here in NY you can get books from the library on there too. Those are the aps I have.

Off to check on the spelt bread, and start some rice for Keegan for the week. Typical Sunday for me.

Deb, that sounds like you did fine. there are plenty of times I downgrade weights and risers, and an extra 6 minutes is nothing. You did it. pat yourself on the back. completing any Cathe workout means you are NOT in bad shape.

DH will have the ipod at work most of the time so not sure I'll use it much on my own. I don't like ear buds. my ear canals are small. I'm never comfortable and music/sounds right in my ears.... drives me crazy. some sort of bone conduction sets up. If I use it for music we'll need some kind of speaker. I think there are apps for bird identification and bird calls. It's so tiny we could take it on a hike instead of a guide book.
Mostly, I was burned out friday after the marathon phone session.... that I put it out of my mind for a while. I'm proud of myself for being focused. I was sure the problem had something to do with the failure of the password to accept. DH was going off in another direction thinking it had something to do with the downloaded software program. (We don't do things the same way) and then he got angry at me for spending $29 for tech service from Cisco. I think it was money well spent.
I'll be the first to admit I wasn't sure what the problem was. I'd already asked our ISP about the password and knew I had it correct. so that's where I focused.

First christmas dinner done. the food was fairly awful. I had the shrimp salad and gave the shrimp to my SIL. used my salad dressing from home so it was Ok. had some decent snacks before we got to the assisted living so a bowl of lettuce for dinner wasn't too bad. it's a very nice dining room. DH had the turkey a la king ... it was awful. I don't know why their food is so wretched.

Hi Deb and Valerie and any later posters--

This morning I did Turbo Barre (74 min.).

Deb, good for you on Athletic Training! I cannot do this one on any higher than a 6 inch step--one riser. This is one of my favorites because it does everything--cardio followed by conditioning, and I like some of the conditioning stuff with the tubing and little band. Really cold here--or at least it feels that way because it's been so mild. But the sun is out.

Made Josie's lemon cookies. They are really yummy. Tonight it's another comfort meal: Biscuit and Gravy with a sausage (from dh's pork); Bacon, egg, grits served with red-eye gravy (bacon from dh's pork); New Orleans style beignets with powdered sugar. I will skip the beignet.

Can't help you with your ipod, Valerie. I don't have one, although dh does and listens to podcasts like Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, and some sportscaster named Tony Kornheiser. Really enjoys it.

Good morning,

Nothing new here. Finished shopping yesterday. Not a good night's sleep, then Kylee woke up to to outside, so I decided to stay up. Too tired to do anything. Took Fosamax so I need to wait 30 minutes to drink any coffee.
icon_eek.gif

Valerie, good thing you had some snacks from home, a bowl of lettuce does not sound too filling for dinner. I bet there are all kinds of aps for hiking, bird calls etc. How would that work? Would you try to identify a bird by selecting it from the ap and listening to it? that would be really something.

Garance, another great comfort meal. This one sounds like breakfast, instead of dinner. John loves "Wait, Wait, Don't tell Me" So your DH listens to an iPod while working?

Well another week starting. I did not take any time off this week, will only have Monday off next week.

Off to start the coffee.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Slide and Glide (52 min.). I do a lot of modifications on the burpees and other exercises on this one.

Deb, the meal was actually called "breakfast for dinner." I decided it was too rich, so I went with the Cuban panini, which was delicious, and had a little slaw on the side. Perfect size meal for me, and only $13. Dh did get the comfort meal, and loved it. He is a sucker for biscuits and gravy, and had it all the time when he was in Kentucky. When we went to Yellowstone and stayed in the park accommodations he would order biscuits and gravy for breakfast every morning. Yep, during his morning chores, he walks around listenting to his ipod.

I am currently waiting for my novocaine to wear off so I can have some lunch. I'm starving. Another crown.

Well to each his own... I'd never ever order biscuits and gravy. not a gravy fan... I'd call that cruel and unusual punishment. I'm not sure what a beignet is... a doughnut of some sort?

I've gotten some ideas for other additions to his ipod but haven't downloaded anything yet. I ordered him a case and a cover for the screen. so small and slippery it will go flying for sure without something on it.

Didn't do much yesterday and so far not anything today except a lot of up and down stairs. DH is working in the yard. I was going to but I'm still being bothered by my rt shoulder. yesterday I started a trial of a drug ( voltaren) that usually helps if I have sore spots. I haven't used it in years, but this is just not getting better . It was better after 1 pill. today after the second pill I can't tell anything was wrong. DH says it's tendonitis. It was bothering me especially at night and with a lot of rt arm movements so I'm reluctant to do much upper body stuff except the pushups which don't bother it.

Good luck with the crown... dental work is so difficult. I've had little need for much compared to DH, who we believe probably paid a good portion of our current dentist's building over the years. I've got good dental genetics so far!

I wrote a nice long post yesterday but must not have hit the submit reply.

Saturday was our Christmas party so the week was spent cleaning and cooking. Dh babysat kids Thursday and dil parents had them Friday. I tried to make new food I didn't think I would love but I still ate too much.

coffee.gif

What is it about 3:00 am that my dogs like? It's not even Kylee anymore, it's Keegan that needs to go out at this time. Ugh. Then of course, I can't get back to sleep, so I am up for the duration.

Garance, I have not even viewed the Slide & Glide workout yet, because I know with the disks she will be doing a lot of things I can't do, like the burpees.

Joan, did you get the new series? I don't remember if you posted that you did or not.

Valerie, it's surprising that push ups don't bother your shoulder. I get twinges all the time while doing push ups, even on my knees. My shoulders are very weak. They used to "pop" out with the slightest pressure, and boy, did that hurt. After doing a lot of upper body work, they stopped doing that, so I guess building whatever muscle I did helped that situation. John likes biscuits & gravy too, I think it's a southern thing with him. His Mom was from Louisanna so she made that type of food when he was young. I have never had it, and would not order it either, even though I like biscuits, and I like gravy, they don't seem like a meal to me when put together.

Off for more coffee, not sure if I will be able to stay awake today. **yawns**

Deb, I think you'll be surprised on S&G. It's hard but not THAT hard IMO. the burpees have lots of places to modify and it's kind of Ok to face the ground for a while and not watch Cathe & crew performing flawlessly.

DH says I have tendonitis in the shoulder. I gave it long enough to get better so drugs to the rescue. bothered me a lot at night when sleeping on it. that made me not want to exercise it during the day. voltaren is an old drug, a NSAID... non steroidal anti inflammatory. a super Advil that I take once a day. It's always worked well for me without any side effects. I plan on 2 weeks. I will re start some upper body stuff shortly.

Did a short stint on the new bike... you can get on and be sweating in minutes... and then 30 on the treadmill yesterday. not a killer but faster than I used to go so reasonable. we were pretty active otherwise.

Maybe that's it, I never had anything like biscuits and gravy... maybe it tastes good but it doesn't sound good to me. little "southern" exposure here... I remember getting grits for the first time and wondering why anyone would eat anything that tasted and looked like that. I had a room mate who tested things on us "northerners" . hush puppies were another failure.

off to yoga, more later.

I did get the new series but haven't done much.

Just back from the doctor. I have shingles. I thought I was just getting a cold sore (even though I have never had one)but when it went from above my lip to my nose and now one on my forehead it's not a cold sore. FYI if a blister HURTS it is probably shingles. I take 4 capsules 5 times a day.

This morning I did After Burn (54 min.). I love this workout and I am definitely improving, doing a few of the burpees and a few of the walking planks and a lot of mountain climbers, but slow.

Deb, I agree with Valerie about S & G. I actually like a lot of the upright sliding exercises on the disks. It's just the burpees I hate, so I usually just continue with the jumping jacks or do lunges. You should know that the cardio on this one is over at 25 min. and then she does some neat conditioning stuff with disks.

Valerie, beignets are just fried dough dipped in powdered sugar. It reminds me of stuff I would get on the fairway at the state fair in Minnesota.

Joan, I am so sorry for you on the shingles. My fil has been having bouts of this for some time now, and I know how painful it can be. If your grandkids have not been vaccinated for chicken pox, you should definitely stay away from them because your blisters represent an active virus--or at least that is what I have heard. Maybe Valerie, married to a doctor, can confirm or tell me that's nonsense. I did get my shingles shot last year, which I am really happy about.

No you are correct. Doctor said to make sure vaccinations are up to date. My throat is very sore and they believe that is viral also. Maybe the pills will help that . At least dh took today off and I don't have them for the rest of the year. Of course I do have to make Christmas dinner.

If we caught it in time this will be the one and only time. If not even when this clears up I can have relapses. I was told in the pharmacy by another customer that she couldn't take shingle vaccination because her husband had crohn's. We all agreed I should talk to doctor before I got it because we didn't know why. Since I was getting a flu shot they said I would have to wait 4 months to get shingles shot. Flu shot was in Oct.
timing is everything.

Joan, sorry to say I've also had shingles...in my 20's... it was fairly unpleasant. Way before all the new antiviral meds ... acyclovir is one I can think of... which are supposed to work pretty well. ( good luck with those) I was off work for a couple weeks because it was too painful to have clothing rubbing on the rash. I had it on my waistline from spine around one side. it usually is on only one side. It's a big reason to immunized against chicken pox when you're young. chicken pox is horrid, afterward the virus hides in the base of nerves, and can reactivate later in life= shingles.
I don't understand so many young people not getting their kids immunized. I believe the blisters are active virus so you would be contagious to anyone who's not been vaccinated. I don't know what age children get the vaccine so I think babies would be susceptible. ( did not check with DH about any of this but pretty sure this is right)

shingles vaccine ... got mine in june. I forget the age >60 or > 62 I think. supposed to work even if you've already had shingles, so after you're better, ask. When i asked my doctor she wasn't sure if it was recommended if you've had shingles but she checked up and told me yes. I imagine they will suggest it. I don't know about the connection to crohn's. I'm guessing it might have to do with some treatments for crohn's that might lower your immune response .

I had no reaction at all to the vaccine other than a slight sore spot for a couple days.

S&G is no where near as long or intense as Afterburn. the conditioning drills after the cardio are fun.

I haven't had doughnuts since I left the midwest... we used to eat a lot of "bakery" back there. doughnuts, crullers, long johns, big flat round coffee cakes covered with nuts and frosting. used to love that stuff.

The blisters are on only one side of my face. I probably will scare little children if I go out. Of course I will probably not go out. I wonder who will buy the groceries on Friday, make pies on Saturday and cook Christmas dinner for 15 people?

My blisters hurt even without rubbing against them. My throat, ear and my teeth also hurt. I was able to walk .4 miles yesterday and was just too tired to do more.

DS showed up last night. Dil has kicked him out for Christmas. Don't have the whole story yet. I'm sure glad I don't have any stress in my life or it would make all my medical problems worse.:rolleyes:

Joan

shingles is ( i believe) always on only one side. I'm not sure why but be happy for small things. both sides would be worse. hope your son works things out. this is such a stressful time, everyone needs to take a time out.

off to get our camper heating system modified for a portable heater. more later.

This morning I did Low Impact Challenge (50 min.).

Joan, if I were you, I would simply cancel Christmas dinner for 15. You are sick, and I don't see why that isn't a good excuse. The only other option would be to hire a caterer to drop off food the day before and serve it on Christmas Day with disposable dinnerware or tell people to do the table setting and clean up. We catered a Christmas party a couple years ago, and I cannot tell you how lovely it was for me, and I wasn't sick. Your dil sounds like a witch. Your sarcasm is well earned.

Okay, so here's my menu for Christmas day: prime rib roast, mushrooms in sherry cream sauce, mashed potatoes, a green salad. For dessert: ice cream with my chocolate sauce and assorted bars and cookies, also by me. Prosecco and/or merlot with the meal. We are going out to dinner with friends for Christmas Eve.

What are other people's holiday plans?

Joan, agree with Lynda... call in sick for the dinner. UNLESS keeping busy cooking keeps your mind off the discomfort. when I had it, I felt fine except for where the waistline of garments rubbed and caused intense discomfort. so everything was OK but I couldn't get dressed! How about pizza and a salad bar instead of roasts, mashed potatoes etc? Everyone would understand and it might be fun. I personally like pizza better than anything else anyway. but don't be a martyr here. if you don't feel well enough, cancel.

If your son is staying with you (having been kicked out) give him the shopping list, have him peel potatoes, vacuum, whatever he can do that helps. his wife can sit alone at home and stew by herself. maybe she'll feel guilty and call a truce. or maybe no one cares what she does anymore...

We're having a friend over christmas eve ( 5-6 mon pregnant) whose husband just left on the Lincoln aircraft carrier. we'll go on a short hike and make something here for dinner. christmas day I think we'll on our own unless something pops up.

I did some bike and treadmill yesterday. today we did a 4 hour hike about 6 miles while we had a heater installed in our camper. no yoga for a while, the studio closes for 2 weeks at this time.

I am now freaking out. The doctor told me yesterday that if my eye got worse to go to the emergency room. Tonight the blisters are 1/2 inch closer to my eyes. They were half way up my nose and now they are going sideways and then up towards my eye.

The doctor's office called today to see how I was. I said I was the same as Tuesday (new blisters were not visible yet). Nurse said sometimes it gets worse before it gets better.

Joan

Just got back from the emergency room. They checked my cornea and it is ok. If the blisters were on my forehead they would more likely damage the eye. That's the good news. The bad news is that the pain I feel in my eye means I will probably get blisters on my lower eyelid in the next day or so. This doctor also said it will probably get worse before it gets better. Line will probably fill in between nose and just above my glasses at the hairline(near ear).

Usually the blisters follow only one of the nerves in the face. I guess that is good news.

Good morning,
sad4.gif

Great night, hacking, coughing, etc. You get the picture. Great holiday fun.
Still no coffee maker, the one we want, which is the upgrade of the one we had, is no where to be found in this city. I really don't want to order it over the internet, because if there is something wrong with it, it will be a pain to return.

Valerie, how is the shoulder after taking the meds for a couple of days? I will seriously try S&G when this cold is better.

Garance, your menu sounds wonderful, what time should I be there? :)

Joan, so sorry for what you are going through. I didn't know there was a shingle vaccine. I think you need to cancel Christmas, just have you, your DH and son. If you can get grandkids fine, but no DIL. You need to rest and have a stress free few days! I agree with Valerie, let your son and DH figure out what to eat and handle it. keep us posting on how you are doing.

Off to work, I have to stop and get a large coffee, not having a coffee maker is driving me crazy.

Take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.