Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 11/27

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

I just finished Athletic Training. WOW :eek:. It took me 64 minutes because I had to pause and drink water a few times, walk around and let my heart rate down a bit. I used the step with no risers. I like this one a lot. Nothing really complicated, but very effective. I burned 392 calories according to my HRM. I am going to try to do the upper and lower pre-mixes from this one 2 other days this week.

Valerie, I agree with Garance, on Athletic Training, They use the step, but no choreography at all, just for squats off the side and some minor knee repeaters. Very easy moves, but hard, if you know what I mean.

Garance, it was 58 when we got up this morning, very warm here too. The strangest November we have had in a long time. We saw the play, "God of Carnage" yesterday, have you heard of it?

Joan, what exactly do you ask for at the restaurant that the nice waitress used to do for you? I am not intimidated to ask for special things, but John hates when I do it. He rolls his eyes and says it reminds him of Meg Ryan in that movie, (?), I forget the name now. She always asked for special things or for things to be changed from how they were listed on the menu.

Time to go make my oatmeal with almond milk. will check back later to see who is around...

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Turbo Barre (74 min.).

Deb, I love Athletic Training too. It's a real calorie burner, and my heartrate doesn't really come down until those triceps on my back. I like the conditioning stuff, too. God of Carnage is coming out as a film with Jodi Foster and Kate Winslet as the moms. I'm looking forward to it. I know that James Gandolfini was in the Broadway version of it. It's beautiful again here today. Had to take Max out in this 60 degree weather for another walk. I love When Harry Met Sally. My favorite line is the woman's in the restaurant after Sally fakes orgasm: "I'll have what she's having." (Or something like that.)

I thought Melancholia was absolutely brilliant, but I cannot recommend it to anyone who is not interested in either depression or human behavior at the edge of doom. It is not a jolly film, but none of Lars Von Trier's films is. I was enthralled.

Joan, if you feel that strongly about your favorite waitress, maybe you should talk to the owner/manager and let him/her know what you think.

Good morning,

Today I did a 30 minute I-Tread.

Garance, It would be interesting to see how they make that play into a movie, It was only 90 minutes long, all taking place on one set, the living room of one of the couples. There wasn't even an intermission.

I am running a little late today. Hope everyone had a good weekend. It's back to work for me...

Back and pretty tired. there's nothing like houseguests to wear you out. they got here friday and just left an hour or so ago.
we tried to take them on short walks and we were stunned... stunned to see what awful condition they are both in. Dh's sister & her husband.....younger than us but I tell you I felt like 18 again compared to them. I am not trying to brag about myself here, I just don't know how to describe what poor shape they are in except compared to DH and myself.
we went on a short walk that had a little section of hill and we were literally pushing and pulling them , especially SIL, to get her up the hill. I saw what trouble she was having and got her arm and hung on to her so she wouldn't slide backward. I pushed from the back. it was like shoving a section of log uphill. there's only a short section of hill and we never imagined it would be a problem for them. WOW. they are very resistant to changing their routine, and claim to be walking 2 miles on the treadmill daily. they could barely get on and off the exercise bike, and the elliptical. getting off the sofa seemed to require a rocking back and forth start, like I remember my grandmother doing when she was 80. they are planning on going on a long camping trip, car camping sleeping in the back of their truck/canopy. yipes. the first time they try to climb out of the back in the dark someone will fall and break their neck. but they really didn't listen to our suggestions, we who have camped out at all levels and conditions for a long time. oh well.

I think I'll ask for those 3 disks for my present. I haven't done anything for 2 days but have new motivation. we will do something today, first day it's not raining buckets. I did S&G on friday. I like it, a little less intense than Afterburn but definitely a workout.

I loved Harry/Sally! I was trying to remember who had the "I'll have what she's having" line Olympia dukakis? can't remember.

This morning I did Cardio Supersets (41 min.).

Deb, I wish you would test the calorie burn on this one and see how close it comes to AT. I really think this is another calorie burner, and some of the "supersets" are more user friendly than After Burn. I'm loving this series a lot.

It's incredibly warm here for November. Really strange.

Valerie, that sounds so disheartening. Do they feel like they are out of shape, or are they comfortable with their level of fitness? I hardly mention that I work out to people--even friends at work--because a lot of people are very touchy about this. My one sil is a Cathe nut, and we always share our excitement over new workouts from her, so at the wedding rehearsal dinner we were exclaiming over when-oh-when would they ship, and another guest just laughed at us and said something about us being exercise "junkies." Oh--the woman in When Harry Met Sally who delivers that line was the director, Rob Reiner's, mom.

ttfn

Hi Ladies,

I'm back from vacation and it has been slow around here, so not to much of a pile up on my desk. I was busy with my grandkids and shopping and cooking for the holiday, so I did not work out until Saturday (spinning) and Sunday a 35 mile ride. The weather here is in the 80's until Wednesday and then it is going down to the mid 60's.

Our ride took us through Santa Monica, Venice Beach, and Marina Del Rey to Hermosa Beach.
That was the turnaround. It was a beautiful ride and it was nice to finally get back on the saddle ;)

Ok ladies, I'm getting tempted to buy some of the new DVD's. Garance and Valerie, which ones do you recommend? Which ones do you think would give me a good workout to train for my cycling?

I noticed that the Bar Method classes have strengthened my back and core and felt very comfortable ridding this weekend.

Hi to Deb, Joan and Cathy

Josie

they know they're out of shape but find all kinds of excuses to not change anything. they used to own a small commercial nursery and got in a lot of work...walking, planting, watering, loading. they are getting fat and lazy since retirement but I was still stunned at how poorly they were able to do simple things. getting on the stationary bike... lifting a leg over the low center bar was a major undertaking. but they don't want to try anything new... they both need core work, and I was trying to show them Coremax since it can be modified so easily and needs only a little gear, but no luck.

We are the only ones in our families who do anything physical so we don't have to mention it. they know. we just wish they'd take a little advice because this is getting to be a potentially serious problem. DH being a physician gets asked a lot of health related questions and the answer is eat less, exercise more. BIL is borderline diabetic now. SIL not yet but she can barely walk for unclear reasons.

Josie, I only bought Afterburn, Slide & Glide, and the sliding disks. WAY better than paper plates. I like both and highly recommend them. I wish I'd bought the whole series. I bought the spin one from Deb but haven't bought a spin bike yet. That ride sounds lovely. I could use some warm sunshine!

I got on the treadmill and did most of my run at 1/2 mph faster than usual so the new workouts have boosted my fitness level already.

Good morning,
Well didn't get home from class until 9:00, went to bed by 9:30 but could not get to sleep. So of course I turned off the "workout" alarm and stayed in bed until 5:00. No workout today. Oh well, there's always tomorrow. Kylee is doing really well in class.
grommit.gif

Valerie, your in-laws sound like they will be hospitalized for something in the near future. It's odd that people that had such a demanding business, ( physically), could just stop any activity and become so sedentary.

Garance, I will try to do the full workout of Cardio Supersets this week and let you know what the calorie burn is. Maybe tomorrow instead of the treadmill.

Josie, so far, Athletic training is my favorite, but I have not done them all yet so my input is not worth much. I think Garance had done most, if not all of them. The disks are definitely worth whatever they cost. I think there have been some specials going on with them. Your ride sounds wonderful!

Off for more caffine! Take care,

Deb, both have health issues before. BIL broke his neck (long ago) so has to be careful because of some potential for further injury. he loves to fish, goes almost every day. his issue is too many calories, a lot of them Budweiser. he's gained a lot since closing the business about 2 yrs ago. SIL went to an orthopedic surgeon about her leg issues and he told her to lose weight and get off her butt. didn't do any scans. both BIL and SIL have an ATTITUDE... can be pretty angry/belligerent and it makes people not want to deal with them. they always think people are just trying to get their money. now, a surgeon doesn't "make money" unless he does a procedure and maybe he didn't want to deal with her, period. I can see how that would happen. SIL sews now. she makes baby clothes/accessories, sells them on consignment. so she sits.... and sits some more.

They have a treadmill and claim 2 miles a day so don't "get" why they are so out of shape. we were trying to get them interested in an elliptical or a stationary bike to get some other different activity. Cathe is WAY out of their league. they both need to lose weight. big bellies that get in the way. but if you can't move well, it would be hard. I showed them the stability ball and showed SIL some easier moves where you don't need to lie on the floor. they have trouble getting up!

and now I'll go join Deb in a search for caffeine and off to yoga.

I'm doing coremax 2 regularly and am getting pikes . I got lazy and didn't do core regularly but am back at it along with the knee push ups.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy and Valerie--

This morning I did Athletic Training (56 min.).

Josie, if I had to pick two, I would choose Athletic Training and Turbo Barre, which is, by far, my favorite barre workout. My next two faves are After Burn and Cardio Supersets. I like Low Impact Challenge because it's easy for me, but it's pretty conventional step, and I do the upper body split on Total Body Trisets, and I like it all right, but I get a little irritated with all the stuff on the stability ball and the soundtrack is somewhat grating. Slide and Glide is just okay for me because there are too many burpees. I was bored with the two yoga workouts. But the whole series is really special IMO.

This weather is very strange--60s again and it feels positively balmy.

Valerie, your bil and sil sound like they have all kinds of defense mechanisms to protect them from dealing forthrightly with their health issues. This makes it very hard to be helpful without being perceived as somehow attacking them.

Deb, I think you will like Cardio Supersets. I don't do the bonus step routine with it, so it's short and sweet (41 min.).

Lynda that's spot on. most people spend more time figuring out why they "can't" than why they "can". they bring medical records and ask DH questions, so that opens the door to discuss the exercise issue. they always say they're trying to lose weight. I've learned to say "this is what we do" and if they reject it, to drop the issue. I showed her crunches on the stability ball because she complained about how hard it was to get up after doing them on the floor, and also ball roll outs and roll ins. I did NOT do pikes in front of her though. no reason to make her feel even worse. she had some interest in the ball because of the getting up issue. so we'll see where it goes... probably nowhere. this is "leading a horse to water" business. we'll help and give advice but they need take the initiative at some point.

Terrific yoga class this morning. will do something later today after I get the shopping done. tomorrow we hope to xc ski somewhere. week days better than weekends.

howdy , howdy. hope all had a great Thanksgiving. i ate WAY TOOO MUCH of course. if you're on facebook with me, you can look at some of our thanksgiving pics.:)

Cathy glad to see you back. Have you moved yet?

I'm not in good enough shape to be the posterboy for exercise but at least I move easily and am stronger than most women my age. After my brother was forced to retire from city building inspector I thought he would try harder to lose weight (I think he was over 300lb), just so he could get another job. I don't believe anyone would hire him for that job after seeing him. No such luck. You are right that you can't make anyone exercise. I think a lot of people who work hard probably didn't play hard so when they retire they don't have things like hiking and biking to fall back on.

My other brother retired two years ago and was always thin. He never could figure out why I wasn't thin because he ate twice what I did. After he retired he gained at least 20lb in the year because he went from a very active job to nothing.

At least my husband started with my trainer at the gym after I had to quit to babysit. He has progressed to a different trainer. I know he would not do it on his own.

The waitress we liked was just a good waitress. Anyone would take my special order for grilled chicken and steamed veg. Because she remembered us from week to week(the others don't bother to remember)
I could ask her to never bring bread to the table . I also had her make my chicken a standing order and not ask me what I wanted. Yes I know that is strange but even if I planned to eat the chicken at least 1 out of 3 times I would cave and order something fattening. I also had her not ask me what I wanted to drink. I decided to not order Long Islands while I was dieting but I would cave on that given the opportunity.

The hostess will tell the manager that we aren't coming in because waitress is gone. Since he is the one who fired her I don't think it will do any good. He is about 25 and dating several of the new waitresses. How's that for professional.

Joan

Good morning,

I did Cardio Supersets today, that one is a killer for sure. Somewhere I read that it was rated the easiest of the series, but not by my standards. I had to stop to catch my breath and drink water a few times. Also modified a lot. Still burned 297 calories in 45 minutes. I want to do an upper body weight workout tomorrow, but tri-sets pre-mix is way too long for me. 56 minutes for upper body is a bit much. I may have to dig into an older series. Or maybe do KCM's upper split.

Garance, do you modify or take breaks doing Cardio Supersets? I have a tough time with the one where you are in plank position and moving your legs side to side, then knees in and stand up. Also have to slow down on mountain climbers, I do one to their 2. At least I keep moving.

Valerie, WTG on pikes! I have never worked up to doing them.

Cathy, good to "see" you. How is the house coming along?

Joan, maybe you should try to find out where that waitress is working now and start going there!

Hi to Josie,

Take care,

This morning I did Low Impact Challenge (51 min.). This is all step.

Deb, thanks for the calorie burn on Cardio Supersets. Yes, I definitely modify some of the floor work in terms of speed and reps. I don't take breaks, though. On Total Body Trisets, there's a premix for Upper body Espress that's only 19 min. and a 30 minute premix for ch/sh/tris and a 34 min. premix for back/bis/and core.

Joan, my husband is rail-thin and has no problem consuming 3 times the calories I do. But then, he's a farmer and always, always on the move. Still, I don't think he would gain weight if he slowed down. He's just one of those ectomorphs, and I am probably an endomorph but constantly working to get some muscle. That really is too bad about your favorite waitress, but at least the hostess will let the manager know your opinion.

Another good on you for doing pikes, Valerie. I always end up all over the place when I try to do them.

Hi to Cathy and Josie!

Hi Ladies,

I will be spinning tonight. It is not a good day around here! My co-worker has had drama with the guy she has been seeing that treats her like crap and talking to friend about bowling all morning. I would pull my hair if it was long enough ;(

My DH is also thin and can eat whatever he wants. He will eat a chocolate Sunday before dinner and not gain a pound.

My DM is also heavy and in now using insulin shots now. We have tried everything to get her to move, but always get defensive when we bring it up. I took her and my DD to a concert and she barely made it up a small incline. We had to stop every few steps.

Josie

Good morning all,

This morning I could not sleep, woke up at 3:00 and tossed around for 30 minutes, I got up, let the Vixen out and did TB Tri-Sets, the total body express, but only the upper body part. I have not decided whether I like this one or not. I am not a fan of using the stability ball as a bench. ...and I didn't really notice the screechy rock music that everyone on the Cathy board was complaining about. Anyway, at least I got a workout in.

Garance, I sometimes wish I had a job that was more physical so that I could burn calories while working. Like delivering mail, or packages, or working in one of our hubs. I guess it's too late to think about it no. LOL

Josie, I hear you on the co-worker situation. It's unbelievabe what some people discuss at work.

HI to Valerie, Joan, & Cathy,

Take care,

Went snowshoeing yesterday. planned on xc skiing but the snow was garbage. what we lovingly call Cascade Concrete. hard even in snowshoes. went for about 3 hrs RT. not much elevation gain, maybe 700 feet. snow had a breakable crust. ugly stuff. kept collapsing with almost every step even after we'd both walked it one way and back. lots more work than good fluffy snow.

DH and I have always had jobs including walking. we do workouts to mix it up and tone all the other parts. Bil/Sil walk on the treadmill but apparently nothing else and that's a good example of how one limited activity does not do the job.
it's just too painful to hike, ski, bike if you haven't done anything for 6 months. long ago we decided to do "something" all year. we do more now than ever, cause as you get older you don't have as much resilience as a young person and if you don't use it, you lose it. so we are doing better at mixing things up.
retirement.. seems bad habits can take over your life if you aren't paying attention.

it's unbelievable what people discuss in public. .. restaurants, grocery stores. on the cell phone at about 100 decibels. yipes. Way TMI!! public / private seems to have lost its boundaries.

I don't know many people who can eat what they want without exercising by the time they are 60. lots of 20 yo s but the ranks diminish with age. I've been watching my intake since I was a kid and it will take eternal vigilance. always hungrier than the calories I need to maintain.

I eased into pikes. I wasn't even sure if I was doing them. had DH watch. I mix in a few, 5 or so, mixed with the normal roll ins. every other one. they aren't that much harder but it's hard to tell what to tighten to go up. once you feel what to pull in, up you go.

This morning I did the upper body split on Total Body Trisets (56 min.).

Deb, I agree with you on all the stability ball stuff, but I've done this workout 4 times, and I just set up all my dumbbells halfway down the mat (except for the 1 15 lb. for pullovers and rows), so it's not too much of a hassle. I am getting accustomed to the music. I tried music off, but it just seemed too weird, and I like the music on the warmup and final stretch.

My work is pretty sedentary except for when I have a big lecture class, and I stand and walk around for 75 min.

What is it with cell phones and loud talking? It seems endemic to using one, so I try to keep it down when using one.

Josie, did you ever use the spinning disk? Just curious.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.