Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 11/20

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning all,

Nothing new to report, it's 60 degrees here right now with a gusty wind. I think a storm is brewing.

Hope to get a workout in today, maybe a barre pre-mix.

Have a great "rest of the weekend"!

My exciting day yesterday was shampooing my carpet. I can't believe how dirty the water was. I bought a new bissell carpet cleaner and was very happy. Or at least I was after I figured out where to put hot water and soap in. I followed directions but put it in the waste water section . I had pushed it over half the room before I realized it wasn't getting wet. I read it again but it wasn't until I looked at the picture that I figured it out.

I had a horrible eating day so I wouldn't be surprised with a gain after two weeks of losses.

Joan

Hi Deb, Joan, and any later posters--

This morning I did Turbo Barre (74 min.).

I also took Maxie for a walk because it's beautiful here--mid 60s--and DH is selling at a holiday farmer's market. About 3 miles. Cannot believe this weather. I would love a few more days like this.

Another Comfort Sunday! Tonight it's split pea soup with East Mountain Farm's ham (DH's farm) and brioche croutons. Course 2 is chicken pot pie (once again, DH's chicken), and course three is carrot cake, but I will just go with the first two courses.

Joan, what made you decide to do the carpets yourself? I'd rather just hire someone.

Garance, Most of our house is hardwood. The familyroom is carpet and where the kids play most of the time. I just realized how dirty it looked and wanted it done before Thanksgiving. I think this did a better job than when I had someone else do it. I also need to clean the chair and sofa and it separates so there is a portable unit for furniture and stairs.

The food sounds wonderful.

Joan

Good morning,

Up early with a horrible headache. Off this week to do Thanksgiving stuff before Thursday's onslaught.

Joan, we have one of those Green Machines and John uses it on the carpet in his office. He likes it a lot. It can also be used for upholstery. Do you have any pets? I don't remember you mentioning any, they really do a number on carpets. I guess little kids do too!

Garance, how was the comfort meal?

I will pop in again later, since I am off and will be around.

we have a green machine too though it's old. we finally replaced the carpet that was dirty all the time with a hard surface and I couldn't be happier. SO much easier to keep clean. still have the upstairs carpeted but are working toward getting rid of some there too. will get down to only small carpeted areas. bedroom, hallway and stairs.
this leads to a question... what do you do with stairs? I can't imagine how slippery stairs would be in a hard surface. that is the big holdup. anyone seen a good solution? there is no "finished" surface under the carpeting.

We had an active weekend. went for a run saturday morning on a trail in a nearby park. hilly so it was a good workout. both of us got a little sore because of the uphill/downhill issue. not as mindless as a treadmill, and a very pretty, sunny morning. it's hard to run in boots but need somethign with better tread tom avoid slipping. sunday also started sunny and we went x-c skiing. we are working on clearing an old road we used to ski that the forest service has abandoned but not closed. we cleared out a pathway but didn't get as far as we'd hoped. several miles but lots of trees to clear. that will keep out the snowmobiles. the weather is warmer and wetter again so will wait until better conditions to finish. Spent 5 hours working and sawing our way up and then skiing back down. we got high enough so the area above should be mostly clear, we hope.

Hi Deb, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Low Impact Challenge (50 min.). Hope that worked off some calories from my yummy meal last night. The pot pie was especially good with the puff pastry. I took half home. Only had a couple bites of DH's carrot cake.

It's cooler here today, but still sunny. Feels more like October than November.

I guess I should look into a carpet shampooer since we have a lot of carpet--in the bedroom downstairs and living room and bedrooms upstairs. If you saw our house, you would know why. It's a log cabin style, so the walls are cedar in a lot of the house. More wood would be crazy. I do like my Orientals in the "great room" addition and the master suite lounge area, which are not in cedar.

I will try to do some pie baking tomorrow.

Have a great day everyone!

037.gif

Up since 3:00, and for once it wasn't the dogs. We took one of the turkeys out of the refrigerator last night after dinner, it was still frozen so we left it out, with the intention of putting it back before we went to bed. At 3:00 am, John woke up in a panic, we had left it out, so he gets up, lights on etc to go down and put it back in the refrigerator. Well, that was enough to get the vixen up for a saunter outside. Of course, I could not get back to sleep.

Valerie, the only wall to wall carpet we have is on our upper landing and the stairs. I guess if you had nice hardwood stairs there are stair runners that would be good, but they are still carpet. All of our other rooms are hardwood floors with area Oriental rugs, the den has an area rug, not oriental, but a flax type one I got at Pier One a long time ago. We send our rugs out to be cleaned. They come, pick them up, clean them and bring them back. So easy. It's just deciding on the date, and making the call,

Garance, I love a good pot pie, yummm. Have you done the bonus step at the end of I think, it's Athletic Training? There is a pre-mix that is about 30 minutes and the step is supposed to be easier than the regular Low Impact Challenge.

Joan, now that your oven is fixed, how many will you be having for dinner?

Hi to Cathy & Josie,

Going to breakfast with my friend this morning, then it's all about the "big day" after that.

picklewave.gif

We've gradually replaced carpet with solid surfaces but need carpeting on two stairways. to do the hardwood/ runner look you need to do the entire stairs in hardwood and then cover most with a runner carpet. I like the look but will probably just replace the carpet since there will still be carpet in several other rooms.

Lynda, I like having a small shampooer. we had consistent spots that were always dirty. easy to spot clean vs doing the whole thing. I used to use it frequently. with hard surface I can damp mop instead, much easier and stays cleaner.

did Housemax yesterday so cleaning is done. however ... thanksgiving plan just changed. no company, aunt isn't feeling well enough to make the trip so we will go to the assisted living thursday. I was afraid this would happen.... been caught between "get ready" vs "don't get ready" . this is probably her last year. she's had problem after problem. we are still having guests friday so dinner then. it's a regular work day for DH so will feel a little off center. I don't like a big dinner that late.

Deb, that is the way with turkeys. the partially frozen ones take a long time to defrost, always longer than the directions say. I usually do it in the sink, takes a few hours if it's partly thawed. I've been caught on thursday before, realizing the inside of the "thawed" bird wasn't.

I love pot pie too. usually have it with french bread topping. some turkey leftovers will go there.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did After Burn (54 min.). I think my endurance is improving, or at least I did not feel as winded as the first time on this one.

Deb, I haven't done the bonus step on Cardio Supersets. I really don't have any problems with the choreography on LIC, which I have mastered, even the final section, which is the trickiest, before she puts the whole thing together, and before the blast, which really gets my heartbeat going.

Why can't I make pie crust??? Or, why can't I transfer the pie crust to the pan without it falling apart? I'm just going to go get some pie crusts this afternoon and make fillings for them. Too frustrating. Made a big floury mess this morning.

Deb I have a cat. His only mess is the occasional hairball and lots of hair.

I always used the boxed pie crust mix and loved it. Now I just use the premade ref. ones. I've really gotten lazy. Tomorrow I will bake pumpkin pies. I always roast turkey wrapped in foil so I clean and wrap it the night before so I always know if it is thawed. Although I usually have to rinse it quite a bit to get the last ice out. The next morning I just unwrap it and put stuffing in and throw it in the oven by 7:30 and we eat at noon.

I was watching Rachael Ray and she suggested making gravy the day before and just adding drippings when available. It supposed to save on the last minute rush. I will try it this year. I already make mashed potatoes a couple hours early and put in slow cooker. That was the best suggestion anyone ever gave me. Everything else will already be made or just heated.

I've got a 23lb turkey and will only have 10 people this year. I just realized I haven't bought Christmas turkey yet. I like to buy it when it is cheaper. We have a ham and a turkey then.

Joan

I only bake pie a couple times a year. I make an oil crust. I'll type it up if anyone is interested but it isn't especially easy. I roll it out between sheets of plastic wrap so keep it from sticking. I don't like the mixes or pre made ones. I'm fussy about flavor/texture and having pie is so rare for me that I do the work. I want ti worth it! anyway, making an apple pie this time because SIL doesn't like pumpkin. so DH will get pumpkin pie for christmas maybe.

Went to yoga yesterday and did LBB later. I can't say the standing work is any easier but the floor work definitely is. this is a great lower body workout without a dread factor for me, except for the step section at the beginning that I'll never be able to do right. but I just keep moving screw the choreography.

I will keep the mashed potato idea slow cooker idea in mind. I hate that last minute scramble to get everything on the table, hot. Gravy is a once-a-yr thing for me too. I don't like gravy but everyone else does, so I make it.

rainy season here, rain and wind. I hate this time of year. flooding, water standing everywhere. trees fall over, power goes out. hopefully not while the turkey is in the oven.

anybody have a good easy way to make gravy? We have 2 birds so plenty of stock, drippings etc Just don't have a good way to make it.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did TBT, upper body split (56 min.).

Deb, DH makes the gravy in the roasting pan on the stove while the turkey sits under foil. He uses one of those measuring cups that separates the drippings if there is a lot of fat, pours in water to dissolve all those bits that have flavor and gradually whisks in Wondra flour to thicken (no lumps). He makes great gravy and it was easy for me, although I have only done it a couple times because he is such a good gravy maker.

You know, Valerie, that's what I probably should have done with my crust--rolled it our in saran wrap--because the problem I had was getting the darn rolled-out crust into the pie pan without it falling apart. I just gave up and bought some frozen crusts that looked pretty good. Made a sweet potato and pecan pie. The sweet potato looks really good.

Pouring rain last night, but tomorrow looks good. We will be going to the Thai restaurant tonight when ds gets here.

Joan, I will have to try that on my mashed potatoes, which I have always done at the last minute.

Happy turkey day everyone! I will be doing AT tomorrow morning in anticipation of all those calories.

Good morning all.

Rolling pie crust between sheets of plastic wrap works well, usually. overlap 2 sheets of wrap for the bottom. flour it lightly. plunk down the dough. overlap 2 layers of plastic wrap on the top. roll out. hold the pie dish over to make sure the size is right. peel off the top layers of wrap, carefully. pick up the bottom layer of wrap along with the dough, invert onto pie dish and wiggle into place. usually I have a few spots that break off or need patching but pie crust patches back together and after baking it's not noticeable. I get a tender good tasting crust. I don't like the texture of the commercial ones, and don't think they have any flavor. I'm no pie expert and only do this (maybe) 2x a year.

Our guests won't be coming ... elderly aunt does not feel up to the drive. so we will go there, to her assisted living instead. our other family members, due friday, will get the turkey dinner. at least that's the plan. I am pretty annoyed about this but early on was concerned this would happen.

So I'm not cooking until tomorrow. DH has to work all day, and SIL & BIL are coming.

and then there's a grand deception going on. MIL had an upper GI/ colonoscopy late tuesday. she was slow to wake up so the doctor reviewed the findings with her son. She has colon cancer unless a miracle happens. a big one. It's not clear whether it's operable. she has a followup with her doctor on monday /tuesday when it will be discussed with her. son & daughter decided not to tell her until then.
She is very happy because she got through the procedure that she 'd avoided doing, in spite of several decades of our urging, begging, cajoling to get screened. she only agreed to this because of severe GI problems lasting a month or two. we could not get MIl or FIL to even do take home stool cards. so sad because this outcome could almost certainly have been avoided.

so sorry about the sermon here but this is just so sad.

this morning did Afterburn again, and it went much better. much! I'm amazed at how much less traumatic it seemed this time thru. then did coremax 2 and also 90 knee pushups. I still don't do the burpees/ pushups. I did reg burpees doing the the lateral foot sliding, and then did a set of pushups at the end. modified the dragging pushups too. did a 2 of them and then went to reg pushups.

Last edited:
so in the continuing saga of plans that change..... my aunt had a minor accident in her apartment and had to go to the ER around 2 yesterday. so we could not celebrate the holiday there as planned. she is not seriously hurt, a minor accident with a vase falling off the top of the frig and smashing, resulting in minor cuts and a bruise.

Arrgh!! so at 2 PM DH and I said " lets make the damn turkey!" so at 2 pm, I made turkey, dressing, gravy, potatoes, salad and rolls. the only thing I'd made ahead was the cranberry sauce. with only one oven I had to let pie slide until friday. crust made but no room in my single oven. It tasted really good and I stuck to my very modest calories.

How'd everyone else do?

Good moring,

Our dinner went fine, but I am exhausted. At least everyone that stayed helped us tear down tables, take to basement and clean up a bit. They are ususally pretty good about that. The cooking is the minor chore, it's getting the house ready and then taking it all back down again where the real work is.

Then we had a minor incident. What is it that David Letterman has on his show? The 10 worst list? # 1 on the 10 things you don't want to hear on Thanksgiving:.."Does anyone have a plunger?".....!! My nephew, as my brother says, needs to learn about toilet paper efficiency. Kids.

Valerie, sorry to hear about your Aunt's accident. do you do a whole turkey or just a breast? We put ours in at 8:00 am to eat at 2:30 pm. I ate way too much as usual. What will you be having today with the other family members?

Took Keegan in for another urine draw/analysis this morning. Poor little guy. He is such a good sport when it comes to this stuff. They love him there.

Not much up for today, have to go to the library, otherwise no real plans. Just like I like it!

Take care,

Hi Deb, I'm here. We made a whole turkey (about 15 lbs) so I got it done by a reasonable hour. after all the starts, stops, and changes, it was a relief actually to just have dinner by ourselves. I have a generous amount of leftovers so will work on those with the family arriving today.
Agree on the set-up chores, cleaning etc. a lot of work. we had all that done ahead of time. the cooking mostly waits until thursday but usually get things rolling by 6 am rather than 2 pm.
Tee hee.. I read an
article yesterday saying thanksgiving and the day after are HUGE business for plumbers dealing with clogged drains and toilets. mostly due to grease going down the sink drains or more than normal thru the disposal. and multiple guests causing a whole lot more toilet flushing than usual. hope you didn't overflow! that is probably the worst surprise possible.

I talked to my SIL last night.. the one who's comign to visit today... she had not been called and informed about her mother's situation so I filled her in. both DH and I assumed she'd been in the loop, but somehow was not. I wasn't expecting that. surprise after surprise. She sounded OK it, but I soft pedaled it a bit, leaning heavily on the tuesday appt when the pathology report will be back.

Hi Deb, Valerie, and any later posters--

This morning I did Slide and Glide (52 min.). Doing a bit better on all those burpees, but I still can't do all of them. Yesterday, in anticipation of calories, I did Athletic Training (56 min.). I guess what I like about these two is that the cardio takes about 30 min., and then there's some interesting conditioning stuff.

Thanks for the advice on rolling out pie dough. I will try that ......next year? I should try it sooner. Our meal was scrumptious and I really liked the recipe for pecan pie I did this year. It called for a couple tablespoons of bourbon, which seemed to really give a deeper flavor to the filling.

Deb, I was thinking about you during Thanksgiving because a wire-haired fox terrier won best in show at the National Dog Show. Her name was Ira, which means something in Welsh (it better, because the only Iras I have known were all Jewish men). She was a little vixen though--quite sassy to the cameras. She's from Malibu. She beat out some really stunning dogs. I was really taken with the Australian Shepherd and the Bernese Mountain Dog. I watch this while my guys are vegging out with beer and pub cheese watching football. Sounds like you had a hectic occasion. Mine was totally restful. I watched Miracle on 34th Street after the dog show while the guys watched--you guessed it--another football game. Came up at 4 to do my potatoes, make myself a Manhattan, and learn a little about football.

Valerie, my 92 year old mom died of a heart attack a day after they discovered a large growth in her colon. She had never had a colonoscopy, and I always wondered why, because I'm sure she would have if a doctor had recommended it. Was she just too old when they started really reinforcing their importance?

Have a great weekend everyone!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.