Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 11/18

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Today I did KCM's Plateau Buster #1, 27 minutes.

Well when things go wrong, they come in 3's or is that the saying? We had a pipe break yesterday, the one from the laundry tubs to the main stack. Good thing we have a plumber that comes almost immediately, he was here within 40 minutes of calling. Riggd it up so we could use water the rest of the weekend and will be here tomorrow at 9:00 with the new pipe etc. It's always something. :rolleyes:

Lots of house stuff on the list, along with shopping for Thanksgiving dinner, etc etc.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Hi Deb and any later posters--

I did the double Plateau Busters this morning (46 min.).

Deb, things like that seem to happen on the weekend, when you cannot get anyone to fix it. So, I guess, all things considered, you are lucky to have such a great plumber. Went out to dinner last night for my birthday and had an excellent fish dish. Received a beautiful scarf, some handknitted gloves and some Maui Rain from DH. He really likes that fragrance--I think it reminds him of Hawaii where I first picked up a bottle, now long gone. He had to order it from Hawaii.

Did my Thanksgiving shopping today, and now I will plan my cooking schedule--baking pies and this new dessert called Pumpkin Pudding Crunch.

Deb, we are thinking that Max may have done something to his ACL. He's been limping occasionally, and first the vet tried an anti-inflammatory, which seemed to help. Then, because we've been pulling dogticks off him, the vet thought it might be a tick borne issue, and he's now on antibiotics, but they don't seem to be helping. If he wouldn't run like a bat out of hell whenever he gets a chance he wouldn't be tearing things. I know Kelsey had a torn ACL and went through surgery. Was she limping before and did they do an MRI on her??

Hi,

Garance, what a nice birthday and how thoughtful of your DH to get that fragrance!

As for the torn ACL, Kelsey was not limping, she would not put any weight on her leg at all. We knew it had to be pretty bad. When the vet examined her, he said there is a way they can "feel" whether it's torn, and hers definitely was. I think they did an X-ray to be sure. . The recovery for the ACL surgery was pretty long, and she had to be quiet, no running or jumping. Of course, she was 13 years old so that wasn't as big a problem as it would be with a younger dog. Mostly we had to keep Keegan away from her. He was the one that caused it in the first place, and my fault for having a throw rug in the kitchen on the tile floor. Dumb. I hope it isn't that, maybe just a muscle strain or something.

Good morning!

Off this week so workouts will be a little later. Not that it means I can sleep in at all. Kylee was up at the usual 3:45, but at least I went back to bed and dozed for about a half hour.

Roofers and plumber will be my day today. :rolleyes:. Hopefully get some stuff done around here, since I am stuck here anyway.

Take care,

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did KCM's Cardio Quick Fix, both workouts (45 min.).

Thanks, Deb, for the info on Kelsey's ACL. Max seems to be better today--or, at least, he is running again like crazy. Maybe he is a case of an athlete who won't listen to what his body is telling him and slow down a bit.

I made my pecan pie this morning. Tomorrow it's my sweet potato pie. I am also giving my kitchen extra cleaning because MIL is very fussy about kitchens being spotless. I try, but never seem to quite get everything perfect. My excuse: it's a very large kitchen.

Hope you had fun dancing, Josie!

Hi Ladies,

I also started my baking last night. I made carrot cake loafs and today will be the sweet potato and pumpkin pies. I did all my shopping on Saturday and was surprised that the store was not crowded at all.

I will probably skip working out today because I have to go to the mall and buy my dad a gift for his birthday and also pick up my ham.

Have a great evening!

Josie

I'm back. a lot of driving for a week but it was nice and sunny all the time there. came back to unrelenting rain...
not sure what will be happening to MIL yet, another appt in early Dec to get scoped again and that will decide what her likely outcome will be.

we got a half day up in Yosemite valley.. lovely but still fairly busy considering a tuesday in mid Nov. still... el cap, half dome are absolutely stunning. such a lovely place ... but busy. then a full day in Lava beds national monument.

funny about plumbing! our first night having dinner at MIL's house the kitchen sink backed up and refused to budge, regardless of plunger or snake. so needed to get a plumber and I volunteered to stay at her house to wait for plumber & monitor while MIL went to her medical appt. I also got pre-appt shower duty but better me than her sons, I guess. It was OK but we tried to set up a bath aid so she could have someone regularly to help her.

Lynda, do you have Max on preventive flea/tick treatments? they are SO worth it. Numerous brands but I don't know which works best...some regional differences. Our cat is on something during warmer months, not needed here in winter.
With people, some are totally incapacitated if they tear their ACL but others don't have as much of a problem. I would guess dogs might be the same where it varies a lot how much it interferes with normal movement.

I did my shopping this morning and will be starting to cook/bake tomorrow. I haven't worked out in a week, no time or place on this trip. will do something today to get back in the swing.

Good morning,

Slept until 4:40 today! Same thing on the agenda today, the roofers didn't finish so I am tied down until they do so I can pay them. I plan on a couple of minor errands while they are working, and stuff around here.

Garance, glad Max is better, hopefully he had a minor sprain or something that heals but hurts intermittently? I don't think he would be able to run around with a torn ACL.

Josie, do you have ham and turkey for Thanksgiving?

Valerie, welcome back! I hope your MIL next test has some positive news/results.

Not sure what workout to do today, maybe the other KCM, or one of Cathe's high step circuits.

Take care,

the reason I was mentioning differences possible between between individuals is that I ran and hiked all over the place with a torn ACL.... for years! As long as I didn't jump off anything I couldn't tell there was a problem. my orthopod said getting it fixed was "optional" for me. however a lot of people can't function at all ... we aren't all connected the same way, and I'm guessing dogs might have variation also. but people can be careful and avoid moves that cause probklems, dogs may not figure that out.

anyway, did S&G yesterday to start getting back to workouts. the cardio is not that intense but if you do all the other parts it's not easy.

I do turkey. we are having cousin and wife. no one else left around here!

Hi Ladies,

I will be spinning at lunch and then an evening sculpting class. I may take the day off tomorrow since they are letting us leave early. I would come in for 3 hours and the get to go home. I rather get up early and go to yoga and then start getting the house ready for my guest.

Welcome back Valerie, I’m glad that you had good weather and enjoyed your vacation.

Deb, we usually have turkey and ham for Thanksgiving.

Garance, there was no dancing at the dinner on Friday and since it was the grand opening
the service was terrible and the bartenders were incompetent. They messed up a Manhattan. Can you believe it! The food was delicious but it took forever and we were missing 2 orders. My DH and I will not be going back until they get it together.

Have a great evening!

Josie

Hi Deb, Josie, and Valerie--

This morning I did the upper body premix on High Reps (39 min.).

Welcome back, Valerie! Hope your MIL will have a good prognosis after the colonoscopy! Yes, Max is on a tick medication, but he's all over the place in the fields and woods, and we have found three dog ticks on him, right around the neck area.

Deb, the vet said it could be partially torn if he's limping. We will just have to wait and see. He's running around again like a banshee, so maybe he just overdoes his zaniness and gets sore. We keep telling him he's not a puppy anymore, but I guess he feels otherwise.

That's too bad that you didn't get some dancing in, Josie. Manhattans should be elementary for a skilled bartender. Maybe the restaurant will improve with time. That was certainly true of a local Mexican restaurant, which started off so slow on service we just gave up and left one time.

Almost done with desserts.

Good morning,

Went to bed at 9:00, slept unti 1:00 when DH got up because he could not sleep. Darn hot chocolate did him in. He took the dogs with him and I slept until 6:00! Nice.

Valerie, not sure how painful a torn ACL can be...but you are right, I am sure it's different for anyone, people and dogs.

Josie, I don't know if I could handle ham & turkey! I guess you can do the ham in advance? Take the day off! You deserve some time away from your co-workers.

Garance, what desserts are you making? something from the Barefoot Contessa? yum.

I will try to get a workout in early this morning, then hit the list of "to do's"..

will check back later...take care,

Hope everyone is doing great. I've had the flu for the last week and didn't leave my bed for several days. I think the first day I had 555 steps.

I don't have to babysit until noon so I plan to get my pies baked. Dil works from 1-9 today. She got a second job working at Macy's over the holidays.

Joan

Tearing the ACL was painful, but I did it in stages. a couple unrelated accidents.. I wanted the security of getting it replaced. my knee is not at risk for accidents anymore. Caffeine in chocolate can be a sneak attack on sleep. I can't have much at all at night. but you lucked out with extra sleep!.

Lynda, I keep hearing that the new flea and tick meds..I forget all the names, Advantage, Revolution etc... some are losing their effectiveness in some areas. fleas and ticks are "adapting" and the are less effective than initially. I'm very sensitive to flea bites. ticks can carry diseases that cause human illness. we are very careful to do a "tick check" if we've been hiking in an area where ticks are present. we've found them on us several times but killed them before they had a chance to embed. I don't know how outdoor dogs can be totally protected, since ticks might grab on for a while and drop off ..

we're not real optimistic about MIL. the scoping is a cystoscopy... a repeat "inside the bladder" check like the last one where they shaved the tumor down. this is not curable but if it's not growing too fast they may slow it down with radiation and chemo. If it's regrown quickly it may not be worth the process, though. will know more in Dec. Having unpleasant procedures done and then getting an indwelling catheter for a week is not the best way to spend what may be limited time.

Went to yoga yesterday and later did Cardio Supersets. after 10 days off I am generally sore overall.

I only made a pumpkin pie. there will only be 4 of us and I don't want a bunch of goodies sitting around here after. I'm so-so about pecans , and they're a possible migraine trigger for DH so usually don't have that one around. I make the pumpkin pie with squash. Never had sweet potato pie but I'lll bet I'd like that.

How could a bartender not know how to make a manhattan?? Needs to take a class!

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, and Valerie--

This morning I did the 47 min. premix on Cardio Supersets.

Deb, I made two pies--one sweet potato, one pecan--and this morning I made pumpkin pudding crunch, a new recipe. How nice for you to get some zzzzzz for a change. Are you having a crowd for Thanksgiving this year? Tomorrow is the National Dog Show--I think it comes on at noon or one on NBC. I love it as an alternative to the football the guys will be watching.

Valerie, our younger son tore his ACL in his senior year of high school while playing basketball. He was on his way to over a thousand points over 3 basketball seasons--had 820--and this stopped him dead. A very big disappointment for his team, since he was their best player. He plays in a men's league in Boston now, so he did go back to the sport, but he was a soccer goalkeeper in college and just couldn't play two team sports with overlapping seasons. There will be 7 of us for Thanksgiving this year, and I like to serve sweet potato pie with the meal, so it's a faux dessert I guess--if there is such a thing.

Joan, hope you are feeling better. I haven't had the flu in ages, but I remember how it would just knock me out when I had it. Did you get a flu shot? How did your dil manage without you for babysitting while you were sick?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I will be doing a workout in the morning before turkey day.

Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to wish every one a Happy Thanksgiving! Our office is closing early, so I get to go home as finish my pies and tidy up for tomorrow.

I won’t be back until Tuesday.

Josie

I tripped on the stairs at home, and fell xc skiing a few times and twisted my knee. between those, the ACL went bye-bye, a piece at a time. I didn't get diagnosed for many years. If my brain knew where my left foot was going and it went where it was supposed to, I had no problem. if my foot did NOT go where expected, like walking in deep snow, or jumping off even a small step, the bottom of the femur would slam into the top of the tibia and cause great pain, swelling, taking days to go down. I would think that basketball would be totally out of acceptable activities! I kept saying that was what was happening but I needed an orthopod to confirm it because it sounded so ridiculous. I opted to get it fixed and it was so worth it.

Happy turkey day everyone.

Hi,

The Wire Fox terrier won best in Show at the National Dog Show! Keegan's breeder is part owner of Sky, the dog that won. She is so excited right now.

Hope everyone had a great day today!

Deb I am jkccpa over at myfitnesspal.

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. I think I am over everything but still have a drippy nose.

I have way to much left over but expect to have some company over the weekend.

Joan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.