Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 11/13

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning all,

John's getting ready to take Keegan to the seminar, I am looking at the list of "to do's" and shaking my head, lots to do. First on the list is a workout. I have made up a sort of rotation using Cathe's as a guide but instead, using some of the express pre-mixes from the new series. I am hoping that this will get me in the right frame of mind to start exercising again. Lord knows I need to burn some calories. ( and start eating right again).

Well I am putting off the workout long enough. Time to let the vixen out, crate her and get my butt downstairs...
sit-up-1.gif
will check in later.

Hi,

Well I did one of the express pre-mixes from Afterburn....WOW! I don't know how anyone could do the whole workout. :eek:, I did the one with rounds 1-5 and by round 5 ( they do each round twice) I thought I was a goner. But I kept doing whatever I could, ( I did the Burpees without the push ups so I actually did twice as many the first time around, and the mountain climbers weren't too bad. I am pleasantly surprised at how well the disks work on my tile floor. I do need to get more organized with the workout stuff so I can have more floor space.

Anyway, that's my update! Tomorrow Cardio Supersets is on the rotation, I will pick a pre-mix for sure.

Take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Turbo Barre (74 min.)

Good for you, Deb! After Burn is, even according to Cathe, the toughest workout, up there with Cycle Max. It definitely burns calories, though. I'm doing LIC tomorrow, S & G Tues., AB on Wednesday, AT on Thurs., and Cardio Supersets on Friday. It's my way of ignoring my 65th birthday on Tuesday and pretending I am much younger. I may wimp out at some point and do a yoga workout instead of one of these.

So tonight this is my dinner for comfort Sunday, all for 25 dollars, or the first two courses for 20: Chilaquiles with Salsa Verde and Cricket Creek Farm Fresh Cheese; East Mountain Farm (DH's farm) Pork Carnitas Tacos with Rice and Beans; Fried Housemade ice cream with cinnamon caramel. I'm definitely getting all three courses this time, because I'm doing Cathe all week and I love ice cream.

Josie, I did get your check yesterday. Thanks!

Hi to any later posters!

Strong work Deb! I didn't think plain burpees were too bad, but the leg sliding & the pushups takes it to a whole new level. I really like using the slider disks... thought they'd be hard to control but mostly easier than paper plates that vary with the humidity level.

I did 30 on the stationary bike, 20 on the treadmill and coremax 2 yesterday after it appeared the rain was not going to stop except for short breaks. we washed the camper and the truck yesterday so I'd already been pretty physical. collect a ton of dead bugs on the front edges of the camper and let me say that dried on bugs don't soak off no matter how much it rains. requires suds and a brush and a strong hose.

Good morning,

I got up at 4:00 this morning and did one of the pre-mixes from Cardio Supersets. John called me from the seminar and said that everyone wanted to see Kylee so I ended up running down there with her for a little while. Otherwise, the whole day was spent workining around here to clean up.

Garance, Happy Birthday ( a day early)!! You have to be the most "fit" 65 year old I know. How was the dinner last night?.

Valerie, I agree on the sliding disks, much better than paper plates. One thing I really like about this series is that all the moves basically work your core.

Well, it's the start of a new week, weather here was great yesterday, I hope it lasts through the week.

Hi to Josie, Cathy and Joan,

Take care,

Hi Ladies,

I did not ride this weekend, but did go to the bar class on Friday, Sunday and will go again today. On Saturday I wasted a whole day waiting for our security cameras to be repaired and the guy never called and never showed up. The bike ride for Saturday was also cancelled due to rain.

Garance, I'm glad that the check got there. Chilaquiles are my favorite; I usually add chicken to them and make them a whole meal. I like them in a red or green sauce, I'm not picky ;)

Deb, I'm glad that you had a chance to work out. I feel better this week time wise, last week I felt tired and sluggish due to the time change.

Valerie, washing cars is a good workout.

Hi to Cathy and Joan!

Josie

This morning I did LIC (51 min.) on a 6 inch step.

I definitely needed to do some serious cardio after last night's dinner. Predictably, the chef gave us an extra course he calls "dirty pasta," which was incredibly good, and a beef taco for each of us as well as the two pork tacos. I didn't eat mine (brought it home along with the beans and rice), and I ate only about half of the chilaquiles. I finished off most of the ice cream. Hence, my need to burn some calories! Two friends showed up last night to surprise me, which was fun.

Deb, it sounds like you are getting back into your exercise groove, and with so many short premixes to choose from, this should work for you. How did you like Cardio Supersets?

Valerie, I just plain hate bug splatter on the windows and car. Impossible to get off, even in a carwash if they are really stuck on. A couple years ago, there was an incredible infestation of these sticky worms in the trees, and they were everywhere and impossible to remove. People walked around campus looking up to make sure the dang things wouldn't get in their hair.

ttfn

we have a truck camper. camper sits in the bed of the pickup truck and comes forward over the cab. the leading edge of the camper and the area between the roof of the cab and the camper gets coated with squashed bugs. yech. even with the camper off and sitting on the ground we need a ladder and bucket of soapy water and a scrub brush. it is a 2 person job and takes a lot of scrubbing. a good job for a rainy day. due to the reach, it's quite a workout. soap suds runs back down your arm so we both get soaked.

Josie does that ever tick you off when people don't show up! total waste and then you need to reschedule and worry it might happen again. late is bad enough, but a no show!

this is such a coincidence... I made chilaquiles last week. used mild green salsa but DH hated them! absolutely hated them, said they were too spicy. I had to add some warm salsa to mine to perk them up but had them for 3 nights because they were so good. I added a little chicken to mine too. I don't know how to pronounce the word "chilaquiles". help?

that sounds like a yummy dinner. I've never had fried ice cream that I can remember. cinnamon caramel sounds divine! and Happy Birthday!

this morning we hoped to xc ski but it was mixed snow and rain and a sloppy mess. we drove as far as we could but could not get up to where it was all snow, and we know the road well enough to know it would be a long walk in the rain. bailed and came home. did a light workout yesterday anticipating skiing today. 15 bike, 20 treadmill and my knee pushups. this time I did 3 sets of 30 in a couple minutes. no problem, no soreness. 4 sets next time. they don't bother my shoulder at all. It doesn't seem like toe pushups should be so much harder than knee ones.

Glad you're getting back into workout rhythm Deb.

Good morning!
picklewave.gif

I did 30 minutes of CC #4 this morning and was sweating buckets, but loving it!
047.gif

Kylee graduated from puppy class last night. She didn't come in first, but she didn't come in last either so I was happy.

Garance, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!. Hope you have a great day. I liked Cardio Supersets, it was really hard though and I had to stop and catch my breath at some parts, drink water. That's ok though, as long as I am doing something, it can only get easier right?

Josie, I have never had Chilaquiles, will have to google them to see how they are made.

Valerie, I remember one time when my friend and I were very young, around 18, and we drove around, near the river one summer night on the "freeway". The bugs slammed against her windshield, were so bad we could not see a thing. We had to pull over and use an ice scrapper to get them off...ewwwww...the smell was horrid.

Hi to Joan, & Cathy,

take care,

Did S&G again yesterday afternoon and liked it. Did a premix, didn't have a whole hour before dinner. cardio, abs, & stretch. I think my Trigger-like foot coordination is improving. this is the third time I've used disks. still can't do all the moves, but a vast improvement over the first run thru. whatever strength/coordination it takes to slide feet sideways in and out while doing pushups....well, don't have that yet. so I'm doing twice as many burpees instead. It felt so much easier this time. maybe some of the exertion is connected to letting the disks move smoothly. I am a minimal sweat person so can't use that to judge.

Had some good chocolate ice cream for DH's birthday dessert. his birthday was sunday but I forgot about dessert. really good , rich, lovely. and it kept me up all night. too much caffeine in it. so annoying when something THAT innocuous ( except for calories) causes grief.

Wow Deb, that is a bug onslaught! took us about 2000 miles to get coated. should have cleaned it off sooner but it's hard to do even after the camper is off the truck. while still on the truck, not gonna happen! Glad to see you getting back into workouts.

found this pronounciation ... chee-lah-KEE-lays that's what I thought, but wanted to be sure.

Last edited:
Hi Ladies,

Our bar instructor tried to kill us last night, but I slept so well and awoke with a lot of energy! I don't think that I will be able to workout today; I have to take my DS to pick up his new car this evening.

Happy Birthday Garance! Enjoy your special day.

Hi to Joan, Deb, Cathy and Valerie!

I will be back later.

Josie

This morning I did S & G (52 min.). I'm slowly improving on this one, too, Valerie. I do the soldier planks with my knees in the disks. I like the abs and legs on this one a lot.

Deb, good for Kylee! How did the puppy who came in last feel---or rather the owner of the puppy who came in last? It's nice to see you working out again and enjoying this series, which I think is excellent.

Valerie, have you bought the spin bike yet for DH's birthday?

I have a somewhat blah afternoon writing recommendations for people. Or rather, blah blah!

No bike yet. I think we will get it for a joint christmas gift for ourselves. enough to do without it right now.

Josie, I envy you. If I work out hard late in the day I can't sleep at all..... I get fidgety and it's almost like I can't stop exercising...... apparently not if I eat chocolate ice cream either. It was very chocolatey rich stuff that I have about 2x a year. don't know why it was such a problem last night...

DH has to go to a dinner meeting tonight so I'm having a piece of salmon given to us by BIL/SIL they caught last season. I like salmon once in a while. DH is not a fish fan and I can't make it while he's around without a lot of negative feedback. It's a huge piece though, enough for probably 4 meals but it was frozen when we got it. no way to trim it down.

Good morning!

This morning I did Lower Body Express from the Tri-Sets workout. I could not imagine doing any more than this, I am such a wimp! I had a great idea though, I am going to cut a paper towel roll thing in half and try to use that in place of the Dixie cups. Someone else on the forums said they are using toilet paper rolls. I don't have 2 empty ones right now so the paper towel roll cut will have to do. I don't even think I could get that low yet, but it's a goal.

Valerie, I have Slide & Glide on my rotation for tomorrow...I am dreading it. I will do a pre-mix for sure. Thanks for the pronounciation. How do you cook the salmon? As much as I try and try, I can't seem to get into fish.

Garance, the person/puppy that came in last was ok with it. They knew that their puppy was going to "act up" since it has always been the class clown.

Hi to Joan, Josie & Cathy,

Take care,

Hi Ladies,

I will be going to my bar class tonight. I feel more toned after taking these classes for the last 3 months. I will definitely buy more.

Valerie, if I take a class later that 6:30, I will not be able to sleep either. The same with coffee, if I have a cup anytime after 5 I will be tossing and turning all night. I do not eat ice cream anymore because I have become lactose intolerant in my old age ;(

My DD asked me to make salmon last night, but I got home too late. I combine the zest of a large orange and a large lemon with 4-5 cloves of garlic and olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. I then spread the mixture on both sides of the salmon and let it sit in fridge for 30 minutes then I bake it for 20 minutes or more depending on the thickness. I also make enough of the marinade and add a bag of spinach and sauté it until the spinach is wilted.

I found this recipe on my Runners World magazine and have been making it for a few years now. My DD loves it.

Deb, great job on your work outs! Remember it takes 21 days to become a habit.

Hi to Garance, Joan and Cathy!

Josie

This morning I did After Burn (54 min.). I think my cardio endurance is improving, but I still get out of breath on some of these intervals.

Deb, we have a bunch of leftover plastic cups from a party--much bigger than dixies--and I use them in After Burn for that one interval. When the boys were little, we had a dixie cup dispenser in the bathroom, and every time they would pull one out, several more would fall. I came to hate dixie cups, so I was not about to buy any for Cathe.

Josie, that recipe for salmon sounds excellent. I usually make "Dave's Marinated Salmon" from Epicurious.com, which is also yummy, and I just leave the marinade on when I bake it.

Kind of a grey afternoon here. Probably rain later.

I did S&G again yesterday, late in the day again because I'd procrastinated. Slept better but not well. I can't have "real" coffee after early morning. I'm a slow metabolizer, and it will still be around at bedtime if I drink any even around noon. I'm working hard at finding decaf tea that for when I want a hot cup of something later in the day. found an orange/cinnamon one that I like a lot. I love LOVE my morning latte and would need to find a way around lactose intolerance. Getting old is such a pain sometimes.

No dread factor on S&G. did the whole thing again except for the fancy pushups. did reg toe pushups, and a bunch of knee pushups while they were doing the "dragging" pushups. did the burpees at about double and did some of the pushups without sliding my feet sideways.
the more times I do this, the more I see how great a core workout this one is. that's why I'm having trouble with the fancy pushups. my shoulders are up to it, but without core involvement, feet are uncontrolled. I'm gradually learning to engage core to keep my feet from sliding away from me to the rear.

I have a big piece of salmon left. I will do one or both of those recipes.... thank you both. I did last night's with some sesame oil and a bit of soy sauce but it was just so-so. Salmon is something I usually save for restaurants because DH hates it so much. I like it when someone else cooks it so I don't need to smell it in my kitchen the next day. supposed to be stormy today and I hope we have power tonight or the salmon will get put off.

coffee.gif
Woke up at 2:00 am and did not get back to sleep until almost 3:30. Thinking about work. UGH...

Josie, like the sound of the salmon recipe. Not liking the salmon part though. LOL

Garance, I may have to start out with plastic beer steins. I remember begging my Mom to get a Dixie cup dispenser, didn't happen. I thought they were "so cute". We had a "family" glass in the bathroom.

Valerie, I agree that this series is very good for the core, without all the neck aching crunches. I do have some problems with the knee roll ins on the stability ball that are in Tri-sets, but I could do more the second time so I know if I keep at it, I will be able to keep up with Cathe/crew.

Hi to Cathy & Joan,

Take care,

Kept it light yesterday and did 30 min on the bike at top speed. got my car serviced broke up the day. DH did S&G and thought it was easy. Groan. he claims to have done all the pushups too. Double groan. men.

yoga this morning was a challenge. she always keeps us trying new things. today we did backbends. Drumroll please... I was the only one who could do one unassisted. you start lying on the floor with feet on small blocks, put your arms by the side of your head elbows up and push up. I almost could not believe it myself. Used to do them when I was 13 or so but needless to say, haven't done any lately! there was another pose whose name I forgot that I got right into. dolphin I think. It's so funny though, no one (except the teacher) is good at everything. we all have good areas and impossible areas but it is such a fun class and she keeps us challenged.

so some kind of cardio thing today, not sure I'm ready for Afterburn again. maybe KPC, haven't done that in ages.

Lynda, I did the marinated salmon last night. It was quite good. definiotely Josie I will try the citrus one on my next salmon. I thought I had a lemon but didn't so that was the decision maker. BIL/SIL are coming right after thanksgiving and are bringing some with them. I'm still not crazy about salmon but once or twice a year it's good.

This morning I did Athletic Training (56 min.).

What's going on at work, Deb? I am so looking forward to my retirement and not worrying about college politics. A big uproar here in one of the student dorms, where an unknown student chalked a racist statement. Marches, rallies, letters to the college paper, special meetings of faculty and administration, etc. etc. etc. I am on leave and felt no pressure to involve myself, but if I were teaching, no doubt I would be part of the brouhaha. I doubt they will find out who wrote this, and our local police are not the brightest bulbs on this planet, so I'm pretty sure this hate crime will not get solved.

Josie, I bet you would love Cathe's Turbo Barre if you are loving your bar classes.

Anyone getting ready for Thanksgiving yet?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.