Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/30

fox2star

Cathlete
coffee.gif
Good morning,

Up at 3:00, ( another crate cleaning episode), then awake at 4:00, and up at 5:15 for good. *yawns* Tell me again why we have dogs?

Garance, I hope the weather missed your area, but from what I can see on the net and news, you probably got hit pretty hard.

Valerie, Keegan is getting a draw from his bladder directly, I guess they do this for the purest sample they can get. Will the cat have to live in the camper again? Mailed the package yesterday, let me know when it gets there.

Joan, that Halloween feast sounds great! I know why you had it at your house, your DIL is no dummy. ;) You and I need to get back to exercising, I have the same thoughts, that hopefully once I do one of the new workouts, it will get me back into it. Which one are you doing first?

Rice in the rice cooker, I hope to get a workout in today, feeling so tired though and still have a lot to do around here. Would like to get the dogs over to the training hall for some running around exercise to tire them out. Especially Kylee. She needs it. At least Keegan had his agility class yesterday.

Take care,

Hi,

I did the joint friendly pre-mix for lower body from Tri-Sets. Nope, no way will I ever be able to pick up dixie cups from the floor the way they do in this workout. I would need 32 oz beer steins, and I still would be struggling. I guess that shows how out of shape I am.

I have Cardio Super Sets ( one of the pre-mixes) on tap for tomorrow. I hope I can get up. What am I saying, of course I will be up (dog forced), but I hope I have energy to do a workout.

Well time to clean Fritz's cage, water plants, finish the hard boiled eggs, and the list goes on.

Deb, I'm waiting for the rotation Cathe is posting Oct 31. I really wish she would do it today so I could start on Monday. Maybe she will post it early.

Joan

Hi Deb, Joan, and any later posters--

This morning I did Turbo Barre (74 min.). This is an excellent barre workout. What I especially liked about it is that she gave excellent positioning pointers, she did not have us on our toes nearly as long as P-57 or Booty Barre, she did not use those playground balls, which I have never enjoyed stuck between my thighs, she did many little rests and stretches, and there was a very good upper body workout with 5s and a brief but very good abs workout (I hate the abs on P-57 vol. 2). I was also pleased that I could use my band from BBL in place of the Firewalker Loop--it's the same thing, but yellow instead of pink. I think I will preview the Cardio Supersets Express +Step workout for tomorrow (47 min.). I deserve a shorter workout after this one.

Deb, that bladder draw sounds awful. Poor little Keegan! Yep, we did get 11 inches of snow, but no power outage, no high winds, which apparently wreaked havoc elsewhere. I did not go the livestock auction because DH thought it might be rough weather, but he did get back with a trailer of 5 calves and Max's usual truck riding antics before the roads started to get bad. I stayed home and cleaned house. The play on Friday night was excruciatingly bad. The playwright must be tone deaf when it comes to dialogue, which alternately sounded pretentious or just plain silly. Talking rocks in Hades?!

Joan, that's very nice of you to host a party for your granddaughter. I wouldn't have ever even thought of asking my MIL to do that. We had some pretty crazy birthday parties when the boys were young. They just get so wild and start running around. Hope your eyes are better.

Good morning,

This morning I did a pre-mix from Cardio Supersets, the short one where she does the first 4 sets only. I had some trouble with the "travelling push ups" because there is no where to travel to in my workout space. Yesterday I pulled up the puzzle mats, and now have a tile floor, ouchie! I am not used to doing anything without the mats.

Garance, after doing the lower body portion of Tri-Sets, I may switch to doing the Barre workout on Sunday for legs and over stretching etc. I am so not into squates and lunges anymore. I don't think I could do the whole thing, but one of the pre-mixes would probably work. It sure looks like the East coast got hit hard. We had the same thing here in October of 2006. It was terrible. People without power for weeks. Let us know what you think of the Cardio Supersets.

Joan, I am hoping for a rotation too, only I know it will be too advanced for me. Someone on the forum asked her to do an intermediate one, I like that idea. I guess just seeing what order she puts them in could be helpful, then we can tailor our own.

Hi to Valerie, Cathy, and Josie.

Happy Halloween!

I am forgetting if I posted this last week but IMO the Slide & Glide disk would be better to do before Afterburn. I haven't done it yet myself, but previewing it, it looked like a better introduction to some of the moves & the glide disks themselves. Deb, there were dixie cups in Afterburn, but I don't remember the move being difficult. I think it was just squat and pick up/place down. Deb, could you use a yoga mat for push ups etc? you can roll it up in a second if you need clear floor space.

Yes, the cat in the camper routine again tomorrow. worked well before and it's only from late afternoon until early morning when we can air things out. the finish the floor guy put down in spring is fine but the wood got a cupped effect. takes wood a while to acclimate to humidity and ours did not acclimate enough before he put the finish down. so he's re-doing it for us. not too happy this has to be done but can't let it go, it's obvious.

also, I thought it was a "blood" draw on keegan. It's hard to get dogs to pee into a cup.... you've got to be very fast... to avoid contamination and get a clean sample, maybe that's what they need to do. blood draws are no big deal as long as someone can hold the dog leg still. dogs don't seem to notice but won't hold still ... when do dogs EVER hold still? Animals don't seem to be bothered by needles and injections etc. not like people are, anyway.

wow Lynda, lucky you with no power out. lots of snow so early in the season! with all the leaves on our trees yet, we'd be out for sure. haven't had an outage yet but as soon as it gets windy we are prime candidates.

took yesterday off. we were planning on hiking today but weather pooped out so will do something indoors later.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, and Valerie--

This morning I did a Cardio Supersets premix: Cardio Supersets Express + Step (47 min.). I think this is rounds 5-8 followed by work on the step. I am definitely getting better on the discs. For those of you who did Lowmax on the step, the moves on this routine are VERY basic repeaters (e.g., high leg lifts/straddle, arabesque repeaters, leg abductions off the side), so this is not choreography at all. Boy did my heartrate get up again, and I used a 6 inch step instead of Cathe's 8 inch. Once again, I am finding the intensity really good for me. Even though she uses dumbbells for some of the moves, I would not classify this workout as weight work. Definitely cardio and the dumbbells just increase the intensity.

Deb, I bet you will be pleasantly surprised on the Turbo Barre. I think you could stop after completing as many sections as you want. When I first started doing barre workouts, I really had serious doms, but not any longer, or maybe a little on Rockin' Models. I am really interested to see how Cathe's rotation of all LIS looks. I haven't done one of her rotations in ages, but I might try this one.

Not sure what I will do tomorrow. I will either do the upper body premix on Trisets again or Athletic Training which looks like it has a lot of upper body work.

Valerie, it's beautiful here today, like spring arriving a second time. All of this stuff will be melted in a couple days, I'm sure. DH has a generator for power outages, so I don't get too worried about them.

Good morning,

No workout today, woke up with the cold that I have been fighting since the weekend. **coughs** ** coughs** **Hacks** so no workout.

Took Keegan in for the Culture/Sensitivity draw and it will be 5-7 days before they get the results back.

Valerie, the dixie cup move in either Tri-sets or Cardio Supersets ( I don't remember which one), is just picking it up and moving it to the other side of your leg. I can't bend down and pick it up as fast as she goes, so I don't bother with one. I just bend as far as I can and go along with the reps. I am sure if I stuck with it, I would get better. My hamstrings are very tight, actually have a pulled hamstring on my right side, which hurts all the time. Which workouts did you get from the series? Too bad about the floor having to be redone. What a pain.

Garance, I think Low Max is the only DVD I kept from that "series with no name", although I could never do the whole thing. I like that on the Tri-Sets workout, she even split the upper body further so you could do a 3 day split if you wanted to. I see Cathe has posted the rotation using this series, both with a 6 day week and a 5 day week.

Hi to Josie, Cathy & Joan,

Take care,

Deb if they're doing a C&S on keegan, that's why they collect it that way. with people, you can follow a procedure to cleanse the area around the urethra and surrounding area. then pee and collect "mid stream" into a sterile container. not possible with dogs & cats. every sample would be contaminated before it got to the sterile container. then the bacteria that grow are not necessarily the problem ones. I doubt he will feel it like a person would. everything I've seen done with pets...they don't LIKE the process but don't act like it's painful.
whoops gotta go to yoga, more later. Did LBB yesterday.

Hi Deb, Josie (?), Joan, and Valerie--

This morning I did Athletic Training (56 min.). Wow, another big calorie burner! Once again, she uses the step for a lot of repeater moves. I cannot believe she uses 8 inches.

Deb, sorry about your cold. I usually exercise anyway if I don't have a fever or a cough, which it sounds like you have. I looked at Cathe's rotation, and I will probably just do my own, because I don't like shifting dvds and combining a little of this and a little of that. Tomorrow I plan on either Slide and Glide after I preview it, or Low Impact Challenge, which has a learning curve for the choreography, so I should probably keep doing it until I get it down. I loved Lowmax, but I couldn't do it on the 8 inch step she uses. I grew tired of doing it, though, even though I love the music and the choreo. Hope Keegan feels no pain.

What a bummer on the flooring, Valerie!

Hi to Josie and Joan!

We weren't happy about needing the floor redone. has to do with the humidity and the wood not being acclimated. that's apparently what causes the cupping and it's best to let it go for a while to make sure it's done expanding /contracting. we took all stuff out of the room and he's working on it right now. it was not an arm twister getting him back. he is such a nice guy. left the wood here to adjust for 2 weeks before laying the floor down, but it cupped anyway. so we spend tonight in the camper and he'll come back and finish on thursday. inconvenient but not a big deal.

Deb, too bad. I seldom get fever/ cough, but get sore throat, awful nasal congestion. I don't exercise with colds. I get over faster if I take it easy for at least the initial "swollen shut" phase of it. I might do gentle stuff like walking or a light weight workout. no heavy breathing, sweating. my head swells shut and I can't breath. I feel worse if I exercise hard. so let the way you feel be your guide. DH always works out with colds but his colds last twice as long as mine.

I got afterburn and slide & glide. I have a lot disks to pick from already. I know I looked at Athletic Training and with the step moves, would not be able to do it. there's a little step in LBB and I fumble thru. I can jump over it, jump on it, and a few other simple things but if it's "choreography" forget it. I'm DOA. I do the whole disk though, even the floor work which killed me at first. Yes, I can keep my leg in the air thru the whole thing now. very much squat/lunge stuff that I like. ( like???) used the new glide disk in LBB for the first time and really liked it. nicer than paper plates ... much smoother.

the Barre workout I debated about, decided against. it looks "gentle" from the footage. Lynda how is the word pronounced? is it 'bar' or "bar-ray"? I think I've heard both and not sure which is right, or are they both acceptable? I regret not taking a chance on this one.

deb, I think the dixie cups in afterburn you picked up, squatted, picked up. and alternated. whatever it was, I don't remember it being hard, more of a time filler between some really horrid moves.

Hi Ladies,

Sorry for not posting. I have been very busy at work. I will be going to my bar class tonight.

Garance, I think that my sight is worst than I though, because I could not find the PM section once I clicked on your name. My e-mail is [email protected].

Hi to Joan, Valerie and Deb!

Josie

I tried After Burn tonight and hurt my knee on the first exercise after the warm up. I think I will have to get in better shape to do this one.

Joan

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, and Valerie--

This morning I did Slide and Glide (52 min.). I like this one except for the burpees and some of the newfangled pushup variations. I just did jacks or some of the other cardio sliding maneuvers while Cathe did the burpees, and I just did my usual pushups or planks, while Cathe is torturing her cast.

Valerie, it's just "bar"--like Josie has it (although when she says she's going to her "bar class" I always think of bartending or drinking class--hah!).

Joan, that's too bad. Afterburn is a wonderful calorie burner. I will do it again next week. I am finishing this week with trisets upper body split tomorrow and LIC on Friday.

Josie, I e-mailed you.

Hope you are feeling better, Deb.

Off to get some highlights this afternoon.

Floor is refinished for the moment, but stinky. we aired things out for an hour and then decided to go on a short hike as the weather was lovely but wasn't going to last. so we did a short steep one, lots of snow and ice but not too hard. probably only a mile and a half but gains about 1500 feet so not easy. but short. probably 3 miles RT, 2.5 hours.

tomorrow the floor guy comes back and finishes it. he'll be here twice tomorrow and then we're done. then can move furniture back etc.
Deb, hope you're doing Ok. I am a wimp when it comes to headcolds and take drugs and drink hot liquids and otherwise baby myself to get over it ASAP. I think vit C and zinc help shorten the duration as ( for me) does getting plenty of rest and staying warm.

Joan, Afterburn is tough. do something easier to get yourself tuned up rather than injuring yourself. or preview it and modify. It doesn't sound like you've been doing anything even close to that for a long time, and that's asking for trouble. Lynda, did you think S&G was near the intensity of Afterburn? that's my next one either tomorrow or friday. I need an upper body workout in there too.

wowzer! hi all, sorry to be so awol! been busy, out of town, and then my brother was in the hospital and went to be with the LORD early monday morning. so, have been back & forth there and back & forth to the new house. and , just going, going, going. so, now to get thru the next week with funeral arrangements. i actually have been working out. i took 12 days off while i was out of town, but i was still tired , even after all that time off. too much stress. other stuff in my life, too, but just too much to tell.
anyway, i got low impact series, and i do love it. it is super hard. how does she make it so hard and keep it low-impact???? can't figure that out.
this is how my week has gone with them

sun-afterburn
mon-athletic training
tues-cardio super sets
today-low impact challenge , which almost killed me. this one is really tough.
so, not sure about what tomorrow will bring. seems every day is a new day around here, lately. hope all are doing well, hope to be around a bit more.
cathy

Cathy I'm so sorry for your loss.

I could have slowed After Burn down and modified the heck out of it but I don't think I can ever do lots of repetitions with my knees. I always have to be careful with lunges. I will try the other dvd's but I am thinking the other rotation with gym style, slow and heavy and pyramid upper and lower might be more my speed.

Bad news with my eyes but I'm not surprised since they didn't stop hurting. I would occasionally unblock a gland and that would lubricate my eye but since they are all blocked it wouldn't last long. I have now added a steroid drop 4 times a day. Oh gee it could cause you to develop glaucoma. I'm hoping that is with long term use. Unfortunately the symptoms of overdose are similar to the way my eyes already feel. Now I worry when I put one drop in my eye that I don't put in two.

Knees are still a little sore but I walked anyway because I am afraid of gaining weight. I seem to eat when I hurt.

Joan

037.gif

I didn't post yesteday and didn't even realizie it. I Cold still here, I didn't take lunch yesterday and left at 2:30, stayed home and tried to sleep. Right. Not because of the dogs, they were fine, I just couldn't breathe.

Going in today and hoping this starts to get better. I have a haircut, pedi tonight that I need badly, not the pedi, but the hair needs the roots colored.

Garance, I need highlights too, but do not want to sit there for that long. I am kind of looking forward to the barre workout, glad that you like it better that P-57, which I could not get into at all.

Joan, take it really easy on these, they are not beginner or even intermediate workouts, I am going to start with all pre-mixes, may never do the workouts in total as originally filmed. Sorry about your eye situation, hope it starts to resolve soon.

Josie, did you get the low impact series at all? I was wondering if you compared the barre workout with the ones you take classes for.

Cathy, so sorry for your loss.

Valerie, somehow hiking on snow and ice does not sound like fun to me, it's what we do here when we have a storm and you can't get your car out of the parking lot or driveway! Are you still sleeping in the camper? or just the cat?

Off for more coffee, I'll need to stop at the drugstore for some over the counter cold meds.

picklewave.gif

Cathy, so sorry about the death of your brother. welcome back.

Deb, the hike is in forest so it's not smooth snow and ice. I grew up in Wisconsin I know how things get. this was tricky but not treacherous. we carry traction devices (like yaktrax) in case it gets really slippery but didn't need them. the drive was easy, dry gravel roads. gorgeous close up view of mt baker and mt shuksan all covered with snow, ice, glaciers. as the snow accumulates, it gets harder to get this close. this trail goes up a creekbed, so lots of rough surfaces to get traction. need to be careful about foot placement.

we were all back in the house yesterday morning including the cat. he is not a good "camper cat". cats like to cruise around at night. in the house we don't notice him, but in the camper we do. aired things out and then drove to the mountains to do the hike. back by 2:30 or so.

Joan, I'm sorry you are having so much grief with this. Hope something helps. I agree that these are advanced workouts. low impact does not mean "easier".

off to cook up my oatmeal and then yoga and grocery shopping. DH is home this morning & can let the floor guy in to start finishing up.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did the upper body split on Total Body Trisets (56 min.).

Deb, the last time I had a head cold, I used a neti pot before going to bed. It really cleaned out my sinuses and let me sleep. I usually take a lot of Cold-eez zinc lozenges when I feel a cold coming on, and it seems to knock it out pretty well. Hope you feel better soon.

Valerie, I thought Slide and Glide was more intermediate than advanced, but I didn't do all of those burpees and pushups, modifying them with some of the previous moves or planks. I agree on Afterburn being maybe the toughest workout of the bunch, but I'm hoping it will get easier if I keep doing it.

Welcome back Cathy! Sorry for your loss. I hope your brother did not have a long illness. I agree with you on Low Impact Challenge. The choreo gets tougher as the workout advances, but I do love Cathe's step. I don't do it on an 8 inch step though.

Joan, I hope those drops give you some relief. I think you are right to stay away from workouts that aggravate your knees. Nothing better than walking for cardio. You might try the Barre workout for your legs. I think Cathe's is much less stressful on the knees than P-57, and she says if being on your toes bothers your knees, just do the routines with your feet down.

Hi to Josie--I'm putting your dvd in the mail today.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.