Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/23

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Keegan's chicken is in the stock pot, and his rice is in the rice cooker, and I am sitting here having coffee. The dogs slept until 5:00, a very good thing. We took them both to a play group session yesterday after Keegan's agility class. Kylee, as much as a vixen that she is with Keegan, is very timid around other dogs so we thought this would help. She did start to break out of her shell a bit, but still did not run or play with the other dogs. At least she was starting to let them come up to her without cringing with her tail between her legs. She was more interested in getting into areas she wasn't supposed to be in, and ignored the other dogs. :rolleyes: Keegan was too tired to run around because he just did 3 agility runsn. He is still not 100%, I can tell. We take another urine sample in on Wednesday, hope the PH etc are where they are supposed to be this time.

Valerie, what website did you find info on spelt? Bob's Red Mill? I'll go over to the link you posted and check it out. I would like to find other things to make with it besides bread.

We have that dinner/Halloween party today, and I found out yesterday that my aunt passed away, no wake/etc arrangements in the paper, says "at the convenience of the family". Not sure what that means, so I have to start making calls.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend, at least there was no rain yesterday.

Valerie, just checked out the site, and they have spelt berries, not the flour, unless I missed it.

oops, missed it because I was in the grain section!

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did Cardio Barre (55 min.).

Deb, it looks like we will be getting our new workouts this week. Yippee! I am in the mood for something new and have high hopes that this will be a really good series. Maybe I will be doing an all-Cathe rotation for a few months. The crate idea sounds good. Not sure it would work for Max, who is a whore for affection and attention and loves courting both humans and other dogs.

Went for a hike yesteday, although it remained cloudy all day. Foliage is really beautiful here--either at its peak or a little over.

Wishing you luck, Josie!

Good morning,

up at 4:00 today, we should not have let them sleep from7:30-9:30, last night, then expect them to go to at least 5:00. Not happening.

Garance, I am kind of excited too about the DVD's, however have not figured out how to use them. It seems like besides the step one, the cardio ones have weights as well. Have you thought of how you are going to use them? I'd like to try to work in a barre workout once a week, as well as some weights, and cardio.

We didn't take the dogs to the party, John did not want to haul the crates, and have them out in the outer hall while we ate dinner. We were going to leave the dinner and go pick them up and bring them back, but by the time we finished dinner, they had all the dogs out, and were doing a parade etc. If we left then it would have been over by the time we got back. Anyway we will put on the little things we bought and try to get pics.

Very busy at work this week, and travelling tomorrow to Cambridge Ontario, will be there late. Joy.

Hi to any later posters,

Take care,

Josie, hope you are winning in Vegas!

Deb, yeah, it's under grains. I clicked on the 3 types of spelt they had and I think that's where I read about other uses. they have some of strangest kinds of flour. Love to try some but no idea what most would be used for. I used to live somewhat near the store/mill and used to go there in person. it was a very nice place, about 25 yrs ago.

Lynda, my favorite time of year to hike is fall. colors are so lovely. no bugs. days are shorter though so need to plan more carefully.

I have a crate for my cat but they can be amazingly pesty even when confined. I use it for vet trips, and if we need to keep him in our camper for a while if we're getting some work done in the house, like floors. don't need him underfoot for workers.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, and Valerie--

This morning I did Bootcamp Boogie (63 min.).

Deb, I already have my new dvds! I can't believe how fast that was. I will do some previewing this afternoon and maybe try either Afterburn or Athletic Training tomorrow. From the time breakdown on Turbo barre, it looks like you could probably do the first three sections for a 30 min. workout, if that's what you are looking for, Deb. OR you could do the warmup and the Ballet Barre leg conditioning for a 40 min. workout. I'm not sure how I will use these. I thought I would try to do a yoga max or relax workout each week, though, just to see how much I like them. (I'm not much of a yoga person--too impatient.)

Went to see Ides of March. It's pretty predictable, politically speaking, but the acting is excellent, and plenty of eye candy with Clooney and Gosling. Giamatti is, as usual, brilliant. A really fun netflix with him in the main role is Win Win.

Off to do some previewing.

P.S. Josie, I have the spinning dvd. pm me about your address.

Clooney is one of my favorite actors. not hard on the eyes but he's usually in quality movies too. lots of buzz on gosling lately. I want to see Ides and also Driver. Just saw Win-Win and enjoyed it. also saw The Beaver and found if incredibly annoying and unsettling. just could not stand the mel gibson character who is obviously crazy as a loon. not saying any more , the disturbing part is not a big stretch. the whole movie annoyed me and usually I love anything with jodie foster.

Can't wait to hear your review of the disks. I don't expect anything for a few days... maybe thursday but maybe will be surprised. if Cathe's yoga is anything like the class I go to, you are gonna burn!

We did a mt bike yesterday that was quite hard, took 4 hours. we rode up the road with a chainsaw and tools to clear the blowdowns so we can ski the road after the snow falls. yes, most people would call us as nutty as mel gibson. today did a road bike 26 miles, and tho the forecast was for sunshine, it rained and hailed, and I don't think I've ever been wetter in my life. so miserable it was funny.

Good morning,

I got my DVD's yesterday as well. Not sure which to do first, I am looking at Cardio Supersets for cardio, also because it's the shortest. ;). I may have to pull up my puzzle mats to use the sliding disks which I am not too happy about. Especially since they are what is leveling my treadmill. The sliding disks are a lot nicer and better quality than I thought they would be. John thought they were frisbees and wondered what kind of workout had you doing frisbee stuff, then he LOL's that the frisbees had their own covers.

Garance, if you preview, give us some thoughts. I hate previewing DVD's, so boring. I thought you would do the barre one first for some reason.

Valerie, I have the spinning dvd if you still want it. PM your address. I bookmarked that Bob Red Mills site for future recipes with spelt. with all you do on bikes, or hiking, I don't see how you need to do anything else!

Off to Cambridge Ontario today to visit a customer, so I have to get moving and ready.

Hi to Joan, Josie ( in LV) and Cathy.

Take care,

Last edited:
Deb, PM is one the way. Hope you work out something with the floor. can you leave the treadmill on the puzzle mats clear the floor around it? I'm eager to get rid of my paper plates! we used to have industrial carpet but it got stinky so we ripped it up and put down wood look laminate. I have a big rubber mat under the treadmill so it doesn't move and to dampen any sound.

Deb, another site that I was thinking of that might have spelt recipes is the King Arthur site. I'll take a look.

Yes, they do. www.kingarthur.com they are in norwich vermont, so closer than Bob's. they have a few other recipes and also spelt flour. also a bunch of other comments but too many for me to look thru. they have everything for baking you can imagine. I get baking chocolate and cocoa from them regularly.

Last edited:

This morning I did Afterburn (54 min.). This is one tough workout and I was really sweating through it. It reminds me of the IMax step workouts, because there are 10 double rounds of HIIT. The disks are going to take some work. The easiest ones were the jacks and the mountain climbers with the disks. The walking planks and the spider walks were TOUGH! Worst was the burpees. I only did a few of these and then switched to pushups and plank work. I used a 12 lb. weight when Cathe says 15 and an 8 lb. weight when she says 10. Matched her on the 5s. Tomorrow I plan on doing the upper body split from the Trisets.

Deb, Max thinks these disks are frisbees, too, so John is not alone. At least John is not tempted to pick one up or to chew on it (Hah!). DH had to restrain Max this morning when I brought them out--PLAY TIME! I watched DWTS last night and thought Ricki Lake was good and the Iraq vet was probably the best. They both did the quick step. I am, however, rather bored with this show. I did a barre workout on Sunday, so I didn't want to start with that one. I may try to do the whole thing on Sunday next--74 min.

Getting wintry here, but I am such a wuss when it comes to the cold. DH laughed at me when I threatened to wear my faux fur.

No disks here yet. did yoga this morning and nothing else yet but I'm deciding. plan to hike tomorrow if the weather holds so don't want to get too burned.
Afterburn... I'm sure is one I ordered. good grief what is a burpee? spider walk? walking plank? I will find out soon enough. I assumed getting used to the disks would be a process. I liked paper plates so I thought they'd be fun. I'll bet Max could do great harm to the disks if left to his own devices.

IMO totally the right approach. reduce the weight at least the first time through... even if you previewed, I think it's better to get thru it all with lighter weight, rather than quit early because you're wiped out. not finishing causes a "dread factor" build up for me.

I've got my dvd's but haven't had time to look at them yet. I know I will go very light since it has been so long since I lifted.

Eyes are still bothering me but are better. Next appointment is Nov 2nd.

Joan

Good morning,

very tired today, I did not get home from my trip until 10:00 pm last night, that was a very long day. We took the client out for dinner, then the 2 hour drive home. ugh. Raining and horrible here today, just adds to the gloom. Sorry for being such a downer.

Valerie, got your PM with your address, responded. Thanks for the link, you can't have too many spelt recipes! I read on All Recipes that you should put the warm water in the breadmaker with the sugar/honey, let is sit for 10 minutes before putting in the other ingredients and it should make a higher lighter loaf. I'm going to try that next time. Bread in a bread maker is very "iffy" sometimes. I will have to remove the puzzle mats entirely, and just put a 3 piece section under the deck legs of the treadmill when I use it. ( it's one of those where the deck folds up). Maybe I can skip using the treadmill for a while and use the supposed cardio workouts from this series. As for Afterburn, did you see the clip? They show all those moves, very scary.

Joan, I'm with you. I will probably start really light so I can finish a workout, then work my way up. I think I'll start, hopefully Sunday. Haven't figured out a rotation yet. I hope they find out a solution for your eyes. Sending you good thoughts.

Garance, I hate Burpees, can't do them even without disks! I will probably modify. WTG on the weights! Must be that STS does make you stronger. I am such a wimp right now. Too bad there wasn't a PuppyMax workout.

off for more coffee so I can stay awake at work today.

This morning I did the upper body split on Total Body Trisets (56 min.). This is an excellent upper body workout with a lot of new twists to test the core on the stability ball. I went somewhat lighter again on the weights, but on the second try, I also went up if I felt comfortable with the move. There are also quite a few pushups, although she just tells you to do your own on these if you cannot do them. I tried all of them, with varying degrees of success (pretty good on the dive bombers, fumbling on the leg crosses). One exercise I absolutely could not do was triceps kickbacks while holding a plank with the other arm. One complaint: the music on this one is just plain awful, just a bunch of screeching heavy metal guitars that don't really support the reps AT ALL. I really cannot figure out why she chose this music. I think there is a way to get rid of the music altogether, which I may try. I tend to just ignore the music if I don't like it.

So, tomorrow I will try Low Impact Challenge and let you know what I think.

Deb, I could only do a couple of those burpees, so I just held a plank after I pooped out. They really are nuts with those disks. My legs were burning. Maybe I will get better on them if I keep on trying.

Valerie, as Deb said, you really can see some of those moves on the clips Cathe prepared. I will be interested to know how well you do on Afterburn and whether all your work on paper plates has helped.

Back from our hike. it was 6 miles RT but fairly difficult. there was a lot of half melted ice and when it's steep uphill or downhill you have to be very careful and work around the icy sections. it was harder on the way down than the way up! a good workout. hiking season maybe drawing to a close. one good storm and things get much more difficult and we switch to snowshoes or skis.

Joan, so sorry to hear about the eye problems. I used to be on low grade antibiotics, for years actually. is that the approach here? since I have rosacea too, I'm afraid to look it up and see what might be in the future. can't even tell I have it right now, I had such good results with the laser.

No disks yet. I tend to be a worrier so I'll just wait til I get the disks to see what burpees are. I can't picture doing a kickback in a plank position. yipes... I'm modifying in my head and I don't even have them yet! I'm sure at the beginning of the disk there's (usually) an option to turn off the music. mostly it's "white noise" to me, unless, of course, it's truly awful. then I'd turn it off too.

Deb, the ingredients for 10 min in the breadmaker.... is the yeast in there too? usually that's called "proofing" the yeast. making sure your yeast is good and active. it should be bubbly and foamy by the end of 10. if it's not, then you can start with new yeast and not waste all the ingredients and time if the yeast won't perform. no rise if the yeast is not active anymore. sometimes happens if it wasn't stored properly, is too old, etc.

Good morning,

Up a little before 4:00, still exhausted and not having any desire to try a workout yet. Maybe start the week on Sunday and see how it goes into next week. I cannot use the dogs as an excuse any longer, as I think if I get them up with me, they will do their business and I can put Kylee in the downstairs crate while I do my workout. She will usually go back to sleep after going outside for maybe a half hour to 45 minutes more. Keegan is fine. I just always hope I can get back to sleep for another half to one hour, but it never happens anyway.

Garance, I was planning on doing the Tri-Set workout as my weight work for the week, then interspersing it with the cardio one. I think she went pretty slanted to weight work in this series, even the cardio uses weights and your body weight, so not true cardio. I don't mind though. I usually ignore the music too, I remember I didn;t like the music at all in STS. It was supposed to be this great creative stuff that didn't even go with the reps in the workouts like they "created" it to do.

Valerie, what will you do when the weather really gets bad and you can't bike or hike? Yes, the bread recipe called for the yeast to be put in the warm water with the sugar and sit for 10 minutes before adding the other ingredients. Supposed to activate the yeast for a lighter loaf of bread. We'll see.

Nothing new here, rain, rain and more rain. Our backyard is a swamp.

Take care,

This morning I did Low Impact Challenge (51 min.). This is 36 min. of step, which starts out really easy in the warmup, remains fairly unchallenging for the next few blocks of choreo, and then gets a bit difficult. After putting together all of the combos once, she has a blast section for 10.5 min. and a cooldown stretch. I know that some of you don't like step, so I have a feeling you might not do this one, but you could do the warmup and maybe the first combo, and then the Blast, which is a no-brainer, and you would probably have a 30 min. workout. I really liked this one because I like step for cardio, and I like the challenge of memorizing some more difficult choreo (good for the brain and coordination). I also feel like I worked up a good sweat on this one. Tomorrow I think I will try the Yoga Max because I did a lot of cardio and weights this week.

Deb, I think Afterburn is principally Cardio. My heartrate was way up on this one. She has three 30 min. express workouts on this one that might be perfect for your cardio days. I still haven't previewed Athletic Training or Cardio Supersets, but I see that she uses only 5s and 8s, and there's 2 premixes that are only 26 min. on Cardio Supersets. I just am amazed at all the options on these disks. It's raining here, too, and they are threatening snow, but DH thinks the weathermen are always wrong and just like to scare people.

Good for you on the hike, Valerie!

I was wrong, my box DID come yesterday. the postal person must have circled back and left it on the porch later in the day. I had forgotten what I ordered. Afterburn, and Slide and Glide along with the glide disks.
I am completely unable to "step" so didn't order anything with any. Even LBB has some step in the warm up and I can't, though I try every time. once anyone starts turning around and doing footwork, forget it.... just call me "Trigger". I went to yoga this morning and have a lunch get together today so not sure if I'll have time to do anything else.

Deb, when we can't hike or bike, we switch to xc skiing and snowshoeing. no snow yet except for really good backcountry skiers..... not me! plenty of snow up high already for those who want to hike to it carrying boots and skis. mt biking works later in the season too. treadmill, elliptical, any Cathe cardio. Hopefully we will get a spin bike sometime soon and that will be good for cardio.
I didn't think I was a big Oprah fan, but since she's gone I am disappointed by the options. I'm in the habit of working out in the block of 3-5 while dinner was in process. kept me from snacking too. but Anderson and Ellen and Oz are not really watchable for me. I didn't always like what Oprah had and wasn't a daily watcher but I miss her show.

Lynda, I tried afterburn this afternoon. holy cow. parts were not at all bad, however, burpees and those straddle pushups dragging yourself forward and backward, well, in my next life, maybe. I think the mt climbers and spider man things are OK. not the fast parts, I kept steady pace. I did OK with the disks but my feet don't stop... they just slide until I'm flat on the floor. so I did the whole disk but will have to modify those until I figure out a way to control my feet. this may be my odd feet. in yoga, they go in ways and directions nobody has seen before. I also reduced weight. I'm not sure how much I like it though. it seemed to go from fairly easy moves to impossible, and back again. I'll let it rest and review a few of the moves in the chapters. it took a while since I wasn't familiar with many of the moves and I just stick it in and started.

Happy Friday Ladies,

Vegas was fun, but I'm glad to be back. I have not worked out since Sunday and feel fat and out of shape. Vegas is not a good place to eat clean! I did come back with some money and will probably be using it for Christmas presents.

I will be either going to my bar class and spinning or on a bike ride on Saturday. I have not made up my mind yet. On Sunday I will be going to the bar class.

Garance, sorry to sound dumb, but how do I send a PM.

Josie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.