Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/16

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning!

Dinner was great last night, except they did not prepare my favorite meal the way they used to do so I was a little disappointed, but not by much!

Going to try to get a weight workout of some kind in today, maybe do a KCM 30 minute one or something. I have to get back into it, gaining weight and not fitting into clothes is not making me happy.

Off to get more coffee, to hopefully wake up and start doing some stuff around here.....

take care,

Good morning,

Still just walking every day.

I finally had time to look at video of new series. They look hard and I like the shorter premixes.

Joan

Hey,

Joan, how are you doing otherwise?

I ended up doing KCM's Circuit Burn.. It felt pretty good, only burned 178 calores though. :)

Hi Deb, Joan, and any later posters--

This morning I did P-57 vol. 1 (57 min.).

Happy anniversary, Deb! I think I read somewhere that the estimated calorie burns on these new workouts is pretty high. I should check the blog I guess.

How are your eyes, Joan? Did you see a doctor about the pain?

The Liebeslieder Walzer ("Love Song Waltzes") were really beautiful. The music was Brahms, four couples, first in period costumes, and then in the second half, much more ballet like dresses for the ballerinas. They also shifted from ballroom heels to ballet slippers. According to Balanchine, the first half was meant to be "real" couples dancing, while the second half it is their souls--ethereal, magical, ephemeral as love. Makes DWTS look ludicrous.

Josie, I went to Borrego Springs in December, and it was absolutely lovely.

Good morning,

Today I did a 30 minute I-Tread, and it just about killed me. I am so out of shape.

Garance, that ballet sounds wonderful.

Valerie, I make bread in a breadmaker with spelt flour. It is a very dense bread, great for toast.

Joan, I'm with you, I will probably end up doing most of the shorter pre-mixes in the new series. I cannot do an hour workout any longer, especially at 4:15 am!

Hi to Josie, & Cathy ( are you still checking in?).

Take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, and Valerie--

This morning I did KCM's TLC, both workouts with 1 lb. gloves (60 min.).

Good for you, Deb, that you managed to get a workout in this morning. Has the "vixen" decided to sleep the night through?

I cannot wait for these new workouts. It looks like there are tons of premixes to choose from, and while I am usually looking for something 45 min. or more--up to 70 at the most, usually 60--if they are really hard, I will probably go with the shorter premixes.

Valerie, your hike sounds fantastic! So much wildlife to see. We have wild turkeys here that are very bold, and the usual winter birds, but things are pretty quiet now.

ttfn

The doctor said the ducts are blocked and they usually were the consistency of oil but mine are like crisco. He thinks the sharp pain I had a week ago was one of the ducts breaking open and that's why I felt better afterwards. This causes dry eyes and with the ulcers on the inside of my eyelids it's no wonder I had pain. Although a lot of the discomfort is the need for new glasses. I still hope I don't have to replace them every 6 months. I thought they were feeling a lot better but they are bothering me tonight. I may just be extra tired. I had kids from 7:30 until 7:00.

Joan

Good morning,

I could complain about how tired I am, but what else is new? Puppy class last night, the vixen was a "terror".

Garance, she is sleeping around 7 hours, give or take. Last night Keegan woke me up at 11:30 to go out, so of course all 3 of us had to go out. it took me a long time to go back to sleep, and then John woke up at 5:00 and took them both downstairs, but I was awake so I got up.

Joan, why won't you get new glasses?

Cold here today, but at least it's not raining. Hi to anyone else that drops by!

Hi all, I'm back. our hike saturday was so lovely, we decided to repeat it, sort of. we loafed on sunday morning, and then threw a few things in the camper and drove to another area sunday afternoon. stayed there overnight and did another fantastic hike monday morning, east of where we were saturday. we could see where saturday's hike was but a vast roadless area of mountains and valleys in between. larch trees were all golden yellow with snow on the peaks. they look like giant yellow candles and are so pretty. they'll be gone soon, blown off with the next storm. Larch time is a special time to hike here. Did another 6-7 miles. it had been busy over the weekend so the snow was pounded, melted & refrozen into ice on the trail, but took microspikes ( like yaktrax ) so no traction problems. Sunny, warm in the sun, and lovely. saw some bear tracks but no bear. deer hunting season started saturday so for the first days we stick to parks.

Deb, I used to make bread all the time but never made spelt bread. I'd probably like it but I don't eat very much bread.... a casualty of calorie cutting. I still could make it occasionally. I have a bread maker. always started the bread in it and finished it manually. could you post the recipe sometime? no rush.

Joan 12+ hour days baby sitting would be hard... incredibly hard. how many days of the week ? sorry, one day would be too much for me. hope your eyes settle down. is this rosacea related? I have rosacea but no eye problems ...heard of them, though.. just the flushing and skin issues which have completely settled down since my laser treatment a few yrs ago. hope this settles down for you with treatment.

Lynda, I'm looking forward to the new workouts too. I will try to remember to look at the pre mixes. I usually load the disk and do the workout and don't look for alternatives but if these are lots of new moves it might be easier to learn them in smaller doses.

I asked my brother to send me a copy of his latest labs. he has T2 diabetes among other things. Not good numbers. he is in for trouble if he doesn't get things under better control. both brother & sister have it. I sent my sister a letter offering to pay for her to go to Weight Watchers. she has no money, no job, pretty much no life. I think WW might be good for her.

Good morning,

I'm late for "work" but I don't care.

I can't get new glasses until other problem is taken care of because it is making my eyesight worse. He won't test until the 3 weeks is up. the rosacea is the entire cause of it.

I will leave at 7:30 and dil will pick them up at 4:45 most days. Yesterday they went to counseling so they picked up kids late. But she is 15-30 minutes late half the time.

Joan

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, and Joan--

This morning I did KCM's Split Sessions, both upper and lower body (60 min.).

Joan, I had no idea that rosacea affected the eyes. I thought it was entirely a flushing issue. Sorry you are experiencing this kind of pain.

Deb, so now the vixen is also a holy terror. Makes me wonder about whether I really want another puppy when I retire. Max was so easy that it probably lulled me into thinking all puppies are like him.

Valerie, I am going to preview every disk before trying them. I want to know what kind of problems they may pose for this old, decrepit body of mine. I'm not 45 (Cathe's age) anymore.

Hi to Josie!

Went to yoga this morning, a tough class. she was trying to get us to locate our rhomboids. I have good ones that firm right up and are fairly easy to isolate. but I thank cathe's workouts for making them "find-able". I've always been unsure which were the rhomboids but now I know, assuming my yoga instructor is right. cobra pose really isolates them best for me. I'm getting much more out of yoga than I used to. there is more muscle involvement if you work at it.

I told DH that I felt like the "odd one out" when everyone here talks about their favorite restaurants. I go to lunch at a run-of-the-mill mexican place with a couple friends 2-3x times a year, but DH and I haven't eaten out by ourselves in years. so many restaurants (here) seem to have done something so that noise level is not controlled. it's deafening! the last time we went to dinner ( family get together for new years or something) you couldn't converse with the person next to you, let alone across the table. well reviewed, new, good restaurant but the volume was unbearable. I was hoarse and had a headache by the time we left.

Good morning,

Woke up at 3:30, let the dogs out and have been awake ever since.
coffee.gif

Had a nice dinner with my brother and SIL last night. They had us over for John's birthday, a little belated.

Valerie, I am still amazed at the hiking you and your dH do. Here is the recipe. I use the express bake setting ( 80 minutes). DH and I need to start limiting our eating out. It's hard when working, and getting up so early. I do not feel like cooking anything when I get home.

Spelt Bread Recipe
This is such an easy recipe for the bread maker, plus it tastes very wheat-like:
Ingredients
1 1/4 cup water
1 1/2 t yeast
2 T oil ( I used Safflower oil, but it probably doesn't matter what kind)
2 T Honey
4 cups whole spelt flour ( I use multi-grain spelt, but white works just as well )
1 1/2 t salt
Directions
1. Put all ingredients in the breadmaker in the order listed. ( yeast goes in the water for spelt bread rather than in the flour like you do for wheat)
2. set the bread maker on regular white loaf ( I use the express setting, which may be the white bread one, on others)
3. Enjoy!

Garance, the second puppy is usually easier, as it has the first to follow etc. This is true for Kylee with a lot of things. She has been the easiest to house train, but she is the one with the most energy, and the devil in her. She is smart as a whip too, which is why she gets into everything, her curiosity gets the better of her. Also the most fearless puppy we have ever had. Are you still watching DWTS? I didn't watch this week's yet. I have it taped and hope to watch tonight.

Joan, I am not sure I would have the energy to babysit all those hours, and still try to work.

Off to shower etc, ..take care

Hi Ladies,

I ended up spinning on Saturday and Sunday. The group changed the rout on me at the last minute to PCH and I don't like going up that way. There is too much traffic. I went to my bar class last night and will be spinning today.

The official training for ALC 11 starts this Saturday. I'm excited!

Deb, the bread sounds yummy!

Valerie, your legs must be so strong! You do a lot of hiking.

Joan, I get so tired when my grandkids are here for a week. I don't know how you do it.

We are going to Las Vegas to celebrate my DD 21st birthday and my DH's 58th. I can't wait to get away from this office. Wish me luck; I need some mad money for the holiday's :)

Josie

This morning I did Just Dance (51 min.).

Gloomy and windy here.

Deb, I really only catch snatches of DWTS. Cannot seem to get into it. I have been watching the X Factor, though, so I do have my "reality" fix. There's a brand of bread that makes spelt, but I've never tried it. I haven't made bread since my Home-ec class in 8th grade. Boy, was that a mess. I over-kneaded it and it came out like something you could unwind after it was baked. Max was already house trained and crate trained when we brought him home at 3 1/2 mos. Too easy. I bet he would love a dog companion though.

Valerie, that's too bad about your restaurant experience. The restaurants we have here are really very conversation-friendly.

Good luck, Josie, in Vegas! I have never been there. Don't really know how to gamble anyway, but it might be fun to learn.

Good morning,

Keegan woke us up at 4:00 to go out, thankfully John took them both downstairs and I got some more sleep.

Garance, Carson was voted off Tuesday, I guess it was deserved, but there are others that need to go too, like Chaz, and Nancy Grace. The actor from All My Children is the best and the one I want to see win.

Josie, WIN, WIN, WIN!!

Still raining and cool here. I have had enough rain to last the rest of the year.

Off to get ready to leave for work, take care all.

This morning I did Squeeze (57 min.).

Deb, I will try to watch DWTS next week and see if I have any favorites. I think the show has worn out its novelty for me. After some rain this morning, the sun decided to come blazing out, and it's warm, too--68 degrees. Sounds like a cooldown is headed our way for the weekend.

ttfn

thanks for the recipe Deb. I don't have any spelt around, not sure what it is! will take a look. I haven't made bread for a while. was making focaccia pretty regularly but I can't leave it alone so I quit making it. but I am pretty experienced with bread and yeast baking in general so if I can find spelt I'll give it a try.
Went on another hike yesterday. was supposed to be 6 miles RT but we both agreed it was longer than that. the "trail" has not been maintained, worse than it was 10 years ago. most of the trail is fine but there's about 3/4 mile that is in awful shape, with huge blowdowns, giant trees to crawl over, all tangled up. it's a typical NW forest but we all have to pay for trail passes and that was supposed to pay for clean up of this sort of thing. apparently not in all cases. ... it was easier on the way down than up since climbing over a 4 ft diameter log is easier when you are uphill from it. Still lovely when we got up to the top near mt Shuksan. it's a very famous and much photographed peak. saw some mt goats far away and some grouse and some frogs so not a big wildlife day. a herd of elk on the drive home but they were in a populated area so don't count.

the restaurants, I don't get it. noise is not a problem in smaller ethnic places like mexican or thai. It's the big bucks places that seem to have subscribed to the idea that if a little noise is good, a lot will be better. I hate it & would rather not go at all. I'm not exaggerating.

Yoga this morning and another tough day. she seems to be toughening up on us but it's fun, nobody takes it too seriously and we laugh a lot.

Josie, yes, I have strong legs. I get sore sometimes but only for a day. For me, it's important to do exercise regularly that lasts longer than an hour. the 6+ hr hikes (at a lower intensity) seem to have a different fitness component to me. and the only thing that seems to prepare me for long hikes is hiking. treadmill, or Cathe stuff doesn't help too much. but then, when you do long bike rides it's the same thing. if you can do a century ride you legs (and your butt) must be tough!
Best of luck in Vegas... I've never won a thing so can't make useful suggestions.
Where's Joan, didn't she win some $$? maybe she has a success formula.

Good morning all,

Still raining here, I feel like we need to build an ark. The ground in our yard cannot take any more rain, huge puddles everywhere, the grass is like a swamp. Great when little dogs have to go out.

Garance, I sure hope we get your nice weather tomorrow. I could use a little sunshine right now.

Valerie, we get the spelt flour at our local co-op. I'm sure it would be available at a Whole Foods market. It is much less expensive if you get it in bulk. The recipe I posted is for a bread maker. I am not sure if it would work the old fashioned way.

Anyone have any plans for the weekend? Our dog club is having our annual member appreciation dinner, ( bbq catered), and making it a combination doggy Halloween party. I am not sure if we will be taking the dogs. I can't imagine having a good time with having to hold or watch the vixen every minute. We do have a couple of cute dog pumpkin outfits though.

Hi to Josie, Joan & Cathy,

Take care,

Yes Deb, we have the rain now too. rained lightly most of the day yesterday and supposed to rain today and tomorrow. usually it doesn't rain very hard, just for a long time. It gets dismal after a while. Sounds like a bad place to take an excitable puppy! no fun for anyone if you have to sit on her the whole evening.

Unless I know I'll make it, often I'll go with a small amount of flour. can you sub it in anywhere else but bread? I have a reg bread machine. I use it to mix the dough and sometimes let it rise for a while but I never liked bread baked in a bread machine so at some point I take the dough out and let it rise in a reg bread pan and then into the oven. the reg stores here have Bob's Red Mill products... (whole grain company near Portland) He probably has spelt flour. they have everything else! there are a couple co-ops I can try if I like it enough to make it regularly. I eat little bread these days probably just for a special treat.

Did most of GS back/ bicep and got a phone call from my mother. got distracted, didn't quite finish the workout and burned dinner besides when I didn't hear the timer go off. great evening.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.