Pentagenarians & Beyond w/b 10/10

JoanC

Cathlete
I didn't see another new thread so started us off.

Mil is back in the hospital. We drove over last night. Three hour round trip and she wasn't awake but it did make bil feel better. We got call this morning and I thought he would say she was dead. Fortunately she did wake up. I guess she has taken so many antibiotics the last few years that she has a "super bug" They are treating it with new antibiotics but they are much stronger. Dh and bil decided to take her to bigger hospital this time.

Joan

Hi Joan and any later posters--

This morning I did Christi Taylor's Dance to be Fit (70 min.).

Thanks, Joan, for starting the thread. Deb is off in Washington D.C. for a few days and requested that someone take over this duty. Sorry about your mil. How old is she? Gosh, I hope I have a decent old age.

DH and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary last night. Married on October 10, 1980. Where has the time gone? I know it's a cliche, but it just feels like it has gone so fast. We went out to dinner. I had a lovely spinach, pear, parmigiano-reggiano cheese, and duck prosciutto salad and paella. Brought half of the paella home. Also a Manhattan.

Hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend. I may go check out some sales tomorrow. I need new black leather gloves for winter.

ttfn

Hi all. Joan, sorry about MIL. Hope the next level of antibiotics works.

I did GS legs( standing part only) and GS chest triceps on friday. yep, I'm sore but not ridiculous. I knew I'd be, so planned for the day off following. took sat off though we've painting the laundry room/bathroom and re-doing the floor so not exactly lounging around. finished the painting today. ridiculous fussy work. hadn't been done in 20+ yrs so no question it was needed. Will be hiking tomorrow.
Lynda, we watched the swedish movie last night and I'm forgetting the name. It was quite good and well acted. I'd like to watch it again. subtitles were OK to follow, but all the visual stuff in swedish ...well, it's a whole lot harder to follow compared to french or spanish or italian. I should read the book(s). some confusion for me but not bad.

Remodeling update- I needed to touchup the chair rail in dining room before priming bottom half. Dh gets open can of forest green paint from garage and comes in to see if color is right. He walks through family room and get splotches of paint on my almost white and pale blue sofa (looks beachy and I didn't get it until kids were grown) and on the hardwood floors in dining room. I will come here to vent rather than yelling at him. I know it's not his fault. Although I wish he had noticed it.

Joan

Hi Joan and Valerie--

This morning I did Petra Kolber's Just Dance (51 min.).

Then I baked an apple cake that made the house smell heavenly. I have a friend with a lot of apple trees, so I have several pounds and will probably make a lot of apple sauce, but this recipe looked so good I had to try it. DH came in at one point and said he could smell it all the way up at the wood processor.

Valerie, it's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The second one is about to be released on DVD--The Girl who Played with Fire. I enjoyed both of them and am looking forward to the last one--The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Loved the books because of Lisbeth Salander.

Joan, I would be very upset if my DH did that. It's quite enough that he "sheds" wood chips, hay, leaves on a daily basis.

Happy Columbus Day!

Lynda, All I could think of was "Hornet's Nest"... one of those brain block things, I knew it wasn't the right title. Yes, it was quite good. the girl who plays Lisbeth is excellent and she looks realistic, "cathe" fit. I always laugh at these skinny armed women who don't look like they could lift 5 lbs of flour doing BIG strength stunts. angelina jolie comes to mind. I don't want to sound bit*chy but she has the skinniest little stick arms.

anyway, did our hike yesterday, it was lovely. we've had a good stretch of lovely weather coinciding with our days off. rained like crazy sat and sun but monday was great. wed will be nice too. even the weekend might be OK tho it's opening day for general deer season so a good time to be in a park. too many gun crazy wackos shooting at anything that moves.

we're doing painting too joan, the laundry room & an adjoining bathroom. very hard... lots of cabinets, toilet, washer/dryer, fixtures to work around. DH steped in paint drips and didn't take his shoes off and walked thru half the house before I noticed the footprints. got it before it dried so no biggie. more than half the job is prepping and cleaning up. but I hear you on the sofa!

Hi Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did an oldie--Squeeze (58 min.). My shoulders were screaming by the time she was finished with them. I forgot how much little 2 lb. weights could do. The leg work was not too bad, I think because it's like P-57 and I have grown accustomed to this type of work.

I looked at another Cathe clip for the lower body, and wow, it's more jumping. Yikes! I really wish she would at least think about doing something low impact for a change.

Valerie, The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is the last one of the three books and has not yet been released here as a movie. I really dread the American versions of these films. Apparently an unknown will be playing Lisbeth, but Daniel Craig will be Blomquist.

Paper grading again (sigh!).

Hi Ladies,

I will do my weight training and cardio today. It has been very busy around here and today we have a lunch/meeting that will take us away from our work for 2.5 hours. And our boss wonders why we are behind! He goes over the same things at every meeting.

I will be back later if I get a minute.

Josie

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Jazzercise Dancin' Abs (60 min.).

Looks like everyone is very busy. I have another meeting this afternoon and I just hope it does not last for 2 1/2 hours. I feel your pain, Josie.

Finally looks like my older son is setting a marriage date.

Are you back Deb? Or still enjoying fall weather in D.C.?

howdy, howdy, howdy

whew!! wore out. yesterday did Fat Blaster, then met dil at park and played with kids, came home, napped, g/daughters stayed. we rode last nite, rode all morning, and now i'm dead.

tomorrow is Bible study in the am and then a fundraiser in the pm. hope to get my w/out in somewhere.

Went on another gorgeous hike yesterday. Was 75 degrees up high sitting in the sunshine, and blueberries. Some guys charged past us carrying skis up onto the glacier but we looked and did not think there was enough new snow to cover the ice and crevasses yet. we're not good enough skiers to ski that kind of stuff regardless of new snow. Also got a pretty close look at a black bear who probably got spooked by some other people on the trail and was heading toward us. we made some noise & he changed direction, just like all good bears should. a lovely day.
will do a backpack this weekend unless some kind of snafu happens. so weird, the weather has been kind to us in october after being mean to us in aug and sept.

Lynda, I bought a cope of Dragon Tattoo at Costco the other day. usually books are better than movies so I have high hopes. Congrats on the son setting a date. Will this be a big shebang or a small quiet wedding?
Deb are you back from D.C. yet?

My wrist got sore again after doing pushups in GS. will need to work around those for a while.

Hi Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Ellen Barrett's Slim Sculpt (45 min.).

Grrr--another meeting that lasted 2 1/2 hours yesterday. Talk about beating a dead horse and doing it so haltingly. What really irritates me is someone saying, "I will be brief," and then talking for a solid 10 minutes with enough ums and ers to fill half of those.

Valerie, I do think the books are better than the films, although I also believe it takes awhile to get into the first one. You already know Harriet is still alive, so I wonder how much suspense there will be for you. Wish I could go for a hike with Maxie, and I would have at least gone for a walk yesterday afternoon if I had not been paralyzed in a meeting until 6:30. Now it sounds like we're getting high winds and rain tomorrow to spoil the foliage and remind us that winter is just around the corner. Not sure how big the party will be for wedding. It's going to be in Napa Valley and I have nothing to do with the planning. Just the money--$10,000.

NYC Ballet will be here tomorrow, so I will be going to see a Balanchine piece tomorrow night.

Hi Ladies,

I went spinning last night. It was so humid here that I left a big puddle of sweat on the floor. It was embarrassing because I sweat as much as the men in the class. Most of the women were barley wet.

Garance, there was another meeting today at 10-11:30 AM and I told my boss that I was too busy and was able to get out of it. If we did not have so many meetings we would be able to catch up on all of our work.

Valerie, my friend went hiking this past weekend and also saw a bear. She said that she was so scared that her knees were shaking.

Cathy, you are an Amazon! You work out so much and have a very busy life.

Hi Deb, I guess that you are not back yet.

HI Joan!

Josie, bears are generally not a problem for hikers unless they associate food and humans. my first bear sighting I was terrified but I've seen plenty now and love to see them. one hike in the Olympics we saw so many bears we stopped counting. we were usually outnumbered! many bears with cubs, 2 or 3 usually. Of course, there are times and situations when they can be dangerous & troublesome but generally just a nice part of the scenery.

Too funny.. DH sweats like crazy. we can do the same activity and the same speed, wearing the same clothing and he is puddling, dripping, clothing soaked, and I'm dry and comfortable but need to pee. all liquid in me goes to making pee. we're all different.

Lynda, I don't mind knowing Harriet is alive. I don't know how interconnected the novels are, so thought I should start with the first to see if I like his writing, can get the story basics etc.

Friday

Good morning all,

Washington was beautiful, sunny, warm and low humidity. I think it was around 70-75 the whole time we were there. We went to the Postal museum on Sunday, ( it is more interesting than you would think), ate a lot of good food, Lebanese, Thai, etc. Then of course work had to get in there an wreck everything. I took today off to spend it with my friend. Her mother is now in Hospice care. She is still at home with my friend, but she sleeps all the time and refuses to eat. My friend feels guilty about calling in Hospice, and she told me last night that she feels like she is starving her. She is doing the right thing, and needs reassurance that she made the right decision.

I really miss working out, my toe is still bothering me, I can't wear a shoe yet.

Joan, hope your MIL is better. Thanks for starting the thread. I would have killed my DH if he got paint on a couch.

Garance, Happy Anniversary! DH & I celebrated our 26th on Wednesday, if me working in a meeting all day at a hotel and him doing his own thing can be called celebrating. I really wish I could get into those Girl with the Dragon Tatoo etc series. I have started the first one twice now and cannot get beyond 30 pages or so. Someone told me that you have to get beyond the first 100 pages then it gets really good. I think some of the new DVD's have low impact pre-mixes, but I agree, the clips make it look like it is all jumping etc.

Valerie, Let me know when you read the first book in that series, how long it takes to "get good". LOL

Josie, yep, meetings are great, mostly whatever the meeting is about can be done in 20 minutes. Why do they last 2 hours?

Cathy, you are pretty busy! How is the land purchase going?

Back in a bit, I need to get some breakfast.

Take care,

Welcome home Deb. Sounds like a great trip. Fall is my favorite season.
I've never heard a bad thing about Hospice. they do an amazing job and are there to answer the difficult questions and to support you when the course of events is what it is. I have not personally needed them ( yet) but DH always says good things about the group.
Hope your toe improves, what a long stretch. haven't had time to even look at the book yet. I'm known for buying books and then not reading them until a year later!

My wrist is till not happy with pushups but I can do a work-around for almost everything else. took yesterday off and will do upper body and core today so my legs get another day of rest before the backpack this weekend. We're going to do the trip that keeps eluding us if I get a good response from the park service late this afternoon. we can't sign up by phone, "in person" is at least a 2 hr drive. last time no one was signed up late friday, and by the time we drove thru saturday am at 6:00 all the spots were taken. there are only 5 campsites, restricted numbers so it doesn't get over used. DH gets home too late for us to drive up friday evenings. weather looks good but it's later in the season, colder and nights get long so generally less popular.

Lynda, our anniversary is coming up soon... Dec... I'm forgetting how many years. 33 I think. It's right before christmas, always gets lost in the holiday craziness. congrats on yours!

Welcome back Deb.

It probably won't make your friend feel any better but people stop eating before they die because it makes it not hurt. Or at least that is what I read. I used to audit a nursing home and learned all sorts of things.

Joan

Hi Deb (welcome back!), Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Step Moves (44 min.).

Washington D.C. sounds lovely this time of year. We were there over New Year's one year and I've been there in the fall and late summer. I just love the place. Deb, yes, you have to be patient with the first one in the series of "The Girl ..." books, but once you get into them, they are hard to put down. Valerie, they are very interconnected and chiefly concern gradual revelations about Lisbeth Salander--her past and how she came to be such a victim.

Pouring rain here today. Teaching all afternoon and then the ballet tonight.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Saturday

Good morning,

I just got back from agiliity class, my toe hurts somewhat, but not as badly as I thought it would. I wore a Ked's type sneaker so there was not a lot of squeezing like there would have been with a regular Ryka or running type.

It's a beautiful fall day here today, the sun is shining, 50 degrees and the leaves are all golden or red.

what is everyone up to today?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.