Pentagarians & Beond: W/B 2/28

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Today I did a Body For Life leg workout. 45 minutes and 237 calories burned. It is kind of nice doing something that is not Cathe. I had a long conversation with the man that will be remodeling our bathroom yesterday morning. Things are starting to pull together. Still some decisions to make, eg do we want a whirlpool tub or a regular one.. Does anyone have a whirlpool tub? do you actually use it?

Garance, I like the Slow & Heavy workout, there are no pre-mixes on the DVD, it's basically all 3 workouts on one dVD and there is that mix & match option, if you want to do one or 2 body parts etc. After looking at it again, I may use this series in a future rotation.

Hi to Josie, Cathy, Joan & Valerie, hope you are having a great weekend!

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did Christi Taylor's Fit to Dance (70 min.).

It's actually pretty nice here today, despite the continual light snowfall. I am staying at home this afternoon in order to make my pork fricassee one day in advance of dinner tomorrow. I like stews when they have a chance to sit for awhile. We will be going out later for dinner.

Yes, Deb, I am now thinking about a SH rotation, maybe after spring break. Nope, don't have a whirlpool. I am a simple shower girl, in an out. We do have a double sink, though, and we put it at kitchen height, which I much prefer to the lower bathroom height.

I almost finished my grading yesterday afternoon--one more paper to do, but then I have another set coming in on Tuesday. It's Gulliver's Travels and A Modest Proposal by Swift this week, and poems by Plath and Hughes.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

Hi ladies,

I will measure tonight and weigh tomorrow. I hope I can start losing weight and exercising.

We have a whirlpool tub. Make sure you have access to the motor in case it stops working. We wanted faucet on far side to make getting in easier but was told not to because you turn on water before you get in and it would be too far to reach. They were right, but it would still be easier to get in if faucet were at one end instead of the middle. We don't use it much. It is a large two person tub and takes a lot of water to fill and the water cools pretty quickly so you really don't soak too long. I am glad we put in heat lamp above tub. It did help warm the area.

I agree that the higher toilet height is great. I'm short so I like "normal" counter height. We have double sink but only use one of them. We never get ready at the same time. Of course we also have separate shower. I went from tile to marble so there are no grout lines that can fail.

Joan

Last edited:
Monday

Good morning!

I did a 35 minute I-Tread this morning, 273 calories burned...whew!

It's the start of another week, I hope we have some better weather. It got above freezing yesterday and things started to melt.

Garance, where did you get the port recipe? I too, just take showers, but the thought of a big tub and soak sounds heavenly, I am not really sure how much I would actually take the time to do it though. That's why I am leaning towards a regular tub/shower. The new tubs out now are so shallow, it's like your standing in a pan of water. When is spring break? maybe we can do S&H together.

Joan, thanks for the info on the whirlpool..see above, I think we will pass and just get the regular tub/shower. Our bathroom is really small and I think it would take up too much space. We are getting that Swan stone stuff for inside the whole tub/shower area, no tile so no grout except where it meets the tub. I am also getting epoxy grout which is supposed to stay clean, my contractor said it is more than the floor tiles cost, I told him I didn;t care. With the amount of money and time I have spent on grout cleaners it would be worth it. How is your Mom doing? Does she like the new chair?

Hi to Valerie, Cathy & Josie! Take care!

Deb, we have a whirlpool too. we use it, though not as much as when we first got it. Joan is right about motor access. ours has a wooden door access so it's not buried behind tile or something. Joan is also correct that it doesn't stay warm as long as you would think, and ours pretty much drains the hot water tank. our controls are in the middle on the long side. you would not want the faucet on an end, pouring in over someones shoulder. so I like it, but if I had it to do over again .... I prefer the outdoor tub. I love soaking in warm water and the outdoor tub is usable ( in this climate) most of the year. Summer doesn't get much use so we drain it, but fall, winter, spring we use it regularly. It's always ready, you can re-use the water for months before changing, and once you get a treatment program that works, it's not that much work. Our particular brand tub has been a bit of a headache, I'm waiting for service on it right now, the heater died.
I'd get ANYTHING before grouted tile. Argh. it's never clean, it's not possible. It looked new for about a week and I've been fruitlessly scrubbing ever since. we have a big step in shower with a sliding glass door, no regular tub. I love the size, I'd never get a regular bathtub again. we have double sinks but if I were re-doing I'd get undermount sinks with single pull faucets. much easier to clean and more counter space in the same area by getting rid of the self rim. I'm also short so would go with std bathroom height.

The weekend was good. friday we changed internet, and phone and it was a tough day. only had time for a scrap of exercise. saturday I did a bike warm up, 35 on treadmill, and disk 21. we planned a bike ride for sunday so I skipped the leg workout and will pick it up today. sunday we did a 4 hr mt bike that was just great. went out a river road that goes into the mountains, currently closed to vehicles cause of a wash out, but perfectly OK with a bike. a fair bit of work but a lovely day, misty and cloudy, with sun later on , loads of birds and budding trees and bushes. so pretty. about 20 miles RT. the FS is repairing the road so most of the winter debris had been cleared.

Good morning,

"Official weigh in" 172lbs. I'm delighted I didn't gain weight in this last month. Lots of eating without thought and of course no exercise but I'm ready to start today.

We get the chair today. I wish it would get here. Dm is getting very little sleep because hip hurts and seems to be getting worse. Appointment is not until March 12 with doctor.

I agree about the sink and faucet. I have marble 1 piece molded. It's great not having the lip.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did BBL High and Tight (35 min.) and 2 miles with Leslie (30 min.).

Deb, spring break starts on March 20. I would definitely like to do a SH rotation, alternating with 3 cardios, maybe for 3 or 4 weeks. I may order some new cardio for the occasion. Our double sink is Corian, one piece, and I love it. I'm only 5' 2" but I really prefer the kitchen height on the counter. We have epoxy for our kitchen tiles. Wish it had been invented when we did our bathroom and laundry room. DH is getting something like epoxy for our patio, which drives me crazy with the weeds between the stones. When I pull up the weeds, all these little stones come flying out and then I have to scrape them up and tap them back down. So DH bartered a pig for some work this spring on our patio. The pork fricassee recipe is from epicurious.com. I think it's going to be really good.

By the way, Valerie, Deb found this great stuff for cleaning grout--Stainsolver. It worked like magic on my old grout. Just flooded the room and let it sit, mopped it up the next day. Voila!

Joan, maybe your mom could get a cortisone shot for her hip if they don't want to give her painkillers. I have a friend who has put off getting a hip replacement by getting cortisone shots every 6 mos. Seems to really help.

This Saturday DH and I are going to a charity ball for some serious dancing. Should be fun.

Hi to Cathy and Josie!!

They wouldn't do the cortisone shot while she had infection. And didn't want to do it after infection is gone because it would cause her legs to swell more. The hip bothers her more than the leg so when 2nd 10 day batch of antibiotic is gone we will see if we can get shot.

Joan

Would stainsolver work on vertical surfaces? my shower walls are absolutely disgusting but nothing touches the stains. I've bleached, and tried every spray I could find.

Tuesday

Good morning,

Is it only Tuesday? ugh...this will be a slow week. I did the BFL Upper body workout this morning. It's still cold here, but at least we are on the downside of winter.

Valerei, thanks for the info on the whirlpool. We decided not to get it, too much hassle, and I think it will overpower the bathroom. We have an old house (1924) so the room is tiny and I don;t want the tub to be the only thing you see in there Hopefully I can run out to the bath place to pick the final choice along with the medicine cabinet. LOL on your idea of a "scrap" of excercise, that's way more than I do on a good day! Here is the link to the Stain Solver...I think it is a little harder on vertical surfaces, I never tried it on walls/tile etc, just floors, but they say you can use it for that too....

http://www.stainsolver.com/Grout_Cleaning.shtml

Joan, good job on the weight. I gain and lose the same pound every week. We are getting a pedistal sink. I bet your Mom will really appreciate the chair. I know my FIL did.

Garance, we used to have that Unilock brick on our patio, and it drove me crazy with the grass and weeds coming up between the bricks. When we had the yard done, we ripped it out and put in stamped concrete...so much better. You are going dancing again!! :D. That is great, you haven't mentioned it in a while. Will your DH take lessons again?

Hi to Josie, & Cathy,

Take care,

Garance, this is for you....cast for DWTS:

As usual I only know a couple of them...Aidan Turner used to be on All My Children ( it seems that they always want a soap star)...

Aidan Turner
Pamela Anderson
Chad Ochocinco - NFL
Erin Andrews - ESPN
Shannen Doherty - Beverly HIlls 90210
Buzz Aldrin - astronaut Niecy Nash
Nicole Scherzinger - lead singer of the Pussycat Dolls
Evan Lysacek - 2010 Olympic gold medalist men's figure skating
Kate Gosselin -

Bachelor Jake Pavelka is the 11th 'star'.

Hi Ladies,

My bike ride was canceled on Saturday due to rain, so I ended up doing my work outs inside. My DH and I went to dinner on Saturday to a surprise birthday party then we went to see The Color Purple featuring Fantasia. It was great! We stayed out until 2:30 AM.

Yesterday I did a 44 minute cardio wo and today I will be spinning.

Joan, I'm so sorry to hear that you DM is in such pain.

Hi Garance, Deb, Valerie and Cathy.

I will be back later.

Josie

This morning I did Petra Kolber's Bootcamp Boogie (63 min.).

It's beautiful here today--sun is shining and it's 40 degrees. Really feels like spring.

Well, now the ball has been postponed. It was for the New England Tropical Conservatory Education Center programs. Darn! Our old instructors were going to be there to help, but DH wanted to spend some time reviewing things before we went. We were going to go to the Flurry, but then ds broke his leg and we just didn't feel festive.

Deb, we have beautiful Goshen stone for our patio and then some fine stones to fill in the spaces, which is what will be replaced with some kind of epoxy this spring. I predict that Evan Lysacek will win. Those Olympians have a perfect record so far.

Joan, your poor mom just can't win, can she? One problem makes another problem insoluble or exacerbates the other problem.

Valerie, there are directions for wall grout, and it is more difficult to keep it wet vertically, but I really think this stuff is magical.

Hi to Josie and Cathy!

Went to yoga this morning, then did a bike warm up for 10, 30 on the treadmill and disk 22. I've skipped the last 2 leg disks so if I can fit those in this week I'll be done with this mesocycle. we wanted to ride tomorrow but I'm getting a bed frame delivered and the window is 11:30 to 1:30, so I'm not sure we can go somewhere and be back in time or work around it. we're going on vacation leaving probably sunday so I will be AWOL for a while. We usually do heavy leg work on vacation, hiking, skiing, and maybe mt biking so it will be good timing for a break week.

I think my bathroom is beyond saving. the mildew is deep in the grout and some places the grout is mostly gone. the tile is dull and coated with mineral deposits. our water supply leaves white deposits on everything and anything that takes the deposit off usually takes off the finish too. we need to re-do the whole thing, in some surface that won't show the deposits so obviously.

Garance, how is your son doing?

Joan sorry you mother is having so many issues. that's unfortunately what happens... treat one thing and it causes some other problem. treat that, and somethign else pops up. congrats on holding your weight during a difficult month.

Hi ladies,

No wo yet but I plan to get at least 30 min. in tonight.

I found out it is a grand jury and will be harder to get out of. If I'm picked it will be for 1 day a week for 3 months.

Joan

Hump Day

Good Morning,

No workout today, :confused: one of the dogs woke us up at 3:30, John let her out and I had trouble going back to sleep. I turned off the workout alarm. I should have just gotten up, let her out and stayed up to do the workout..

Josie, How is The Color Purple done with Fantasia? Did you get your package yet?

Garance, I agree with your prediction, I think watching Pamela Anderson will be painful.

Valerie, where are you going on vacation?

Joan, too bad on the jury duty thing..:(..Have you ever looked at the CLX series? They are shorted workouts, have both weights and cardio. Or you could do the time saver pre-mixes from a lot of Cathe's series...just to get you through tax season..

Cathy, how are you doing?

Take care,

Good morning,

I ended up doing the shortest premix on Drill Max yesterday. I think I will try to get treadmill in before clients start to come.

BBL Joan

This morning I did BBL Sculpt (50 min.). I still cannot do those mermaids, but I'm trying.

Went to a funeral today for a colleague who has been suffering for the past seven years. Progressive Supranuclear Palsy. What's really terrifying is that they only recently discovered what it was that he had and had been treating him for suicidal depression (he tried twice), giving him shock treatments and endless drug cocktails. He was depressed because he was sick, not sick because he was depressed and all of the "treatments" were more like torture than therapy. The service was really touching because he was such a sweet, brilliant man, and there were his two daughters with anecdotes, and one of his son-in-laws reading from Philip Roth's The Professor of Desire a passage that he had actually chosen as self-descriptive. No one could tell a story better than this fellow. I would say I will miss him, but I have been missing him for quite awhile already.

DS seems to be getting antsy and bored in his apt. and is ready to do some office work at his job.

Joan, I don't envy you the Grand Jury assignment unless it's some really exciting scandal you will be hearing about to decide whether it goes to trial.

Guess I better get some work done.

well, i am alive! :) just so busy this past week. the girls here all weekend riding, husban home, grandkids here monday & tuesday. whew!! and,then, today, catching up on housework, laundry, and all.
i actually did IMAX2 today, and survived to tell ya'll about it. i did cheat a tiny bit on the air jacks, just too hard on the old feet. well, we are finally having our gorgeous teaxs winter. 70' today, and gonna be in the 60's all week. YAY! i'm tired of the cold. don't know how ya'll take it up there in iceland. :)

well, will try to check-in more this week.

Thursday- 2 more days to go!

Good morning,

I always count down to the weekend, but remember my Mom used to tell me not to "wish your life away"...she was right. Still cold and dreary here, but at least it is not snowing any more. No workout again, I just wanted some sleep. Keegan's agility class last night was an hour of complete frustration. I am going to consider not signing up again. He is so "dog" focused, all he wants to do is play with the other dog in the class, who is of the same mind set. I call them the two "JD's"...juvenile delinquents..

Joan, good for you for getting a workout in!

Garance, what's a mermaid? So sorry to hear about your friend. Glad to hear DS is getting antsy, that is a good sign that he is on the mend.

Cathy, glad you dropped by to let us know what was up. DON'T TELL ME ABOUT WEATHER IN THE 70's!! :mad:...LOL at your comment about some of us being in Iceland...

Hi to Valerie & Josie..

Take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.