Penagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/8

fox2star

Cathlete
Morning,

Had a great night's sleep, didn't wake up at all until John got up with the dogs at 4:20. Then I went back to sleep until 5:30. Heaven.

I did one of the new K-C-M total body workouts, not bad. I am trying to stick to Cathe's new 4 week rotation where she uses the STS Total Body and the LIS series, but for some reason, I didn't feel like doing the STS Total Body workout, subbed the KCM one instead. We'll see how it goes.

The shower was really nice. No one ( except the parents, and probably my friend) knew the sex of the baby. You had to guess it and put your guess in a bag on your table. The cake was 2 layers, the top was either blue or pink, and when she cut the cake, is how we found out that it is a girl. I guessed right, but someone else that guessed correctly was picked from the bag to win the basket that she had made for each table. Cute.

Valerie, we are having a very mild winter so farr too. No snow to speak of. Love it!

Joan, wtg on planning on doing the 3 month rotation. I hope I can at least do the one month one.

Cathy, good to see you here, hope the move goes well.

Garance, what did you do yesterday? HouseMax?

Well, off to go grocery shopping, and other mundane errands.

Take care,

Last edited:
good morning! I also slept well last night. any workout is vastly better than no workout!

watched a movie I didn't care for at all..Crazy Stupid Love. supposed to be a rom-com. not for me. seemed endless. good people in it but didn't click for us.

Did Turbo Barre yesterday. Lynda, I know you do it. Wow. Not cardio but the last part was intense. I cannot hold my leg in the air anywhere near as long as Cathe & crew. I did fine on the first parts... different from any other workout. holding my leg up sideways about killed me. up and forward/ backward was OK but sideways....OMG. interestingly... I'm not sore at all today so maybe repeating will develop strength/endurance in that position. The Ab section was pretty intense too with some different and challenging moves. I've done coremax so many times, this was a nice change. I had to stop before doing all the reps in a couple places. didn't preview, just stuck it in the player & did it. nice upper body moves that were perfect for getting my shoulder back into weight training. that went Ok and no soreness today. Never did any kind of barre workout before. dancers aren't wimps!

Had a really good dinner last night, a greek pasta dish with chicken, spinach, olives, pine nuts, feta. Easy, very tasty. very adjustable for fat level. all ingredients can be adjusted to your preferences... or what you have on hand... easily.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Turbo Barre (74 min.)

Valerie, the hardest move for me in this workout is when you have your bent leg up in the back, just holding it, while you are supposed to bend your other knee and do several reps. I can really feel it where she says you will--where the back of the leg meets the butt cheek. I usually give myself a brief rest before starting these. Otherwise, I can do the whole thing, probably because I was doing so much barre before Cathe came out with this. I like the abs move where you leave your elbow down and the other arm raised. I can really feel this one on each side. I didn't much like Crazy Stupid Love either. It was over-hyped.

Yes, Deb, yesterday was Housemax. Not sure what to make of your alteration this week--pen instead of pent. A couple ways of reading this--preferably we are all writers with pens and pencils, and not the other (ahem!) possibility. The shower sounds like fun.

We decided to do Girl with the Dragon Tattoo this afternoon, and have pizza after. Yum!

Hi to Josie, Joan, and Cathy!

Lynda, I think it was the move right before the one you mentioned, the one with the leg elevated, moving it forward and back while elevated. . Arrgh. horrid.
I liked that ab move too and got most of the reps. DH had come down and was talking to me and distracted me somewhat. (excuses excuses). still, a different approach for me but it was a (mostly) pleasant change.

today we did a 45 min trail run. I tried some new wind block tights but they are too warm for the mild 45-50 degree conditions and I was way over heating. I wanted them for bike riding. for running in mild weather they are too warm and constricting.

also to start with... DH put the car keys in a pocket, zipped it shut, and jammed the zipper. we could not get the zipper open. tools are, of course, 10 feet away in the locked car. talk about feeling stupid. took the jacket off so we could get more leverage and finally got it open. zipper is dead. a bad start.

Good morning!

I got up around 4:00, Kylee was rambling around in her crate so I figured I might as well get up. Did CC #1, while my iPod was dying. It held out for the workout at least.
Now we are thinking that Kylee has a bladder infection, or something that is all of a sudden making her not able to "hold it" for more than a couple of hours, and she's peeing in her crate. Joy. I took a sample first thing, may bring it in before work for them to test. Is it something in our water?

Valerie, I have not tried the Barre workout yet, I know from doing P-57,it is totally different and it was very hard for me. Isn't it so frustrating when a zipper sticks? I get so angry, I usually ruin whatever the clothing is. If that happened to me I probably would have ripped it open with whatever I could get my hands on. I have no patience for that kind of thing.

Garance, I tried to fix the typo in the thread name but it wouldn't let me go back. No pens, here, just keyboards. :) How was the movie? Could never get into that series.

Still no snow here and it is pretty mild for January. I hope this doesn't mean we are going to get a huge lake effect storm one of these days. That is what usually happens when the lake has not frozen over.

Hi to Joan, Cathy, & Josie,

Take care,

Ha ha ... the zipper! it's a nylon jacket.. we could not have torn it. Really, I thought we would have to go to someone's house for help. when DH took the jacket off, we had better leverage and could pull harder. he likes the jacket and wants me to somehow fix it. Thinking back on it, we probably could have operated the remote "unlock" button while it was inside the pocket and gotten at some tools. I know what I keep in my car, don't know what DH has in his.

Yeah, I want to hear how the movie was too. I liked the Swedish version and was sort of dreading what Hollywood would do to the story but reviews are pretty positive. the actress in the swedish version (noomi rapace) would be hard to replace.

Deb, have you looked at the compendium of Cathe workouts by Anna over in Open Discussion? they're microsoft Word but I can't open them even though I have Word. or I can open the document but it's gibberish. no one else seems to be having a problem. any idea why?

This morning I did LIC (51 min.).

We both thought the movie was excellent, even though Fincher changes the ending slightly (Harriet is not in Australia, but has assumed the identity of her sister in London). I thought the soundtrack was especially good. Valerie, we both wondered if the movie is hard to follow if you have not read the book. You didn't have any trouble with the Swedish version, did you--and you haven't read the book(s)?

Valerie, the move you hate (I think) is a hip move to the side with one arm on the barre and facing Cathe with your hip up in the air. This comes after the moves for hamstrings and butt where you have both arms on the barre and your leg is bent and your toes pointed up behind you. She follows it with the move I find difficult, where she asks you to bend the standing leg in several reps.

Deb, what a bummer! I feel very fortunate about Max. He has not had any health problems so far--knock on wood! Last night I was watching Downton Abbey (love this series!), and we saw the spitting image of Max in a farm scene. Same markings. We get so tired of everyone saying "Oh, what a beautiful border collie!" He is an English Shepherd, as we hasten to tell everyone, but no one seems to know what that is. He is a wonderful work dog. His favorite command is "Guard the gate!" when DH goes in to throw some hay bales at the calves. He looks steely-eyed at those calves, warning them to stay put. I love this non-winter so far. No snow since October really. Just a few flurries.

Morning all,

Rest day today according to the January rotation, I needed it anyway. Had Kylee's class last night so I did not get to sleep until almost 11...I'm tired.

A friend at work saw the movie this weekend and highly recommends it She was concerned because neither her or her husband have read any of the books. She said they both could follow it easily etc.

Valerie, LOL about the zipper, and you're right, if it was a nylon jacket you could have opened the car using the remote right through the jacket. :rolleyes:

Garance, love that Max is a working breed that is doing exactly what he was born to do. That is probably why he is so healthy and happy. Still no snow here, loving it.

John has a conjunctivitis (is it "a conjunctivitis" or just "conjunctivitis"?) in one eye, went to the DR yesterday, and I think it is spreading to his other eye. A woman at my office had it last week.

Joan, how are your eyes?

Hi to Josie & Cathy,

Take care,

This morning I did the upper body split on TBT (56 min.).

Deb, isn't conjunctivitis pink eye? Very irritating, I remember, with all the sleep in the eye when you wake up. Better be careful--it's very contagious. I remember my boys could not go to day care when they had it.

I think I will try the 3 month rotation beginning in February. I took a look at it, and I may have to get the STS total body workout. Or not. I have never really done a rotation. I just choose from day to day. But I'm at least thinking about it.

What a strange winter. The grass outside my office window is mostly green. Maybe a bit of snow on Thursday.

Must finish my spring syllabi. ttfn

It's just ..conjunctivitis. many different kinds ... viral and bacterial. pillowcases or towels and transfer it, so get busy with laundry to prevent transferring. can go from a surface to your hand, on your hand to your face. if you rub your eye you can infect yourself that way. wash hands a lot.

I did Athletic training again yesterday. I'm really enjoying these low impact workouts a lot. went to yoga this morning. I want to do the barre workout again but need to give that part of my anatomy a day off. maybe thursday. tomorrow we will do a hike of some kind. not enough snow down low enough for us to ski. I want to pinpoint exactly which move it was that was so intense.

we did some garden work yesterday, been so mild that weeds are blooming. we always do get winter weeds but some years are worse than others.

I haven't read the books but (I think) I followed the Swedish version pretty well. I'll see this version too. Did the actress compare at all to the Swedish version?

I had a kind of revelation last night. we were watching the first part of the Bob Dylan film biography by martin scorsese. they played quite a few clips of old concert footage, interviews with other folk singers and they played a short piece of "Strange Fruit" sung by Billie Holiday. I'm not great understanding song lyrics but I could barely believe what I though was sung. I am embarrassed to say I'd never heard it (or heard of it) before and I was stunned. as soon as I got up this morning I looked up the song lyrics and some history. I am so upset with myself that somehow I managed to completely miss this piece of history.

Good morning,

Craptastic night. Woke up at 1:09, and didn't fall back to sleep until almost 3:00, Then up at 4:30 with the dogs. Both of us had to get up to "catch" the samples from each of them for John to take in this morning.

Garance, you will probably like the STS Total body workout. She uses it in the one month rotation too. I thought I would start with that one and see how it goes. Week One is already trashed. I'll have to start it over. It is supposed to get colder Friday, and maybe some ice. Lovely.

Valerie, drops that DR gave to John seem to be working. So far it has not gone to his other eye. LOL with your post to get Cathy over here. I opened the thread thinking it was this week's, and was confused, "didn't I read this stuff already?"...on the Bob Dylan comment, don't feel bad, I don't even know what you are talking about, so I missed even more.

Hi to Joan & Josie,

Take care,

Cathy, I can't do the dixie cups either. I cut paper towel rolls in half and if I ever do that workout again, that is what I will try to use.

Did you read the thread here regarding people's knees getting injured from Slide & Glide. Be careful ladies. Our knees are older and much more prone to injury.

Hi Ladies,

I will be spinning tonight. The weekend rides were great and the weather was beautiful.
I will be riding both Saturday and Sunday again this weekend.

Work is back to normal ;( There is drama, intrigue and the same old crap. I wish I could retire! I do not have the patience that I used to have to deal with these people.

I will be back later.

Josie

This morning I did After Burn (54 min.). I really like this one so much. It goes by fast, and I keep getting better.

Valerie, that's a very famous song by Billie Holiday, and lynching in the 20s and 30s in the south was common and awful. Strange fruit, yes, to be hanging from trees. A shameful part of our history.

Deb, I am very conservative with those disks on my knees and don't go crazy with the movements. I like the crosscountry ski, airplane, and lunge moves best, but I am tentative about the jacks, and I modify a lot of the burpees. Like I said, maybe the beginning of February I will try a rotation.

My sympathies, Josie. What is it exactly that creates so much drama?

Hi to Joan and Cathy!

tuesday afternoon I finally got on the spin bike with the intent to actually spin. so I followed Cathe for about 35 min and did OK. She went on longer but I wanted to do a the Ab routine from the barre disk too... did all the moves this time. like it, harder but not too hard. 35 min was about right on the bike. I needed to fiddle with the seat height and standing up does not come easily. they pedal really fast, something I'm not able to do yet. but the first time is a learning experience.
today we did a hike in the snow, 4.5 hours don't know mileage. not too hard except walking in snow is always harder than dirt. crusty snow so didn't need snowshoes, just microspikes.

Josie, any pointers about spinning are welcome! I didn't realize how different it is compared to street riding. I envy your being able to street ride this time of year.
many people these days seem to bring their crap to work and make everyone there be unwilling participants.

Lynda, thanks. after I looked it up I realized I was late to the party, so to speak. I don't know how I managed to never hear it or hear of it. I was familiar with Billie Holiday, and very familiar with the awful history (of not that long ago) that should never be forgotten. somehow hearing her sing those horrible images, well, I won't ever forget it. most of the song clips were "lighter," like "if I had a hammer" etc. and then this was there. DH completely missed it. I almost didn't believe I heard what I thought I heard. If any one else wants to get up to speed, it's easy to google her name. the song comes up and many sites give the lyrics. listening to a clip of her sing is better though, and only 2 minutes. It was probably better in the context of the Dylan biography, showing how much he was a part of the civil rights movement. sometimes history needs to smack us upside the head, so we don't forget what was done that cannot ever be explained or justified.

Deb, too funny, I got a link to the thread and looked for a few minutes before I realized it was last weeks. Great night for you. doggies are cute but they require maintenance! Hope you don't get the conjunctivitis.. keeping things clean goes a long way toward avoiding transmission.

This morning I did Cardio Supersets (41 min.). I was going to try the premix with step, but my crown came off yesterday, and I had to go in to the dentist this morning early to get it fixed. Hope it stays put now.

Valerie, I have one Billie Holiday LP that I would play a lot in the olden days when record players were used. My new fave is Adele's 21. I have also been playing a lot of Joni Mitchell--Blue and Court and Spark. Good for you on the spin bike!

I'm guessing that you had another "craptastic" night, Deb. Is it snowing there? They kept telling us this would just be rain, but it's blizzardy out today--more like slushing and freezing rain, or what the weathermen like to call delicately, "mixed precipitation."

Hi Ladies,

Tonight I will be going out with my DH to listen to George Duke. My DH loves his Jazz
so, no workout for me tonight.

Valerie, when you get up on the spin bike, you have to adjust the resistance to a higher level. Otherwise you are going to hurt you knees by going to fast once you stand up. Also, do not have your knees go beyond the resistance knob and stick your butt back to where your inner thighs are barely rubbing on the seat. To me, spinning is harder than ridding outside.

Garance, the problem yesterday was with one of the people that I supervise that does the least amount of work possible and is always asking for a raise. She is already making more money that the other fund managers, but is always complaining. She did not do a salary change for one of her researchers in October and was trying to cover by saying that the researcher’s administrator submitted several requests and that it was confusing. Just a bunch of lies, but I took care of it. She is now under the magnifying glass and needs to cc me on everything.

Deb, thank you so much for your donation.

Hi to Joan and Cathy.

Josie

I'm tired today, not a day off in a while. yoga will do it today. my legs, calves especially, got really tired from the hike yesterday. walking on snow really tweaks things around for me and I need a rest day. we were wearing microspikes, but the crust would break unexpectedly every now and then and I'd jerk around suddenly. just feel fatigued.

Josie, cathe says that in the disk, about having your inner thighs grazing the front of the seat. I tried to reach that spot. I will have DH look and see if I'm too far forward or backward. I increased the resistance. my heart rate went from 125 to 139 when I'd stand up and pedal. that would be about right for me. I can go higher .. try to stay under 160... but wanted to be in "good" control for learning. if I get too breathless I was afraid I'd lose the control. the clip I use feel like ice skates. I'm content not using them on a road bike. just too squirrely feeling for me with my very flexible ankles. I clip in and out without realizing it.

I have a bunch of old records and nothing to play them on. too many equipment transitions over so many years. I never listened to joni mitchell much... just the "paved paradise, put up a parking lot" song. liked her but did not have good radio stations and I never had enough money to buy music until much later. I thought my hearing got worse but I can understand lyrics so much better now...so I assume the quality of equipment has made that possible.

037.gif

I guess I didn't check in yesterday, it is all a blur. I was at work until almost 8 pm yesterday.

We are having a wind storm, with some blowing snow right now. No accumuation so far, just a dusting on the ice covered streets and sidewalks. Driving will be fun today, that's for sure. :confused:

At least there was good news on the dog front. Keegan's PH went up to 6.5 and he has no crystals!! That is because we put him back on that bladder anti-inflamatory. I sure hope they can figure out what is going on with him soon. I don't want him on that stuff for the rest of his life.

Kylee does have a UTI and she is on anti-biotics. Does Mama know her puppy or what? Hopefully this will mean she will be able to go at least 4 hours without peeing!!

Garance, did you get the crown fixed with no issues?

Josie, isn't managing people just so much fun? NOT!

Valerie, John bought this turntable that converts LP records into CD's. He loves it.

Getting more coffee and time to shower etc.

Take care,

Sounds like winter arrived. you have my sympathy. however we are getting similar changes this weekend. we've had some clear cold days and now comes the rain and probably snow. a little early to tell when or how much.

MIL had her colon surgery wednesday. all went well except instead of a laparoscopic procedure it became an open procedure. still, everyone is hopeful she will be OK. longer recovery time though. she will need another colonoscopy in 6 months. so foolish not getting screening done long ago.

Deb.. I kept records mostly for sentimental reasons. album covers were so cool back then. the old record players (and taking records to parties) well, it took a toll they are not in real great shape anymore as I remember. lots of scratches. Haven't looked in ages! I should look just because I haven't. good news that the doggies are getting tuned up.

Not sure what I'll do today but feel better after a good sleep. my legs were plain tired.

This morning I did Athletic Training (56 min.). Another fave.

Deb, it sounds like you are getting the weather headed our way--much colder over the weekend and a wind advisory. Brrr. Good news on the pupsters. Do you have a day off on Monday or Tuesday for MLK's birthday?

Josie, I would not like overseeing someone's work, especially if it were someone clearly not doing her share. I currently have a honors thesis student who has turned in virtually nothing all of last semester and now during Winter Study. She is supposed to have a complete rough draft by the end of the month, but I don't see it happening. I refuse to nag, because this is something she elected to do. She acts all guilty around me, and I keep reminding her that it's really an independent piece of work that I can advise, but not demand of her.

Valerie, I have a lot of old LPs, too, but I have tried to replace the ones I really love with cds. You should really try Joni Mitchell's Blue and Court and Spark. They are absolutely addictive. Adele 21 is really good, too.

This weekend I will go to see Young Adult with Charlize Theron and probably another Comfort Sunday meal, cuz it's looking mighty tasty.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.