P90X January Beginners Check In...Wednesday 01/03

banslug

Cathlete
Good morning! As Traci (from the original Xers check in) suggested, I'm starting a check in for those of us who just started P90X this YEAR...as in this week. I just started yesterday with my very first workout, and I mean VERY FIRST P90X workout. I just bought the series just before Christmas and OFF I GO!

SO.......if you'd like to join me here, instead of the existing check-in, PLEASE DO! The ladies on that check in have been very welcoming and full of info and advice. The one tip I got from them already is "do not fix what's not broken". LOL.

ANYWAY..........today I did Arms & Shoulders, followed by Ab Ripper X. I'm doing the Classic Rotation and began yesterday. I'm a bit sore already.

I'd chat more right now, but I have to run out the door, like 5 minutes AGO!

Please, join me if you'd like!

Gayle

Hey Gayle .. started my first workout yesterday .. and OMG .. am I SORE today .. there are no words to describe how bad my chest and back are aching! LOL ..

I started with the Chest and Back yesterday at lunch .. thought I was doing good .. that is until he did everything over again .. OMG .. I even called myself taking it easy .. HA ..

That video should be renamed .. push up and pull up torture chamber .. and mind you I HATE push ups .. and I was vividly reminded why yesterday.

I am having to create my own rotation .. b/c I teach a class at night .. so did P90X at lunch then I did all cardio and abs in class

today plan for a quick run at lunch and tonight going to do a class similar to Core Synergetics (mix of classic core and yoga)

guess tomorrow it is P90X shoulders and arms and ab ripper at lunch .. and cardio in class ..

Good luck to all that started .. after just one workout I can most definately see that if you follow this program you WILL change your body .. it is very different from anything I have done .. :7

Good Morning - I also started the Classics Rotation yesterday with Chest and Back and Ab Ripper X.

It was good. My husband has not gotten around to installing my pullup bar, so i had to use the bands and do substitutes, but I still felt the burn.

I hate pushups as well - - erggg, but I got through it - - mainly on my knees and still felt it! I did buy those handles and love the range of motion I got.

Tonight is PlyoX if I remember correctly.

During the second phase I plan to add cardio three times per week using Cathe's CTX segments. I wanted more cardio but not an additional hour of workout time per day, so I think those will do the trick :) Who knows maybe the classic rotation will wipe me out too much, but that is what I plan on doing.

Hi Gayle -

I started yesterday also and am also doing the Classic Rotation! I'm already feeling my chest and back today.

Do you have a pull-up bar? I don't have one but bought the bands from Beachbody and have rigged up a contraption to attach them to the wall. I'm afraid at the thought of ever trying a pullup, let alone doing one. I had an appointment at 6 (I workout as soon as I walk in the door at 4 pm) so I didn't get to do Ab RipperX yesterday so will try to do it today after Plyometrics. I think that's scheduled for today - I'm at work so I can't check. I noticed that you're doing A & S. Do I have it wrong?

It's definitely a different type of workout then I'm used to doing. I normally just pick a Cathe weight training (lately, gym styles) and do each body part twice a week. I never, never do cardio. We'll see....I'm not really sure I "brought it" as good as I should have. I was very busy trying to watch how they were doing the moves - especially with the band. Hopefully, I'll do better next time.

My main goal is to lean out - I don't really want to build, just want to add some muscle. I'm not really following the diet just trying to eat as clean as possible. (Until the caramel popcorn I ate last night, lol.)

Okay, I'd love to check-in with you. I know I could use all of the help/suggestions/motivation I can get, lol.

Nancy

we started monday on the 1st! so today we did shoulders and arms.

we're doing the classic version. however we are skipping the rest day this week ONLY cuz we need to have our normal rest day on saturdays (we do a lot of organized bike rides on saturday... between 100 and 120 miles... so need for saturday to be "rest" day lol!)

i'm actually excited that i have DOMS from ab ripper X! i haven't had ab DOMS in forever! so it's a nice feeling! the only thing i'm not looking forward to is the lack of leg with P90X... but i guess i'll just have to work harder on the bike when i ride! (well... and i never look forward to 90 minutes of yoga either! but that's another story!)

i kinda got bullied or guilted into do this.. as i had no motivation to do tony again... but hubby had decided he (read WE) were starting it the first... i tried to argue: "i've got a new cathe calendar and STICKERS!" but i "gave in"... i'm ok for now... but it is only day 3... i'll be bored with tony in another couple weeks... but i will stick with it! i know he's good... i got good results last time!

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

Hi, everybody! I'm excited to see some 'new faces'. I don't post too much on Cathe's boards, but I get such motivation and help that I promised myself I'd spend just a bit more time here....so this check in will do just fine!

I officially was GOING to start the Classic rotation Monday the 1st, but my NY Eve was too much to handle! LOL. I had several beers (or beer, depending on where you're from, lol) and my fiance and I were up till 4:30 (put my kids to bed at 1am), then got woken up at 8am by the phone ringing and my sis asking if I could watch my neice! ANYWAY.....as for the rotation, I offically started yesterday, but with the "day 2" workout of Plyometrics. Just a personal preference, because I really LOVE cardio and like starting off new rotations with cardio.

Sorry to be so long-winded! LOL. I'm actually a bit sore in my lower body from Plyo. I LOVED Arms & Shoulders this morning. I'm really looking forward to how these workouts work for my body.

Now as for pull ups...I have a power tower so I can use a pull up bar, but I CAN'T DO EVEN ONE PULL UP and the assisted ones are SO lame! I'm not sure how that will work for me, but I'll be using my high step placed on several risers in place of a stool for the assisted version. We'll see.

OK....must get some stuff done around the house before my boys get back from school!

I'm glad we offically have a 'new' check in!

eta: Oh, sorry, I wanted to add that I'm a Weight Watchers member for over 2 years now, so that's the 'plan' that I'm following for my diet. I'm concentrating on clean, core, natural foods, so it will be VERY similar to the P90X nutritional plan.

Gayle

Hello everyone. I may start checking in with ya'll starting next week. I ordered Power 90X and am hoping to have it by the end of the week. Glad to see I'm not the only newcomer to the workouts.

Just wondering.....my shoulders have the most DOMS today after yesterday's Chest & Back workout. Oh, my chest and back are feeling it too just not like my shoulders. It's also interesting because I can almost never get my shoulders to "feel it" so I'm happy, just confused. Did anyone else notice this?

Okay, off to do Plyometrics!!!!! I'm scared as I'm not a cardio-lover. Matter of fact, I should be on the "I hate cardio" check-in. lol.

I'll be back.

Nancy

Hi Everyone,

Thanks Gayle for starting the January checkin for all us newbees. I actually started the classic rotation on Dec. 26th so this is week 2 for me.

I have decided to add in additional leg work as well. I am pear shaped and need all the help I can get in that area. I've been doing the overall leg premix of Butts & Guts 2 times per week and the P90X legs once a week. I'll let you all know how that works out for me.

Oh, I am also adding cardio as I need to lose weight. My Door Gym should be waiting for me at home and with any luck, my son will install for me tonight.

I am looking forward to checking in with everyone.

Diana

Hey Nancy ..

I am so glad someone else is sore .. b/c I was beginning to think I was a complete whimp!! LOL

Let's see .. my shoulders, arm pits, entire chest and pec area are the MOST sore .. and my upper/middle back area are a bit!!x(

But yeah .. I feel it in the shoulder area .. did you do pull ups or the bands? That is probably why your shoulders are sore if you used the bands ..

I am having to mix up my order .. tonight doing the core synergetics .. I know it is in the next phase .. but I was already doing a class almost identical to that class .. so I am subbing it in this rotation ..

tomorrow .. arms :eek: .. ok .. next to push ups and pull ups .. the arms are the next least favorite thing to work .. yikes x(

Will check in tomorrow w/more sore body parts I am sure .. LOL .. gotta love it!:7

Hi Everyone

Plyometrics done!!!! I loved it. As I mentioned, I HATE cardio. This one is doable for me. I could do anything for 30 seconds! I have to admit though that I modified quite a bit. I feel it in my left knee if I jump too high or too fast so I followed Pam and lowered the impact. Still a great workout and I was sweating with the window wide open and the overhead fan on high.

Poochy, I'm glad to hear that you're feeling the same DOMS as I am. My back is probably the least sore and it's probably just like you said - because I used the bands. I bet my form wasn't perfect and I have to try to simulate a pull-up better. ??? Don't know. I did try hard though to watch the guy with the band. I may not have leaned over far enough.

I definitely felt like I "brought" more to tonight's workout than I did to last nights. I already had Arms & Shoulders in my collection so I know what to expect tomorrow night.

I'm not going to change this P90X rotation at all. I'm going to do it as written and just see what happens. My eating is pretty good although I won't be following the plan to the "t". I bought Boost for a recovery drink and am drinking only half of it. The thought of all of those calories in a drink frightens me. I also bought Power Bars - Harvest double-dipped chocolate and plan on eating one for a snack everyday.

Okay, have a great night everyone!!! Thanks for the help!

Nancy

Hello peeps!
My name is Laura too and I am doing the classic phase and am finished day (three shoulders, arms and ab ripper x). I am also adding in a bit of cardio. Probably 1/2 hour of turbo jam on days 1,3,4,5. That is the plan anyway.
As for my diet I am on day four of Ann Louise Gittleman's 2 week Fat Flush which worked well for me last summer. It is basically clean eating while flushing out all the toxins from your body. No coffee, white flour, sugar and lots of veggies, protien, eggs and fruit. After that I probably will start doing the X's diet.
This looks like a good place to be accountable for one's self. What are your goals for the program? Mine are to lose weight (I think I have pretty good muscle but it is hidden under the fat), to wear a bikini before I'm 35 (for the first time)and to treat my body with more respect (good food, less alcohol, coffee etc).
Thanks for listening,
Laura :D

>Hey Nancy ..
>
>I am so glad someone else is sore .. b/c I was beginning to
>think I was a complete whimp!! LOL
>
arm pits,

OHMIGOSH! it HURTS to put deoderant on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

Hi all!

Gayle - thanks for the warm welcome:)

I started P90X almost 4 weeks ago for the first time, so I'm pretty new to the system too. I hate it - but I love it!!}( I'm sure you all will too. It seems like such a great addition to Cathe.

Honestly, I am only doing the classic routine without Cathe because....hello - the X is enough!;) No workout in the first phase is much less than an hour. I don't know about the rest of them yet - I haven't even previewed them yet because I want to save the surprise - it gives me something to strive for and look forward to I guess. I miss Cathe though and can't wait to do those new workouts again after 90 days of the X. I'll probably take a month of pure Cathe, then maybe try lean X. We'll see.

Gayle - just wanted to say, that I have the power tower too and use a taller bar stool to help with my pull ups. I found that a higher chair gives me more control and really assists my pull ups and lets me do 8-12 of them with fairly good form and YES - I am fried afterwards. So, to increase my intensity as the program goes on, I will lower my chair height. Just a thought for you......

Also someone said that they didn't think there was enough leg work in X. Ya, I thought so too......but then......really, my legs have more definition now than doing Cathe 5 days a week for years. It's really hard to believe!!

Catch up with ya all later and have a great X day:eek: ;)

Angie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.