Not in great shape, but getting there-Feb 27th

amybajamy

Cathlete
Oh my gosh, I totally forgot to start the check-in this week! So sorry. Anyone can start it if they want to by the way, if I'm slacking.

Well I got my hr monitor. It's pretty good, but I like my Polar that I lost better. This one is a Timex which I bought because it's hard to find someone to change the batteries in a Polar, sometimes you have to send it to Polar, but the Timex isn't very user friendly and you can't see your heart rate in bpm and % of max hr at the same time. You have to push a whole bunch of buttons to switch it over and I can never remember which buttons. Oh well at least it works and it tells me how many calories I'm burning. Do any of you guys use a hr monitor?

I did MMA fusion today. I just love that workout! Tomorrow I'm going to try MMA Boxing, and do legs, probably from 4DS.

What workouts do you guys have planned? Did everyone have a good weekend?

I have a heart monitor that my husband gave me, but I don't use it. When I get heated up, it makes my skin itch and if it slides at all, it becomes inaccurate.

I'd love to know how MMA Fusion compares with 4DS KBX. I did 4DS KBX yesterday and loved it! I was thinking of purchasing the 4DS Bootcamp download as well. Then I could do a rotation with 4DS KBX, S&H chest&back w/core, B&G, 4DS bootcamp, and Bootcamp/Muscle endurance Bonus this week.

For the other migraine sufferers, my brother recently consulted his physician concerning his recurrent migraines and was told to take magnesium supplements. I've started taking them and have only had one migraine in the time period in which I usually have 2-3.

I'm feeling on top of my game this week and I'm looking forward to sweating, lifting, and getting stronger this week!

I, too, would love to hear all of your workout plans for the week!

Lori

Hello all!

How has everyone been? I have been ok, not posting much though! My DD has still been giving me fits! She is moving out this weekend. She is leaving on good terms and I think over the long term it will be a good thing...it's just hard :-(

I have been doing really well with my workouts. I am on my recovery week of STS. I got up early this morning and did Low Max which was great because over the weekend I did Cardio Fusion; Kick, punch and crunch; and Step, Jump and Pump. My body was starting to hurt from all the high impact stuff so I took it low this morning!

I have a Polar F6 monitor that I bought many years ago. I don't like to use it though because I find that it cuts out so often. Whenever I get into higher impact stuff it goes to 00. I have tried everything (tighter strap, looser strap, different positions, etc) but it always does that. So then I feel like I don't get an accurate read and it frustrates me.
I finally broke down last week and ordered a GoWear Fit. I have been using it since Saturday. I LOVE it! It was worth every penny. I have been *shocked* by how little I move/burn while at work all day. It has really motivated me to try to go for little mini walks at work and to kick up my activity in the evening. The device has also given me amazing info about my sleeping habits. I have had terrible insomnia for years. This gives me great feedback about my sleep cycles. I could go on and on about it. Sorry!

The tip about magnesium is interesting. What are you taking specifically? I'd love to try something new if it helps!

I've missed hearing how everyone is doing...I'll be sure to check in more regularly now. Have a great day!

How are the workouts going everyone?

I did MMA boxing the other day and really, really liked it. I left out the lower body conditioning drills because they were too high impact for my foot, but that's less than 15 minutes of the workout. The workout I did ended up being about 35 minutes and was so fun. I'm going to do it every week for awhile and add it on to a leg day since it's mostly upper body. Do any of you have bodymax 2? I did the ab workout from it this weekend. I love the side planks and balancing snow angels. They're hard though. I weigh too much, it was pretty strenuous for my arms. Something to work on.

We took our son swimming on Tuesday and he had such a blast. It was really fun to watch him and so relaxing to be in the water. I'll have to be sure to do it more often.

Lori,
4DS kickbox is my favorite kickboxing workout, I love that one! I also love, love, love fusion, but the two don't really compare. Fudion is really different from Cathe's other workouts. They both have the fun factor for me though. Have you watched the video clip for ifusion. I think it's definitely worth buying. Bootcamp from 4DS is good too, I like that it's shorter and even though it's tough it doesn't kill me to do it. I can't do the butt kicks over the step though. I'm glad you're feeling so good!

Lisa,
Glad to have you back! Sorry about your daughter moving out. That must be hard. I'm glad you're on good terms though.

So what did you think of your first STS mesocycle?

I thought of buying the GoWearFit. Maybe I still should. It doesn't tell you your heartrate does it? How does it figure out how many calories you've burned if it doesn't go by hr? I heard there is a monthly charge for it. What is it for?

Well have a good rest of the week everyone!

Wow Amy! That was lots of great information :) I have been trying to decide if I should by the shock cardio series next or continue to build up my collection of the older stuff. I still can't decide! I recently bought Kick Max because I love 4DS KB and Kick, Punch and Crunch. Unfortunately I really didn't like Kick Max. It's very different from the other 2 and not in a good way :-( I guess you can't win them all!

The GoWear fit does not measure heart rate which is ok with me because heart rate is not always the best indicator of calorie burn. HR is affected by a lot of factors that don't have anything to do with calorie burn. The GoWear Fit has 5 different points of measurement - motion via accelermeters (like the Wii), skin temperature, heat dissipation, galvanic skin response, and steps taken. There is a ton of great information about it on the bodymedia site.

I am still loving my GWF but it does have 1 drawback...I have increased my activity so dramatically this week that I am hurting! My feet hurt (too much walking at work in heels), my hips hurt (darn leg drills in Kick Max), and I am just generally tired. I've been averaging about 16k steps per day (it does count your steps during workouts). I am hoping my body adjusts soon to the activity. It wears me out to be so sore!

Oh, and last thing...I do have Body Max 2 but I don't remember the abs. I may not have made it that far into the workout. That workout was TOUGH!! The day I did it was cardio only for me so I might have selected a cardio only premix as well. Ok, I am so tired I am going to bed!

Hi Lisa and Amy,

Just finished doing 4DS KBX...again. I REALLY love doing that one. It's 71 minutes, but it flies by and is fun. Amy, I took your suggestion and downloaded Fusion. I plan to do it on Sunday, unless my legs feel up to it tomorrow, but I'll probably have DOMS from KBX. I also downloaded Muscle Max--I'll prob do the upper body from that tomorrow. I have a pretty nice Cathe library now; it's fun to have so many workouts to choose from...no boredom here!

Lisa, the Magnesium I take is 500mg and it's made by Sundown. An added bonus is the magnesium supports muscle and bone health! I'm not faithful about taking it because I don't take any medications on a regular basis...I keep forgetting. However, even with taking it every other day, I've been pretty much migraine free so far. The real test will be in about two weeks though, that's when I'm due for a couple. My brother remains migraine free since starting magnesium. What's interesting is that my mother was once hospitalized with a severe headache and they determined that her magnesium was so low that they needed to give her an injection of it. I hope it helps you too Lisa.

How is it going with your daughter not living at home? Mine moved out a few years ago, but she recently moved further away (45 minutes instead of 5 minutes). It's been hard to only see her once a week instead of almost every day. I think there is both good and bad that comes with the kids moving out. My house environment is now consistantly peaceful, but I really miss my kids (even though I don't miss some of the drama).

Gotta go. I'm attending a reception in D.C. with my husband and have to catch the train. Have a great weekend!

Lori

Lisa,
Sorry you didn't like KM. You know what, I don't really like it either. I've only done that one probably 4 times and I've had it for years, but it's just not fun. So which older workouts are you thinking about getting?

Your recovery week doesn't sound too restful! Maybe I'll have to get the GoWearFit. I do like to see my heart rate while working out, so I'll keep the hr monitor too. I really wish I could find my polar (it's somewhere in my house) because I want to compare the calorie burn with my new timex hr monitor. It seems like the numbers are too high with the timex, but I'm not sure because when I used to use my polar I weighed about 30 or 40 pounds less, so I would have been burning less calories. I'll have to check out the bodymedia site.

Lori,
I so hope you like fusion! I'm nervous now that you won't like it and you bought it on my recommendation! I think you will like it though. Muscle Max is my favorite total body workout.

That's awesome that the magnesium has been helping you. I hope it keeps working. I hope it works for you too Lisa.

Well gotta go. Tomorrow is going to be 4DS legs, 4DS shoulders, and the stability ball abs from coremax. Have a good weekend!

Sorry I'm late. I can only check in every other week right now. Was beautiful today! 67!! WOW! My youngest turned 6 today, so we went Pizza Hut for the buffet, and I had mostly salad, then a couple slices of pizza, but had the supreme and mostly ate the toppings.
Got in some weight lifting too, did about 30 pushups. have been getting at least 20 mins of cardio a day for the last several weeks. Finally found one I LOVE!
Hope all is well! Amy how is your foot? Hope it's doing much better!
Liberty

Hi Liberty,

I responded to you in the new check-in for this week. I guess I could have just done it here, not sure why I didn't, LOL.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.