NON-CHECK-IN....March

Hey Stacy/Donna

Just wanted to say thanks you two for all the great suggestions, you're right it's a new month, gotta get back on the ball, so to speak:D today Low Impact Circuit cardio premix, on the step, no risers, not exactly " the Charleston queen" am I, oh well:rolleyes: pyramid lower body later...

I'll probably be updating my progress on this rotation over in that forum & here, I'm curious to see if it works the way I want it to, this is a "stick to the rotation" kind of month, one of the goals anyway, lost .2 lb (just leveled off) & about 1/2" at the waist last month and interestingly, a little around arms, probably all those pyramid reps?

Have a great day!
Linda

Last edited:
For me this month will be a stick to it clean diet month! Today except for some pretzels, I did pretty good, finished the day with 1100 calories which is on the low side, but I'm not hungry so I'll stop there. I was a bit tired after work but forced myself to walk on the treadmill. I walked 48 minutes doing a "hill" program, basically alternating 1 degree and 5 degrees of incline every 2 minutes. It wasnt much but was better than sitting on the couch.

Tomorrow I will be doing some sort of strength training, abs and maybe a short cardio.

Thanks to both of you as well. You keep me honest and motivated.

I posted the new rotation on the rotation thread as well - and, Linda, I replied on your thread regarding Body Fusion and Low Impact Circuit. Sorry for taking so long.

My birthday weekend was great - got alot done around the house - planning a wonderful vegetable garden this year.

My health goals for March are to eat well (track calories), exercise consistently, lose 4 pounds, sleep about 7-8 hours, watch my sitting down time and get outside more. BTW, my "rest/fun" week resulted in staying at my weight level - but - LOSING 4.25"! Can you believe that! :eek:

Here is my rotation for this week:

WEEK 6 Note: Moving into Week 2 of CATHE's Intermediate Rotation.
Monday: Elliptical or Run (45m), CoreMax (20m), 10 Minute Solutions Stretch Ball (10m)
Tuesday: Cardio/Weights (abs incl) (60m), BWO+ (16m), StretchMax (20m)
Wednesday: SPLIT DAY: M: Low Impact Step (40m), Firm Abs (7m), 10 Minute Solutions Stretch Band (10m) E: Push Pull (45m), PM Yoga (20m)
Thursday: Cross-Train Kickbox (54m), BWO+ (16m), Ladybugs/1/2 Frogs/10 Minute Solutions Abs (22m), AM Yoga (20m)
Friday: Body Fusion (50m), Basic Abs (9m), Yoga Step-by-Step (35m)
Saturday: SPLIT DAY: M: TurboJam Warm-Up or Basic Step (20m), High Step Circuit (48m), Ladybugs/1/2 Frogs/Core Solutions (22m), Stretch Max (20m) E: BWO+ (16m), PM Yoga (20m)
Sunday: Yoga Step-by-Step (35m)

Blessings,
Donna

Donna/Stacy

thanks for the info on BF/LIC, I think that should work out okay, glad to see your rotation, I love the variety, motivated me to dig out an old Kundalini yoga VHS, it's Carol Carlson, gosh, I can't remember when I last did it, if I read roman numerals correctly, it says 1996? Don't worry about answering every question I have, I can be a little annoying:eek: I looked at different shows & the CV catalog for stretching, yoga, power/fusion style & thought might be good for maintenance/travel, or when you don't have 14 pieces of equipment to locate/assemble:p

I started this abs program, Rodney Yee yoga/Ana Caban Pilates they're both 20 minutes, similar working abs, the pilates though I burn twice the calories, the difference I guess is not that significant, but the styles are. Just something I'm looking into lately, and medicine ball routines, I tend to like this idea better than the kettleball thing, I think the kettleball would lead me straight to "traction"

Kawabunga! that's some inches Donna!
Stick to it Stacy!

Off day on rotation, may just do the yoga tape.
Linda

Linda - Kettleball and traction seem to go hand in hand :D I have a kettleball - tried the initial DVD in the box - got through 2 exercises and hit my head with the crazy thing. My kettleball experience ended there - I use it as a door stopper at this point in time :eek: I will try it again someday when I am stronger.

Stacy - sticking to a clean diet is great. I remember in WW that they say to make sure to "reward" yourself each week with an "off" day. It tends to keep you motivated and focused on the clean goal. I had the same problem yesterday and had to PUSH myself to get on the elliptical. My week of rest and fun wanted to expand its time :p Got it done though - just like you.

Oh - btw - I get so tickled at Cathe on CoreMax Routine 1 right at the end. She had put us through a tough core workout. We are about to complete several 100 (it seems) reverse crunches (with Cathe twists) and she says: "8 more and we are done!" So, I and the ladies on the tape PUSH on. Then, we finish and stretch out. Cathe THEN says - "Let's end with some PLANKS!" :eek: (btw, not regular planks - but, side to side and up and down).

Anyway - I scream - NO! The ladies on the tape GROAN! And, Cathe says,

"STOP YOUR GROANING and GET GOING!"

That seems like a good motto! (I still wanted to ring her neck :eek:)

Being Strong is Sexy!
Donna

"Stop your groaning and get going!" Haha...will have to remember that one! I see me using it often ;)

I finally decided today to make this month an STS strength month using Meso 2. I doubt I'll use it as-is, ie. alternating all strength days with all cardio days as I want to get some cardio in most days too and don't have time for both.

Today I did Cathe's HiiT 30/30 workout. For a 23 minute workout (including warm-up), I had to pause it twice and I felt like I was going to puke at least that many times, BUT, it was a great heart-thumping workout and it goes by quick. After that I did a 19 minute ab workout from STS but only made it thru the 1st 10 minutes b/c the rest used paper plates and I wasnt feeling that strong at that point for those exercises. Then I followed that with STS Meso 2 Chest and Shoulders. Triceps is on the same disc, but my arms were too tired for that section. I plan on separating it to Chest/Shoulders, then maybe Biceps/Triceps (though the disc pairs Back and Biceps), then doing the Back section same days as legs or on a day with cardio. It felt REALLY good to do some "real" strength training again, as lately most of my strength work has been part of circuit routines, and thus not as intense.

Tomorrow....I'm planning on just cardio, maybe kickboxing, and then abs.

Donna....I notice you do Core Max often. Do you tried any other ab routines. The ab routine on Butts & Guts and on Muscle Max are both really good.

Hi Linda....good luck with those kettleballs!! I was never brave enough to buy them. I envisioned a head injury....or a doorstop as well.

more power to anyone that uses the kettlebells, definitely not for me...I laughed too when I read that, "...doorstop" hahaha

Low Impact Circuit, cardio premix today, & pyramid upper body, "it's a stop groaning & get going" kinda of day:) & is that really how that combo goes?

funny, I didn't quite remember it that way:confused:

Linda

Well - another snow in Atlanta - 4 inches at my house. Quite the spectacle! All has melted as we head to 67 degrees for Sunday. Walking and biking are coming into my routines soon!

Stacy - I have Ab Hits from Cathe - I will check about those particular ab routines on that DVD - hopefully, I will have some luck.

Finished Cardio and Weights, BWO+ (T-Tapp), and StretchMax yesterday. Really liked Cardio and Weights - similar to Body Fusion by having cardio - then light weights - BUT then you do 2-3 exercises with heavier weights. Seems to be upper body focused from what I could tell. Also - there are 4 cardio/weight routines instead of 3 as in BF.

I can see why Cathe picked these first 2 weeks of DVDs. Alot of the moves are the same - so, you don't get as frustrated with the new combos. And, with the new moves - the weights/intensity is increased. Just the right mix.

My plans today are ambitious for me: Low Impact Step, Push Pull, Abs, Yoga. I know I will feel great when I complete this - but, just procrastinating today. Could be that it is the first day of my cycle :rolleyes:

Talk with you tomorrow.

Donna

Yesterday I succumbed to a potato chip pity party. I was just grouchy. The chips felt good at the time, but of course I felt worse afterwards and was too bloated to workout. Still havent figured out why I have to sabotage myself like that.

This morning was a "stop groanin' and get goin' " morning. I got up and jogged/walked for 30 min on the treadmill (5 min jog, alternating with a 3 min walk), then I did the back portion of STS Meso 2. I skipped the chinups b/c I dont have a chinbar but it was only a small part of the workout.

I desperately want to get on track with my eating but my willpower just stinks. It's like I have these great pep talks in the morning and by dinner time I'm ravenous and stressed from my day at work and all I want is comfort food, and alot of it. I have to think about ways to get past this. My job and IBS are both a bit of a hinderance as to what I can eat during my day to curb my appetite before dinner. I wont give up though!

Hi

sorry to here that Stacy, I have to get myself back to some "go to" snacks & meals, the refrigerator fiasco threw us off a little, it's okay now I think, keeping an eye on it. I'll be doing a little walk/jog combinations in this rotation, not much of a runner, really, never was.

Donna, I'll be using C & W next month, in place of LIC I think (I got that with special price last week :) ), most of the subs I have for that rotation will be TV versions, unless I win the lotto:p Some of them will be higher impact/intensity so I guess the shorter TV length will work, for me anyway. After that series I'll try some of the interval premixes, at least that's the plan.

Stretchmax 1 today, stretching AM/PM everyday,
Yogurt with bananas, raisins, or fresh fruit, cinnamon, a little agave nectar...gives me energy after w/o and fills the void 'til the next meal, try it out.

Linda

Last edited:
Stacy,

Been there - although I kept to my calories - yesterday - being the first day of my cycle, my snack calories were as much as one of my meals. So - workout was necessary. Sometimes, I think we are too tough on ourselves. For me, I believe that I got into my weight gain BECAUSE I did not listen to my body. So, I know that you are going through a tough time. But, give your body a chance to figure itself out. You cannot sabotage your health with a bad day of eating or even a bad week.

BTW - have you tracked your eating for a week or so - maybe you are not getting some type of nutrient, mineral, vitamin, etc. - and, that is causing you to crave things. I know that Jillian Michaels has a book out on metabolism and food that I am going to get - she believes that deficiencies (for particular oxidizers) affects cravings, moods, weight, etc.

Found it on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Your-M...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267716027&sr=8-1

Linda - Cardio and Weights will do nicely as a sub for LIC. It may be even a little easier (less time - not alot of changes in weights, tools, etc.). I really liked it. Same here on DVD budget - I am lucky to have had some nice friends give me alot of their inventory. But, I see so many that I would like to try. ;)

Finished Low Impact Step (it still gets my heart rate up!) and Push Pull last night. LOVED Push Pull! It works all muscle groups - even the one in front of your calf :eek: (can't remember the name of it) Heavier weights (barbell and hand weights) - no cardio -

Stacy - could you tell me how to tell when to move up on my weights? I found last night with Push/Pull that I was not burning even at the end of some of the exercises - what is the rule?

Today - CrossTrain Express Kickbox, T-Tapp, Abs, Yoga! Onward!

Blessings,
Donna

BTW - Linda - thanks for the yogurt "pick-me-up" recipe. I am always looking for things like that.

Here is one for you - great breakfast/after workout shake - very high in potassium which helps alleviate/prevent muscle aches. I use mixed berries for a wonderful taste.

Smoothie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 banana
1 cup orange juice
3/4 cup 2% low-fat milk
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons flax seed
1 1/2 cups yogurt with fruit, lowfat
16 ounces berries
10 ice cube

Yield:
"16 ounces"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 305 Calories; 4g Fat (12.2% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 63g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 7mg Cholesterol; 74mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Ladies - Quick Question!

I finished Cross Train Express Kickbox (loved it) - I agree with Stacy that it is easier than Kick, Punch, Crunch - but, it is so helpful in learning the moves a little bit slower. It is 35 minutes of kickboxing, 15 minutes of arm weights, 10 minutes of abs, and 5 minutes of stretch.

Anyway - last night I did Push Pull which really worked my arms. I thought Kickbox was ONLY cardio - so, I was surpised to get arm work. I did it - but, barely - because I was tired in the arms.

What is the rule on working weights - I know about the 24-48 hour rule when lifting heavy weights - right? But, if you are doing circuit work with lighter weights - does the same rule apply? Just not sure how to work out my routine for next week...:confused:

Thanks for the help!

BTW - made the smoothie for lunch - it was great. If you don't have flax seed - you can use flax seed oil - about 1 tablespoon per serving.

Blessings,
Donna

I probably should have gone with that series first, (CTX). In-between all-Cathe rotations I'm going to do a lighter (shorter time -wise) KB-Cardio rotation for two weeks, with KPC (TV); Pump,Jump & Jam; Core Crosstrain KB; alternating with the other Firm cardios from the fat burn collection....

I think circuit with the lighter weights is more cardio, you could eliminate the weights altogether, and just use it as cardio, I don't know? push pull, I think I watched that once, it has the cool music?

all I do know is I watched a clip from Kickmax and that's all me baby! well maybe by July that'll be all me baby!:D I've got it in my head KM, MM, DM... yep Christmas in July, & if I can finagle a high step, well, heeeerreee we gooooo! sorry, went overboard on the wish list...:eek:

Thanks for the smoothie recipe, looks yummy, easy & quick!

Stacy, I think Donna has a good point about craving/ when you're not getting enough of a certain mineral/vitamin, etc. That's sounds like it could easy cause what you just described...everytime I read KPC, I'm thinking KFC, and I gotta have some chicken! ( sorry but true ):rolleyes:

Linda

Last edited:
I'll write more later, but to answer a few questions/comments...

I generally increase my weights when I can do about 10-12 reps easily. It gets a little more tricky with some workouts that are more endurance based vs strength based.

As far as timing in btwn strength workouts.....I think it's ok to do back to back circuit workouts unless of course you're overly sore. For pure strength workouts I usually wait at least 48 hrs between workouts. However, I have done a one body part per day rotation and worked each body part quite thoroughly so I only felt the need to work each body part one time per week.

I have the Jillian Michaels book you mentioned. For me I really believe it's all emotional eating b/c I tend to eat even when I'm already full. I overall liked Jillian's book though, but did think some of it was a bit hokey.

I'll read your posts a little more thoroughly a bit later!!

Donna/Stacy

Saw the glitch in my rotation, probably should rework that for the next time, I'm really not going all that heavy with the weights, so it shouldn't be too bad, and who cares if you can't sit on your butt all day?:D

I'm thinking cardio first - strength last, my focus anyway.

LIC cardio premix, today & Coremax 1, that I haven't done for quite a while so...better get back to pushups too, coming up for next week...you know I should have been doing them all along... if someone isn't right there saying "Gimme 20" well it's just not gettin' done.:)

Linda

Still struggling with my eating :(

Yesterday was a planned rest day. Today is STS Meso 2 biceps & triceps, then some sort of cardio. Tomorrow will be STS legs or sub leg floor work depending on how my knee feels. I havent done the STS leg workout before so will have to modify as I go along. I'll do an ab workout after legs, may try to do today too but btwn bi's/tri's and cardio that's already a 90 min workout.

six of this, half dozen of that

Then I'm not going to tell what I had yesterday...

I looked at the leg exercises in LIC and PLB, they're pretty different so I think if next week looks like I'd be doing back to back leg workouts, given the amount of time/type in the circuit, it should be alright, I'll have to look over the other parts, usually I can tell if I haven't had enough recovery in between.

I still have work to do on aerobic fitness, I think that is still what I need the most. My level is really beginner still I think:(

I probably should do more abs through the week too, I like that in your rotation, Donna, I think my core strength is pretty weak, something I'll need to improve if I expect to do anything beyond what I'm doing now (I better stop before I completely come undone:( ) Thanks for info on strength/weights, Stacy

maybe not focusing on that for a while might help? (food) I had to do that with coffee, I'm not really cutting down, I just felt I had to let that go for a while; green tea, is really starting to grow on me.....;)

PUB/PLB (upsides only) today

Linda

Last edited:
I was reading some articles on tackling weight loss excuses. The thing that stuck with me the most was.....The only difference between FIT and FAT is the letter "I".

I did a KPC premix today that included abs, followed by the bicep section of STS Meso 2. I'm really enjoying this 2nd cycle much better than the first. It's more versatile b/c each body part is separate so I can do it as-is, mix and match which sections I do each time or do one at a time.

Linda, I need to work on my ab workouts as well. Years ago, my abs were my best feature...never had a "6 pack" but did have a "4 pack". Kudos to Donna on working abs so regularly!

I'm going to keep working on the diet....

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.