Melters weekend - Dec 1/2

allwildgirl

Cathlete
Morning all!

Wow, it's a chilly one here! And we're expecting a dump of snow tonight. Ugh.

I'm girding my loins for the weekend (I love that expression:p). I have PMS and will be out and about today doing Christmas shopping, so good choices might be hard to make. I'll take a few snacks with me to try to fend off the CHOCOLATE that's everywhere right now!

What's everyone else up to this weekend?

Morning everyone. Having a slow start today. Still feel a bit sick but need to be presentable by 1 o'clock when I take Isaac to one of his classmate's birthday party. I don't even have a gift for the little girl yet. Ugh.

Shelley, just say no to chocolate! I like that girding your loins expression, too. Gird 'em up, girlfriend!

I contemplated saying something embarrassing here, but deleted it. How embarrassing can I get without making ya'll groan? Hmm, have to think about it.

ETA: forgot to mention that today is another rest day. Trying to decide what I'll do next week with my continuing injury issues. Might do what I intended to do this week and do some upper body alternating with yoga/Pilates. I loved that yoga class yesterday so I might try to do that twice next week (though it's $18 for a single class--cheaper if you pay a month ahead or something).

Eating is so far so good since yesterday.

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=purple]***Lainie***
My fitness blog: http://fitnessfig.blogspot.com/ http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/7.gif[/font]

Morning! Where is everyone? Off "girding their loins?":7 I wonder what that really means anyway?:)
Shelley, good idea with the take along snacks, I do that when I am out and about all the time, otherwise its too tempting to grab a bag of chips, or crap that you wouldn't normally eat. Have fun shopping!

Lainie, I am so happy you are feeling slightly better.Have fun at the kiddie party:+ :+ Oh, and I wouldn't worry, post away, nothing shocks me anymore.:)

Well I am so ready to ditch this PMS and be done with it already, it feels like its lasted forever this month and I am sick of the bloat.x( Not sure which workout today, completed the 4DS yesterday and frankly my body is really, really tired and sore. So maybe some gentle walking, when I say gentle, I mean "gentle". I sort of plod along for an hour or so.:7

Will not approach the scale until next week, I lost those three pounds, but am quite sure they are back and more this week, so forget about it.

Everyone have a wonderful Saturday, think I may do some shopping myself, I need some more holiday candles and stuff to make my house smell yummy:9

Good morning Melter's,

I'm sorry I never made it back yesterday for personals, but I was out and about all day and got home late with a splitting headache -- UGH! I had to lay down for awhile and then I slept for several hours. Believe it or not I did my workout at 11:00 last night :eek: . It was so late that I ditched the cardio part and just did bi & tri from the 4DS. Needless to say, I'll have to make up that cardio over the weekend.

My loins are girded :p . We have to put in an appearance at a Christmas party tonight, and I plan on eating before we go so I'll be full when we get there. Party food -- it should be outlawed http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/angry031.gif

There's an open house at one of my favorite antique shops today, too, and I really want to go. Of course, the party and the antique shop are in 2 different cities about 50 miles apart and I live somewhere in the middle x(

Shelley - It was 27 degrees outside this morning but no snow in sight, thank goodness. Yeah -- chocolate -- now that's a bullet that's hard to dodge this time of year. The #&#@ stuff seeps out of the friggin woodwork x( . Cinch up that gird and have fun shopping :p

Lainie - You poor thing. I can't imagine caring for 2 energetic boys when I'm healthy let alone when I'm not feeling well! It sounds like you're slowly but surely getting better. I've got plenty of soup left over if you want some :* Oh! and I definitely want to know what you were going to say that was so embarrassing. C'mon...it's just us :p :7

tneah - I thought of you yesterday when I was flipping through books of Crane's and William Arthur holiday cards. One of them -- I don't remember which one -- had a black card with an embossed Christmas tree. I have never seen a card like that before. It was really different and kind of cool. I would love to see a picture of your tree. A black tree rather suits my Grinchy disposition -- lol!!!

Deb - I don't know what's stalling your progress, but I don't think you should give up your WW ice cream bar. We need to treat ourselves once in awhile. I can't have "forbidden" foods. That's the surest path to overindulgence for me. Weight loss isn't a steady downhill ride anyway. I think it waxes and wanes, and I truly believe we make progress even when it doesn't register on the scale or tape measure. Hang in there -- with consistency your (our) weight will come off ;)

Cuz - Did you do a Cardio Coach workout today!? Which one? Trying step without a step is a good idea. Some people on VF forums were talking about doing step with a "step mat" -- a special mat that's the same size as a club step. I've been thinking about getting one for myself. I'm such a klutz when it comes to step that that may be the only answer for me ;)

Evily - I'm so happy to know you're able to work out again, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll be able to keep your piriformis syndrome at bay. I agree with TK about Classical Stretch. I don't have PS, but I do have problems with my hip -- probably arthritis -- and CS has made a HUGE difference in how it feels. That lady really knows how to stretch!!

Mich - I hope you were able to plow through that work yesterday. Bosses -- they're such a pain in the patooty! Good luck with your NYR goal to lose ___ #'s ;)

TK - You get the gold star this week for being a really good Melter girl http://www.jms101.btinternet.co.uk/basic_sets/gold/star_flat_lrg/smiley.gif
Ooh, that grilled pizza sounds delish!! It never would've occurred to me to make pizza on the grill. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Robin - I'm glad my cure-alls did the trick. I've got plenty more soup if you need some. I'm exhausted just hearing about your weekend plans. I'm not decorating until after I get my new carpet and Christmas tree (I'm having a tabletop tree made up for me at the florist -- I'm so pathetic -- lol!). ^5's for knocking off 2 #'s. You and I seem to be in sync with each other here. I'm not sure if that's good or bad -- LMAO!!

Amy - I cleaned out an extra bedroom last year and converted it into a workout room. It made such a big difference in my exercise compliance. Prior to that, I had to drag equipment out from all over the house and then put it all away, and who wants to bother with THAT!? You're gonna LOVE your workout room ;)

Hello to everyone I missed, and all my best for a wonderful, fun, and restful weekend.:)

Good morning melters. I did Amy Bento's All Step Challenge again this morning. I think I *almost* have the choreo down. I took it from start to finish the first time today. I didn't realize it wasn't a terribly long workout, so I put the first half of Patrick Goudeau's Step Appeal at the end of the workout to get the minimum hour. I was a good sweaty mess at the end so I was happy.

Well, I said I was going to weigh on Sunday but couldn't resist a peek this morning. The scale said I went down 2.9# this week. I'm going to take that and not check again LOL. All this up and down I've had these last few weeks I had to put it in a calculator to figure out where I stood. I am now 6.2# down. :eek:

Shelley: I wasn't sure of what 'gird your loins' meant either so I looked it up. Here's the definition I found: "To 'gird your loins' during the Roman Era meant to draw up and tie your lower garment between your legs as to increase your mobility and agility. This prevented the loose ends of the tunic from being snagged on something or entangled with your feet which would cause you to stumble or fall down when moving quickly." LOL, here I had thought it had something to do with girdles or corsets. Well it's an appropriate saying for our group!

Lainie: Have fun at your kiddie party. What do little girls like these days? I'm so out of touch anymore.

Tneah: Enjoy your shopping today. What is Vegas like at Christmas?

One-L Michele: Christmas parties are the devil, aren't they? There's rarely a veggie tray in sight. All I can say is to keep your hands busy with a glass of seltzer (or alternate seltzer with the 'beverage of choice';-) ) and keep your conversation away from the buffet table. So easy for me to say because I usually fall victim to all those treats, but even if you can play that tactic for part of the night you'll keep the damage to a minimum.

Hello to all who follow!

Good Afternoon Melters!

No workout today as it is my rest day. DH and I went for breakfast and did some errands so I am getting here late today. We will be going to a play in about an hour, then dinner. I love the weekend!

Shelley:
I downloaded the new 45 minute interval one where you do upperbody for 5 minutes than 5 minutes on the treadmill, then upper body etc. I haven't tried it yet. I have done the eliptical one of the same kind where you do weight work in between eliptical sections and it's a killer! We are waiting for the snow here too. It's sunny right now though.

Lainie:
I think you need to rest for about a week straight!

Tneah:
Candles are great for making a house look and smell wonderful! Isn't 4DS great?

Michele:
Gird those loins! Don't let any of the bad stuff get past them LOL:7

TK:
High ^^^^'s to you on the weight loss!

Robin:
I don't know most of the "stars" on Dancing when the season starts either. Especially the ones from TV shows like that person from 90210, Jenny. I never watched the show. Of course I know people like Wayne Newton!

Shannon:
I-Train has some good eliptical workouts.

Mich:
Hey..I'm one of those "bosses" so don;t fool around when you are supposed to be working!;-)
Emily:
Sorry to hear about your problem with the piraformis. I found a stretch that worked when I was having pain in that area. Actually Cathe does it in one of the cool downs in 4DS. Its the one where you put your bent leg in front with your foot tucked in towards the groin, then you bend forward with your elbows on the ground. If you are flexible enough you go forward until you are lying on your thigh? does that sound familiar? it worked great for me.

Amy:
We are all very good at reaching down and pulling our group back up on the wagon :D Your workout room sounds like it will be great.. and the new book interesting. I have been so used to working out with DVD's that it is hard to go back to doing it "alone". I did and sometimes still do the BFL workouts. I just play 70's dance music to keep me going. Now I am dating myself!:+

Have a great start to the weekend!

Deb

Hi melters. I've been pretty busy. I got out my decorations, except for tree stuff. We won't put the tree up for a couple weeks. I wrapped gifts. Then I made some cookies. Then I stepped. Then I did a bad thing. I was doing Amy's ASC2 power up segment for the first time and felt a pop in the knee that's been bothering me since the road trip. It felt bad - not hurting exactly, but not right. I wrapped, iced and elevated it and there isn't any swelling, but it feels like something is "loose" and "popping." No way I'll be able to melt if I can't work out. Emily and Shannon, I really feel your pain now. So I guess tomorrow will be a rest day and I'll call the doctor Monday. Sigh.

Hey Melter Friends

How did everyone do yesterday?

Robin! I am so sorry about your knee, but I think you did right by icing and elevating. Good job on making use of your Saturday with a million things.

Shelly- Did you get some items crossed off your list?

Lanie- I hope you got a chance to rest at some point yesterday.

tneah- thanks for the explanation on the 'Shelly phrase.'

Guess What? I ran a 5K yesterday in the cold and snow and wind! ( 20 degrees with a wind chill of 9 degrees) It was my virgin race since running consistently. My time was 28:23 Happy Dance! Happy Dance!

Today is a [font color=red]get in the groove day.[/font] We have zero good food at home. I will grocery shop early and plan meals before I go.

*PS If anyone makes that Split Pea Soup. DO NOT put vegetarian sausage in it. It was GROSS! Either use a ham bone or no meat at all.

[font color=purple][font size +1]Judy "Likes2bfit"

***The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well.
William Osler

***Eat Food. Not too Much. Mostly plants. Michael Pollan[/font]

Good Morning fellow Melters!

Today started my 5th week doing the 4DS workouts. I don't do the cardio, just the weight parts. I like them and am not ready to start something new, although I know I should change things up a bit. Maybe go back to one body part per day w/ S&H.

Robin:
sounds like you are getting a good head start on the holiday drudgery! I am such a scroogex( Sorry about your knee. Rest is the best thing, or just walking if it doesn't hurt to do that.

Judy:
High ^^^'s on the race! WAy to to go!:7

Lots of snow here last night. DH is out with the snowblower. We will be doing errands this afternoon, then experimenting on some chicken Indian style dish for dinner. YUM:9

Deb

Hi, Melters!

I was so busy having fun yesterday that I never got anywhere near the computer. It was wonderful.

Yesterday I took two walks - one with the dog, and one with my mom, up through the woods. I encountered a hill that was a bit too steep for my calf, but I just went slow and didn't seem to suffer any damage. THEN I came home and did CC 7 and had so much fun! It was great to finally sweat! And right after that, I did the first 15 minutes of Step Blast, just using a mat in place of a step. I made sure I kept it totally no impact. My calf felt fine in the evening, but it's a little "iffy" today. Nothing major, though. OMG, did it ever feel good to work out.

Today I'll do some sort of weights, hopefully a full body workout, depending on my calf. Oh, and I took measurements yesterday and all is well - holding steady, as I wanted to.

Shelley - I hope you survived the shopping trip! I don't envy you one little bit. Even without PMS I hate it.

Lanie - Hang in there. You sure have had it rough lately, what with the illness AND injury. That's just not fair!

Tneah - I hope you are feeling okay today, and that your gentle workout did the trick.

Cuz - did you end up going to the antique open house? Why on earth would they separate the two events like that? That's nuts!

TK - wow, the pounds are just melting off you! Great job!

Deb - it sounds like you had a lovely day Saturday! that's the way they all should be, huh?

Robin - that pop in your knee does not sound good at all! I've heard that some knee injuries actually won't hurt, if you tear a ligament, but that the knee will be very unstable. You go to the doc ASAP!

Judy - my hat is off to you! You've got to have a lot of grit to run in weather like that! WOW!

Hello Melters -

I didn't work out Saturday -- ugh I hate it when I do that. Weekends are supposed to be my day to really get some good longer workouts in!

I promised myself I would not post until I did SOMETHING so, this morning I did the elliptical and PUB. I'm feeling MUCH better now!! :) It is amazing how good I feel after a CATHE workout! I think I am one of those that just NEEDS to be accountable to someone -- so THANKS MELTERS!!!

Wow TK -- I guess South Beach IS working for you!! Good for you!

My DD wants to make cookies today - oh noooooo!! I will try to be strong!

Take care everyone and have a wonderful Sunday!
Mich

Popping in to say hello to all of you!:)

Started my period today-finally, so should start losing the extra water weight this week thank goodness.

Will try and work out a little today, I don't know my TOTM first few days are pretty rough. We are supposed to have our Sunday lunch at the Paris hotel (they have an outside bistro that is so cute, it overlooks the fountains at the Bellagio hotel) so will have some soup or their salmon and green beans. Gotta clean up the diet here now!:)

Have the business people here all next week, so will be basically resting up today.
This might sound kinda strange, but one of my "totem" animals is a bear, and I swear during wintertime, I seriously love to "hibernate", I love when it gets dark, I get the fireplace going and curl up in flannel pj's and a blanket and watch bad tv or listen to music! Thank goodness winter finds me with more workout energy too....

So I went and took out a loan so I could shop at Whole Foods yesterday!x( Love the food and store, but those prices are so outrageous its almost criminal.

Robin, popping is not good, get thee to a doctor-stat!
Mich-have fun baking, I have not done any yet, I though about making a gingerbread house:)
Shannon-sounds like you got the old endorphins flowing again, good for you girl!
Shelley, hope your shopping trip was fun, mine was, got a few peppermint and sugar cookie candles.
:)
TK, 6 pounds is so awesome, good for you!

Hope I didn't miss anyone, although knowing me I did, but know I am wishing you all very healthy and happy Sunday. Oh, and I plan on posting some tree pictures this coming week when my more "techie" friends are here to help.:)

OK The grocery shopping and food planing is done until Thursday.
And there is a recipe of lentil soup simmering in the crock pot for lunches this week.

Soon I will start some tomato sauce for calamari over pasta (tonight's dinner)

Make nice choices melters!

[font color=purple][font size +1]Judy "Likes2bfit"

***The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well.
William Osler

***Eat Food. Not too Much. Mostly plants. Michael Pollan[/font]

Hello melters. I put my turkey in the brine last night. Since the pot was too big to get in my reefer, it was cold enough last night to just put it out on the deck. This morning when I brought the pot in it had snow on the lid! The bird is cooking now so the house is starting to smell really good.

Robin: Oh no, so sorry to hear about your knee! You ought to have it seen by a doctor if it's not been feeling right for a while.

Judy: Good job with the 5K, and in the wind and snow no less. Great time too. I can appreciate anyone who can run with any speed. I ran a few 5Ks when I was in my 20's. I was happy to finish before the 60+ gang and I was running the whole way too! LOL

Deb: I'm a fellow scrooge. I do what I have to do and nothing more. Those 4DS workouts are good, aren't they? I had to force myself to change over to other DVDs after my 4 weeks were up.

Shannon: You got a lot of exercise yesterday. Sounds like a fun day.

Mich: I wouldn't say South Beach is all that. Little by little I've been morphing my diet back to higher carb diet mode and I think that is what is working better for me. As they say, YMMV.

Tneah: Now that you've promised them, I can't wait to see your tree pictures. And I hear ya about Whole Foods. We don't have one nearby. However, there's one near a marina we visit when we take the boat to Baltimore. It's a good thing I'm on foot when I visit there because I can only buy what I can manage to carry back to the boat. Otherwise I'd break the bank.

Well I have a date with Muscle Max before the bird gets done. BBL.

Hi everyone. Still sick. My temp is up to 100 (and that's by ear thermometer which I think measures a little low). I'm so cold that I'm wearing long thermal underwear (top & bottom), corduroy pants, 2 thick sweaters, and a hat. Don't I sound pitiful? Needless to say it's another rest day. Haven't decided if I'll start working out again tomorrow or continue to rest or what.

My abs and arms were pretty sore yesterday, I guess because of Friday's yoga class--good, I guess.

OK, here's the embarrassing thing I thought about posting yesterday. Hmm, how to put it? Does anyone ever have air escaping from their womanly area during workouts? Kind of like gas only it's just air and not gas? This happens to me when I do yoga and it happened in the middle of my yoga class on Friday. I was a bit embarrassed but luckily it wasn't too loud and I also thought it might be hard for people to tell who it came from. I just acted natural and kept going. I probably wasn't fooling anyone. Is it just me? It's probably something to do with giving birth a couple times and not being really good about doing Kegels.

Tneah, bummer about TOM starting but at least you know the bloat will be over soon. Mine would be starting this week if I hadn't started those 3 month pills.

Michele, were you able to do both the party and the antique shop yesterday? My town has a ton of antique shops--fun place to browse around.

TK, congrats on the great loss!

Deb, we also had some snow but it probably won't last into tomorrow because it'll turn to rain overnight. I'm sure you've got lots more up there!

Shannon, how does your calf do with lower body workouts? I have been nervous about certain things with my ankle and have done more low weight floor work than anything since my injury.

Mich, great job getting in that workout early!

Judy, wish you could come cook for me--your stuff always sounds good and healthy.

Hello to anyone who comes by later.

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=purple]***Lainie***
My fitness blog: http://fitnessfig.blogspot.com/ http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/7.gif[/font]

Lainie,

You need to rest if you have a temp! Please do not continue working out while sick, it will only prolong the agony, your body is trying its hardest to get better and exercise can actually depresses the immune system, so please take care of yourself.

Oh, and do not be embarassed!:7 Although I know there is another name for those little "sounds" , which I dare not post.....it happened to me one time during nooky..:eek: heehee. I wanted to die, but my boyfriend (my hubby now) at the time laughed and kept at it!:7 And I do my Kegels after each ab workout, or even during an ab workout, otherwise I would never remember! Sigh, yet another muscle we have to worry about right?:) :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.