Low Carbers & Friends - July

I hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend. We didn't do too much. Fri just watched the neighborhood parade in the a.m. and went to a cookout. Sun went to a neighborhood cookout. Mon went bike riding at noon (crazy) for an hour in 90+ degree heat with 60% humidity. At least on the bikes the air moved past us.

Also took my first chem test and got 100%. I was thrilled. I am doing better than I thought I would, things are clicking in my brain. I do believe that it is easier to process info being older, I can relate things to the world. Didn't do that when I was 20!

Working on the last week of meso 1 for STS

Great job Melinda!! I think we are much more attentive as we age too, I found that with taking classes (either that or I'm just more anal, which totally could be true)!! LOL

I didn't do much for the 4th either. Just at the lake for a while and then home. Kept up with the meals and the workouts as best I could. I'm a little off (too little on the cals this am), so I've got to run to the store so I can have some fooood. My body doens't survive on next to nothing anymore.

Okay, I really need to get to work.

Rhea - How goes the challenge :)?

I guess I'm (as usual :p ) the oddball here. I find it a lot harder to concentrate as I get older :eek:. Things just don't interest me like they used to :confused:....

Not bad Lita. I've not had the chance to get my stats for the week over here, but maybe later on this morning. I really do need to pretend to work at least a little.

Yesterday's training was intense....a.m. was STS #13, chest shoulders and triceps. Lunchtime was a new Turbo Fire HIIT 15 class (I love her new series); evening was a about 4 mile walk/run. Blister was okay, but I'll have to give it a rest today. (only the running that is...the aerobic shoes don't rub the blister, only the running shoes)

You're not an oddball Lita. I don't concentrate well on the things I'm not interested in, only the things I want to learn. Of course, that is the only type of classes that i have taken, the ones that I want, so I don't know how I would do in those necessary evil classes (you know, the ones they make you take, like math.)

Jeez, Rhea, is working out like a maniac part of the challenge :eek:???? I hope you don't have to do that all the time :(! I think that blister is begging for a break ;). Thanks - I'm glad to know I'm not too much of an oddball :cool:. I think the problem after hitting menopause is that your "give a damn" button breaks and very few things appeal or seem to matter in the scope of everyday life :rolleyes: :p.....

No Lita yesterday was an abnormality for working out. I wanted to push myself a little harder. Today's workout was only the Turbo Fire. I was going to train for the 5k this evening, but nope. Too much. Need to rest.

Hi babes! Thank you for starting the July thread Lita! I'm sorry I have been MIA! :eek:

I went to a parade on the 4th, froze my toosh off, went to DH's brother's house till we got bored (THAT didn't take long!) :p Then played croquet at home. A good day really!

Melinda, congratulations on acing that test!!!! You ROCK my friend!!!!! :D And that was quite a bike ride you went on! I went on one with DH on Monday and again, froze my toosh off! Fish oil tablets have bothered my stomach before so I was told to make sure to take them with food and I've had no problem.

Yeah, even with cutting out bread, I get fluffy (DH prefers that word over bloated!) so I'll blame the fruits and veggies! I wish I liked them cooked, but I don't so I hope the raw form continues to agree with me. I'm sorry it doesn't for you Lita!! :(

Rhea, you are rocking that challenge!!! Good for you!! I'm just trying to deal with the heat we have now. As predicted, we warmed up after the 4th!

Lita, I am eager to learn things I'm interested in too. Took me a year to read a book about Henry VIII 'cause it was recommended to me, it wasn't something I would choose for myself. I was given the opportunity to learn a database program at work and because it wasn't something I went after, I was scared, got frustrated with it while learning it and to this day, I don't have a lot of confidence with it. You're not an oddball! :D

I wish you guys lived closer! The meetup group is doing nordic walking every Wednesday until Sept. 1st!!!

OK, GS series this week. Won't torment you with my DOMS. :)

Have a great rest of the week and stay cool my friends!

Last edited:
Lita, you are not an oddball. I feel that way about my house and the yard. If anything happened to DH, I would move into an apartment or condo. I have decided that I don't want to do yard work any more. I will grow some flowers or veggies, but that's all I care to do. Also, I have played around with this nurse idea for years, but only recently something clicked inside of me to do that, so I decided to jump into this chem class. I was scared and sweating when I first opened the book. Now things are clicking and the instructor is relating things to real life like recycling of plastics. that is interesting. Also, they are going to get into biochemistry which includes stuff about our bodies and the chemistry in it so that is interesting to me. If someone said to take a computer class I would not be happy about that!

I do agree that as we get older we just don't care about things like we used to. i think we get a better perspective on what's really important. When we are young we spend a lot of time and energy on things that don't matter. I used to be obsessed with exercise, now I have plans to get it in, but don't let it bring me down if I miss it one day.

Tracy, I wish we could do that class together too. I don't have a workout buddie and that would be fun. DH does walk and I'm hoping we will do more biking. It is so hot here right now, but is suppose to be 81 tomorrow, so I will be able to get out more. We went for a walk last night and it was 88 degrees at 9pm! I was really dragging.

I am fluffy right now! Annoying!

Rhea, what are your goals for this challenge. Lose wt, gain strength? Sounds like you are doing really good.

Last week of meso 1 for me. I did Athletic step yesterday and enjoyed it. I kind of put the STS cardio workouts aside, I need to do those again.

You guys make me feel much better, thank you :D :cool: :D!!!!!!! You all rock - I'm just sorry I don't mention it nearly as often as I should :eek:. But I am thankful for all of you - God bless each and every one of you! I think having a workout group with you guys would be the ultimate!

Melinda - How right you are! My perspective has really changed over the years - too bad I've become too OCD along with it :p!

Tracy - Fluffy sucks :mad:! Sadly, I speak from a lot of experience :rolleyes:! I like the term, though ;)!

Rhea - Good, I am so glad you're not killing yourself every day :eek:! I hope you're letting that blister heal and your body get some much needed rest :)!

Melinda - goals for BFFM are actually loss the fat, keep the muscle or gain muscle if possible. Doing both would actually be the Holy Grail. But main thing for me....I am going to get down to 15% BF. I'm going to see those muscles that are underneath. I know I have a six pack, but you just can't see them quite yet.

Yesterday's workout was the Disc #14 legs. I'm hurting today since I decided that I was strong enough to up the weights for almost all the exercises. The only one I kept at a little lower weight was the plates to the back since I'm just not that coordinated to slide and hold the weights. I forgot that you hold the weight the entire time with this exericise, so I really probably could have gone heavier. But I'm sore enough, so I did okay. Of course, I did Turbo fire 30 after, which just really moved all that lactic acid around my body! No running as blister still healing, but that doesn't stop the cardio or weights. (Almost did yesterday, but put a special bandaid on.)

More water needed today.

Have a great weekend.

Wow, Rhea. 15% BF! Do you know where you are now? Do you have an omron or get skin fold test somewhere? We use the omron to do BF for health screenings at the work sites.

Lita, I agree about the OCD as we get older. I think that is a spin off from the younger years of worrying about everything, now we don't care but become OCD. I am getting like that with this class. I have to make myself put the stuff down, which I find silly. I feel obsessed. At first I thought, "boy, do I feel motivated" then I started wondering about myself and thinking "um, I'm getting obsessed...put the book down and walk away!"

Worked outside yesterday weeding. We got a lot of rain Friday and everything popped up like crazy! DH and I both were out there, so together we did 7 hours, plus it is not done. But we have slacked this whole summer. I don't like bending over that long, so now started using a stool to sit on and that helps a lot! Needless to say, I didn't exercise yesterday.

Tracy, what are your exercise plans for this week since you finished GS.

Melinda - I do the skinfold test at home and right now I"m having a wonderful stay at about 25%. So realistically, I will not make my goal by Aug. 30, since a loss of about 1% or so a month is the realistic mark. I should drop some before then though since I have been hovering between 10 & 12 mill. I've recorded the higher since I don't want to "under" estimate. Inches are slowly moving downward, so like the papertowel theory, it is coming off a layer at a time.

Rhea, I'm at 23% and don't think I will go lower. I know i'd have to get strict on my diet, but I also know I won't do that.

Hi babes! I tried to pop on here last night and the site was down for maintenance--I was quite disappointed! :(

Lita, you are just the sweetest thing! I am thankful for all of you babes too!!!

Melinda, I am definitely with you on not caring about alot of stuff I used to, but getting anal about other stuff. I'd be just like you with the chemistry class so you are not alone in feeling the way you do! :D

I had my BMI checked a couple of years ago. I was fasting then at it was at 22.4% (I had to look it up, didn't remember)! Mine isn't going any lower, and I hope it hasn't gone up since! I'm scared to have it checked again. :p And like Melinda, I could get stricter with the eating, but the motivation isn't there!

I really admire your motivation and gusto Ms. Rhea! And l think it's a smart way to go to do the paper towel route! :D And hoowee, you are still rocking those workouts! I was sore for days from GS Legs! :eek:

I am not working out as hard this week! I did the 1000 stair climb Monday morning, then came home and did Cathe's Plates and Weights. Yesterday was LIC, hadn't done that one in forever! Today was ME and tomorrow will be a light cardio and possibly a stretch and flex meetup group after that.

Lita, what have you been doing this week? And what are your plans now that Meso 1 is completed Melinda?

Busy rest of the week, so I may not get back here before next week. Have a great weekend if I don't!

It is hot and muggy out and will be so all week!!! YUCK! We were going to go for a bike ride on Saturday, but it was not going to happen in this weather. We did get a walk in later that evening.

I guess it's on to Meso 2. I am definitely lacking in creativity here.

Have a good week everyone.

I really think that Meso #2 is my favorite.

BFFM is starting to pay off bigger....went down over 4 lbs this last week, mainly fat. Not that surprised since I actually went up on the scale a couple of pounds last week; but I knew that it was probably water weight since I had a cheat round of wine and pizza, along with popcorn, so the salt was up there. Also I had drunk about 2 quarts of crystal light tea the day before weigh in and I think I just held on to it! But the good thing is that I did not lose muscle weight, so maybe it wasn't all water. (last week, muscle gain was 1.9 lbs, which was pretty high)

Okay I had better get ready for bed, I'm bushed. Had to run to Reno today and for some reason, riding in a car in the summer just plumb tires me out!

Hi babes! I'm so glad BFFM is paying off for you Rhea! :D You've worked really hard and it should pay off! We all deserve cheat time too, it makes life worth living! As for me though, I cheat too much but it makes my life alot fo fun. :p As for being tired from a drive in the summer, I think I can relate! I went on a long drive Sat., then drove home which was 100+ miles from where I was and I still haven't quite recovered from it!

Melinda, I'm sorry the weather is uncooperative! :mad: We're in the low 70s and I'm really liking the lack of high heat. You need to move here!

Winging it on the workouts this week. There is a couple of them I am eyeing on Collage and will see if I can hold out till one of them goes on one of their weekly sale. :)

I swear, the excitement never stops at the apts. where I live. :rolleyes: We have kitty issues! Too many in fact, and a few are strays. So DH got a trap so we can take the strays to the humane society. Well that's a great idea, except all of the cats seem to know how to get in and eat the food without setting off the trap! :eek: I'll let you know the continuing saga, if we don't just give up! (And no, the manager is offsite and pretty much does nothing!)

Have a great week babes!

Way to go, Rhea :D!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you!

Melinda - I don't know how you keep repeating STS :eek:! I can't do any series w/o changing the workouts every week :eek:.

Tracy - Cats are way too smart for their own good - or for humans' good, I should say :p!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.