Low Carbers & Friends - February 2012

Ahh, the darn thing lost my nice long post. Err.

Hmm, I was very happy to get the thread without much looking on our gazillions of other threads.

Got myself out of bed early this am and did P90X2 total body. Such a challenge. It is a lot of balance work while you are doing weights. I'm such a spaz on some of those, especially the plank on the ball and tricep kickbacks, yeah right. I haven't figured out the best way to modify yet since on my knees is way too easy, I can do that, just not balance on one elbow while on my toes. Can you hear .....clunk......clonk.....ouch.?
That was me this morning rolling all over the place. hahaha

Talk to you later...(fingers crossed that this one goes through...)

You are so funny, Rhea :p! I think I would seriously damage myself if I tried those things you were talking about :eek:!

I almost did do myself in with those darn things. Dangerous for your health. Roll-plop is not the what the exercise is supposed to be for!

Well, once again I'm on hold with the workouts. Was going to do yoga yesterday, but my head cold thing-a-ma-jig came back Tues afternoon. Hanging my head at any angle was not appealing, even for the shortest amount of time. So until this thing goes away, I'm side lined.

On a funnier note, my lovely DH spent some big bucks on his pool table and in retaliation I bought myself a bodybugg. I really shouldn't have and that doesn't help pay off bills, but shoot. :) I was feeling guilty when I spent some moolah on our Davinci syrups. Not any more. hahaha

Rhea, what is a bodybugg?

Well, we got to go for a 10 mile bike ride yesterday before it got dark. Lots of people out walking/biking. Got a nice warm up. It's colder today, but sure was nice.

Good for you, Rhea :cool:!!! But I'm with Melinda - what's a bodybugg? I am so sorry your sinus issue is back :(. Glad to know you're going to rest until it gets resolved!

Melinda - So glad you got to get out and enjoy such wonderful weather :D! Are you feeling any better now that you've been able to get out and do something?

Bodybugg is a type of HR monitor, but you wear on arm and it monitors all day (you know me, always like all that information!) Plus I think it also monitors sleep, so can give me a report on how rotten I sleep sometimes, like I don't already know. I'm curious to know about how much kcals I really burn all day long, then I can adjust the food intake accordingly. Since I'm having such trouble with the burn, I'm curious to see if things are slower than they should be. All those years of that yo-yo dieting etc probably really screwed things up and it may have been taking awhile to readjust my "thermostat". Either that or I'm just totally wacked. hahaha

I was feeling pretty good on Friday, so I did the aerobic cleaning of my house. Dumb. Cold came back Saturday (actually started Friday night) with a vengeance. I really did like taking a Friday to clean though. Nobody home in the way and my weekend was fairly free (not that I could do anything this weekend but watch movies)

Oh well, it will eventually leave this body. At least I'm keeping the Nyquil people in business. lol

Rhea - Sounds like a neat toy that's right up your alley :cool:! I am glad you got to clean while you had the house to yourself - that is SUCH a gratifying experience :D! But I'm sorry it made your cold come back with a vengeance :(. Take care- hope you get totally well soon!

DH was home last Fri with some sinus thing and now someone else in his office is home sick. I thought I was getting something but didn't.

OK, I saw on Dr. Oz today to take raspberry ketones to help your body burn fat. It's suppose to help the fat cells release fat. So I'm going to buy some and give it a try. So 5 weeks on safflower oil. No side effects other than I am not achy any more. I thought that was interesting. My mom is giving it a try now, I will report back after she's been taking it for a month. I have noticed that I have not felt like I got hit by a truck, even when I don't really stretch and I did STS. This is very interesting.

Rhea, I hope you are better now. The bodybugg sounds neat. Does it interfere with sleeping when you are wearing it at night?

I am beginning meso 2 from STS. Went on a 13 mile bike ride on Sunday, having great weather. Lita, yes, I am feeling a little better. Was so nice to have DH here on Fri with me, I think some of my problem is loneliness. It's nice to work from home, but very isolating too. If I am lucky, I talk on the phone with ppl in the office 15-30min/day, the rest is through email or not at all. When DH was here it wasn't so bad because I wasn't alone all day.

Melinda - Hopefully the sinus bug will stay away from you! Yes, please keep us posted! Is the safflower oil you're taking in the form of CLA? I can see loneliness on top of dreary weather being a downer!

Okay, gang, since inquiring minds usually want to know ;) I am NOT getting the new workouts. Even if there are modifications shown, the workouts appear to be higher impact. And in many things, modifying the move just doesn't get the burn you need. So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it :p.

Hi babes! Thank you for starting the thread again Lita! I can't believe how many days pass between my posts, I thought I was here 3 days ago! :eek:

I didn't know what a bodybugg was either so thanks for telling us Rhea, and don't be feeling guilty about getting it. It's good for your health! I hope your sinus issue is all over very soon too! We've started P90X at work and I'm glad I only have a half hour to get my butt kicked with it and can't do the whole dvd! :D Is there a lot of eqipment used in P90X2?

Melinda, I understand your feelings of isolation and loneliness! DH was home and upstairs the other day (like he usually is in the evenings for a while) and I missed him! We too have been lucky here with weather the last five days or so. Cold mornings but sunny days. BB sure likes it too. He's not a real fan of the rain.

Thanks for the info that there is a new workout series being filmed Lita! I have been really bad about reading Cathe's newsletter. I keep them but haven't read one in quite a while. I will peruse and see if they are something I would like. I adore the latest series so I'm curious as to what the new one is. I better go read up on it!

Have a great week babes!

OK babes, I preordered. But you knew I would do that, didn't you? :p 2 reasons: 1) there will be premixes so I won't have to kill myself for a whole hour. Since I am doing half hour workouts at work, I can do just a half hour later at home. And 2) I'm a vidiot and I buy everything Cathe makes anyway. :rolleyes:

Well, and 3) it's a good price. I'm hopeless I tell you, hopeless! :D

Lita, I saw that the new series was being made from a post on FB. I'm not really that interested in more cardio stuff. I still don't use all the stuff I have from past series and haven't learned all of LIC from the latest series. So I am not really that interested. Plus, I'm not really so big on the high impact. I do like the intensity I get from the latest series.

OK, so do any of you have bifocals? I have needed them for years, but now with me having to get all these nursing books and read, I just have to get them. Well, I got some of the no line ones and they just aren't going to work. So I got the lined ones and I also have astigmatism, so the glasses have to fit my face just right or I feel like I'm looking through a fish bowl. It was awful trying to exercise in those. By the end of the day, I had a headache around my eyes. They are not right how they got marked for the bifocal part. I have to tilt my head down so I can see out of the top. Any suggestions? I am not happy at all and don't know how to resolve the problem. I wear glasses all the time, so it's not like reading glasses will work.

I'm not really that interested in more cardio stuff. I still don't use all the stuff I have from past series and haven't learned all of LIC from the latest series. So I am not really that interested. Plus, I'm not really so big on the high impact. I do like the intensity I get from the latest series.
Exactly, Melinda :D! You summed it up perfectly :cool:! If it were low impact just like AB & ATr then I'd go for it in a heartbeat. But higher impact, more cardio based - nah. Dare I hope that one day she'll actually do another strength series????? Not at this rate....

Oh man - that's a toughie on those glasses :(!!! There are just certain conditions that do NOT go well with others :mad:! Unfortunately, the people I know that wear bifocals do the same as you - tilt the head down and look over the top - using only the lower part for reading. My RM is forever having to get hers adjusted because they have to sit "precisely so" to do her any good. Sorry - I know that didn't help one iota :( :eek: :rolleyes:....

Of course I preordered, I'm just like you Tracy...vididiot. I got Tracy Long's new ones and haven't even been able to do them yet!

P90X2, at least in the first week, you need stability ball, med balls, weights and a way to do pull-up, chin ups. Since I've been sick, I haven't been able to get past the foundation phase. I think that I'm going to go back and do some P90X first when I start up, just to get back up to speed.

One of my goals today is to get a workout rotation done for the next two months. I'm going to mix all my new workouts up so that I can sample them all.

Okay, back to work.

Oh, I forgot. I'm no help on the glasses. I have bifocals, but only wear them at night or in am before contacts go in. I don't like reading with them either. But I have no problem with regular part, I must have been lucky and the doc got the lines in the right spot. (mine are lineless type thought)

OK, the glasses went back and I am trying a new approach. Will keep the ones I have for everyday and will get a new pair to read. I hope this works.

Hi everyone!

Melinda - hope you get that glasses thing all figured out. I hate not being able to read. Sometimes in the morning, my eyes just aren't awake enough and I have to constantly wipe them to see better.

Tracy - question for you about that workout at lunchtime. How do you guys manage to workout to dvds at lunch? I'm thinking of putting something together for myself, hmm, come to think of it, I could do something in my office with the computer dvd, well, maybe...not too much room. But I could always bring some bands to work.

Lita - How's the weather?

Rhea, there's definitely some things you could do in you office from the new workouts, like turbo barre. I also do some of the workouts from this series with no weights when I just want the cardio part.

Finished up week one of meso 2 today.

Lita, you asked if the Safflower oil was CLA. I don't know, it is cold pressed or something like that. Specially processed. But I got it from the cooking oil section in the grocery, it was Hollywood brand. I swear it is doing something for me internally. I told you I don't feel as achey, now I'm starting to feel more calm. Can't expain it any other way. BP at dr office was pretty low, around 92/62. Maybe it's my "chill pill" :) Summary: 2-3 weeks, stopped feeling achey, beginning 4th week, started feeling more calm in general. Today it has been 5 weeks of me taking this daily, this is the beginning of the 6th week.

Last edited:
Hi babes!

Rhea, I got Tracie Long's latest too and haven't done 'em yet either! :p I'm glad I'm in good company! At work, we have a file room that has enough room for people to workout in, and has a door we can shut. (Someone went through the channels to get space set aside for the improvement of employee health!) And we have a wellness committee so they got a tv from somewhere and bought a small dvd player. I brought in handled bands I already had, and those of us that workout have brought in dumbbells that we've bought over time. I don't know if that helps you! I've done Turbo Barre at work, it is a perfect workout to do at work! Oh, we also have paper plates for any needed sliding. :) P90X2 sounds like more equipment is needed than the first one. I'm liking the first one because it doesn't require much stuff, so far!

Melinda, I hope your new plan works for your glasses! The only thing I can think of is wearing contacts for one RX, then glasses for the other issue. I know people who do that.

Hi Lita! Do you feel spring in the air yet at all? The frogs have started singing in the evenings a bit around here. Yippee!

The Westminster Dog show is taking place in NY this week and BB's half uncle won Best in Breed again theis year! :D I have a pic of him here:
The Westminster Kennel Club | Photo

I think BB looks like him but I am partial of course!

Ran with BB today and started week 2 of P90X. I definitely like Tony alot more than Jillian!

Have an awesome week babes!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.