lEt'S gO ~ * ~ * jAnUaRy 4-10

deanie

Cathlete
Good Morning gals

Today is a rest day for me. Also a hard day, as I mentally have to get ready to go back to work tomorrow after being out for almost 2 weeks:eek: I really could use another week before I go back!

Gin~ Ready for school tomorrow?;) Did you do your 8 miles?

Marcy~ I hope you are having a nice weekend!

Have a good one!!

Hi Girls!

I felt like I couldn't check in until I had finished my run. We didn't go until late aft, but I am here to say that I finished 8 miles.:D It was very windy and I am TIRED and also sore from yesterday's PLB, so just thinking I need to take a rest day tomorrow instead of my usual 3 mile run!:p
I had ordered Classical Stretch for Back Pain. It came yesterday and I really like it. It is just a 25 min. routine with a 2nd routine of "stress relief" stretches. It really needs to be done on a regular basis to be effective.

Deanie~ Another week of vacation would be nice, wouldn't it? We have an in service day tomorrow, so not sure if it is a full day. I don't have to go in until 9!:D Hope you enjoyed your day of rest today!

Marcy~ Our church is offering six weeks of free dance lessons. It says ballroom to hip hop. I thought of you. You would be the instructor! Sounds like fun, but I don't think my DH would do it!

Molasses Monday

Good Morning gals

Today was Empire State. I did the whole thing with my 25#kb, but the chest presses and the swings I did with my 30#:D I fast forwarded thru all the rounds till round 7- then I took the minute breaks they gave us. I also rested an extra minute at the end before the snatches. I was able to follow Beth, doing 2 min. of high pulls and snatches:D:):D

Today my DS12 starts Bar Mitzvah tutoring (learning his Torah and Haftorah portions)!! very exciting!!!! (for me, not for him - LOL!! just more work for him!;))

I hope you gals had a great weekend!

Gin~ How are your legs feeling today??? I hope you have a great day back at school today.

Marcy~ Whats on your agenda today?

Have a great monday!!

Good Morning!

Today was a rest day so I did CS for Athletes and CS for Back Pain. I really needed that after yesterday's long run and Sat's PLB.

Deanie~I hope you enjoy your first day back.
Congrats on ds's starting his Bar Mitzvah tutoring.
My legs are better today, but still sore. Last night it hurt to walk up and down the stairs!:eek:

Marcy~Hope you had a good weekend.

Good Morning!

Today I did Lauren Brooks' KB DVD. I really liked it. It is on par with Empire State. Empire State has more core work in it though.

I did the Joint Mobility Section - very much like Anthony's but it's only 6 mins. long instead of 9. Felt like it covered everything though.

One Arm Rows and Alternating Swings - 30 secs of each - did all; no xtra rest
Suitcase Deadlift & Swings - I think this was also 30 secs of each - did all no xtra rest
First two exercises repeasted - had to take xtra rest after 2nd round of swings.

Front Squat L&T - needed xtra rest
Clean & Press L&R - did all

Pushups (on fists or KBs) - I did on fists - she does 8 - extra rest
Squat Thrusts - did all - took xtra rest
Overhead Swings - did only half of them; didn't go completely overhead; I have to say I felt myself really stabilize my core on this one and also pull in my glutes

Repeat above two exercises

Didn't rest between pushups and squat thrusts; too xtra rest after squat thrusts; did all overhead swings except for last 3 reps

Back Lunges, Alternating Cleans, Mountain Climbers - did all but took xtra rests between ball

Hi-Pull, Catch & Squat - only did 30 secs. out of 60
2-handed Swings and Alternating Swings - took extra rest

Back Lunges - did all with extra rest
Alternating Cleans - did all with no xtra rest
Mountain Climbers - did all

Repeat last two sets of exercises

Hi-Pull - did 5 more secs.
2-handed swings - did only 15 secs.
Alt. Swings - did only 15 secs.

Core work - Pullover to crunch (like a reverse crunch) - I think Anthony does pullovers but with feet on the ground

Russian Twist - did these with feet off the floor

Did stretch from HSC. (You would think that considering how expensive KB DVDs are, they would include a stretch!) I also did one pullup and one chinup.

On Saturday, I went to a lindy hop class and then they had a dance after. East Coast Swing and Viennese Waltz are real calorie burners!

Yesterday - did 3/4 pullup and 3/4 chinup.

Deanie - I just quickly went through the 101 KB workouts. They look tough! I'd like to try try Tabata Interval workout first. I want to do it to try and build up my endurance (which as you can see, still needs a lot of work!) Kudos to you on your great workout over the weekend and today's! I can't believe you fast forward through all the rests!

Gin - Congrats on your eight miles!:D Are you enjoying working with the weighted vest? Re dance lessons - Even if DH doesn't go, you should still go. My DH doesn't go either (although not for my lack of trying!). There's always someone who needs a partner. Sorry I couldn't be your instructor!

Have a great day!

Marcy

Tuesday

Good Morning

Today was 4DS bootcamp and then I added on 3 TGU's on each side with my 25#kb and 100 swings with the 25# bell. You can really feel the difference between the 25 and 30 pound kettlebell. I think my form is better with the 30#, the heavier weight makes you have the right form.

Gin~ Whats on the rotation today? FF's rotation looks like a good one! How are your legs today?

Marcy~ I still think Anthony may have a point about the overhead swings- no benefit. Glad you liked the new dvd. Do you know any Tabata workouts with the kettlebell? I know of one for the ropes (on the AOS website) How long are Tabata workouts supposed to go for? I saw something that said 4 min, but that seems short to me. Unless you do them in 4 min. increments? I glanced over the 101 workouts, I'll have to go thru them again.... Actually, I think the 6 min. workout I have for kb's may be a tabata workout. The problem is, I don't think mentally, I could workout for 6 min and count that as my workout for the day!!! (well, maybe a cardio day ;) ....but still!)

I'm hoping to get my ropes today....we'll see.
Did you see the AOS website is having a deal of the week? this week is the kettlebell buddy. I don't have any perform better kb's.

Have a great day!
BBL

Good Afternoon!

I did 4DS Kickbox today and the hip opening segment from Rodney Yee's Advanced Yoga. I only took one break during kickbox when she does the speed bag arms. It seems in every workout Cathe does, these always slay me. Otherwise, I got through without a problem. The hip opening segment was really good; it moved very quickly and my hips definitely opened up. It was also the perfect time - only 25 mins; perfect for an add-on.

On a not-so-good note: I found out yesterday I'm going to have to work a 40-hour week instead of 37.5 hours:mad: Most likely I will shorten my lunch hour because it would be hard for me to get my workouts in and get in earlier and I can't do much less than what I'm doing. I also don't get a raise for at least six months:( But I guess I have to be thankful I still have a job!

Deanie - I hope you get your ropes today. You're so lucky you have the room for them. The Tabata workout I saw on the Intervals page of the 101 Kettlebell workouts you sent me (right before the Circuit Training page). The Tabata inverval is :20 sprinting and :10 rest repeated for a total of 8 times. Do 4 minutes of moderate intensity cardio before and after the 4 minutes of intervals. The whole thing takes 12 mins.

1. Swings
2. Double snatch
3. Snatch
4. High Pull
5. Double High Pull
6. Double Clean
7. Squat and Press (thruster)
8. Double Thruster
9. Clean and Squat
10. Double Clean and Squat
11. Burpee on Kb handles to a clean
12. Clean and thruster (squat and press)
13. Double Clean and Thruster

I really need to get a 25# kb. I don't have any Perform Better KBs so I couldn't get the KB Buddy. (At least I save some money there!) I do get all Anthony's e-mails so I saw about the deal of the week. Someover over at VF was saying she shought Newport went really quickly and that's part of what made it tough.

Gin - How are you doing today?

Have a great day!

Marcy

Hi gals

Got my ropes, tried them out.....WOW!!! hard!!:eek: Anthony and Staci on the AOS website make it look so easy....NOT! I really felt it in my core and arms and I only did it for about a minute (maybe less)

Marcy~ Not ready for that workout (above) yet, I don't feel ready for the double kettlebell work yet. Some really good workouts posted on the kb checkin though. I am copying them and want to use them ASAP:p Sorry about the increase in hours:(, but yes, thank goodness you have a job. There is always a bright side!! Are you going to do Manmakers tomorrow?

Waves to Gin--- where are you girl????

Deanie - I think I'll be doing Providence tomorrow. Would you have been happy if the ropes were easy??? I know you love a challenge:p I didn't realize until I typed it how many exercises used double KBs. I think I'll be waiting on that one too. I really have to get a notebook together with all the KB workouts. They're growing by leaps and bounds!

Waves to Gin!

Marcy

I really have to get a notebook together with all the KB workouts. They're growing by leaps and bounds!

I know!!! I got a notebook together last weekend!:p I haven't printed out the 101 workouts though, too much paper!:)

You're right-- I do love a challenge, and the ropes will definitely be one!:)

I got an email about a womens kettlebell clinic they are giving by me in the next town over (at the crossfit gym I haven't gotten to yet). I'd really like to go, but its $120.:mad: If I bring a friend, then its only $80. Wish you were here!! I can not justify $120 for a kb workshop!!! its Bar Mitzvah year and even before that, things are tight!! :mad: oh well.....

Have fun with Providence tomorrow!

Good Afternoon Girls!

Sorry that I am just now checking in. I didn't have time to get on the computer this morning before school.
Today was PS back and Bis and BM2 Back and Bis. Then I tacked on SM#3. The weights were not near as tough as last week with PUB and MM!:eek:
I just got my Classics Vol 1 in the mail today. Sure would like to do one of the step routines tomorrow, but I plan to run.

Deanie~How was your first day back to school?
$120. does seem high for a kb clinic. How many sessions? Hey~You could probably teach the thing, as much as you know about kb now!! The lead K teacher told me her trainer will be starting a boot camp class in the park using kbs. Wonder what he will have the class doing?
I have just used the weighted vest that one day with PLB and I was sore the next day. I use it again this week with PS Legs.

Marcy~Sorry you will have to work a few more hours each week. But, I agree we should all be thankful in this economy to have a job!
Sure wish you could be our dance instructor. How fun would that be? I am kind of hoping that DH doesn't want to go tonight. I am TIRED!:p

Have a good evening!

Wednesday

Good Morning

Today was Manmakers 2X from the Empire state dvd and a 4 minute tabata with the ropes after wards. Hard workout today!!

Both times:
Manmakers: 20# dumbbells
swings: 30# kettlebell
crush curls: started with 30#, but hands were slipping on the metal :mad::mad: so I went to 25# kettlebell with the vinyl on it. really ticked, because I know I could do the 30# if it had vinyl on it and I could grip it...OOOH! maybe next time I will use my lifting gloves!!? The second time around I tried holding it by the horns, but then I thought I'm not doing the exercise correctly, so i switched to the 25# again:mad:

I did the 4 min tabata with the ropes that's on the womens page on AOS. There were some exercises I couldn't go the whole 20 seconds:eek::eek: you wouldn't think 20 seconds is so long, but man it seemed that way today!!

Gin~ Love PS!! Are you enjoying it? The kb clinic is just that- a one day, 5 hour clinic, and yes, I agree.... expensive! Did you end up going to the dance class or staying home last night?

Marcy~ do you start your 40 hour work week today? I would shorten my lunch also. Unless you go out, no one really needs a full hour. Did you do yoga today?

Today I start teaching a new enrichment. Exercise!! I am going to do a similar warm up like in the X (I thought that was such a basic warm up) and then play head shoulders knees and toes. Then have the kids do a "boot camp" type workout...for 3 year olds-- should be fun:) As of right now, since it is new classes starting in Jan,. I don't have the screamer in my class:):) I even get to wear a cute sweats outfit!! since I am exerciseing!! ***ha ha***

Have a great day!!

Good Morning!

Today I did Providence. I was really proud of myself considering I woke up at 12:30 and didn't get back to sleep till 4. I did all of Providence without taking any extra rests until after the abs so I could have some energy for the snatches. I had a little problem with the Clean & Press - Did up to the 2s (couldn't do last rep on R side), then finished with singles.

Flip & Full Squat - only did 1 min. 15 seconds (did 55 seconds last time)
Tactical Lunges - only did 1 minute
Seated Press - Only did singles when it came to the 3s but then finished everything else
Snatch - did 2 sets of 5 on each side (only did 1 set of 5 and 2 on each side last time)

Didn't have time for a stretch but could've used one. Finished in 53 mins. Last time I did this it took me 1 hour and 15 mins.

Deanie - Your enrichment class sounds like fun. It's great you don't have the screamer this term and that you get to wear sweats. Luckily, my 40 hour work week doesn't start until first week of February. My hands were sweaty today during crush curls too. I had to slow down a bit since I didn't want to drop the bell but finished them all. I would up putting on my gloves after that. You're really getting strong, you progressed to the 30# KB really quickly.

Gin - I hope you went to the dance class. I'd love to hear about it. I hope you like The Classics. I think PS and BM2 are definitely easier than PUB and MM. PUB Bis are brutal. So do you think you might try the KB bootcamp in the park?

Have a great day!

Marcy

Marcy~ Great workout today!!! I like how its nice to see how quickly you can progress with kb's.:) For me, the seated press is the single hardest exercise on that dvd!! I did get to the 30# bell , but don't forget, I didn't use it the whole time (sweaty hands..will use gloves next time) but also, I was doing the pyramids using 20#db's for curls, so really with the 30# its like using 2 15#dbs. Does that make sense???:confused: I will feel good when I can use the 30# kb for the whole exercise.

What do you do with your wedding band/engagement ring when you work with the kbs? First I kept them on, and got a bad sore under my blister; then I took them off (better for using the kb) but have big knuckles so I had hard time getting them on and off and hurt my finger. I think I am going to have to leave them on.....Any suggestions?

Waves to Gin!!:)

Deanie - I've been keeping my wedding band/engagement ring on during my KB workouts. I usually wear gloves which I guess helps (I don't know why I didn't wear them today). I also have large knuckles. I can get them off without a problem but prefer to keep them on. I'm sorry I don't have any other suggestions.

I found a 25# Go Fit KB at Dick's for only $44.99 (plus $11.85 for shipping). I really didn't want to buy anything major right now but feel it's too good a price to pass up. This is the cheapest I've found it. If I get it, then I'll have 3 Iron Core Instructional DVDs! Hopefully I can trade them over at VF.

Your explanation makes sense about the crush curls. I'm ready for 25# on that exercise (especially on the curls, which is ironic because usually my triceps are stronger; go figure!)

Marcy

Thursday!!=)

Good Morning gals

Today was Ropes gone wild!!:eek: I used the dvd and my heart rate did get up, but not continuously, since it was a lot of stop and go. So I popped in my Santa MOnica dvd and did 2 sections of ropes from that. Then, since I had time, I did the following quick, but intense workout:
10 swings/10 pushups
9 swings/9 pushups
8 swings/ 8 pushups....you get the idea;)
down to 1 swing and 1 pushup.

I like the ropes, still not 100% sure how to use them. I think next time I use them as a "cardio" day, I will use the Santa Monica dvd and fast forward to the ropes only parts.

Gin~ where are you lately???? I hope everything is okay!! How is FF's rotation going?

Marcy~ Yoga today?? I have tried the kb with gloves, and I find it effects my grip and I have a hard time with snatches with the gloves on. Do you use lifting gloves or something else? Also, I have noticed some nice definition in my arms lately:D I've got the little V in my arms!! That is a really good price at Dicks for a kb, I am seriously considering getting another 25#kb for that price. Also I think I may get a gym boss. It may be helpful for ETK.

i.e. crush curls.... I think this exercise really works well!! keeping your arms by your sides and squeezing the bell is really effective!! I feel it so much more than doing just standard db curls.

Later gators:cool::)

Hi Girls!

Today was PS CST and BM2 CST then I did a little of Classical Stretch. Yesterday was 3 mile run and SJP abs and more stretching.

After 1 week of clean eating amd more water, I got on the scale and have GAINED .8 lb. and 3% bf.......WT%&$#@?!?!:mad: Am I doomed b/c of my age to have the scale creep up for no reason? Thank you for letting me vent.

Deanie~How was the exercise enrichment? That is right up your alley. I'll bet you were great with them!

Marcy~No, I was too tired to go to the dance class. I will probably not go with my friend to the kb boot camp class. I just wonder what they will be doing.

Sorry, my posts are not very frequent. I have been crazy busy. BLAH!:(

Have a great day!

forgot to post...Cathe has 2 new clips up. I didn't watch the stretch one although I am SURE it is great. I did watch 2-3 min of the weight one, and I am happy to say I made the right decision about canceling STS. ... still had a little bit of what if? going on....but not any more:):D don't mean to be negative, just feeling good about my decision and I know I can put it to rest!

Gin~ exercise was great yesterday! Great to hear from you, sorry you are so busy!

Marcy~ just checked out NewJerseycrossfit.com and I think I will be doing their "todays workout" on Saturday. Looks really good! check it out!

Good Afternoon!

Really busy day. I did Rodney Yee's Total Body Arm Balance Practice from the Advanced Yoga DVD. This one, like the hip openers, moves extremely quickly. He warns you of this before you start and that it may take a little time to get used to it. Amazingly, not one chaturanga vinyasa in the whole practice! Actually, I kind have used some to warm me up. He starts out on the ground and it seems every other position is cobbler pose. I did crane, side crane (for a couple of seconds), turtle (that's what he calls it but it's firefly in other books I've read), eight-limbed pose and attempted headstands which were hard because it moved so quickly. I have to admit my wedding rings/bands got in the way when I do headstand and have to clasp my hands so I'm going to have to take them off for that.

I also did one chinup and one pullup. Gearing up for those 75 pullups! (In my dreams!)

Deanie - Great workout! You're getting very creative with all your workouts. Someone asked a question on another forum about doing KBs two days in a row and here are a couple of responses:

(From the AOS site) - Kettlebells can be used at the same time for both strength and metabolic conditioning (cardio). Since it a total body strength and conditioning tool you may want to throw out the old upper/ lower body mindset and cardio vs strength training as this is a system that works everything together rather than a bunch of parts ala bodybuilding. You could to set up a plan to do light, medium, and heavy days for overall strength and the other days for speed conditioning.

From another poster: No problem because unlike traditional weight training you don't isolate and work your muscles to failure, Kettlebells are fuctional weight training, you use your entire body "to move the weight for "traditional" Kettlebells. Some months I only do a Kettlebells, since Kettlebells can be use for cardio, strength, and mobility you can pick which exercises that apply and only do those, even though it would still be a Kettlebell workout. Example: for cardio one day I would do swings, high pulls, and snatches, another day, for strength I do rows, presses, cleans etc. and another day for mobility I do windmills, and get ups. So yes it is possible to do Kettlebells everyday and some people only use Kettlebells for working out HTH

I saw both clips. The stretch doesn't look any different than her other stuff. I still might consider Meso 3 but I'm not in any rush.

I've also noticed more defined arms. They did get 1/2" bigger than before I started with KBs.

Gin - Did you read this blog: http://www.skwigg.com/id12.html Hopefully, it will make you feel a little better about the scale. Mine hasn't been budging either. I'm not eating perfect but a lot better than before the holidays. Age does have something to do with it. As we age, we lose muscle mass, so that's why it's doubly important that we strength train. (Although I'm realizing again I think I need to add back more cardio to my rotation.) Very frustrating. I feel your pain. Hopefully things will improve this month with all the strength training you're doing. I wouldn't get upset over one week. I weigh every day but take measurements every month.

Gotta go!

Marcy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.