Kettlebell Check In::::Tuesday 1.6

deanie

Cathlete
Good Morning

Today was a cardio day for me. I did 4DS boot camp, added 3 TGUs on each side with my 25#kb, and 100 swings with my 25#kb. I would have used my 30# for swings, but I did Empire state yesterday which is a "weight" workout, and I'm doing manmakers tomorrow, which is a "weight" workout, so I went light. Anyone know if I could have used the 30? Does it make a difference? I know you can use kb's on consecutive days, just not sure how to do that....

Andilynn~ good job with the 25#kb yesterday. I think I am going to try your formula of 2 HIIT and one steady state cardio a week, I like HIIT- short and sweet!;)

Pascal~ Ropes gone wild is a dvd from AOS, it shows you how to use the ropes for cardio. I got mine free when I ordered Santa Monica from AOS.

Gayle~ Love the workout yesterday. I would try it but 80 jump squats scare me!!!:eek: LOL! Can you walk today?

Jane~ OOOHH I'd love to use a 44#kb, that's a long term goal for me. I have a 35#kb, waiting for me to use for swings when I start Enter the kettlebell.

Vilma~ what kb workout did you do today?

Marcy~ Which do you like better? Lauren Brooks or Empire State? or are they the same?

Have a great day everyone!!

Gayle~ Love the workout yesterday. I would try it but 80 jump squats scare me!!!:eek: LOL! Can you walk today?

LOL!! 80 jump squats would scare me too! :D I did air squats, which are just regular squats using no weight...my butt is still kinda sore today, though.

Jane - I read an article over at www.dragondoor.com that reminded me of your 200 swings challenge. http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/104/

No kettlebells today. I've got a date with a heavy barbell at the gym.

Good morning to everyone!

Yuck it's another gray dreary day in Indiana again , but at least we missed the freezing rain!
Today is supposed to be a rest day but I may break out Newport when I get home later. Has anyone noticed the way kettlebells affect body composition? After just a few weeks of them I had results more along the line I was looking for, i.e slimmer arms and flatter stomach without most traditional ab work I think I really need to get of the poor eating trend I'ver been on after Xmas and see what results I can get! Although I'm not sure if I can do 80 jump squats! LOL! Thats something to aim for!

Hi Everyone, I've been lurking in this check-in to see if I could scam any good workouts. I liked your magic 50, Deanie!! I just got CLX, so I'm doing that with one day of kettlebell swinging per week for a cardio day. Here's what I did today if anyone wants to borrow it. First I need to explain Tracy Reifkind's roundabout in case you don't know it: I do it as a 10 swing thing -- 2- two hand, 2-R one hand, 2 two hand, two-L one hand, and 2 two hand. Does that make sense? So here's what I did:

10 two handed swings
1 roundabout
5 R-one hand swings, 5 L-one hand swings
1 roundabout
10 burpees
1 roundabout
10 alternating swings
1 roundabout
10 two handed swings
1 roundabout

So, 90 swings with 10 burpees sort of in the middle. I had planned to do this loop ten times, but ran out of time and only did it 8. I used my 12kg -- that's the heaviest I own. Each round took me about 2-1/2 minutes, and I rested until my heart rate was back between 140-145. On the last round, the burpees were making me feel like I was going to barf so I did 20 jumping jacks instead.

Have fun swinging!!

-Beth

Hi Kettlebellers!

This early am I did Empire State using my 12kg for a majority of the exercises and when I couldn't hang I went to my 8kg bell.

Soon after I finished the 2min. snatches w/ Beth I did my 200 swings in this order:
16kg- 40 reps
12kg- 40 reps
8kg - 20 reps
then a 1 minute rest and did the above again to complete the 200 swings.

Boy I was drenched and my body felt it all nicely.

Deanie I was waiting for you to post today's check in at around 6ish but ended up having to log out this morning to run out the door as I usually do.

Are you doing the Manmakers from Empire State? If so which do you do?

As to your question about the 30# bell - I would just go by how your body feels the next day - try it sometime and see what works for you.

Gayle
have fun at the gym today.

AndiLynn - we have had rain here for quite a bit also. I have also noticed the body composition thing also esp my inner thighs.
Enjoy Newport now that one is a fast one.

Beth Nice to see you over here posting. Sounds like you had a great workout today feeling as you have to barf is a good indicator to me lol.

picture.php

Hi Everyone!

Today I did 4DS Kickbox and the hip opener segment from Rodney Yee's Advanced Yoga.

Deanie - I guess for now I like KBW2 better than Lauren Brooks. Since the exercises are a little shorter and they rotate between lower, core and upper, I breeze through the workout much quicker. I also like the variety of exercises in KBW2 compared to Lauren's which repeats everything. I still liked Lauren's although I haven't done the 12-min. workout yet. There is also more core work in KBW2.

Beth - Thanks for the roundabout description.

Andilynn - I've been on the poor eating trend since Xmas too. I'm starting to log my eating again which always helps me.

Shywolf - I hope I get the same inner thigh results as you did!

Hi Gayle!

Marcy

Deanie: thanks for the info on Ropes Gone Wild. I love 4DS BC. I haven't worked out yet today (accidentally slept in), but would like to get a quick cardio in after work. Perhaps 4DS BC is just the ticket!

Andilynn: thanks for the info re HIIT and interval training. I can't believe you use Drill Max as steady state cardio. You are one fit woman!!!!

Shywolf: Great job on 200 swings! I've been trying to get in 100 swings a day (so far, so good) but would love to shoot for 200!

Marcy: I have Lauren's and like it a lot, but I do not have KBW2 (unless that is Providence, in which case I have it but have not tried it). I like the 12 min. Lauren workout as an add on.

Beth: Love that roundabout idea! I will have to try that sometime!

And to everyone here: Beth, Marcy, Deanie, Shywolf, Gayle, Andilynn - your workouts put me to shame! I am in awe over your fitness levels!! It is definitely an inspiration and something to strive towards!!

Hi Everyone!

I haven't done my workout yet but this is what I have on tap.

Tabata Special
8 rounds of Tabata Squats
Then: 100 jump rope, 25 Box Jumps
6 rounds of Tabata Squats
Then: 75 jump rope, 25 Box Jumps
4 round of Tabata Squats
Then: 50 jump rope, 25 Box Jumps

Then - 200 swings (I might do the swings first though)

Deanie - I read somewhere where you can do kettlebells on consecutive days but I can't remember where. On Saturday and Sunday, I did swings with 30# and 35# but last night went back down to 25# because my shoulders were feeling a bit fatigued. Right now I'm just going with how I feel. I know that this swing challenge is going to get tough.

Gayle - Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Andilynn - I have noticed the way kettlebells affect body composition. Even after only a couple of days of the 200 swings, I have seen changes. I ate crap over the holidays so I'm really concentrating on my eating now.

Beth - Thanks for the workout. Let me know if you need any workouts. I have TONS! I have a file folder of workouts that I haven't done yet. When I do one that I like, I type it up and put it in a 3-ring binder. Gayle has pointed me in the direction of some really good workout websites. BTW ~ burpees always make me want to barf! :eek:

Vilma - Congrats on doing the 200 swings. You will definitely see the difference soon. I'm on day 6 and already there are changes.

Marcy and Pascal - Hello and keep up the good work!! :)

Deanie sent you a pm to your Cathe account here.

Marcy I like Lauren's as well as Empire State (KBW2) for me Lauren's is more cardio in a sense but of all the kettlebell dvds I have I like them all for what they are. Now Newport (good lordy) I can't keep up with Anthony at all.

For the record I have KBW, Lauren's, Empire State (KBW2), Newport and Lisa Shaffer's new clinic dvd which I should be receiving in the mail shortly.

I honestly don't plan on buying anymore dvd's as I found w/ kettlebells you don't need them. So many great workouts that are found online.

Pascal I found doing the 200 swings after Empire State was icing on the cake and finished off today's workout. I think the way I was breathing helped also.

Jane you inspired me to start that 200 swing challenge and its really doable once you set your mind to it -right? I plan on continuing the 200 swings throughout this month the way I did this morning depending on how my body feels.

Not familiar with Tabata except I think its shorter rests? From what you wrote down it sure looks like an intense cardio.

Well Ladies I hope you all have an enjoyable Tuesday!

picture.php

Vilma - I agree with you about Lauren's being more cardio. The cardio-based ones are a little bit harder for me since I have asthma and sometimes get really winded. I usually need 1-2 min. rests.

I have Providence, Empire State, Lauren's, Newport, Firepower and Santa Monica. I've only done the first three. I don't think I'll be buying any more KB DVDs (except for maybe Amy Bento's upcoming KB workout since it's only $12.95). I've also gained quite a collection of KB workouts but I enjoy working out with DVDs better than on my own although I have done a couple on my own.

Hi Lioness!

Marcy

Hi guys!

My ropes came!!!! of course I had to tell you all before I even try them out!!:p

Gayle~ OH!! AIR squats:eek: . Still impressive;) Hope you had fun at the gym!

Beth~ I like your workout, I will definitely try this! Thanks:) Did you add this to your cardio, or was that your cardio for the day?

Vilma~ I wanted to wait to log on till my workout was done...feel free to start the thread though! Are you trying to do 200 swings a day or just on cardio days? I am so wiped after an AOS dvd workout, I don't think I could do 200 swings. I am doing the manmakers 2X on the Empire State dvd. I use my 20# dumbells and then the 30# kb for everything else--killer workout and I love it! I'm trying to work my way up to doing it 3X. (sent you a pm back!:))

Hey Marcy~ You know I love 4DS kickbox!;)

Pascal~ I hope you got your workout in

Lioness~ I really like your workout today! Are tabata squats air squats for 20 seconds on rest for 10 seconds, etc?

Hi Jane! I have found I really prefer using kettlebells on my own, rather than using a dvd, so I've become a workout packrat! But I'm always looking for more. If you have a file that's easy to send me, I'll gladly take it, but don't go to any trouble. I have some I could send you as well -- I think I may have your email address from when we were talking about authors/books, or was that all pm's? You can send mail to me [email protected].

Deanie, that was my cardio workout!! :D Don't remember calories burned, but average was 141, top 171. :rolleyes:

-Beth

Ropes....HARD!!! cardio....GOOD! so I may have my work cut out for me with the ropes....Anthony and Staci make it look so easy on the dvds and website. Its not as easy as it looks!;) But I did feel it in my core and arms and I only did it for about a minute!

Beth::: I have a file of 101 kettlebell workouts. If you are interested, I could send them to you.... I am more of a follow a dvd person myself, though lately not so much!:confused: Kettlebells are easier to do alone (as opposed to following a dvd) I think....maybe because of the pace?

Last edited:
Deanie, yes, I think the pacing has a lot to do with it. Sure, if it's easy, send me the workouts, though I may have it -- I have 101 something.....

I'm very curious about the ropes.... they look like they would take so much room that you'd have to do them outside somewhere. Where are you going to use yours and how do you anchor them and how much room do you have???? Inquiring minds want to know......

-Beth

Beth::: I work out in my basement which is pretty big. There are 2 poles down there. So I ordered a 40foot rope, got it today:), wrapped it around one pole, and it only takes up about 20 feet. They are harder than it looks, but do-able. I will send the 101 workouts!

Deanie yes I'm going to try to do the 200 swings daily if I can handle it (actually its not that bad at all, on a non workout day I could probably do more). I guess I'll just see how it goes. Some days I have more stamina than other days.

Those ropes sound fantastic but I don't have anyplace to place them at or anchor in. They do make it look easy but I would never have thought about ropes if I 'd not seen them in use over at AOS.

picture.php

Vilma - Yes, the 200 swings are doable. I imagine that at some point it's going to get challenging but I really want to see it through to the end.

Yes, Tabata is an interval type workout. You do 20 seconds of work/10 seconds of rest for 8 cycles.

Deanie - The squats are just air squats doing them as Tabata intervals.

I hope you like the ropes. I did them only once in boot camp. I only got one shot at them but they seemed like they could deliver an intense workout.

Beth - I scanned some of the workouts and will email them to you. If you don't have the equipment as prescribed you can always substitute something else.

Okay...the fitness center closed at 4:00, so no deadlifts for me!

Tabata Special looks cool, Jane. :D

Deanie - Do you know how much your rope weighs? I know some volunteer firemen and thought a length of old fire hose might work as well. I think they have to replace them after a while.

So today's workout ended being:

100 swings @16kg, then

As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of the following complex:
5 Cleans
5 Racked Squats
5 Push Press or Push Jerk
5 Snatch
5 Figure 8 to Hold
Go through all exercises with one hand, without putting down the KB, then switch sides. Try not to put it down as you switch as well.

This was hard...harder than I thought it would be. My hands and forearms are really fatigued. Then...

100 swings @ 16kg...VERY broken set...like a break 35...then 60...71...88...:p

Rest day tomorrow...for sure.

Hi Vilma, Beth, Marcy, Pascal, Andilynne!! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.