Perform 5 circuits of the following
*5 kettlebell snatches per arm
*5 kettlebell swings per arm
*10 burpees
*Rest 60 seconds and repeat--

since the kids were still sleeping I added on:
(I used my 30# kettlebell for this)
Must complete in 5 minutes---
(it took me 5 minutes to get thru 9, so I went to about 6ish minutes)
10 kettlebell swings + 1 burpee
10 kettlebell swings + 2 burpee
10 kettlebell swings + 3 burpee
10 kettlebell swings + 4 burpee
10 kettlebell swings + 5 burpee
10 kettlebell swings + 6 burpee
10 kettlebell swings + 7 burpee
10 kettlebell swings + 8 burpee
10 kettlebell swings + 9 burpee
10 kettlebell swings + 10 burpees

I hope everyone has a great Saturday!! DH is working, so the boys and I plan to kick back and relax!

Morning
Wow that is excellent stats. You really know your stuff. I'm new to k-bells and only have 3 w/o (both Iron Core and Lauren).

What are burpees?

Hey Deanie !

When did this check in start?

Just got my 16kg kettlebell yesterday and did a few rounds of swing ladders last night

Today I have cardio lined up but may play around w/ my 16kg again and do my own thing, I have On the Edge on tap for Sunday's wo.

Jeez I so do not need another check in but I couldn't resist this one lol

So where did you get this Magic 50 or is it one of your own?

Jazcam burpees are what Cathe calls squat thrusts

picture.php

Hi All,

I wasn't planning on checking in but here I am. Right now I'm on day 3 of 200 swings a day for the month of January. I'm doing it with my 30# kettlebell but I might try some with my 35lb. I already feel the difference.

That's all I can accomplish today but I did the following workout last night.

20, 16, 12, 8, 4 Reps Circuit Style

Kettlebell Swings R/L
Kettlebell Cleans R/L
Kettlebell Push Press R/L
Kettlebell split squat (lunge) R/L
Kettlebell One Arm Row R/L
Kettebell Anchored Sit ups

Burpees are squat thrusts with a push up in the middle.

Good Afternoon

Robin~ Hi!

Vilma~ We just started this thread today:) There is so much info about kettlebells out there on the internet. I got the magic 50 from a link on the AOS website,.... and the other I may have gotten from the od forum here? Have fun with the 16kg! I am starting Enter the Kettlebell in February, and I'm going to use my 16kg for the swings.

Jane~ I really like your workout from yesterday! I may try that next Saturday!! I just started swinging my 30# and the heavier bell does make a difference!

Have a great day!

Good morning to everyone!

No kettlebells today was for cardio and I'm trying to follow what I saw on the AOS website by doing one day of HIIT, one day of interval cardio and one steady state. I been getting such good results with the kettlebells that I thought I would take the cardio advice.I'm running into town tomorrow to pick up a 25# kettlebell, I can't get over how tough these workouts are in such a short time! I'm loving it!!!

Hi everybody - This is my first ever "check-in", sorry it's a little late in the day.

Deanie - All those burpees! :eek:

I made a sandbag the other day, and did some messing around with it, along with the KB.

Workout
- 10 minutes of sandbag get-ups (30 lbs)
- Tried to do 10 sandbag clean and presses with 50lbs. I got to number 8 and just couldn't get the thing overhead again. I think my eyes were bigger than my muscles...:D
- 30 sandbag power cleans (50lbs)
- 30 KB clean and jerk 15R/15L (16kg)
- 100 KB snatch 50R/50L (8kg)

Hi, all. Is this a closed check-in? If so, I'm sorry for posting and won't post any more if that is the case.

I really lost some of my cardio capacity and strength in 2008 (injuries and exercise burnout) but I would really like to gain that fitness back (while losing weight!;) in 2009. I just got my first kettlebells (I bought 15, 20, and 25 lb kettlebells when power-systems had their year-end sale). I have Lauren's DVD, which I've done once and loved, and I have AOS Providence and AOS Newport, though I have yet to try either. I plan on doing Providence several times before I even attempt Newport (from everything I've read; Newport is tough).

So far I've done 100 swings every day in 2009. I'd like to work up to 200 a day. I'm also keeping track of my pushups. So far I've done 100 total (spread out over three days). I like the idea of doing swings and burpees - though I know I'd need more than six minutes to complete what Deanie completed!

I have a few questions for you KB experts:

Aside from Lauren and AOS, are there other fun, challenging DVDs out there? What do you do for your kettlebell workouts? I saw something on Amazon today that seemed interesting. I think it was by Steve Cotter?? Sorry for being so naive - I'm not new to working out, but I am very new to kettelbells.

Did any of you purchase STS? If so, do you plan on putting your kettlebell workouts aside during your STS rotation? If not, how do you plan on incorporating the two?

Andilynn, in your post you stated you were doing a day of steady state, a day of HIIT, and a day of interval training (for cardio). What is the difference between interval training and HIIT? I'd love to get on a program that's gonna kick my butt in gear and get my heart and muscles into tip-top shape. I used to be able to do the Imax 2 interval only premix immediately followed by the Imax 3 interval only premix. Well, that's no longer the case, but I seriously hope to change that.

Thanks so much - I hope I'm not intruding.

Hi Pascal - I have AOS Providence, Newport, and Keith Weber's Extreme Kb Cardio. I think Providence and Newport could keep you busy for a while. ;)

I do a lot of my KB workouts without a DVD and frequently intermix KB exercises with non-KB exercises. New Jersey Crossfit's web site is a good place to check out workouts like that - http://www.newjerseycrossfit.com/.

I would love some info!!

What is the best kettlebell workout there is? How much is it to get started on the workouts? Can you link me to something helpful? I am a bit overwhelmed with the amount of info out there!!

Thanks!
Jessica

Kettlebells and kettlebell DVDs are expensive but I feel they're worth it. The cost depends on the weight. I got two 20 pound Go Fit Kettlebells at Target. The first one wasn't on sale and was $49.99. My second one was 20% off so I got it for $39.99. You won't really find them too much cheaper than that. Many people like Aders but they are the most expensive. The Go Fit Kettelebell at Target comes with Sarah Lurie's Iron Core Instructional Workout DVD. The exercises on it are: Turkish Getup, Two-Arm Swing, One-Arm Swing, Alternating Swing, Squat and Clean & Press. It is good to start with this. As for other DVDs, many people like Lauren Brooks Body Sculpting and Conditioning with Kettlebells DVD which comes with a 40 min. workout, a 12-min. fat blasting workout, a joint mobility section and a tutorial. Another good one is Kettlebell Your Way to a Perfect Body with Anthony DiUglio and Beth Chamberlain. This one also has a tutorial. It is a remake of Providence (which only has Anthony in it and there's no tutorial). It is basically the same DVD. One is filmed outside, one inside. I also like Kettlebell Your Way 2: Empire State. This one has a lower body exercise, a core exercise and an upper body exercise, each done for 1 min. with a minute break in between. There are 9 rounds in all. There is also a Manmaker DVD which has 2 minutes per exercise with 30 seconds of active rest; 3 moves total. They are:

Manmakers
Swings
Crush Curls

You can do the above round once, twice or three times through.

Lisa Shaffer (nofearfitness.com) has a great website which explains many kettlebell exercises. She also has a Kettlebell Basics DVD. She gives excellent and detailed form instructions.

I can't really say which one is the "best". Everyone has different preferences.

Marcy

Jessica - Marcy did a good explanation of the different type of ways you can workout using a kettlebell. :)

My 1st kettlebell was the 15# go fit one the rest are all from Perform Better.com I got the vinyl 8,12 & 16 kg due to I have hard wood flooring and enjoy the colors lol

Just to add on - Lisa Shaffer has a new dvd which is a workshop / clinic dvd I'm waiting for my copy to come in but its much cheaper than AOS clinic dvds.

If you can find a RKC in your area that would be the ideal way to learn kettlebells . Unfortunately I have no RKCs nearby so I need to be self taught studing dvds and AOS minute of strength videos which are also great for learning proper form.

Have a great evening.

picture.php

Now I am intrigued!! Do they work that much better than free weights? That's a big chunk of change if you need 3-4 different weights!

What is the advantage of using KB's?

Jessica

Jessica,

I find the advantage of using kettlebells is that you get more done in less time because so many of the exercises work multiple body parts. It is also like doing a cardio and strength workout at the same time.

Marcy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.