Jogglers Jan 2012: Happy New Year!

RapidBreath

Cathlete
I'm going to do the 4DS Kickbox/Bootcamp cardio premix this morning, I'm leaning towards yoga relax for this evening. Its sunny and pretty. Tomorrow will be a 4 mile joggle.

I have a couple of big goals this year.

1. I want to be able to run all the hills in my neighborhood. Thats a three mile loop, with wicked tough hills. I figure, I will just add another 10 seconds into each hill, and eventually, I should be able to do all of them. Its like Cathe says, I can do anything for a minute.;)

2. I want to run a half marathon this year. I may not do it with a race, but rather just do the distance around Folsom Lake, starting at Negro Bar (which sounds racist, but its the name of the location, and not intended as a racial slur, my best friend from Disney happens to be part African American.)

3. I want to lose 42 pounds. My plan is simple, I talk about it all the time, so that I don't forget because on my frame forgetting can turn into 10 pounds, like it did in the last 4 months. 2.5 pounds at a time sneaks up on you, and then all of a sudden, the clothes don't fit, and doing a Cathe workout seems so much harder than it used to.

My plan is as I said simple. I will eat clean, lower carb, and emphasize the veggies, in a reasonable calorie range. I will set my intent to lose weight daily by weighing myself before my workouts. I need to shift my thinking, its just a scale, its not demoralizing, its just information that helps me decide if today is a weight loss day, a maintenance day, or a bulking day.

My basic rotation hasn't changed, except I'm adding a circuit and on MMA workout to get an additional calorie burn and some strength training. I love those workouts but they don't cut it in the calorie department all by themselves and I am loathe to give up a single day of running. The running makes all the difference for me in terms of fat on my butt and thighs. I'm keeping my rotation variable, so that I can just move them around to accommodate travel, work, and weather.

My rotation (broken down.)
Day 1: Rest
Day 2: Jog/Walk, PM: Yoga Today Advanced
Day 3: Cathe Step workout; Shiva Rae Yoga
Day 4: Jog/Walk, PM: MMA
Day 5: Rest
Day 6: Jog/Walk; LIS series ckt (pick one)
Day 7: Cathe Step Workout (Plyos); Yoga Max

Cathe Step: LIS series LIC, Low Max, LIC (original) cardio premix, RS,
Cathe Plyos: Original Imax, Imax 2, Imax 3, Athletic Step, Body Max II cardio premix, Step Blast,

Do you gals have any big goals this year?

Alisha

HAPPY NEW YEAR LADIES!

Well, first, it was an amazingly quiet evening and night. Don't know why, but there wasn't a single pop from a firecracker all night long. Weird, but I'm not looking that gift horse in the mouth!

Alisha - You have really worked out and thought out your year! Kudos to you! Your first one is a doozy and I know you'll do it! I'm totally right there with you on the nutrition plan and workouts! I like that you've generalized it by type rather than setting specific workouts each day. I know you've pretty much done that all along, but I'm taking your lead on that!

I have tons of goals for this year and beyond! I'm doing Chalene Johnson's Push challenge again to refocus, but here it is:

1. Get organized in my life. Determine what's most important to me and stick with a plan to succeed!

2. Work on projects that will help me accomplish my "career" goal of working from home whatever that takes. Part of it is learning Chinese fluently and I'll figure out anything else I need to learn to get me there as I go this year. I have 3 years to get there, then I need to do my new job searches and be ready to take a job when Stephen does.

3. Vegan and raw vegan completely with no lapses by the end of 2012.

4. Stay consistent with my workouts from now on focusing on these things:

1. Running
2. Kickboxing
3. Yoga
4. Strength

I plan to do this by doing strength on Friday, Saturday and Sunday splitting upper body into 2 days around legs. I'm leaving strength for the weekend because they take me the longest and I will skip it during the work week knowing I have a limited amount of time to get everything done.

Cardio I will do Monday through Thursday incorporating running and kickbox mostly and sub a Cathe step or circuit with the kickboxing as I feel I want to. Also, in the warmer months, I'll be doing more biking and outdoor activities too!

Yoga I will do 2-3 days a week. I'll fit it in somewhere, either at the end of a run of after strength, so long as I work it in 2-3 days a week.

I WILL learn to make a weekly meal plan, shop for it and stick to it. Prepping whatever I can on each Sunday so I'm not spending a lot of time in the kitchen during the week, especially Monday thru Thursday.

Wow! That looks like a LOT, doesn't it? These are my biggest things. I also plan to spend more time reading and practicing my singing (just for me) because I love it so much, at least until I can afford to take voice lessons again!

I'm not making any specific weight loss goals! I just realized that! I suppose just accomplishing all of this will take care of that issue!

That's it! LOL! :eek:

Hi Jane! What about you? Any BIG plans for 2012?

As a side note:

Alisha - I just read your last December post. Take whatever JM says with a grain of salt, especially about raw food diets. She's totally against them and she never explains why. She has no scientific basis for it. The more of her podcasts I listen to and compare it to the reading I've been doing, the more I see her differently and don't agree with a lot of what she promotes. Do your own research or just read more books on nutrition and how foods affect the body. She's a great fitness instructor, but I'm not sure where she gets some of her nutritional information. I've noticed that she always has doctors on her podcast, but she's never brought a nutritionist or a raw foodist or vegan on her program to educate her or her listeners. I wonder about that.

Last edited:
Tricia- Duly noted about JM. I did think it was a bit odd that broccoli would pose a problem.

I am taking a yoga day. I did 4DS Bootcamp/KB yesterday, burned 500 calories, and now my calves are sore. I'm not sure which yoga I will do this afternoon. I tidied my room to make it possible. I ate really well today. I had 2 eggs in some coconut oil for breakfast. Lunch was lentils, a little roast beef (home cooked.) and broccoli. I have green beans for dinner.

I weighed in this morning, I guess that See's candy isn't diet food after all, because I put on 3 lbs last week. My weight loss goal this year is 45 pounds. I put it into Fitday and the graph says I need to have a deficit of 450 calories (roughly)/day. Thats not too bad, I can do that.

100 Kettlebell swings and Ilaria's Powerstrike #6 for me today! Just finished it up with a little extra hamstring stretching. Really need to do that every day! I love her as a trainer, but her bias really shows when she discusses nutrition. I've been reading lots of research about nutrition these days and you can't isolate a specific food or type of food. There are hundreds of thousands enzymatic reactions occurring in the body to digest and utilize the nutrients in our food and they work together, not independently. It's complicated and all we can really do is vary our fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds and legumes to maximize it as best we can! There is no perfect way to coordinate it. It doesn't sound like you're getting much for calories in your meals today, but maybe your portions are decent sized to make up for it?

Enjoy your yoga today! I'm going to go dry off and change clothes! It's back to work tomorrow. Blech!

Hi Jane!

Happy New Year!

I'm sorry I have been MIA. I spent most of New Year's Eve and day at mom's house and her computer is broken and yesterday...just busy.

Here was my last workout for 2011. I made it up and I ended up cutting down on the Crazy Manmakers. Originally I had 5 round of 5 reps. What was I thinking? I could only do 3 at a time and then had to rest.

Run 1 mile
10 rounds
30 seconds work/30 seconds rest of battling ropes
1 mile Run
5 Rounds of:
15 Heavy Swings
15 Jumping Lunges
15 Round house kicks r/l
1 mile Run
2 Rounds of 3 reps of Crazy Manmakers

I took a rest day on New Years and then ran 8 miles on Monday. It wasn't the best run but I did it. My legs were really sore so I rolled last night. It hurt but they feel better now.

Wow...you guys have great plans and goals for the New Year!

I'm hoping to concentrate on my diet more and prepare better foods in advance. I do this already but I'm not where I want it to be. I think I eat healthy but I want to do better. I need to eat a more variety of fruits and veggies and I don't do that now.

I just signed up for my 4th half marathon which will be in March. Right now I am signed up for 4 races - a 10K in January, a 10K and 12K in February and a 1/2 in March.

I have no real changes in my workouts except to continue to push and challenge myself with every workout.

I'm not sure I like having a running partner besides my sister. We are in synch with each other and we have similar paces. The lady that we run with is nice but she is very concerned with times and pacing and we are more relaxed runners. I don't really care about my time as long as I continue to challenge myself and have fun. I am more about fitness and being healthy than about shaving 10 minutes off my time. To me that comes with being fit and challenging myself. She also wants to talk when running and I find that distracting and hard. My sister and I only talk when we take walk breaks or are at a stoplight. So we'll see what happens with that. It is nice to have someone to go to races with so maybe that will evolve over time.

I am working out today but will do so inside as it will be chilly tonight - in the high teens and 20's. I'm not sure what I'm going to do but will check in later.

See you later...duty calls.

Last edited:
Hi Jane! You're excused from being absent! ;) Glad you had such quality time with your mom! Sometimes, no computer can be a good thing!

Diet is such a big thing! Just the smallest changes can make a huge difference! You can do it, Jane!

Congrats on already being lined up for 4 races! I just want to be able to run again without my lungs exploding after a mile! :eek: :(

Running or working out with someone new can be a tough adjustment when you're accustomed to something different! Maybe she'll decide you aren't what she needs to make progress and beg out. I get mad at Stephen when he pushes a bit too much, but him being my husband, makes him an okay running partner anyway! lol :eek:

I'm proud to say I've been successful at working out 3 days in a row! I'm keeping up with my 100 KB swings so far. Now, all I need are 2 more days of yoga this week and I'll be doing great!

As badly as I want to lose weight, I refuse to get on the scale! I'm going to try to just keep working out every day and controlling my food better. I've had a mostly vegan day today. I didn't have oatmeal, so had a belgian waffle for breakfast which was made with eggs and milk, but I had to eat! I did use real maple syrup with no HFCS.

Nave a great night, Jane!

Hi Alisha!

Wanted to check in this morning and tell you guys that I did AOS Firepower. I chose the 4-alarm (twice through with short rests). Then I did 100 swings afterwards. I forgot how fun that workout is. I'm feeling it this morning.

I'm taking a rest day but will try and do my 100 swings tonight. I have to color the hair tonight.

Tricia ~ I know the diet is the key. I have a new recipe that I'm making over the weekend that has beans. I'm not a big bean eater so I figure this will be a good start.

Right now I'm taking it a run at a time with Lisa-jan (running partner). She is pushing me and I hope that it will help Jean out in the long run. It's just different. Jean gets mad at me when I push her too much so I have to learn not to do that. The only time I make her run hard is when we hear the train coming. If we get stuck my the train we have to either run around it, which is another 5 blocks out of the way or wait for it to go through which takes forever sometimes.

Good job with the workout and the swings. I'm going to try to do them everyday, even though I missed the first 2 days. I'm so happy that you are not looking at the scale. If you can, try to do it once a week if you have too.

Hi Alisha!

So I'm at work right now and it is in the 20's here. I was taking stuff out of my car to dump at recycling and this guy got dropped off at the office across the way but there was no one to let him in. I have seen him before yet I was hesitate to say come over here and wait. So I went inside and then felt guilty and asked him to come in and wait. He was very grateful. He is English, I think and he told me his brother is the lead guitarist for Faith Hill. He told me he is a drummer and invited me to hear him play sometime. Then he thanked me and kissed my hand. LOL!! It was so funny. I left him up front and went into my office. I don't know if it was the best thing to do but he seemed harmless. Thankfully 2 of my guys showed up about 15 minutes later. He just left. Now I have to go wash my hand.

I change my mind

I forgot to do my yoga last night. I watched Hawaii 5-0 instead. I think that couch must have a gravitational pull in the center, cause trying to get back up is like impossible. :p Like I change my underwear and my rotation lol. I decided to do CW as produced. I haven't done that in forever. I haven't been getting much in the weights department. Anywhoo, yesterday I had home made pizza and two cookies for lunch and today I'm down a lb and a half. Go figure.

This morning I baked some banana walnut bread for the guys. I plan to spend the day on the computer doing data entry, its that time of year, company self audit time.

Jane- I love home made beans, I buy mine at the co-op and they are soo tasty! What a neat run in with a drummer, but yes definitely go wash, I know where drummers usually have been!;) I used to play fiddle in lots of different amateur bands when I was a teen.

Tricia- I love maple syrup. That reminds me, I have buttermilk, I could make pancakes.

I will do my yoga today, for real, I pinky promise. I'm sore from yesterday. Tomorrow will either be a joggle or a Cathe step workout. I was good this morning, I had a tiny bowl of organic milk/fiber cereal. I must admit, that cereal looks like mouse droppings. It isn't. but still. . .:confused:

Catch you gals later,

Alisha

I'm am going for a run after work - most likely 3 miles. It is warmer today and will be warmer tomorrow. Yay!!

Alisha ~ Have fun with yoga today. What kind of cereal did you have? I gave up cereal because I couldn't find anything healthy that I liked. So I mainly have egg whites, eggs or waffles.

I was really hungry yesterday for some reason but I didn't have anything bad to eat. I was thinking of the leftover Christmas cookies at mom's but luckily was too lazy to head out there and get some. So I was good. :)

Hi Tricia!

I did enjoy yesterday's yoga. I'm leaning towards the original Imax for mid morning. I'm a little pooped right now. I ended up skipping dinner last night after yoga, I just wasn't hungry at all. I did make a lovely batch of super chocolatey brownies yesterday. I shared them with my Dad and I only ate two.:D I also had an apple/cheese and some lentils/coconut oil. This morning I had a banana, I plan on a brownie post workout, and I'm thinking I might make some home made vegetarian chili. I'm planning on broccoli and chicken drumsticks (foster farms of course) for dinner.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing today. I may just study online. My mom has a short work day and we often spend time together on Fridays.

Jane- I like Smart Bran from Nature's Path. I do only eat the 2/3 of a c. serving size because you don't want too much fiber;) Don't worry, it doesn't taste like mouse:p

Tricia-Did you get a workout yesterday?

Alisha

Alisha ~ Thank you for the cereal recommendation. I will check it out.

Brownies sounds wonderful!!! I get my cheat meal tomorrow so I'm going to mom's to get some Christmas cookies. I can't wait.

Hi Tricia!

Here's my workout for tonight. It is in the 70's today and beautiful!

Racked Lunges - 5 Rounds - 5x each leg
Run down the block and back
2 Rounds of - 50 squats, 25 Ball Slams, 50 Swings and 25 Sit ups
Run down the block and back.

TGIF!!

Hi ladies!

I swear I checked in every day! Sheesh! I have not worked out the last few days, including today, but I have gotten some good reading done! Finished my Becoming Raw book tonight. It will be a continued great reference book! I'm only a few chapters away from finishing 30-Day Vegan Challenge and I can start a new one!

Jane - I love listening to the Brits talk! Glad he turned out okay and wasn't a creepy dude! Still, you were right to wash. Never know where those lips have been! lol

Glad someone has been keeping up the workouts these last few days. I hope to get moving again tomorrow!

Stephen is taking the Mini in for a new windshield tomorrow. It's been needing one. The crack has been getting longer over the last couple of weeks with the cooler weather. I hope this is the last one it needs for a while! I hope to get more reading in while he's gone!

Have a great night!

Happy Saturday! I did an upper body workout this morning. It's beautiful outside.

DB Complex - Three Rounds of 6 reps each of: rows, presses, side lateral raises, bicep curls, hammer curls, tricep kickbacks, OH tricep extensions, push ups.

Then 6 Rounds of Battling Ropes 30 secs work/30 secs rest. There were 3 of us so our rotation was ropes, halos, rest, repeat.

Then 6 Rounds of 1-arms swings 30 secs work/30 secs rest - switching arms every 30 seconds. We took a 1 minute rest after every 2 rounds.

Then 6 Rounds of Double KB Clean and Press - 30 secs work/30 secs rest

I just got done cleaning the bathroom. I hate cleaning the bathroom. :mad: Later I will take my friend's dog Maggie for a walk in the park.

Hi Alisha - Hope you have a great Saturday!
Hi Tricia! Glad to see you back here. I love reading. Glad you have some good reference books for vegan and raw eating.

Great workout Jane!

I hate cleaning anything! lol At least you have it out of the way! Enjoy your walk with Maggie later!

Yes, I have finished both books now and can pick something new! This is the hard part!

sigh

Today is a shiva rae yoga day. I was too sore to run. I ate pretty well today. Tomorrow will be either a jog or more rest depending on how sore I am. That original imax sneaks up on you.
Breakfast was a small brownie and a left over chicken drumstick.
Lunch was some tomato/corn/quinoa soup (home made) two cuties, and one small slice of banana nut bread (home made.)
Dinner was more of that soup (no quinoa) and a small home made brownie (the coconut oil one.)

Jane- I hate cleaning the bathroom too!

Tricia- What is your favorite raw meal?

Alisha

Hi Alisha! Oooh, yes, IMAX can really hurt you! Hope the yoga helps reduce the soreness! I don't really have much of a favorite yet because I haven't really tried a lot of different ones, but the raw marinara sauce is awesome with zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash. I also love the guacamole over portabella mushrooms with a little nama shoyu.

I haven't done a thing workout wise since Tuesday. Hoping to get moving tomorrow! We shall see. I really need to get going again!

Happy Monday!

Yesterday I went for a long 9 mile run. Then came home and did stuff around the house and then went to my friend's house to take Maggie on a walk. We walked for an hour. It was so beautiful outside. Poor little Maggie was wore out and so was I!

Here's the workout for tonight. I'm sticking with upper body.

As Many Rounds as Possible in 25 Minutes:
10 Swings
10 Push ups
10 Upright Row
5/5 Kettlebell Push Press
5 Mr. Spectacular
5/5 One arm Row
5 Walkouts
Finisher - Double kettlebell overhead walk as long as you can around the yard.

Alisha ~ Hope you have a good jog/hike. Your tomato/corn/quinoa soup sounds good. I had homemade soup last night - chicken, spinach, bean and basil soup. It was really good. We have leftovers too!

Tricia ~ I hope you got your workout in today!!!

Hi ladies!

Alisha - I hope your jog/hike was nice!

Jane - You rock your workouts, girl! You get so much daily activity! I sit on my ass all day long every day. It's no wonder that's all I want to do on the weekends, too. You'd think it'd be the opposite!

Was lazy this weekend and didn't get to the grocery store. I also had a hard time with my meal plan and getting the list started that it was too late on Sunday to go. Was supposed to go tonight, but was tired because I didn't sleep well, then got up early. Couldn't focus enough to go. MUST do it tomorrow!

Have a great night you two!
Got it all except my 100 kettlebell swings. Mel is helping me get up in the mornings by texting me to get up! lol I put my phone under my pillow so I feel the vibration! It's so cold when I get up! That's the worst part! It takes so long to get dressed and get my workout started and warm up. Brrr! I'm already counting the days until it starts to get warmer!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.