HATE - Nov 5

August

Cathlete
Hi there!

I just finished Better Burn Better Buns...LOVE! It was a lot of fun and I got that weird (good) not hot but sweat it trickling thing, which I love, especially when I don't feel like I'm putting in all that much effort. ;-)

And one more good thing - I balled together my two ankle weights to make my own soft medicine ball, and it totally worked! I looped them together so that there were holes for me to put my fingers through, so it was easy (well, relatively easy) to pass the thing back and forth to each hand. Yay! I don't have to order the balls from overseas after all!

So like, does that mean I can add more workouts to my list? :) Should I get the TLT core one, Michele?

I viewed a few more yoga workouts on various homepages and became anxious on hearing so many of them featured the extreeeeeeeeeemely annoying musicial instrument, the dijiridoo. I REALLY, REALLY hate this instrument, and it really gave me the spooks about all the yoga workouts I'm thinking to get. A very, very occasional sitar or bell is all right, but BIG NO on the dijiridoo. Just hearing it playing in the background is enough to turn me off of the entire workout. I've also got a big problem with pan flute. Diane, if you know of any yoga workouts with this, WARN ME, I BEG YOU!!

Diane - Ooh, you guys did your anniversary West Side! "When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way!" Glad to hear it was so fun.

So, achem, did you do your workout? If not, I think I might be obligated by your contract to scowl at you.

Kate - New computer, yeah! Is your server all fixed up, too?

Okay. It's Sunday, but it don't mean a thing to me. I'm off to do some work and then some yoga stretching, of course! :*

Hi August:

Where are you from in Oregon? My DH and I have gone to Bandon, Oregon (just south of Coos Bay) to vacation for like the past 7 or 8 years. So nice to get away from the high desert where I live. Actually, it's on the edge of the desert, edge of the forest so we get the best of 2 worlds.

I did the stretch today from Butts & Guts and liked the music. If I remember right, it had piano in it. Do you play the piano in your composing?

I have a bike ride tomorrow morning at 10:00 a.m. but am thinking of getting up early and doing a little yoga. Maybe some Shiva Rea.

I'm really not a true hater of cardio. But I don't like to be bored doing too simple of stuff. Otherwise, I find myself looking at the clock a lot. Christi's stuff flies pretty fast.

I'm trying to think what a dijiridoo looks like. Hmmm... guess I could do a google of it.

I did the same thing with my ankle weights with the TLT's until Rhea from our KK's check in gave me some balls. Think she gave me a 3 and 5#er. I've only used the 3# and that was enough.

Finding Your Core has Susan Harris and I liked it okay. I did notice that she seems so breathless, but I can overlook that. I do need to revisit these. I decided I am doing Cathe's November rotation this month. How long before you get your new Cathe's? So far I've done Butts & Guts and Low Impact Circuit, and enjoyed both of them, if you call your cheeks on fire as enjoyment. Loved the Firewalkers. She has some new exercises in B&G, lots of variety. Pretty long workout so will probably do some mixing and matching and the premixes as I usually only work out for 1 hour during a work week and a little longer on my day off and weekends (I work 4 10-hour days a week).

I'm hoping to shock my body with this November rotation. Hope I don't shock it so much that I get sick. I've avoided it so far.

Jeanette

August!!

Oh yes, BBBB is a good one! Finding Your Core is my favorite TLT - well - it's a toss up between that and BBBB. Core, butt, and leg work is the most fun for me. It's really just the cardio I hate, unlike you who seems to LOVE cardio--LMAO! I'm glad you can use your balled up ankle weights for a squishy ball. Your resourcefulness is admirable.

I did a cardio coach workout today and used my HRM for the first time. It's a chest strap that came with my elliptical. It doesn't have the watch thingy--instead, your heart rate is displayed on the console of the elliptical. I don't know what to make of it. It's pretty accurate. When I checked my pulse against the machine it was within a point or 2, but I was startled by the difference between my perceived rate of exertion and how hard my HRM said I was working. I'm not sure what to make of it. I'll need to ponder this for awhile. I was in the anaerobic zone long before I FELT like I was. Hmmmm - do I go with the readings or my own subjective feelings?

I LOVE Japanese pears - well - ALL pears! My mouth was watering at the thought of eating nuts, seeds, and pears, a combination I often snack on. You were asking about the safety of raw nuts. Well, I found some documentation that will prove raw nuts are not only safe, but healthy!

http://www.scarysquirrel.org/current/redgallery/redskwerl5.jpg

http://www.scarysquirrel.org/current/lovey/ground/squirrel114.jpg

Look at their shiney coats and bright eyes - you can just sense their amazing energy. If raw nuts are good for them, they're good for mom, too. (I am absolutely FIXATED on squirrels!).

Nighty night

:* :*

I came back to say hello to Jeanette. Hello Jeanette! I'm doing the November rotation, too:eek: ;( . I may need emotional support--lol!

I agree, Susan Harris does get a little winded, but hey, so does Cathe in this new series. Susan doesn't look that great IMO, but I still like that w/o quite a bit.

Okay, I'm off to bed now. See ya in my morning :*

Jeanette - Would you believe that I was born and raised in Portland, Oregon and have never even heard of Bandon? LOL. That's awful of me!

Another awful thing of me - I haven't ordered the new Cathe yet. I actually ordered a major load from Cathe just a few months ago and I'm still getting around to trying them all out.

Oh, I agree with you on Christi. Her cardio flies by because it's so dang fun. And the music is fun, too. Do you know that Christi converted me from a cardio hater? I never thought it would happen. She's my God.

Oh, a dijiridoo. Lucky you for not knowing what it is LOL. It looks like an enormous smoking pipe - like, when I say enormous pipe, I mean, it's often the size of, or bigger than, a person. The person blows in and out of the mouth hole, and the rest of the instrument sits on the floor. The only thing cool about it is that the instrument is made naturally, by ants, I think. It has a very low, reedy, rather unstable, waivering sound to it, and the technique for blowing into it calls for circular breathing, so that the sound is continuous. A continuous, low, reedy, unstable, waivering hippy hell to me. LOL.

And it seems to be in many yoga workouts. This frightens me.

I do all my work on an electric keyboard. But it has tons of authentic piano samples inside it so that it can sound like a Grand Piano or any other piano (or other instrument...probably even a dijiridoo...and of course, lots of percussive instruments for beats, as well).

You know, I just realized I've been talking a whole lot about raw nuts and squishy balls these days. Not an important point, but something to mention nevertheless.

Haha, yeah, shocking the body into health is good, into sickness ain't so good! Have a great bike ride!

Oh, and hey, Michele and Diane are also doing the November rotation. Or at least "saying" that they are. LOL.

Michele - Okay, FYC is now on my mongo list. I can't believe that you like working your legs. I hate leg day.

Oh, good, you tried out your HRM! Isn't it fun? I totally agree with you on the perceived rate of exertion compared to what the HRM tells you. Sometimes I'll be steadily humming along and suddenly it'll beep like crazy, and I'll be, "wha?!"

OMGOMGOMG, those squirrels are SOOOOOOO cute. I love animals so much! They're eating nuts! Raw nuts! Awww, look at their tiny hands! So cute!!

I'm relieved that it's okay for my mom to eat them, too LOL. I'm cooking fish again for us tonight. This time I'm thinking I'll actually cook the fish to completion. LOL. Hey, maybe I'll top it with some crushed nuts.

Or maybe I won't.

I'll think of you later this evening when I'm snacking on my nuts and pear!

Hope you're having a nice sleep!

Good morning haters!

Hey August, how'd your fish turn out? Nuts with fish? Hmmmmm...OMG! Check out this cool website! http://www.kaleberg.com/recipes/fishandnuts.html

I'm so glad you explained the dijiridu thingy. I meant to ask about it in my post ^^^ there but I forgot. I googled it because, of course, I just had to hear what it sounded like--LMAO! I would totally go insane if I had to listen to that while doing a workout. Can you imagine asking Cathe to include dijiridu music on her next DVD?--LMAO! If anyone is interested, here's a link:
http://www.aboriginaldidgeridoosaustralia.com.au/

So August, do you ignore your HRM or do you lessen your intensity to bring your HR down? This is very perplexing to me and I'm starting to wish I had never hooked the %*^&( thing up--lol! Ignorance IS bliss after all. My elliptical has a fitness test program and DH and I are goining to do that today. I'll let y'all know how it goes. ;(

No workout for me today. I'm gearing up for tomorrow and the first day of Cathe's Nov rotation;( :eek: . I cannot believe I'm doing this. I must've had a momentary lapse in judgement. Jeanette, I hope it doesn't make me sick, either;( :eek:

Diane, have you previewed your DVD's yet? I still have 3 to look at. I'm going with the 5 week rotation (I figured I better not push it--I know me sooo well:p ) and it calls for Drill Max;( :eek: ;( :eek: ;( .

Kate, a new computer!! That's exciting. I've been having computer problems lately and wondering if I should start looking for a new one. What kind did you get? And how about your internet service--is that any better? I'm glad you're liking your new workouts, but knowing what an intensity junkie you are, this makes me very nervous;( :eek: ;( :eek: .

Dana, Janjan, Ellen, how goes it for you?

I'm off to scrounge up some breakfast. See ya later:*

%#&+x( @!!x#%>x( <#!!!

GAWD, I HATE THAT SOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO. Well, I had to check out the link, didn't I?

Yeah, that's the sound, and I heard it on a bunch of yoga samples. For me, only pan flute can rival that sound.

Oooh, salmon and nuts. :) Oh, I love parsley, too. That actually sounds really good. And doable. ;) Except I don't like butter, but I bet I could do that without. Muwahaha! Maybe I'll have to try that out. Tonight's fish was good, by the way, and cooked, too LOL. This is still the batch of fresh fish my friend sent (I froze it). One of the items was fish that became fish jerky (on purpose!!! no lie, hah). The other was just a filet, so I didn't have to behead anything tonight which was a nice treat. :*

Oh, I love the little ol' fitness tests these HRMs come with. Good luck :+ . At first I would listen to my HRM, then I read up on it and there was so much about "stay in this limit" and "go over this limit" and blahblablah, so I decided to just ignore it and do whatever feels good. Besides, the most rewarding part of it is seeing the calories burned. :7

I cannot believe you're going to do that rotation. Again, I bow down to you! I'm totally root root and rah rah ing for you guys!

Okay, now to do some yoga stretches. :D

August, that link I posted for fish and nuts - it will give you a new recipe every time you click the "press here for a recipe" button. Oh, my DH will love that website!

I'm glad to know you ignore your HRM--LMAO! I think I will, too. I mean, for crying out loud, I wouldn't burn any calories if I followed that thing:) .

Hey, I just updated my browser and it has an automatic spell checker that works for forum posting :p :D . I'm loving that. Now I will look smart:7

I cannot believe I'm doing that rotation either. I'm quite certain I will modify--A LOT:eek: :7

I need to round up my DH and figure out what we're doing for breakfast. (This spell check thingy is taking up a lot of time--lol! And it does not like words like "thingy", or abbreviations like LOL!--LMAO) :p

I just ate half a cold banana with organic peanut butter. Is that not good for midnight? :p

It gives you a new recipe every time you click that thing?! OMG! I would never have known that! I gotta check that out again!

Spell check in the forum posting section? I'm jealous! As you know, I do my longer posts in an email and then copy it onto here...so that I can use my spell check! LOL. If I didn't, I'd be sitting here forever editing my mistakes. :*

Girl, even if you modify mucho, you'll STILL be getting a kicka$$ workout doing that rotation.

I suppose spell-check wouldn't like kicka$$, either :) .

Hi Haters,

Michelle, I'm glad you've committed to doing the November rotation. I'm sure I will be doing premixes as I only usually have 1 hour to work out before work. Here's a link that lists what the premixes consist of. I'm thinking it will be pretty helpful for me and hope it is for you too. I printed them out and will keep them handy.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=94096

I previewed BodyMax2 last night and it looks good, but long. The step part looks fun but very modifiable. I did have a MAJOR freeze in it around 55. It froze and I couldn't even fast forward, skip, eject or anything. Had to turn off the DVD and then start over.

Michelle, I have a HRM too, but I can't use it near the TV as it won't work. Goes to zero or sticks. Mine is an M32 model. It even malfunctions when I ride my bike alongside big power lines. I only use it for my Cardio Coach workouts now. If I do a Spinerval in the house, I have to have the bike situated at least 3 or 4' from the TV for it not to malfunction. The company told me that was normal. A PITA.

August, Bandon, Oregon is on the coast about midway down. Actually, Coos Bay is the bigger town north of Bandon. Bandon is about 20 miles south of it. Small, touristy and right on the Coquille River.

I think squirrels are eaten in the South.

I have a bike ride shortly so better get off this thing and get ready.

Jeanette

Hi Ladies -

Sorry I am checking in so late. I woke up feeling like crap this morning (cold) but I feel better now.

Yes, I started the November rotation yesterday!!! The 4 week rotation called for BM2, HOWEVER, I am so out of shape, that I only made it through the 30 min step segment. I am planning on doing the rest of the dvd today. I might end up extending the rotation this way, since there is no way I will be able to do an hour and 1/2 workout when I haven't worked out consistently for months.

I was pretty proud of myself for getting through the step section without previewing first. It was not too complicated, and I got all the steps after a few tries.

ETA: I had to move from an 8 inch step down to a 6 inch step because I am SOO OUT OF SHAPE!!

> I think squirrels are eaten in the South.

:eek: O :eek: M :7 G. LMAO.

Yay to Diane for starting her rotation!! It doesn't matter how you do it, it matters that you're doing it...and that's awesome!

As for me, I'm up a bit late since I couldn't sleep last night. (Michele, are you sleeping? LOL) I've got some nice DOMS from yesterday's BBBB, especially in the obliques towards my back, which is nice! What on earth move did I do yesterday that worked those muscles? Yippee! I don't get DOMS there often.

Today is supposed to be "challenge" day, which I guess is supposed to be a circuit, and since I have no FIRM, I'll be doing my brand new CIA 2303 Keli Roberts Step It Strong, which I read some reviews for last night that said pretty much everyone sold their copy of it LOL. Hope I won't be one of them!

Off to digest. :*

So I finished BM2 tonight. Those power circuits are killer. I couldn't even use weights for my legs, they were fried. Overall I love the workout. It is definitely something to build up to doing the whole thing.

Hi,

Way to go, Diane, for finishing your BM2. Sounds funny. I'm sore from yesterday's Butts & Guts but not cripplingly sore. Might have been from stacking wood afterwards. I did feel it on the bike ride today, right in the cheechees. Loved the firewalkers.

Not sure what premix I'll be doing of BM2 tomorrow. Maybe the whole thing as I'll have a little extra time before work. I plan on using the 6" step. No need to get all that crazy.

I think doing premixes or any segments of the actual rotation counts for doing it. Heck, I can modify so much you wouldn't even recognize it as Cathe's November rotation.

August, don't remember if I told you, but I did listen to what a dijiridoo sounds like on the link, but I don't recall any of that in the 30 minute Quickie I did this morning of Eoin Finn's PY4H. I'm not that sensitive about music, I guess, but really, I don't remember any of that sound.

After my bike ride today (27 miles), I came home and previewed Drill Max. Previewing always makes me sleepy for some reason. It does look good and modifiable. I did have another freeze, but it cleared up in a few seconds, unlike BM2 that stuck and I had to turn my DVD player off and then on to get it to eject.

Jeanette

Way to go, Diane!! I'm so proud of you:+ :D

Netta, I'll definitely be doing LOTS of modifying and relying heavily on premixes. I consider myself an intermediate exerciser--slightly more advanced in some areas, and leaning towards a beginner (think cardio) in other areas. I have an arthritic hip which can't take the pounding so I don't ever use risers for step aerobics.

I think B&G will kill me:eek: :7

So, Diane and Jeanette, you must be following the 4 week rotation because the 5 week plan starts with Drill Max. I was going to follow the 5 week but maybe I'll just do what you're doing so I'll have someone to commiserate with. I haven't previewed BMax 2 yet so I guess I better do that.

August, I'm wide awake but it's only 9:45. I just finished dinner--I made chicken cacciatore for my darlin' DH upon his request. I'm stuffed but at least it's a relatively healthy dish. However, the carrot cake I'm about to eat is NOT}( :eek: :7 ;( .

Congratulations on your DOMS:p:) How many workout DVD's do you have now?--LMAO!

I'm getting verrry nervous about this rotation. *INHALE* *EXHALE*

I have a lunch date today (no, nothing to get excited about), so I'll have to do my Step It Strong mid-afternoon. But I did clean my apartment because my schedule told me so.

Diane - Congrats on BM2! I agree with Jeanette, in that it sounds funny. It sounds like it should be posted on a colon cleanse thread LOL.

Jeanette - You know, you have a really funny dry sense of humor. Crackin me up! Anyway, I am sooooooo happy to hear that there possibly probably isn't any of that reedy he!! sound in Eoin's yoga. So what are you sensitive about in workouts? I have problems with annoying sounds, and that includes whooping. I particularly hate when an instructor or background exercisers say, "Whoo!" "Uh ohh!" "I feel it!" and "Yeah!!" It's enough to make me want to use the DVD as a Frisbee right out the window. Previewing makes you sleep...LMAO.

Michele - That chicken dish of yours must really be awesome. I can just imagine it....ohhHHhhhhhHHhh. Followed by carrot cake? OohoOOHHHhhOO! I love carrot cake. Isn't that a vegetable? Nothing unhealthy with carrots, right? LOL. How many workouts do I have now? Haaaaaaaaa. :* :*

Oops, gotta go for my lunch now.

Later!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.