Hardcore Maniacs Sunday Oct 17th

megadoo

Cathlete
Good morning. I was so busy yesterday, our new carpet was installed upstairs and then we had a Halloween party for the kids to go to. You can imagine my eating.....:(.
Anyway, I am planning Burn Circuit 1 today. THen a birthday party for my cousin.

DS- to answer your question from Friday; Burn it Off is 26 minutes I believe, but it is pretty intense. Good burner. I like Chalean. Alot diff from Cathe tho.
Pros- good workouts, fun, good motivator, good crew in her wo's, length of workouts are good for time crunched.
Cons- her warmups and stretches are just about the same for each workout BORING. Her stretching leaves much to be desired. Hardly any upper body stretches at all. It bugs me how she does two or three reps, then walks around checking everyone's form. I like it much better how Cathe does everything with you.
All in all, i do like her stuff. She does talk alot lol. Most importantly, I get great results adn that is what matters right?!

OK, I better get my day going!

This morning I did Brook Benton's Kettlebell Butts and Guts Express cardio and Express abs with the stretch 29:45 min 221 cal Max HR 161. Awhile later I did Bob Harper's Yoga Warrior 59 min and 235 calories. Total time spent 89 min and calories burned 456. I would have taken today off but am leaving to visit my Dad Thursday and will not return till Sun so that will be my recovery.

Meaghan, I am glad to know that Chalene is different. Different is good. It keeps our bodies guessing. It also keeps things interesting. If it was all the same we would get bored and want to give up:) Tony does a lot of that walking around too. I am like how can you stand there, walk around and talk to us? I do like that about Cathe. Some of the others do give good form pointers though. It just gets old over and over. I like different things to keep it interesting. Not to enable or anything but Chalene has some good stretches on her Turbo Fires. Stretch 40 on the first set and Stretch 10 which has some nice upper stuff on it but it is on the advanced set. I highly recommend that one. It costs less, has the Hiit 30, Fire 60 longest cardio with the fires, upper body tubing and lower body with the band tied, Stretch 10 which is around 12 minutes and has some good upperbody stretching.

I don't have any Chalean, but my best friend likes her workouts. I don't think I'd care as much for the walking around checking form...it would just seem a little contrived to me, I think.

Diane, that's cool you got some yoga in; wasn't that the part you had to skip on Saturday?

I just finished a short workout. I did the 30 min upper body premix from Amy's Slo-Mo, abs from Tracey's Hi/Lo Med Ball, then a little plank work on my own.

Went to Disneyland today and walked around a bit. It was waaayy crowded, more so than I've ever seen it, I believe. We didn't go on any rides, but it was nice to walk around a bit with fiance (we have annual passes, so it's no big deal to go and not do much).

It's late, but wanted to post now because I have a busy morning.

Meaghan - Sounds like a fun, busy weekend. Hope you enjoyed your workout today (if you were able to find time :) ).

Diane Sue - Like the mix of kb's then yoga. I think I enjoy yoga more sometimes if my muscles are warm when I start. Well done :)

Roselyn - Short and sweet today (but not easy). You are very good about getting in ab work consistently :)

Hermia - How fun (the Disneyland walk). I guess if you're used to it, it's not such a big deal but I have never been there. I've been using some of the exercises from Amy's Slo Mo this week, too. She has some pretty unique twists on the basics. Not easy stuff :).

Saturday, I did S&H Chest and Triceps. Each set had 8 reps. My count was down for 5 [or 4, depending on the set], hold for 2, up for 1 [or 2].

Dumbbell chest press 3 sets: 30s/30s/27s
Flies 3 sets: 25s/25s/25s
Incline dumbbell press 3 sets: 25’s/25’s/ 23’s
Incline flies 3 sets: 23’s/23’s/20’s

1 set of slow heavy push ups following Cathe’s count (on toes).

Chest was pretty tired. It’s a weaker muscle group for me and these weights were just right but tough. Added on as a finisher: Amy Bento’s Slo Mo, Round the World’s, 2 sets: 11’s/10’s (got a crazy burn with these - shaking by the end).

So, then into triceps - probably somewhat fatigued already, though they felt ok.

Triceps overhead extensions (count was down 5, up 3. I usually get a very good stretch on this exercise (can touch my thumbs to my traps). The first weight I used was a bit too heavy for this - I went at least as deep as Cathe did but that was likely her normal range of motion. What I’m basically saying is I sacrificed ROM to go heavier which is obviously no good :eek: ) 3 sets: 30/ 27.5 (this weight felt much better and I got a great stretch) / 25 (This one too).

Tricep lying extensions (I angle my arms a bit past vertical, so when triceps are at full extension there’s still a bit of gravitational pull - can also lower db’s further and get a better stretch - I am careful to keep my shoulder’s ’packed’ throughout). 3 sets: 11s/10s /10’s

Kickbacks 3 sets (up 3, hold 3, down 2): 11’s/10’s/ 9’s. (I thought I stayed conservative on these and did get a full extension on every set - BUT the last set, which was the lightest, was really the best because I was able to really get a super deep squeeze in the peak hold, even though my triceps were pooped). Finished with Slo Mo press down segment - used lat pull down with towel draped over. Really do not remember the weight I used but it probably was not much.

Today, I did my first Insanity workout: Plyo Cardio Circuit. It went much better than I’d feared it might. I think it helped a lot that I previewed and wrote out the exercise sequencing ahead. I hung with the program pretty well :D. The second grouping of exercises had a few push ups. I knew this and didn't think it was much of a big deal, BUT I didn’t consider all the plank-based ab moves (ski abs and in/out abs) that immediately followed. My chest was pretty tender (understatement) from yesterday. I didn’t stop during these rounds but surely did slow down and missed some of the reps. Honestly, if I were designing someone else’s workout schedule, I NEVER would have planned so poorly. This last week I’ve had some overkill on volume and … I don’t know. Made me think though - should definitely design my own rotations with the care I’d afford to anyone else. I'm curious to see how much (if at all) the dom's really effected my performance of these moves. In any case, I loved the Insanity workout and during cool down was thinking I’d like to follow the included schedule and do another one tomorrow. Don't misunderstand -- I think this program is aptly named -- in a way. It's tough, but very thoughtfully/intelligently designed (IMO). Maybe it helped that I was all kinds of scared and expecting to be forced to hit 'pause' any number of times while clutching my chest. This was just the first workout and I may yet have that scenario to look forward to :confused: Still, I made it straight through - definitely with room to grow, but I was happy. Later, I did decide to stick with my original plan and only do 2-3 (Well. 4 at the MOST) a week. That's a promise I made to myself and is probably best for me. Also did Baron Baptiste’s Foundations last night. Felt like I owed it to my body after the past few days -- sort of an apology and a thank you.

That is all.

Lori

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.