Hardcore Maniacs Check in Thurs 04/22

Tekmistic

Cathlete
Good Morning Everyone!!

Linda - Congrats on getting out of the 140's!!!!!:D I am so happy for you and understand EXACTLY what you mean!! My goal has been to get to 139 for the past several weeks, and I have been coming so close, but....... I will get there!! I hope your shoulder is feeling better!!

Diane Sue - You are such an inspiration!! I really don't know how you can get so much done in one day!! I am tired just reading all of the things you do in addition to your long workouts!! Wow!! I hope you take some good R&R time for yourself as well. :)

Lori - It's too bad the sleep meds don't help. I know it's not good to take Nyquil, etc, but I REALLY need my sleep and try to limit it to 2-3 nights a week. It's not fun trying to exercise, work, keep a house clean and all of the other million things we need to get done when we are exhausted. How about meditation? One of my friends swears by it - she has twins and said it's the only thing that kept her going when they were little and sleeping only 1-2 hours at a clip. I hope you have a great day!!

Debbie - OMG....I am REALLY feeling those plyo legs today - OUCH!! LOL. I managed to get in my Kickbox cardio and abs today, but I did have to modify quite a bit 'cause my buns and legs were screaming!! I hope your neck is feeling better.:) Thanks again for kicking my butt with this rotation.

Hi to everyone else I may have missed. It is 4:30 ish in the morning, so I'm not completely with it yet!! I have another busy morning and work and then I'm off tomorrow. I have a very active weekend planned with setting up our summer camp, hiking, etc. I don't know if I will be able to post Friday or Sat, but I hope everyone has a GREAT weekend!!

Cheryl

Today was legs and I did Meso 3, Disc 29, Plyo Legs. Had an excellent workout. I'm finally feeling better and it's amazing how well you can workout when you aren't in pain. This was fun and it went by real fast.

This workout alternates a weight exercise using 12 reps for each exercise with a 30 second plyo movement. My HR stayed up the entire time and I was sweating like crazy by the end. I wore my HR monitor and I'm glad I did.

HR STATS:
54 minutes total
8 minutes below zone
16 minutes in zone
30 minutes above zone
415 calories burned

Cheryl - Thanks! And you will get to your goal, I am sure of it! Oh and I did see your recommendation on the 1/4 aspirin the other day for migraine prevention. Fortunately, I've never actually gotten to the full on migraine yet, the other day was as close as I have ever gotten. It only started a year ago and only happens maybe every three months, usually I get the funky vision and can stop it right there before anything else happens.

Debbie - Glad you had a great workout and were pain free!

This morning I did LIC Cardio Only Premix. A month or so ago when doing Insanity I pulled something in my low back and it has continued to bother me when doing moves that want me to touch or reach for the floor. So I had the massage therapist work on it yesterday and he found that my SI joint on that side was all locked up. So today I laid off the impact and modified all the moves in LIC that have you reaching for the floor or the corner of the step (per his request).

Linda-^^^^^^^^^^^^ 5's on your weight loss :p Slow and steady and you just keep dropping. Yay for you :D Glad you took it a bit easy, although I don't think LIC is easy. You can really work it if you want to.

Debbie-glad you are feeling better. Maybe the dark cloud of injury is finally lifting over this group :eek: That plyo legs is a mutha, nice burn.

Cheryl-4:30 :confused: I wouldn't even be able to spell my name :p Good work on the plyo legs yesterday.

Lori-did you follow your own plan or a DVD?

ETA: Cheryl and Lori, you may look in to Melatonin (I get one that has Theanine in it to help you relax). I had been having trouble wanting to go to sleep, and it helps a TON. It also comes in tea form for any tea drinkers. Also, I have heard good things about Valerian Root.

Yesterday I did plyo legs also. I was going to do PLB, but I wanted some cardio mixed in. Sheesh......that kicks my tail every time. I did not wear a HR monitor b/c I am uninterested in it lately. Today is cardio and I am not sure what yet.

Last edited:
Morning Maniacs -

This morning I stayed in bed until 7:30! I did not want to get out of bed. Back hurts. I work 1-9 today. When I finally got up, the DH was ready to work out - so we did Biggest Loser Cardio Max Jillian & Kim & then Star Cardio - Cardio Combat with Violet Zaki. Really liked the combat one....but g...ood Lord - the woman was leg crazy. We did tons of kicking, squatting, lunging and more kicking and squatting! I did a Cathe stretch at the end. Workout was 67" and I burned 623 calories. Max HR was 156.

Hi Everybody ~

You guys all sound really good. DS had dinner at a friend's last night, so I did MMA Boxing for "fun." Today, Slow and Heavy Legs ... and Shoulders this evening, probably.

Diane Sue - S & H is one of my favorites, too. It seems to me that the rep speed moves at a pretty fast pace in STS. I recognize the value in that, but I really like the feel of slower movement. It's different and in a way, I feel the muscles "more" somehow. More time for a peak contraction in there, too. You have Amy's Slo Mo too, don't you (I believe we talked about that) ? I may be breaking that one out soon, too :) .

Linda - Yay! and also, YAY again!!! Especially in lieu of your shoulder (and other)
injury. Yes -- arm flailing. Here too. It's important though. Cathe says it "adds 15% to your cardio output :p ".

Debbie - Really good to see your post. Glad you're feeling so much better :D .

Theresa - I sequenced the intervals and bw exercises, then did Step Moves. The last couple times I've pulled my own workout together, they've come out really well. That doesn't always happen. I'll end up with "lagging" spots that aren't quite hard enough or spots that are ridiculously tough. Yesterday was almost too hard in a few places, so that's probably about right -- something to push for but not over the top. I think Cathe had a post - maybe more than a year ago, even - about using Melatonin (or some natural remedy). I wish I could find it. I don't know that I've heard of Theanine. We have one natural food/vitamin/etc. store here. I will check it out. Thank you. Well done on Plyo Legs, btw. Nice to have you back from jury duty :) .

Cheryl - Meditation does help. Interesting you should mention that. I was making this "priority" list the other day and that was on there. I don't know. Maybe it's a combination of things. Sleep Apnea even crossed my mind, but I don't fit the profile for a likely candidate. I did call about the sleep study. It was "suggested" to me years ago. I may just go ahead and do it. The worst that can happen is it won't help. Maybe that's what I'm afraid of -- and thus why I've put it off. Brilliant line of thinking behind THAT, huh :confused: ??!!! Hope you have a good day :) !

Hope everyone else is doing ok -

Have a good morning,

Lori

Linda - Way to go on your weight loss! I am so proud of you!! How are you doing it? I think it's great that you can finally move your weight down on your ticker! LOL! Congrats!

Cheryl - Wasn't that a great workout? OMG. I love the leg workouts in STS. And that's something for me to say because I HATE working legs!! Nice going on your workout!

Theresa - I sure hope the dark cloud is going away from us now. I, for one, am totally sick of being sick or in pain! Nice job with your plyo work yesterday! We are all kicking some butt!

Lora - Nice calorie burn today! I think it's cool that your dh works out with you. Has he ever done that before or is this all new?

Lori - Hi! I like MMA Boxing but it doesn't get my HR up too high. It's perfect for a day where you just don't want to give it your all, you know? Nice job!

Diane Sue - I agree, you always seem to be going a mile a minute. You have so much to do every day, I don't know how you keep going sometimes. You rock!

Lora - I was just checking in before going to workout and saw your post. Glad you slept in a little. Looks like a really good workout. Hope you've been doing ok (work). Been wondering how you are. Have a good day :D .

Debbie - I like the boxing too. I actually like all the MMA's but like you said, I don't feel my heart rate get up there. In a way, that's partly why I did it last night. I was looking for a second workout - just something fun to do - that wouldn't be too taxing. Sometimes in the evening if DS isn't around, I'll work out again for ...entertainment ... I guess (maybe I should just get cable :confused: ). Really. Sometimes I want a break or diversion from work or cleaning or whatever and I don't feel like reading and we don't have TV. I think I do better without it. It's not that I'm opposed to it or anything rigid like that, but I probably am more productive without it around (or at least get in a couple extra workouts). Surprisingly, ds feels the same way and doesn't really want it. He says he gets plenty of TV at his dad's and friend's houses - so, I'm glad to have some less intense options. I wouldn't have been up for anything much more aggressive. And I really did have a lot of fun :) .

Had no intention to babble on like that :eek: . Going to go workout now.

Lori

Wwwwaaaa!!! I want to try the MMAs!:(:(

Thanks to everyone!

Debbie - What has worked for me is I am almost finished reading a book called Intuitive Eating and have been listening to a podcast called Inside Out Weight Loss, and between the two of them I have gotten to the point that I don't have the all or nothing attitude that if I think I've blown it I just don't go on an out & out binge for the rest of the day or days.:p Now if I want a cookie I eat a cookie and move on and don't feel guilty. I haven't binged in weeks. Also I stopped following the clock I was so bad that if I had been snacking and time for lunch came well I'd eat even if I wasn't hungry because it was time, well no more, now I don't care if I wait 5 hours or eat an hour later if I find I am hungry. And I am emotional eater and I have on occasion eaten more of something than I should have so again this where I don't binge but self correct as soon as possible, which might meaning have a very light snack a few hours later as opposed to a full dinner. I don't count calories, carbs, protein or anything.. now I might have to when I get closer to my goal weight to fine tune things if I get stuck but this is so working for me right now. Boy guess you didn't expect that novel!:p:p:p Sorry!
Oh and it doesn't hurt that I know some will be weighing me each week and seeing if I went up, down or stayed the same. And really as a personal trainer my co-workers are watching me very closely.:eek::eek::eek:

P.S. - Seeing my ticker these days really makes me smile!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Wwwwaaaa!!! I want to try the MMAs!:(:(

Thanks to everyone!

Debbie - What has worked for me is I am almost finished reading a book called Intuitive Eating and have been listening to a podcast called Inside Out Weight Loss, and between the two of them I have gotten to the point that I don't have the all or nothing attitude that if I think I've blown it I just don't go on an out & out binge for the rest of the day or days.:p Now if I want a cookie I eat a cookie and move on and don't feel guilty. I haven't binged in weeks. Also I stopped following the clock I was so bad that if I had been snacking and time for lunch came well I'd eat even if I wasn't hungry because it was time, well no more, now I don't care if I wait 5 hours or eat an hour later if I find I am hungry. And I am emotional eater and I have on occasion eaten more of something than I should have so again this where I don't binge but self correct as soon as possible, which might meaning have a very light snack a few hours later as opposed to a full dinner. I don't count calories, carbs, protein or anything.. now I might have to when I get closer to my goal weight to fine tune things if I get stuck but this is so working for me right now. Boy guess you didn't expect that novel!:p:p:p Sorry!
Oh and it doesn't hurt that I know some will be weighing me each week and seeing if I went up, down or stayed the same. And really as a personal trainer my co-workers are watching me very closely.:eek::eek::eek:

P.S. - Seeing my ticker these days really makes me smile!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

That is really awesome, I'm also trying to eat intuitively. I still eat every 3 hours, but that's because I'm actually hungry. And I try to just pick good foods. I still haven't let myself cheat during the week because then I'm afraid I'll just keep going, but so far I've been doing really well. I'm hoping to see a loss this weekend.

I'm happy this is working for you and I may get that book one day soon. Good job, Linda! :D

Hi Everyone!!

I just dropped in to see what was going on today, and my what a bunch of "chatty Cathe's" (LOL - pun intended:p).

I am really not a big fan of Debbie's today (j/k). The plyo legs from yesterday are killing me today!! (Deb - you will probably see what I mean tomorrow - I think). What a pain in the butt - literally!! I have been working like a madwoman today (up and down from sitting to standing), and every time I get up I'm like "oooooowwwwwww". I think I am going to take my Yoga CD's to camp with me and try to do 60-80 min of Yoga tomorrow to stretch out my aching legs/butt. I guess it's good because I haven't felt like this in quite a while, AND furthermore, the backside should look quite ok in the bathing suit!:D

Theresa- Thanks for reminding me about the Melatonin. I actually tried that a few years ago and it worked. I'm not sure why I stopped taking it - maybe couldn't find it anymore - anyway....I am going to have to look for that again and try to lay off the Nyquil. Are you dying from the plyo legs also, or is it just me??

Lori- I try to do some meditation every day, but it seems there aren't enough hours - if you know what I mean. I think it's great that you are not into TV. I really only watch a few shows and try to keep the TV off most of the time, but I just love a good crime mystery - NCIS, Criminal Minds, Law and Order, although I really try to limit my TV time and MAKE myself do something active while watching it. It's true that all of the those commercials with the YUMMY munchy things make you want to eat more.... Let me know if and where you find that melatonin and at least consider going for the sleep study. A cardiologist once told me that lack of sleep can even make atherosclerosis worse (cholesterol plaque in the arteries), which causes heart disease and heart attacks. I understand your hesitation, however, as I would not want to hear what the liver doc has to say about my Nyquil and drinking. :)

Lora - That is AWESOME that your DH works out with you!! I don't know if I could make it through a workout with my crazy DH - I would probably die laughing. He came in my workout room one day while I was doing MMA fusion (the roll on the floor and get up part), and we were both hysterical trying to do it!! I also like Jillian at times, although I think I just like to swear at her while doing her video's. LOL.

Linda - I modify those moves when my back is acting up. I found that doing extensive ab work (which I am obsessed with!) can give me some annoying low back pain. It is better when I only do abs 3 X wk, but I can't say I always stick with that. Congrats again on the weight loss and have a great day!!

Diane Sue - I love S&H also....it's really the best. I haven't done it in a while, so I think I'll have to pull that one out once I'm done with this rotation. Have a great day and take some time to relax!!:)

Sorry if I missed anyone!! I am leaving tomorrow morning for camp for the weekend, but I will miss all of you "maniacs"!! I hope everyone has a great day, but mostly I hope I can stand up tomorrow without wincing!;)

Cheryl

That is really awesome, I'm also trying to eat intuitively. I still eat every 3 hours, but that's because I'm actually hungry. And I try to just pick good foods. I still haven't let myself cheat during the week because then I'm afraid I'll just keep going, but so far I've been doing really well. I'm hoping to see a loss this weekend.

I'm happy this is working for you and I may get that book one day soon. Good job, Linda! :D

For me I found when I wanted a cookie but wouldn't allow myself to have it I would end up eating everything else trying to avoid the cookie then end up eating the cookie and a few others because by that point I felt I had completely blown it. So now I have my cookie or like to today potato chips (just a few) and move on.

Cheryl - I'm already sore. I get sore quickly, usually within 3 hours of my workout. So tomorrow should be glorious! LOL!

Linda - I need to keep this in mind. Everytime I eat something sweet I think, "What the heck, I already blew it anyways." I need to stop doing that.

had to split my workout and finish up when I returned from taking the girls to school. I did Muscle & Fitness Magazine Tabata workout 4 back and 5 biceps a& forearms dding a 5 minutes w/up. Workout was 60 minutes and I burned 286 calories Max HR was 144. I try to do some jumping jacks and jogging in place on some of the breaks because I sure don't get a lot of cardio out of this but like the workouts. I can really feel the exercises by the end. I then did Shock Cardio Circuit Blast cardio only mix 23 minutes, 159 calories, Max HR 159 intensity levels 1 4:29 minutes, level 2 5:29 minutes level 3 13:07 which is pretty much the length of the cardio after the w/up. I wanted to do the intervals only premix from Amy's Hi/Lo Dome so did that one with another w/up when I returned hom 28 minutes, 175 calories, Max HR 168, intensity 1 11:39, level 2 5:03, level 3 9:27(this has a nice 8 minutes stretch) I finished off with Flexible Warrior Yoga energy and swim segments 24 minutes 63 calories.
Tabata workout 8 sets 20 seconds work/10 seconds rest 2-3 minutes rest between exercises
Bentover Row 70lb barbell
lat pulldowns Bowflex 170lb
seated row Bowflex 100lb each hand
barbell curl 41lb
incline dumbbell curl using the stability ball 20lb dumbbells
hammer curl 20lb dumbbells
wrist curl 12lb dumbbells ( I worry how the joints will feel if I go heavy on these)
recerse wrist curls 5lb dumbbells
Straight arm pulldown Bowflex 100lb

Last edited:
Did STS plyo legs today (disc 29) Does anyone have any reviews on STS Kickbox?

What do you mean, Roselyn? All the STS kickbox workouts are pretty good. The boxing one doesn't really get the HR up that high, but it's fun. I like all of them and they have ab workouts on them as well and I like those too.

I should probably not be on the computer. I have a lot to get done and granddaughter asked me to come to her school to hear her sing. I told her I wasn't sure but then I feel guilty. Had to make a trip back to town to pick up a couple of things I missed yesterday. I am making that Clean Eating Magazine Chocolate Orange Cheesecake so we can have it when DH comes home tomorrow. I have the crust in the refrigerator but still have to do all of the other steps. Felt I needed to stop for lunch though.

Linda, I had to laugh at you and avoiding the cookie eating everything else then eating the cookies. That is exactly what happens to me. My willpower sucks. I don't log my food unless I think I am starting to get out of control and see weight and fat gains. Don't mind the weight that much though. I find if I eat too much one time there will be a day I seem to hardly eat anything. I rarely allow myself to get real hungry though.

Cheryl, enjoy your time at camp. Hope you can get some yoga in. I am sure it would help.

Lori, yes I have Amy's Slo Mo. I should break that one out again. I know what you mean about feeling the contraction more when working slower. That is why sometimes it is good for me to do a rotation without a dvd to follow because I can work at my own pace and I get a lot out of it.

Debbie, I generally feel muscle soreness pretty quickly after a workout. I hear you on the MMA workouts. I am always trying to find ways to get my HR up more when doing these. But I think they are fun workouts.

Lora, great workout. I bet you loved all of that lower body work:) How is the intensity on The Biggest Loser Workouts?

Roselyn - I don't mean to answer for Debbie, but I don't think the SC Kickbox gets the HR up as much as KP&C by any means. I think they are fun workouts (albeit shorter than most Cathe workouts) and they seem to work well in a rotation with STS, but I really don't think the Kickbox or the Boxing SC workouts are REALLY difficult. If you are trying to get the HR WAY up, I would recommend the HIIT (40/30, 30/30 and the double wave pyramid).
I hope that helps, and again, I didn't mean to answer for Debbie (my personal fitness guru) :D.

I have to go to sleep - my nightly dose of Nyquil is kicking in....j/k. Have a great night!!

Cheryl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.