HARDCORE FITNESS MANIACS WEEKEND

buttercup78

Cathlete
HEY LADIES-

I thought I would get this started. I have no idea what I will be doing workout-wise today. Yesterday I did a plyo workout and it flew by. Time w/ warm up and cooldown was 30 min and I burned almost 500 calories :eek: I did 30 sec work/30 sec rest.

plyo jacks
box jumps
lateral hops
alterating knee ups on step
kb swing
jump lunges
froggers
lateral skate
high knees in place
alternating squat w/ kick
mountain climbers
sprinter sit up
straddle taps
standing knee twists
kick butt run in place
squat w/ side kick

:eek: Woops ~ Hi Theresa! Didn't see that you started this thread. Maybe we did it at the same time? I don't know what I'm doing yet today either. That looks like a good plyo sequence. Nice burn there, too. Can I delete the other thread or do I just have to leave it looming there :confused:

Diane Sue - I saw your post last night and responded. In short, I think you're right and decided to order the roller. I think it's a smart preventative measure based on the experiences you've shared about working with it. :D

Hope everyone's having a good weekend so far!

Lori

That workout looks great, Theresa! Was that the one your husband was going to do with you? Did he end up joining in?

Lori, good idea to get a foam roller. I have one and don't use it nearly enough, but they are supposed to be really helpful. They sure do hurt, though. I guess it's that myafascia, or whatever it's called, being released.

Yesterday I went to a pretty intense yoga class and today my shoulders are a bit sore from two days of yoga and my legs are a bit sore, too. I've got a bunch to do so I won't workout till later, but I'm planning on my new gym style dvd, the one with biceps, back, and shoulders. I will probably go easy on the shoulders, though. Well, off to work on an application for a full time tenure track position and then work on my online classes. Have a great weekend, everyone.

Hi Lori, Theresa, Hermia!!

I was going to start another thread earlier when I saw both posts from the same time:p LOL, LOL.....You know what they say about brilliant minds, and just to think Lori, you said your brain wasn't the sharpest........well "think" again. :)

It looks like everyone has had some great exercise........good for you Lori getting in that extra cardio work out yesterday, and great work Theresa - love the combination!! Hermia - way to go - even with the sore shoulders. My heart goes out to you - I certainly don't miss the days of "endless school work". :)

I also ordered some new DVD's (actually 8 :eek:), which my DH may not be so thrilled about......had to do it with the special for April - 30% off. Besides, now I should have everything Debbie could possibly put in the next rotation. :)

I wanted to get back to the "construction" discussion from yesterday....I COMPLETELY understand and can RELATE to all of the nightmares of home ownership, repairs, updates, etc. This will be my third "flip this house", which we have lived in through all phases of demolition and "reconstruction". About a month ago I came home to find caution tape across my "then" kitchen doorway. My DH had gutted the ENTIRE back of our house, so basically you could look down to the level of the basement floor and up to the rafters on the roof. Uh huh.......no kitchen........still.........although now I have a "work sink" which is a killer to bend way over and do dishes in, AND no kitchen cabinets (he is building them himself). At least half of the tile floor is down (beautiful), and most of the kitchen now has walls. As for the upstairs bathroom - nada. Sorry for such a long post, but I got such a chuckle when reading the posts the other day that I really wanted to share this tid bit.

Ok....enough of that.....for today I did Body Max 2 double upper body. That wasn't on the rotation, but I really felt like lifting today. I also took the dogs hiking for over an hour and painted 2 rooms at camp. That along with carrying about 8 billion boxes (ok maybe more like 20ish), cleaning, and putting heavy docks in the water was enough of a work out for even Miss Diane Sue (j/k), although I certainly could have used some of your energy today!:)

I'm off to cook some yummy (but healthy) food and have a well deserved martini!! Have a wonder-filled and joyous day!!

Cheryl

Hermia-I did a yoga class once that killed my shoulders. I was sore for at least two days :) Hope you do something fun today.

Cheryl-that home stuff sounds like a nightmare, I would probably lose it, but how fantastic that your DH is that handy :D I'm tired just reading all the things you have done today. I'd bump that martini count up to two (at least)

Lori-I don't know if the post can be deleted or not, sorry I didn't see your either. I do think we posted very close to each other :) Hope you have a great workout today whatever you choose. I actually think I am going to take a rest day, the allergies are kickin' today. Beer and wine seem to make it worse, and I indulged in beer yesterday so it will be worse today.

I did Bosu Explode Burn (this is core with a little cardio to it) 1 hr 5 minutes but it was split because of interruptions. Total calories was 346 Max HR 154. I am sure it would be better if I knew the moves and did not have interruptions. I then did Explode Fuse which was a lot of balance, core, and flexibility training 44 minutes 186 calories. Max HR was 131. I really liked these and there was a lot of creativity with the moves. Some of the segments used two BOSU's so I had to improvise. It would be fun to have two. I think these are meant more for PT's or instructors. I looked over the Amp workout and saw a lot of two BOSU's and the Slingshot so decided to wait till I can work out how I would do that.
Total calories was 532 1 hour 50 minutes. We are getting ready to go to the Police Station and Move some stuff in the offices.
We went to our granddaughter's soccer game and her team won 6-0. She made a goal so was really happy:) We went to Chilis for lunch and I got a grilled chicken salad.

Lorie, you will really get a lot of good out of the foam roller. There are some exercises on the internet but really I have not found everything I have got from the dvd's. Also, I have figured out some ways to intensify the roller for other areas. like hamstrings. Once you hit those sore spots and stick there for a bit it breaks up the tightness. They are awesome for balance work too. Doing Keli's workout is like getting a nice massage with some core work involved. I love that workout and it is only around $10.00.

I will try to come back and respond in awhile. Really tired since I stayed up late and it depends on how long we will be gone. I have dinner guests coming tomorrow. I made a cheesecake using light cream cheese, light sour cream, and semisweet chocolate. Still probably loaded with unhealthy stuff LOL

Today I did a mix of Tabata intervals and CTX back and chest. It was a good workout. I really like CTX - not sure why I don't pull it out more often. Once you find the right weight, the upper body work is short but really well put together -- gets a lot done. After a warm up, I did two rounds of sprints on my bike (8 intervals at 20/10 - work/rest x 2). I still haven’t found anything tougher than these :eek: Getting them done first was good. Everything else felt like a cakewalk (so to speak). Then, I did the back segment and followed that with a Tabata round alternating the 180 turns Cathe does in Cardio Core Circuit (I think) and speed skaters (2 intervals of each before switching). Then I went right into chest and followed that with a round of burpees. I finished with a round of lateral jumps over the step alternating every two rounds with the uneven squats holding a weight (like the one’s in Circuit Blast). I’d have liked to go longer with the rest of upper body and this pattern, but DS had a soccer game. He did really well. This part of my day sounds similar to yours, Diane Sue. If I get an energy surge, I may do a bit more this evening as a break from studying/cleaning.

Theresa - A rest day sounds good. To think of it, so does a beer (those days seem to be over for me :p). Take it easy and enjoy your Saturday. Allergies can wipe you out. Hope yours aren’t too bad today :D

Hermia - No matter how hard I’ve been working out or what I‘ve been doing, yoga can still makes me sore in a different way. It’s NOT easy. Not sure if you saw my earlier post, but I just ordered a new yoga DVD: Baron Baptiste’s Foundations. I thought of waiting and posting a question to you - asking if you had any suggestions or recommendations but I was afraid I’d talk myself out of ordering ANYTHING, so I just went for it. Your day sounds very busy. I really like Gym Style B/S/B, although I’m not sure your shoulder’s will appreciate it today. Going light’s a good idea, I think. Take care :) .

Cheryl - So, basically, your workout spanned through your whole day :p ?!! Your construction story brought back memories (believe it or not). When I was married (in my twenties), my former husband and his (twin) brother decided to remodel our kitchen. I came home from work and the stove AND refrigerator were sitting in the front lawn. Part of me wanted to … never get out of the car or maybe just keep driving. They had a good explanation though. Essentially, the kitchen was GONE and they really could think of nowhere else to put them :confused: I don’t know what or how they did it (or un-did it) so fast. It was pretty impressive (and drafty). That was a while ago, though. Funny to think of it now. Your life sounds very diverse and “action packed“ :eek: Also: Woo hoo! New DVD’s!

Diane Sue - The DVD sounds good. I am really glad I ordered the roller. No DOMS today, but I have KNOTS right below my ischium (ischia?) or sit bones. I get those sometimes. I think it has something to do with my piriformis muscle - right in that area. Very localized and they really hurt. I’m guessing this is just the thing foam rollers are good for. I was going to try and “wing it” without a particular DVD, but I may as well do it right and get some good instruction, so I’ll go ahead and order the Keli DVD. I appreciate your letting me know about it :D . The cheesecake sounds GOOD. If it were too healthy, it just wouldn’t be cheesecake :p .

Have a good evening,

Lori

Last edited:
Hey everyone
well, I guess no workout for me after all. It's 11:20 and I'm still working on my online classes. I teach 5 of them and I've also got three onground classes...lots of work. I guess I'll have to try to get today's workout in tomorrow. I would just try for a way late workout, but there's church tomorrow and I want some sleep.

Lori, yay on the new yoga dvd! I don't have anything by him, but I think he's one of the more popular instructors. Hope you like it.

Ohhh Cheryl...martini. Sounds good. =)
I myself had a glass of wine. Helps with the grading, I find.

Good Morning All!!

Well, it's Sun. morning and my body feels like I have been hit by a truck...:(
I'm sore in placed I didn't know I had, so I guess I will skip any "formal" exercise scheduled for today (although ususally it's my day off). I had been trying to take my day off during the week so I have a day to sleep past 2:30 am, but other than taking the dogs for a long hike/run/swim, I think I'm too sore to consider anything else. I ended up having a "few" martinis, so needless to say I have a slight headache today as well. :rolleyes:

Hermia - It sounds like you are crazy busy with school. You know they say "brainwork" burns a lot of calories, so that's probably equivocal to 2 workouts for you yesterday. ;)

I'm off to get some housework done and then take the dogs out - another beautiful day here today - 80's and sunny - yyiippeee. I have a busy week ahead. Have a great day everyone!!

Cheryl

Last night I did a 2nd shorter workout. Not too energetic. I thought that might pick up once I got going, but it didn't. So, after a warm up, I did a Tabata round alternating power scissors or jump lunges - power lunges ? :confused: (what ARE they called?) with plyo jacks. Then I did CTX shoulders. I'd had enough Tabata, so I just practiced some windmills and turkish get-ups for appx. ten minutes and that was all.

I'd like to finish upper body today (bi's and tri's), then see how I feel. Either some low impact cardio or yoga. A little of both might be good. I should get organized for the week ahead. I throw that word around (organized) as if I have any idea what it means or how to approach it :eek: . I will make my best effort.

Hermia - 11:20 would have been way late to tackle GS, or any workout for that matter. Maybe it's good your shoulder got to rest. So you teach 8 classes altogether? That's an enormous amount if I understand correctly. Holy cow. Good luck on your tenure application. I guess I don't know what a "track position" is. Hope you have a good day :) .

Cheryl - Enjoy the weather and your day off. Hope your headache fades out quickly ;) .

Diane Sue - This may be a rest day for you (from working out). Hope you have a nice evening with your company :D .

Theresa - Hi. Have a good Sunday :D .

Lora - Hope you are doing/feeling ok.

And Hello to anyone that may follow!

-Lori

Hi Everyone!!

I figured I would check back in on the posts for this quiet Sun. afternoon. It turned out I was given no respite for a hangover/headache today either. DH and I did a ton of errands, walked like crazy, and then came home and packed even more stuff for camp #2. I hit my shin very hard on the boat trailer and have a nasty bump/bruise already - can't wait to see what that feels like tomorrow. :mad:

Anyway, Lori - great workouts - 2 a day? OMG....if only I could muster up the energy!!

Anyway, I can't get in another workout today regardless - we just hit 90 and it's very humid, which is EXTREMELY rare considering where we live in the northeast. We actually had snow last week - go figure!! My body does not adjust well to 70 degree temperature swings over a few days, so I'm pretty wiped out.....

Have a great rest of the day everyone!!

Cheryl :cool:

No workout today. I usually take Sundays off. We had neighbors for dinner and had a great visit. I probably ate to much cheesecake:D Otherwise it was a sirloin tip roast, salad, and a little corn. I didn't eat the mashed potatoes. Not a fan of mashed potatoes anyway. But I made them for everyone else.
Tomorrow will probably be Tabata again. This will be my 4th week and probably my last. Then I will move onto something else. I also want to try the other of the BOSU Explode workouts. May have to improvise with some of the equipment.

Cheryl, drink lots of water. We used to take out fifth wheel camping every other weekend. I always enjoyed it till I got home and had to clean towels and restock it for the next trip. But then while we were gone it was a couple of days of pure relaxation. Walks, naps just sitting around which is something I rarely do. Huge weather changes are normal here in Oklahoma. Being in the center fronts can come in within hours and send from 80's to freezing rain.

Lori, yes a rest day from working out and really don't feel like I did a lot. Dessert was made and the roast was in the slow cooker with a slowcooker liner. Salad was made ahead. So just steamered corn and mashed potatoes. Guests helped clean up. I even took a little nap and read a little:D I know you didn't ask me but I think I checked one of Baron Baptistes Yoga workouts from the library once since I saw others saying they liked him. Not sure that I cared for it. I like Shiva Rhea's Yoga Shatki that I have(I did try her trance dance and didn't care for it), I like my Eoin Finn Power Yoga for Happiness, Also like the Flexible Warrior 3.0 from Spinervals that is just basic yoga with no meditation and breathing stuff like you seem to get with Kundalani type yoga. It is a little boring on music and set but still a great workout. The One on One with Tony Horton Yoga is pretty good to me. But I don't do yoga like Hermia so she could probably give you some nice suggestions. Oh, and I have and do use Tracey Staehle's quite a bit.

Hermia, sounds like you are busy with grading papers. I hope you got to get in a little extra sleep:)

Gosh, my schedule for the next month seems to be expanding:eek: Causing me some stress thinking about it and penciling everything into the calendar that I just thought I had printed up and ready to go. Two graduations, two birthdays, later hours for grandchildren and so on.

Just got home from walking Skyler (the Beagle). I'd thought about using her walk as a warm up for a short cardio workout before I put in some study time. I'm really tired tonight though. I did do CTX biceps and triceps earlier and that may be all for today which would make it something of a rest day. Otherwise, mostly today I've just been cleaning and working.

Diane Sue - Sounds like you had a really nice day. I can tell that relaxing is hard for you, which makes it not very relaxing at all - if that makes any sense :confused: ? Kind of ironic, but I do understand. Dinner sounds like it was really good. But, I am now officially thinking way too much about cheesecake ;) . Did you just use a regular recipe and substitute lower fat cream cheese, etc.? I've heard a lot of positive things about Shiva Rhea and took note of some of the other DVD's you mentioned. I need to pay more attention to flexibility. I tend to take mine for granted. My hamstrings and hip flexors have always been hyper-flexible, but that's due mostly to just how I'm "put together" and doesn't mean I shouldn't cultivate maintaining or even improving it. Also, when I was studying, I ran across a shoulder flexibility test and mine is only "fair." Clearly some imbalances there and something else to work on, but that's ok too. The Bosu workout's sound tough and fun. Are you thinking of getting a second Bosu or just planning to modify the moves and use one?

Cheryl - Ouch. I tend to be pretty accident prone and shin clunks hurt especially. Hope it isn't too serious. Also, I do work out twice a day a few times a week, but a lot of times the second workout isn't terribly intense and really, it's more like one longer workout broken up. So, if it looks or sounds impressive, it really isn't. I just don't always get time to finish everything I wanted to do earlier in the day. It also gives me a second wind if I have to get some work done in the evening. And sometimes, I just feel like doing it for "fun." Just sort of playing, I guess. It all evens out, though and doesn't end up being nearly as heroic as it might look - at all. Your weather sounds crazy! Like the middle of July or something. It was cool and windy here today. There have been extreme shifts in temperature by as many degrees in this area before, though. Unfortunately, they went in the other direction: from thirty to fifty BELOW one winter :confused: (with windchill - whatever that really means). Hard to believe. Dealing with heat like that PLUS a headache and a smarting shin - Yuck Max.
I'll bet you were wiped out. Hope you get some good rest and feel better by Monday.

Have a good evening -

Lori

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.