Hardcore Fitness Maniacs Wed July 26

lorajc

Cathlete
Morning Maniacs -

This morning I only had time for Turbo Jam Fat Blaster (30 min), as I'm working the early shift - have to go to the doctor.

I had every intention of getting up at 2:00 today instead of 2:30 but I didn't even hear my alarm going off until 2:20, so that was that! As of tomorrow, I'm going to try to start getting up a little earlier, as I've been running out of time to work out too many times lately! Must get more focused.

Who is it that does Spinervals? Netta or Suz? I'd like to get one and I don't know which one to get. There are so many too choose from and they are pretty expensive ...$29.95 for 1 DVD. Will you kindly recommend one? I'd like a hard one, but not so hard it's going to kill me. That Mindy Super Cycle one I have is pretty intense. I need to start doing more low impact, as my knees and back have been hurting a bit.

Diana Sue - Thanks for the recipe. It sounds good, but I never heard of rice vinegar. What is rice vinegar? I know......I'm certainly no Martha Stewart!! They made fun of me at work (you know I work in Environmental Services) cuz they were telling me something was like a Swiffer....and I was like what's a Swiffer? I guess it's a mop? Ms. Domestic, I'm NOT!!

Have great workouts everyone. I'll try to check in from work later. My boss has been pretty nice to me this week, as some stuff happened last Friday where I got called into her Supervisor's office and asked a bunch of questions about my boss........and basically, I was pretty loyal to my boss and did not say derogatory stuff about her. She knows what happened.......so she's been treating me pretty good. I don't expect it to last forever though, but I'm enjoying it while I'm able to.

Charlotte - meant to tell you yesterday - not only do I take bad pic's , but did you notice there's a couple were Josh doesn't look so hot? I think it was the photographer though! he...he..

Good Morning,
Today I will do cardio I think some time on the treadmill and S&H Chest & Back and abs.

Lora I am pretty sure you could sustitute red wine vinegar. RIce vinegar just smells like vinegar. It has a slightly different taste. THe only reason I have it is when doing P90X it was used in some of the recipes. I found it in the oriental area of the grocery store. I had to track down a couple of items at a health food store and I never heard of some of them so looked them up on the internet. One was miso paste. It is interesting what kind of new foods we can discover:)

Hi to everyone,
Diane Sue
http://wd.1ww.us

Thanks Diana Sue. Miso paste.....sounds weird. Were those recipes good? Some day when I'm retired, I'll have to have my kitchen operable to cook in!

Suz or Netta - or Spinerval person - I just read on VF that the music really stinks on these. Is that true?

Good Morning Maniacs!!!

Yesterday I worked tri's and bi's to slow and heavy. Only thing different I did was take 50# and put on my lap for dips.

Today I want to ride my bike this morning. Haven't checked the temperature yet so I hope it doesn't get too hot and mucky again. Gonna do legs and shoulders (slow and heavy series) and work abs with weights this time. I like some of Diane Sue's ideas with the weights while working abs. Maybe I can pop some things out this way? LOL!

Lora,

I thought Josh looked just as good in all the pictures. Very photogenic. Oh, and life would not be the same if I did not have my swifter. I am a happy swifting mama!

Charlotte~~

Charlotte - gee thanks...........he's photogenic and I'm not! I know I'm not, but did ya have to rub it in?????????? just kidding...(about the rubbing it in part - not the me no photogenic part). I did notice in those pic's that I'm starting to lose my collagen in my face. I'm getting old and yes, I'm vain and having a severe midlife crisis.........off to sob in the corner.

Good morning ladies,

Lora, I only have a few Spinervals and I don't think the music is very good. However, my trainer is so noisy that I can barely hear anything. Suz will be able to give you a better review. One of the Spinervals I like is Enter The Red Zone. They are all definitely a workout. I use mine with a HRM. I don't think Spinervals are for everybody, though. You will really sweat with these and I definitely have my fan blowing on me during the workout. I think they are invaluable if you want to become a better cyclist, but I probably won't reach for them until this winter when I can't ride outside. They take real dedication to do and Suz is the one that's got that covered, not moi.

Today's workout was Push/Pull, a new one for me. I liked the different work on the stability ball, though in total I don't think I got worked out as much as say MM or ME. Nice change, though.

Last night I (and a girlfriend) tackled the local big hill (Charlotte, you inspired me) that I haven't done in about 3 years. It's 4.83 miles long from the bottom to the top and it took me about 15 minutes to do. At times, I was going 4 mph (or less). I used the strategy of saving my last 3 gears to get up it and not starting out too fast so I didn't blow up. Made it all the way to the top without stopping and believe me, this is a hill that the guys zig zag to get up. It's really fast on the way down (I once hit 43 mph on it, scared my little self), but we took it easy coming down as there are some bad portions of pavement that you really need to watch out for. Anyhow, I was happy to make it up without stopping on my first try in 3 years. Guess my cardio is getting better thanks to my Cathe workouts.

Also had a scare on the way to work. I was driving our Dodge pickup as our Jeep is loaned to our son for a while as he's having his transmission rebuilt. Anyhow, I hit a bump, nothing major, in the road and my truck went into a high speed side to side vibration that scared me to death. It shook so hard my purse fell off the seat. I'm surprised the air bags didn't go off either. Think this is referred to as a "death wobble". I finally got the truck stopped, looked underneath, saw nothing amiss and continued on to work. I called my son when I got to work and he said that it was the "track bar" and that it needs to be replaced. After checking with others in the know, this is common in Dodge p/u's when the stock track bar wears out. I'll be ordering a better one with a rebuild kit and then in a couple weeks, DS and DH will install it themselves. Until then, I'm driving another pickup we own. And to think I drove 2 1/2 hours pulling our horse trailer with the quads on our camping trip this weekend. Thank God nothing happened then. Too many car repair problems here lately.

Lora, enjoy your time with the boss being nice, but I'm afraid I would have been honest about how I was treated by her. What she does is unacceptable and she will probably continue to do it after the heat is off.

Must run, have a haircut tonite after work too. My cycling vacation starts next Monday :7.

Jeanette

Lora,

Your silly. I already told you that you look just as pretty in all the pictures. Closing your eyes doesn't change your look, girl! About losing collagen in your face...well, looks to me you got beautiful skin...must be all those veggies you eat. Speaking of vanity, I will post some more pictures today, if I have time. I got to check my batteries first. LOL!

Charlotte~~

Netta,

Now you have inspired me! I always tense up some when going down the hills if I start to go to fast. I am going to try what you are saying with your gears as I should have done this long ago, but I got this stubborn streak in me that thinks I can just climb on a set gear and it burns my lungs to a crisp! I don't like that so I don't want to walk up the hill with my bike and look like a wimp along the side of the road so I will give it a go. I can't wait to report back and I hope I see more deer again.

Charlotte~~

This morning I did Muscle Max and had an excellent workout. I love this workout and I'm really liking this total body method. There was an article in the newest Oxygen magazine about total body training on page 80. This is what I was trying to do a few months ago but just didn't like it. But doing a workout like MM with hardly no breaks really gets your HR up and its very exhausting. I was wiped by the time I was done and I went as high with my weights as I could. I wish Cathe had more workouts like MM. I know PH and MIS are total body, but they are more endurance, not strength. Maybe I could work Push/Pull and Supersets into a rotation. I need to look into this again and possibly start up with total body workouts again on Saturday. I'll have to think about it because I really love working one body part a day. Any thoughts on total body training?

Diane Sue - Your cardio looks longer than 60 minutes sometimes. Thats why I asked. You really kick butt with cardio girl!

Hope you all have great workouts!

Good Morning Ladies,

This morning I actually got up and did Lowmax the entire version, that I have never done! I've always done the premix, well not this morning. Going to the Y again tonight and taking a step class. My workout last night sucked, so I don't feel like going into it...lets just say I was lame, very lame!

Suz - Thanks for the info on the bikes from Wal-Mart. Maybe I'll just keep shopping around. My DH and I are going to go do some 4 wheelin and bike riding this weekend on some 4000 acres where he hunts, that should be a good bike ride, won't have to worry about traffic, but will probably see some wildlife so I will be taking my camera for sure!

Charlotte - Let us know when you get the pics up, and make sure you get new batteries...lol!

Netta - What a scare you had this morning, glad you're okay! Enjoy your workout!

Lora - I like your Avatar. Enjoy your boss being nice while it lasts! Hope it lasts a long time too!

Hello to everyone else that follows, hope everyone has/had great workouts!

Debbie - I think Diana Sue told me she likes to get at least 60 min of solid cardio plus the warmup and cooldown. I believe she said she was pretty strict about it - she may have used the word obsessive or something like that......but I'll let her tell you. Maybe that's what I need to start doing. Glad you liked Muscle Max. I like that one also. P90 Masters has a total body workout in the series and it's only around 40-45 min, but if you heavy up with the weight, it's a very effective workout. I love it. I get so sore from doing it.

Charlotte - my hair's only short cuz I got scalped the last time I went for my cut (new stylist) -- i usually don't like to wear it this short either or look like a soccer Mom! (no offense to any soccer mom's but ya know what I mean). Where did your cute Avatar go?

Charlotte, the other thing about using those gears is it will save your knees. If you keep up with one hard gear, it may stress your knees too much. The best riders ride at at least 90 revolutions plus per minute. That's what I shoot for, but when climbing it slows way down. Most people starting out tend to pedal too slow, too high of gears. Not saying that's you, but a lot of people do.

Jeanette

Hey guys!
I haven't done my WO yet, but I had a question about one armed rows for the back. I think I am having form issues, as I always feel it more in my shoulder and tricep. Any advice on how to really get my lats? Don't know why this never feels right! Thanks guys.

Maeghan AKA megadoo

New pics added in July 25 2006 and Fitness album!!!!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar072/slider-but3/lb/203/145/154/.png[/img] [/url]

http://www.picturetrail.com/megadoo2

Maniacs,

Well I just got back from my bike ride. I went a different route. I thought I must have been crazy to go that route cuz I had one gigantic hill that was so steep that I nearly hurt my neck trying to see to the top and wondered if I would actually be in Canada if I made it to the top. So from the bottom of the hill which was already steep, I had my gear in #2, my legs weren't moving. LOL! In #1 and still my legs would not budge. So I did what I simply did not want to do and walked it and my hamstrings were on fire just from walking up it. I get to the top and breathtaking views into the deep part of the valley...beautiful! All down hill from there. Was so high up that I could have gone 60mph all the way down if I wasn't careful. Really don't care for that route as I don't like going down hills most of the time and being challenged with a Mother Truckin' hill to climb. I like more of a combination and I don't like to feel defeated.

Meg,

You may be able to do lat pulldowns off your moms machine. That really brings out your lats. Pullovers will too.

Charlotte~~

>Debbie - I think Diana Sue told me she likes to get at least
>60 min of solid cardio plus the warmup and cooldown. I
>believe she said she was pretty strict about it - she may have
>used the word obsessive or something like that......but I'll
>let her tell you. Maybe that's what I need to start doing.
>Glad you liked Muscle Max. I like that one also. P90 Masters
>has a total body workout in the series and it's only around
>40-45 min, but if you heavy up with the weight, it's a very
>effective workout. I love it. I get so sore from doing it.
>
>
>Charlotte - my hair's only short cuz I got scalped the last
>time I went for my cut (new stylist) -- i usually don't like
>to wear it this short either or look like a soccer Mom! (no
>offense to any soccer mom's but ya know what I mean). Where
>did your cute Avatar go?

My avatar is still there? Which one? Are you talking about a different one?

Charlotte~~

Charlotte - I can't see it .........but I'm at work ....maybe that has something to do with it cuz I can't look at your picture gallery from work either.

Thanks Charlotte, I am actually thinking of packing the boys up and heading down there in a few to try it out. I feel so much better now, cuz I knew the rotation called for intervals today, but I just realized that it is only for 25 min! I thanked GOD, because I am feeling way to tired for the whole Imax2, or 50 minutes of that stuff!
Totally feeling lazy today!
I actually will probably do it on the TM now!

Maeghan AKA megadoo

New pics added in July 25 2006 and Fitness album!!!!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar072/slider-but3/lb/203/145/154/.png[/img] [/url]

http://www.picturetrail.com/megadoo2

Lora - you can get Rice Vinegar near the mexican/asian/chinese section of your grocery store. It took me a while to find it so I finally asked. Miso is found near soy products or organic products. I actually had to go to a specialty store to find it.

Hello!

I'm off work today. Yay! The Air Force Thunderbirds are doing their show right now and they do it over the college I work at, so on Tuesday they practice and we get to watch and then have a bbq and then today we're closed. This afternoon a lot of businesses close for "Cheyenne Day" and since the college has to close in the morning for the air show, they just give us the whole day off. Nice, huh? I haven't worked out yet b/c I'm trying to get rid of my migraine. I took Imitrex and it can make me like jello so I don't want to drop any weight on my head! That might make it worse.

Lora - Yes, I do a lot of Spinervals in the winter and spring when it's too cold, snowy or windy out to ride. As for the music being bad, I guess I don't pay attention. I'm so focused on getting a good workout and becoming a better cyclist that I just don't think about it. I'm trying to do what Coach Troy says. I like most of the ones I have, but some of them are only 45 minutes long so I just spin for an extra 15 minutes. But there is one toughy in the Competition section called 2.0 - Time Trial Special. It's 60 minutes long and it has some one legged drills and is all interval work. Be sure to have more than one bottle of water and a fan!

Another friend of mine was just diagnosed with celiac disease. That's 2 friends in 6 months! That's where they can't eat gluten. Bummer. My boss has it too, but he's known about it for years. So I was reading some of the symptoms (diarrhea, fatigue, abdominal pain) and of course now I think I have THAT since I have those things pretty much daily! Hehehe. A gal I work with always thinks she has what other people have - drives me nuts - and now I'm doing it. :p

Debbie - I was starting to talk myself into doing a one body part a day rotation and now you are making me think about the whole body workouts. My only "concern" with one body part a day is that I would only work each part once a week. Is that enough? But that would give me time to do cardio every day if I wanted to - at least 45 minutes on my non-cardio days.

Netta - I'm glad you're okay! How scary. I was talking with my friend yesterday when we rode about having a triple chainring on my bike if I ever wanted to do big hills. I can do all of the hills around here on a double. There are a couple that about do me in and I'm going pretty slowly, but I was always so funny about using my granny gears (never used 'em) so DH decided my current bike should just have a double. I can't do any mountain roads though on a double, I would guess. But I don't really have the desire to, so maybe I won't worry about it. Maybe on my next bike I'll get a triple. Who knows? Anyway, congrats on conquering that hill!!!

Charlotte - I second what Netta says about your knees. BE CAREFUL in those big gears. It's really hard on your knees. One of the gals I ride with has so much power and she's a "masher" like you but her DH is trying to get her out of that habit b/c she's going to ruin her knees (she's only about 28). Also, it's hard to go long distances like that. I think after about 50 miles she'd die.

Maeghan - your pictures look great!

Hi to everyone else!

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Good afternoon,
THis morning I did 2.5 mile run on the treadmill, then Kick Max Low impact drills and Cardio Kicks power drills, then S&H Chest & Back, Ab ripper X with 15# med ball and jolie shoe weights, followed by 2 sets of 20 reps hanging knee raises with a 10# med ball and 25 leg raises on the tower. I am going grocery shopping this afternoon.

Lora, most of the recipes in the p90X book were good. I mostly used the ones in phase 1. The only things I really did not like were the cold soups.

Netta, I like to do Push Pull as an upper/lower split in 2or 3 sets. It feels a lot more intense that way.

Debbie, maybe it seems like I do longer cardio because I use portions of different workouts. Sometimes I do go over one hour though. Today was 1 hr 8 min cardio. Last week I saw that I had went over an hour 3 times so I only did 30 min. on Sat. just to average it out to 1 hr a day .

Charlotte, looking forward to more pictures.

Meaghan, Great pictures. Your boys are so cute.

Hi to everyone,
Diane Sue
http://wd.1ww.us

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.