HARDCORE FITNESS MANIACS TGIF 4/9

buttercup78

Cathlete
GM LADIES

Yesterday I did Circuit Blast. It really kicked my tail and I had to modify a few moves to keep my lungs from collapsing, but I made it :eek: Today DH and I will be using the ropes gone wild and the TRX for a circuit. Yesterday I burned 588 calories in 41 min.

Linda-I'm sorry to hear about the bunny :( That can not be a fun thing to come home to. Good luck at the ortho.

Theresa

Theresa - Will be interested to hear how that circuit goes.

Today I did Mindy Mylrea's Workout. I really enjoyed it. The cardio portion was some very basic cardio/athletic moves with 40 second intervals mixed in. At the end she did a really neat strength section with gliding discs in plank position doing burpees, mountain climbers and such. Really wanted to do it, but no planks for me.:(:(:(

So I'm sure you will all think I'm just being lazy now, but I've decided to take the next three days off. My neck is finally feeling better, no spasms this morning and I want to keep it that way. I was going to do some cardio but I am eating really well this week and feel good about myself. So I'm not going to stress about workouts and will start a new rotation on Monday.

I'm thinking of writing up a "Get Ready for Summer" rotation that I do every year for the forum. I think I'm going to do this rotation starting on Monday and not the one I was doing. That one seemed to not like me. LOL! So if I do make one up I'll get it posted by Sunday.

Linda - Oh, I'm so sorry about the bunny. That is truly odd. Maybe get a different colored bunny? I've tried a few workouts from Mindy and just don't care for her. Not sure why. Glad you enjoyed it!

Diane Sue - I will scan the workout for you this weekend and email it to you when I'm get it all done. I gotta get my scanner working first but that's only installing the drivers. No big deal.

Theresa - Nice job on Circuit Blast. Is that an STS cardio workout? Don't remember that name.

Morning Maniacs -

This morning I DID not want to get out of bed ...let alone work out. Stress at work yesterday...Majorly BAD day. Pain flaring..........you know the drill. Anyway, I did Gunnar's new Shape Workout - The Best Hollywood Workout Ever. DH decided to do it with me. I thought it was a bit easy.....but ...he said it was a "nice little workout" and I heard him huffin' and puffin' behind me??? go figure. I used fairly heavy weights as the reps were low. It had a lot of functional fitness moves and a really great biceps segment. It moved slow enough to even go heavier. The music was the typical Gunnar style. Desi (spelling - the girl from the new Cathe's) was a background exerciser. I liked it but I think (due to work stress) I needed to let my inner bad ass out today and that didn't really happen this morning. The DH said something like - you have to learn that you don't have to turn bright red and sky rocket your HR every time you workout.....who Moi????

Deb - hope you feel better soon. I'm still mad at Dante for hating Sonny! LOL.

Linda - sorry about your bunny. I liked the Workout DVD also. I like some of Mindy's stuff. She's pretty tough.

Lori - someone at VF just posted a really good instruction on how to do a kettlebell snatch without bruising your wrist (which is what happens to me sometimes). However, it was posted on their Facebook page so I can't link it here........well, I can but you need a FB account to view. The snatch has been the most difficult for me to pick up. Yes, I tap into my inner bad ass for my workouts. It's the push that pushes me and makes me work harder. I sometimes visualize overcoming challenges at work while pushing thru my workouts. I sort of approach my work life like I do my workouts....with hard work and lots of determination and Bad A@#ness! Oh...and I only get 4 hours of sleep on nights I work late and then early the next day. It's impossible to get to bed before midnight when I work till close and I have to get up at 4:30 am to workout before the early shift.........thus the life of retail! It really gets to me.

Have great workouts everyone........working 12-9......yuck!

Sorry to just jump into the group, but I think I read that Deb will be posting a new "Get Ready For Summer 2010"!!?? Oh please, oh please......that would be fantastic!:D:cool:

I am on the third week of the "Get Ready for Summer 2009" rotation right now and have been trying to figure out what next....

Thanks,

Cheryl

Cheryl-hop aboard anytime :D

Linda-I have that workout and I want to like it, but she is so chipper....I don't know, maybe I should give it another shot

Debbie-Yeah, it's a shock cardio. 6 rounds of cardio, cardio/weight type moves. I kept waiting for my heart to fail, I had to pick myself up off the floor after that one. I'm interested to see your rotation :D You do some nice work with those. And I don't think you're lazy, I think you are being smart :)

Theresa

Last edited:
Debbie - Kudos to you for not pushing to soon! And yes I have given up on black bunnies. Fortunately the store took her back and DS got one that is now a mix of gray & beige with an adorable white nose.

Lora
- Sorry you are experiencing such stress & pain right now. What other Mindy workouts do you like?

Theresa - Mindy was chipper but I didn't find her to be annoyingly so like Denise Austin! Guess one of the things that helped my was I find her physique so darn inspiring!

DianeSue - What kind of crate did you have for Harvey? The good thing was I purchased DD a bunny in back in January and that one is thriving beautifully. I think she is as strong as a horse.

Yesterday I ended up doing … nothing :eek: :mad: Well - no workout anyway. Just one of those days … feeling sort of behind on everything - I always feel busy but at the end of the day my ’to do’ list is just still so long :confused: Cardio today - Tabata probably - maybe Circuit Blast. Maybe a little of both. Starting a new weight rotation tomorrow. I was thinking about just going back through some non STS Cathe workouts - full body. That was my original idea but I may do some kind of split using sections from workouts and adding a 10x10 set at the end (been reading about that). After that for a week or two, I’m thinking of doing something combining Cathe’s Slow and Heavy with A. Bento’s Slo Mo - She has some really unique twists on exercises, but some of them I don’t care for at all and am not so sure about her form or their safety. If you didn’t really know what you were doing or weren’t awfully careful, they seem risky. Anyway. There’s my (very loose) plan.

Theresa - Exploding lungs are not pleasant :eek: - glad you made it through. Do you have any other kb workouts from Art of Strength? I shouldn’t ask, probably. I have such a long list of possibilities for what to order … I was looking at some clips on their site the other day and am just kind of curious. Your workout sounds way cool for today. Have fun!

Linda - How strange and sad about the bunny! Hope you get some answers about your shoulder from the ortho. That sounded like quite a workout - especially for someone who's working with a shoulder issue. Hope you get some answers and relief soon.

Debbie - No - not lazy - smart. If you jump back into it too soon it might just flare up again and then what? So much talk about listening to our bodies, good to know someone that actually does it :) . I love Missing Persons, too. My son and I have very similar taste in music. That’s pretty unusual, huh? It’s a big part of our life here. Hadn’t listened to the 80’s stuff in quite a while, though. I’d forgotten about a lot of those songs.

Diane Sue - I think Collage may carry the Amy kb workout you mentioned. I’ll check that out (just as long as there aren't any unusual neck strengthening exercises in there. I STILL think about that and laugh :D !!! ). Thanks!

Lora - Makes a lot of sense to me - tapping into that part of yourself. I've had issues with sleep problems for years, so I understand how hard lack of sleep can make everything else. I was thinking about this last night: combining that with chronic pain and less than ideal co-workers - AND having to just deal with those three things all at once on a fairly regular basis. Man. Pretty tough. You'd be great for one of those "Calgon take me away" commercials. Remember those? Also, I haven't even attempted snatches yet. I WANT to but am trying to be careful in my progression with them.

I don't have a facebook account but I did find this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkeWDzUMVZI I like this guy. Pretty helpful and not incredibly difficult to look at either :rolleyes:

Hi to Cheryl and hope you all have a good day.

~ Lori

Lori - Thanks for the KB video, that was a great instructional for the snatch. I have to admit I have banged my wrists a lot.:eek:

Lori - I love reading your posts - always so eloquent and fluid. :) I wish I had your talent with the pen (or keyboard). :)

Hello all,

Debbie, looking forward to one of your rotations.

Today I did bis, tris, and shoulders, tomorrow will do Circuit Blast and hopefully starting a Debbie rotation on Monday.

Lori-
I have Providence, Newport, and Kettlebell Way Vol2 Empire State. I also have Santa Monica on download, but have not done it yet. Your plan sounds good, I hope you get your rotation worked out the way you want :)

Theresa

I didn't get all of the workout in that I had planned. I started with Amy's Kettlebell Dynamics workout 1 and 2 44 minutes and burned 352 calories, the I did Amy's All Pump Extreme 3 day split back, biceps and triceps 43 minutes and burned 228 calories. Total workout time was 87 minutes and calories 580. I took the girls to school and had planned on doing tonique squat segment and using my Amazing Hoops for a few minutes. My tire light was staying on and my rear tire was losing air. I got home and it has a nail in it. My son came over and aired it up and we took it to get it fixed. Just got back a little bit ago. I have some things I need to get done before my granddaughters come over for the night. I have to take the youngest to soccer early tomorrow so not sure how a workout will turn out. I wanted to make the Berry Ginger Tofu mousse from the Clean Eating Magazine for this evening along with the Chicken Pomodoro with angel hair pasta.

Lora, I am sorry you are having a lot of pain right now. I know what you mean though on the HR etc.. I do the same thing. If I keep looking at my monitor and it is at it's lower end I feel like maybe I should just find something else to do. But, I am trying to be better about accepting less intense workouts as a good thing for me:) I need to go look at that video. I hae had bruises on my wrists doing snatches. For awhile I was wrapping terry headbands around my wrists LOL I also hate when my kettlebell smacks my HR monitor.

Linda, harvey was not a large bunny but I got him a fairly large wire crate with a little shelf in it he sat on at times. It had room for his litter box in one corner and plenty of space for him to move around and throw toys. Heavy ceramic bow(he could still move it around but not flip it) and a large water bottle that I kept a bowl that fastened to the side under because he loved playing with the water bottle and soaking the crate. I covered the bottom with newspaper and changed it daily because he liked shredding it and I didn't like the mess LOL. So, I didn't give him large amounts of timothy hay because I knew I would change it out. Later we set a box on the outside of the crate and I covered the top with newspaper and he would sit on top of his crate. I am glad they gave you another bunny.

Lori, I like the different things that Amy comes up with on her workouts. There is a couple of things that seem like if they are not done with care could cause an injury. I have a hard time with the toes in and out on one of the moves. Worry about doing that on carpet. I forgot that there were something like 96 chin ups in APX today. I did them with my door attachment and when Amy hit 16 again I couldn't quite get there.

Debbie, I need someone to come over here and get my printer/scanner working right. Everytime I think I have it it gets screwed up again. I messed with it the other day to scan and send my granddaughter's homework to her. Then last night I tried to scan a travel itinerary and it wouldn't work again. That thing is only 8 months old. Thanks:D
I think changing to something else is probably a good idea since these recent injuries you have had. I will be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Theresa, have fun with the TRX and ropes;)

Cheryl, welcome to the check in.

Cheryl - Wow. What an incredibly nice thing to say. Thank you so much! Your comment made my day - really. Sometimes I feel sorry for the ladies on this check-in -- like maybe I babble on too much :eek: . Funny too cuz believe it or not, in person I tend to be pretty quiet.

Diane Sue - Oh yah, the pull ups. Those are kind of shocking if you don't know they're coming (or had forgotten). I like the stuff she comes up with too. I've actually found myself worrying about someone (like you said) that's more of a beginner maybe messing up their back or something. There are a couple moves (I think more so in Slo Mo) that I leave out or sub in something else. She is unique though. I have APX and the Slow Mo and have found much to like about both of them. Your workout looked great to me, btw - you were gonna do MORE??!!! :)

Linda - I like him. Most of his instruction is very plain and clear. But I've run across a couple clips where he's doing these unbelievable things - more like party tricks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb5H20TEy44 :eek: It is quite possible that I may not ever be able to do that :rolleyes: . Also, I've seen him do jumping push ups (whole body leaving the ground) and I swear he comes up a good five or six inches. Quite something.

Theresa - Thanks. Of those, would any be suitable for a beginner?

I did finish my Tabata workout. That was ... tough. 8 rounds for a total of 36 minutes actual work. I had to put more than a minute rest between my bike sprints (2 rounds of those back to back). My legs just weren't ready. Really, I don't know if it's the resistance I have on my trainer or what, but NOTHING is as hard as those for me right now. The round of burpees seemed relatively easy in comparison (I'd slowed down a lot by then though). Don't think I'll be doing 2 rounds of bike sprints again anytime soon. It didn't look so bad on paper but ... wow. The rest of the workout included some plyo's and a couple rounds just for abs - lots of variety. I did do one round of kettlebell swings. Never felt it in my arms and felt the power coming from my legs but I could tell my rhythm was off sometimes ... I don't quite have them right yet - not consistently, anyway. I may try the towel trick next time. Would like to do a double header today - some steady-state tonight.

Have a good afternoon everyone,

Lori

Theresa - Hey I keep meaning to ask you how the sugar thing is going? Thought I forgot huh? Me not so great. Not eating massive amounts, but I do somehow manage to eat at least one peanut butter egg a day.:eek::eek:

DianeSue - So what they say about rabbits liking to throw things is true? I saw that on a rabbit toy and was wondering if it was just a gimmick.

Lori - I think I'll try those next leg day!:p:p:p

Linda, Harvey had a straw ball that we put hay in and he tossed that thing all over the place. He was selective on what toys he wanted to throw. He liked one that had a bell on it too. This was a younger picture of Harvey. He was pretty much full grown by then though.

Lori, I wanted to do more because I knew I would have a hard time getting much in this weekend:)

Attachments

• HarveyAug06.jpg
    HarveyAug06.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 5
Lori-Honestly, you could modify any one of those workouts to suit you as a beginner. Empire State would be a definate in my book.:) And what a nice workout you had; bike sprints are really tough. It just gets the blood puping so much, it's really easy to get winded. Some of my best calorie burns are on the bike.

Linda-funny you should ask, as I just polished off a few cookies. I am very grumpy and stressed today over money issues and cookies seemed like the logical answer to my problems :confused: I did really good yesterday, and I think it will be great once ttotm is over (if it will ever start.....). At least we are conscious of it.

Theresa

Linda -LOLOLOLOL - extra heavy on the "loud." Yah ok sure me too ;) . Wonder why Cathe didn't include those in plyo legs? Oversight, no doubt.

Theresa - Thanks so much. I will probably make a decision and order ... something ... this weekend. My mood has been pretty poor lately, too - not for the same reasons - but your logic makes a lot of sense to me all the same. Thanks about the workout. I meant to mention a round of grasshopper push-ups. They're fairly new to me and I really, really like them. They're just so different -- the only push ups I've run across that I feel so much in my lats. I'm thinking it must be the angle of the hip/sacral area. Anyway, they're just so cool I didn't want to forget to mention them :) .

Diane Sue - I understand. Same reason I'd like to get in another workout tonight. Soccer will be taking up a good part of my day tomorrow, too (among other things). DS has a game and will probably want me to be goalie so he can practice before we go. I've gotten better -- don't just react with a "duck and cover" nearly as often as I used to :eek: . DS is proud of me ;) .

Lori

Linda-funny you should ask, as I just polished off a few cookies. I am very grumpy and stressed today over money issues and cookies seemed like the logical answer to my problems :confused: I did really good yesterday, and I think it will be great once ttotm is over (if it will ever start.....). At least we are conscious of it.

Theresa

Theresa - LOL! This just cracked me up, especially since I can totally relate to that logic!:p:p:p:p

Lori - Perhaps they ended up on the editing room floor as they were too easy.:p

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.