HARDCORE FITNESS MANIACS CHECK IN 08-26

Tekmistic

Cathlete
Happy Thursday everyone!!

This morning I took a page from Lori's workouts - The Gauntlet. This should have a "Don't try this at home" label! LOL :p I was thinking because I have done all of the workouts on this DVD it shouldn't be THAT bad - yeah, right. Basically, it kicked my butt!! I wish I had a HR monitor today as I am sure I burned a zillion calories. :eek:

I hope everyone has a great day today. I am still waiting for a final decision about the house, but thanks again for all of the well wishes and prayers.

TTYL,

Cheryl :D

The train ride was fun - until the end....

So this scenic route goes from a point a little south of Cleveland to Akron. It's 26 miles. Takes 2 1/2 hrs on the train. There are serveral stops to pick up and drop off passangers and two points to stop and shop. One was about midway through the ride at a place called Pennisula. Another was in Akron. Akron doesn't thrill us. If you like to be mugged and robbed, that's the place to go.

So we decided to ride the entire 2 1/2 hours to Akron and then on the way back we'd get off at Pennisula and do some shopping and get something to eat. The ride was fun and there was a concession stand on the train. Had lunch and just enjoyed the ride.

So we get off in Penninsula and we shop a bit. Not much shopping for all the hoopla they made out of the place so once we got done walking around we decided to walk up to the next train stop, which was 2.5 miles away. Since I didn't get my cardio in I thought it would be great to hike for a little while. It was beautiful outside so the walk was awesome. Seen some really pretty stuff.

Got to our destination with an hour to spare. So we checked out the one shop there that was still opened and then went to the train station and waited for the train.

Finally it's coming down the track, we're both excited to see it coming towards us. We head to the tracks and the thing goes by and I'm like, "It's not going to stop." And dh said, "Yes it will, they have to." So it sounds like the brakes come on and it does slow down, but it never stopped! :eek: We're like, WTF??

So the train goes by, we are 10 miles away from our car in the middle of no where. So I go back to the store we were at and told the lady what happened. She freaks out and says, "OMG, I was suppose to tell you to wave both hands in the air, that signals the train conductor that he needs to stop."

Huh???

Why would we have to be flailing our arms if we are at the train station, and it's a stop they are scheduled to make?

So we're screwed. No ride back and the train would not be going by again until today.

So we call dh's brother and his stupid wife answers. This is the sister-in-law I use to walk with all the time but then she'd always find a reason not to walk. DH explains to her what happened and she tells him that his brother is under the house fixing some wood and she doesn't want to bother him and she's too drunk to come and get us.

WTH? Middle of the week and she's drunk?

Now mind you, when her husband is out of town we are ALWAYS there for her. She calls us with problems and we are there for her in a drop of a hat. So he hangs up with her and calls his mom and she says she'll come and get us. In the meantime, while he was talking to his mom, his brother called him back.

He found out what happened and was furious at his wife for not telling him. He got cleaned up and came and got us.

So it was fun when we got there but just can't believe they drove right past us. DH is going to try and call today to get a refund.

Today we are heading to the metro parks and plan on doing some more hiking. Our parks are just beautiful. We were going to go to Columbus to see the Titanic exhibit but neither of us have in us to ride another 6 hours today. We both have headaches from all the junk we've been eating too. Oh well... We are having a great time together, so who cares about headaches!?

Hope you are all having a great day!

I started my workout today with Lauren Brooks Kettlebell workout 2 Killer Abs which went much better today since my arms were not already fatigued. I used a larger kettlebell for balancing in the 1 arm plank which worked out better, 15 minutes 56 calories. Then I did Turbo Fire Fire 45, 45 minutes 351 calories Avg HR 138 Max HR 163. I finished off with Kimberly Spreen's Combat Surge premix combat bar work , 32 minutes, 203 calories, Avg HR 121 Max HR 154. Total workout time was 92 minutes and calories burned was 610. I had planned on doing the bonus stretch on this workout but had a call and found out I have to go out this morning so I stopped there. I need to head out the door. Lots of running to do today.

Debbie, I can't believe the train doesn't stop. I will keep that in mind if we ever decide to take the train ride here in our state. Ill ask if we have to wave our arms. That is the silliest thing I have heard in awhile. You sure did a lot of walking. I guess you really did get in some exercise:)

Roselyn, I am missing some of the other workouts too. But I do add on some of them. I was thinking that I did Turbo Fire 3 times this week so maybe I should do some step or something.

Cheryl, the Gauntlet does burn some pretty amazing calories. Good workout:D

Debbie - I am shaking my head - and laughing. Not at your misfortune, but -- that is just nutty :p - sounds like something from ... I don't know, the Beverly Hillbillies or something. Wonder how they'd manage an airport :confused: ??!!! Pretty sophisticated transit system there :rolleyes: Your adventure sounded incredible though. ( boo :mad: to your sil -). Sometimes those mishaps become worth it cuz they make such good stories and memories. Sounds like you and your DH are having a great (and much needed) time together. :cool:

Cheryl - YAY, the Gauntlet :p - That is quite the workout. I never know what to expect with it. Last time I did it, I had all kinda of energy and felt great. But the time before, I don't know -- It has so many shorter segments. Sometimes that makes it seem to move faster -- but I was really beginning to wonder if I was trapped inside this workout and would never get out :eek: At one point, I resigned myself: it was just never going to end -- an endless loop, gregorian knot type of thing :confused: Great job plowing through it :D Still keeping you in my prayers for the house. I think waiting for stuff like this is sort of the mental equivalent to the Gauntlet. Pulling for you, though.

Roselyn - Great job with the TF. Even doing STS, I end up 'missing' some of Cathe's other workouts. That's the tough thing about commiting to specific rotations for me. You sure are kicking it, though :)

Diane Sue - Another good one, today. Glad you posted before me today. I'm really dragging and needed some inspiration :). How does L. Brook's compare to the Benten workout? Maybe that's an unrealistic question. Just curious and would like to get a sense of how her workout's are put together.

I did get in some Budokon practice last night. Really impressed with these workouts and how the tutorial's set up. I think it's challenging - but doable. Would definitely recommend these if you feel pretty good about your flexibility and like martial arts - and yoga. There are modifications in the tutorial to work up to some of the more complicated moves - and to improve flexibility. The actual workout (I'm practicing for Power and Agility right now) moves pretty quickly, so I want to be familiar with it before I dive in. There is an option to click over to the tutorial DURING the workout if you need to - he does a good job at breaking the movements down. Anyway, I love this kind of stuff. The only problem I'm having is with my TOE. A lot of the posture's require a demi-point (dorsi-flexion) - and my ROM is no good in either big toe (broke one and jammed the other). There are also some barefoot plyo moves (one's a 360' turn). Those should be ok - learning to land like a feather - "floating" is a big part of a lot of these moves. Sometimes I can float - sometimes, I rather 'thunk,' though :confused: So while I'm learning/improving, I'm thinking I ought to wear some shoes - also to help protect my creaky toes.

Anyway - cardio today. Maybe KPC premix or Low Max. Hope to practice more on Budokon tonight. Would like to feel ready to do the actual workout sometime next week.

Have a great day everyone.

Lori

Hi Again!

Debbie - OMG....can't help but laugh, but only because you are ok. That is CRAZY!! I would definitely be calling - several times per day- for a refund. I guess being from the "civilized world" where trains are actually supposed to stop, we wouldn't figure on waving our hands in the air like lunatics!! And....about your lovely sister-in-law - I think you might have to be a bit tipsy next time she calls for help! Arrgghhh...I hope the rest of your trips are uneventful!

Lori- Yes, I definitely feel like I am in the "Gauntlet" the past few weeks! The Budokon workouts sound like so much fun! I love martial arts and yoga, so that really sounds awesome. Unfortunately, I will not have a "budget" for any new workout DVD's for a while...new house, etc! I am looking forward to my new "master bedroom" workout room, however, and already have BIG plans! :D

Diane Sue - Another amazing workout today! You really need to send me some of your energy! It has been taking everything I can muster to get through my workouts this week. :(

Roselyn - Nice workout!! Thanks for the well wishes.

Well, the appraiser called to schedule an appointment next week, so I guess that means the mortgage is a go....not sure? These things are so crazy!! I was told the appraisal would not be ordered until the mortgage committment was done, so I'm "walking on sunshine", at least "tiptoeing" for the moment, because I still have no official word from the bank. Anyway, I have camp to look forward to this weekend and hope to get in some serious exercise. Between PMS and stress I have eaten a few small cities this week. :eek:

Gotta get back to work....have fun!!

Cheryl

Last edited:
Lori, Lauren Brooks has a completely different personality than Brook Benton. She is pretty serious. She does give some good form pointers that help with the Turkish get up and helped me with the windmill. The prodution quality of the workout is pretty bad for the cost. I like Brook Benton better. The moves in it are done for 30 seconds then move to the next move. On the first workout section "grind" there are several moves done back to back with a 30 second rest and then repeated follow with another 30 second rest and start a new round of moves that will be repeated the same way. On the second section"smoker" you do all of the moves for 30 seconds each then have a 30 second break and start over. There is a little cooldown break and if you do it with the choose to go on there is the "finisher" which is done tabata style 20 seconds on 10 sec off for 6 minutes total time. You can do the "finisher" on it's own. Then Abs is done in the same 30 second each move format with 30 second rest and repeat then a second round of moves done the same way. There is a short stretch at the end. I hope this all makes since. There is a tutorial segment on the moves. I didn't watch it. What I have done so far has a different feel than Brook Benton's. But, I have not done the Smoker and Finisher yet which would appear to be more cardiovascular than what I did.

Diane Sue - THANK YOU so much :) - What a great description/review. Sounds like a very tough workout. I've really come to like (or at least appreciate) interval training. Wondering if I should hold off on something like that though for now. I felt real good about my form (most of the time) in the Brook Benten workout. That was the longest stint of kb work I've done so far. Glad I practiced for as long as I did (several months by now). Still need to trial run Providence. I guess it's about pacing yourself partly, but I'd rather have more time just getting comfortable with longer workouts and have form become almost second nature before pushing any harder than I did in the Benten workout. I thought that one was solidly challenging and very good without being over the top. Anyway - I always appreciate your thoughts on these things - and the time you put into explaining.

Cheryl - I'll say a 'cautiously optimistic' congratulations then? Almost sure - that's pretty good, but I wish they'd confirm it fully for you. I'll keep you posted on how the Budokon goes. This is as close to a martial arts class of some kind that I can get right now (always wanted to do that). So, I'm pretty stoked. Most of the moves, I can do - some, will take a bit of work/practice I think. But I'll get there. So that's a good mix - challenging but not frustratingly beyond me. How great about your new workout room :D Lots of floor space then? Planning is so much fun ... Well :confused: - Yah. It is. I had/have lots of plans for this house, even still. Way more than I've managed to actualize. I guess it's a process and I really never have a reason to say I'm bored :p. Let us know when you find out for sure.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.