Hardcore Fitness Maniac Hotties for 3/16

orphylea

Cathlete
Morning maniacs! Yesterday was a rest day for me.

I did STS #1 this morning (DH and I are repeating week #1 only) and stability ball abs. I also did the 9 minute LIC blasts only at the end just to get a little cardio fix in today. I like repeating this workout, even with the 1,000 push ups- I understand the pacing a little better and got a more efficient workout. The abs did me in- those J things with one leg off the ball? Um, no. The one legged pikes? Um, no. My two legged pikes are already fairly sad looking so I'll stick to those. Eh, gives me something to work towards.

Have a great day everyone!

As I was catching up with my magazines on Friday, a rotation in M&F for Men caught my eye. It's something I would NEVER think to do - high endurance - but for some reason this article intrigued me.

It's called the "Tabata Training Style" and it works one body part a week. It calls for 8 sets but get this: 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off. No set reps here, just do the exercise until the timer goes off.

:eek: :eek:

Talk about getting out of my comfort zone.

So that's what I did this morning. I tried it with chest. I liked it. A lot.

I'm in a huge plateau right now and this should get my body burning fat again.

Two things I don't like about it: 1. It's a pain to do the 20/10 counts. I used two Pampered Chef timers. Worked well with Chest but I'm not sure how I'll do this when it comes to Squats. 2. My right shoulder got very fatigued. I could have definitely gone heavier with my weights but my shoulder just burned. Not sure why my left one was ok.

So here's my workout. Article says you need to cut your weight back to half of what you normally would use. Very high in intensity and my HR was up there through the whole thing. I wore my HRM to see how it was going. This week is trial/error with the weights.

10 minutes on treadmill for warmup.

3 minutes rest between each exercise.

CHEST
Pushups:
On Toes: 13/13/13/11/10
On Knees: 12/13/13
***Wow, this was the hardest exercise. 10 seconds is VERY short for rest.

Incline Bench Press:
45# - 12/12/11/12/11/11/10/10
***Should have gone higher here.

Flat Dumbbell Press:
20's - 11/11/10/11/11/10/10/10
***Right shoulder started feeling it with these. I think this was a fairly good weight for this exercise.

Flat Dumbbell Flyes:
15's - 10/10/10/9/9/10/9/9
***This was light but my right shoulder was really burning.

I then got on the treadmill again for 15 minutes. Just did a light walk on an incline.

I sure hope I feel this in my chest this evening or tomorrow. I felt it more in the shoulder area. I'll be curious to see if I get sore from this.

HR stats after 10 minutes on treadmill and weight section:
40 minutes
0 minutes below zone
39 minutes in zone
2 minutes above zone (this was with the pushups)
306 calories burned

HR Stats after entire workouts:
1 hour
4 minutes below zone
55 minutes in zone
2 minutes above zone
427 calories burned

This rotation calls for little cardio. Doing the 20/10 training is endurance and is counted as cardio. I will be doing only one cardio workout a week doing this. You are only suppose to do this type of training twice a year for only 4-6 weeks. I will try to do it for 6 weeks and see what happens.

Last edited:
Good Morning Maniacs!!!

Debbie,

Interesting workout! Looks like it is very intense. Good job!

Today I am gonna do BC from 4DS and work legs/abs. Try to get in some yoga later or before.

Two things I don't like about it: 1. It's a pain to do the 20/10 counts. I used two Pampered Chef timers. Worked well with Chest but I'm not sure how I'll do this when it comes to Squats. 2. My right shoulder got very fatigued. I could have definitely gone heavier with my weights but my shoulder just burned. Not sure why my left one was ok.

Debbie - Really interesting workout will be interested to see what results you get, so please keep us posted. I have a suggestion on the timer thing. Your Nike Imara HRM has an interval feature so you can set one for 20sec and one for 10sec, then it just keeps cycling between the two beeping at the change until you stop it. After your 3 minute rest you just start it again. HTH!

Morning Maniacs! No workout this morning...just ran out of time! My dh and I think our little Rob the Robin is back! We aren't positive yet, but today we saw what we think is him, checking out the old food dish we had for him that's on top of our shed and he's hanging out in the same tree and he responds back to our whistles. The other Robins out there aren't doing that. Wouldn't that be the coolest thing ever?

Debbie- I checked out Tabata Squats on youtube and they are doing them really fast (with no weights) for the 20 sec. and for the 10 sec. they hold it static in the squat position. Talk about a burn! I've read that people like to use a Gym Boss timer for their Tabata drills. I always wanted one of those.

Patti-
You can do those pikes and such with the Valslides too. Just as tough, but somewhat easier to balance.

Linda-
I've used the interval timer on my Nike HRM too. I hate that you can hardly hear it though.

Toasty- You doing any certain rotation right now, or are you just winging it? I'm just winging it for now. I got sick of my CLX rotation, even though I liked it. I just had a couple more weeks left, but felt I was going to kill someone if I continued;). I'm a rebel.

I really liked the split I did last week so I decide to keep it this week. Also don't think I will be doing any squats or lunges yet this week.

1 minutes runs in between sets.

Chest
Incline DB Press
12/12/10 - 35's
Dumbbell Flye
15/15/15 - 20's
Pushups
15/11/11

Triceps
Lying DB Ext.
11/10/10 - 20's
DB Close Grip Press
10 - 30's
10/11 - 25's
DB Kickbacks
10/18/19 - 12's
***While my weights aren't increasing, my reps are, so I am happy. This time I refuse to move the weight up too quickly***

Workout was 58 minutes and burned 495 calories.

Dallys - It would be so cool if Rob was back!

Debbie - Really interesting workout will be interested to see what results you get, so please keep us posted. I have a suggestion on the timer thing. Your Nike Imara HRM has an interval feature so you can set one for 20sec and one for 10sec, then it just keeps cycling between the two beeping at the change until you stop it. After your 3 minute rest you just start it again. HTH!

I'm already feeling it, so I guess it has done something. The tops of my chest is already getting sore! :eek: I'll have to check my Nike, I'm going to wear my Sportsline HRM and I think it has one of those times in it too. But I still think it's a pain. Unless you hold the position with the weights in your hands, I don't see how you can get it at exactly 20/10. I had the 20 second timer set at 24 so I could have 4 seconds to get into position. took 4 seconds to come out of position and then I hit the 10 second button for the rest. So really I'm taking an extra 8 seconds and I'm not sure that's how it's suppose to be done. I will google Tabata and get more of an understanding on how it's done.

Debbie- I checked out Tabata Squats on youtube and they are doing them really fast (with no weights) for the 20 sec. and for the 10 sec. they hold it static in the squat position. Talk about a burn! I've read that people like to use a Gym Boss timer for their Tabata drills. I always wanted one of those.

Thanks Dallys. I'm going to google it when I get a few here at work and see how it's suppose to be done. I was wondering if I should just keep the weight on my shoulders and do my rest that way. You are suppose to use weights for this. I will have to go light.

Debbie: That sounds really neat! The fact that you are already sore is goooood. :) I got some decent DOMS last week from my STS legs workout from the paper plate lunges and I was so happy. Anyway, keep us posted on what you figure out for this rotation.

Dallys: Good thought- thanks. I will give it a shot. I did weights and plates the other day and it was tough but fun. I will complain and say that the abs segments in STS are so loooooong. I prefer 8 minutes and under, thank you! I doubt I will stick with STS abs for the entire STS rotation- I'll get cranky.

Hi Linda! Glad you're taking it easy on that knee.

Must go run my mom to the airport. I'll miss her, it's been a lovely visit. Why does Arizona have to be so FAR?? Later amigas.

Debbie - I have that magazine too. Scanned the article last night but didn't look at it in depth yet - too sleepy to concentrate! I saw something interesting in there but can't think what it was now. See, I was sleepy!

Diane Sue - In the Oxygen mag, there is a foam roller workout - thought of you!

Patti - I know you will miss your mom. Glad you had a nice visit.

Linda - Way to go on not pushing the knee! That is hard to do - to not just want to go for it and see what happens. Hope it heals all the way very soon for you.

Dallys - I don't know about Rob since I am a relative newcomer here but how cool that would be if he returned :)

Char - Hi to you :) Enjoy the workout and your crazy heavy squats!!

Yippee - active recovery for me. My legs are STILL sore so it won't be anything too crazy. And I'm doing an ab routine from that new Oxygen - it uses the bench. I think I will be saying OUCH.

Today's workout was STS disc 19 chest shoulders and triceps. I liked the double wave sets. I then ran 2 miles on the treadmill and did 4Day Split Low Intensity step cardio premix with the stretch. Total calories burned was 779. I have to run a couple of errands before I can put the grandbaby down for a nap so will come back and read posts in a bit.

Debbie - I have that magazine too. Scanned the article last night but didn't look at it in depth yet - too sleepy to concentrate! I saw something interesting in there but can't think what it was now. See, I was sleepy!

Shana, the abs article is awesome too. I've been doing it with my abs routine and it works my abs like never before.

Hey there. You are all little busy bees this morning!

Debbie...Interesting workout. Kept you heart rate in your zone so that's cool. Cardio only once a week...bet you're happy, I know how you love your cardio! :p

Dallys...That would be neat if it were Rob! Is there any way for you to tell for sure? How do your legs feel today after your ride yesterday?

So I have completed 4 weeks with Olesya. We focused on leaning out, which I definitely think I accomplished. Now the focus will be building lean mass. She is keeping me on my current training routine for another couple weeks then will switch things up. She also increased my carbs. I have leaned out without losing any weight. Posted some progress pics.

Todays workout is plyometrics and HIIT.

Hello to everyone else.

FOODS FOR TODAY

M1: ON whey protein shake w/strawberries & banana; 1/2 grapefruit (pre workout)
M2: ON whey protein mixed w/8 oz. grapefruit juice
M3: Fresh Cinnamon Roll BSN w/ 1/2 c. oats & 1 tbsp. Naturally More PB
M4: Zucchini lasagna; orange
M5: Chocolate Pro Pudding w/ 1/4 c. oats
M6: Chicken Stew; salad w/Lite Northern Italian Dressing
M7: 2 whole eggs

1785.5 calories
45 g. fat - 23%
170 g. protein - 38%
183 g. carbs - 41%

Debbie - clearly, I have lost my mind. What issue was that in? I thought it was what I looked at last night but it must have sounded familiar from something else I had read. I wanted to ask you about the ab routine anyway b/c you had mentioned enjoying it so much.

Sonya - looking HOT woman!! :)

Debbie - clearly, I have lost my mind. What issue was that in? I thought it was what I looked at last night but it must have sounded familiar from something else I had read. I wanted to ask you about the ab routine anyway b/c you had mentioned enjoying it so much.

Shana, it's the most recent issue - April. It has Bruce Lee on the cover. He's a nasty looking man if you ask me. Anyways, the ab thing is a long article with lots and lots of exercises to do. They even set up rotations you can do. I love this magazine.

Dallys...That would be neat if it were Rob! Is there any way for you to tell for sure? How do your legs feel today after your ride yesterday?

So I have completed 4 weeks with Olesya. We focused on leaning out, which I definitely think I accomplished. Now the focus will be building lean mass. She is keeping me on my current training routine for another couple weeks then will switch things up. She also increased my carbs. I have leaned out without losing any weight. Posted some progress pics.
There really is no way for us to tell if it's Rob. If it is him, he is all grown up with a gorgeous big red chest and has a girl friend that's not all that pretty, lol. I think the only thing that will let us know for sure is if he starts eating the blue berries I put out for him. He loved those. So far, I'm just feeding flies. I can't believe we already have flies.

Your progress pictures are looking fantastic! I can really tell you have leaned out. I bet it helps having a coach to motivate you along. You should be proud of yourself. You have been working hard.

My legs are feeling it some, but not to bad. Biking is weird that way. You can barely move them the day of the ride, but next day, you are ready to do it all over again.

Last edited:
Dallys - I don't know about Rob since I am a relative newcomer here but how cool that would be if he returned :)

Rob was a little baby Robin that my husband and I hand fed all summer last year. He got really comfortable with us and would walk right into the house and land on Carma, follow me around the yard, etc. It was so fun! One day he just disappeared. So maybe, just maybe he survived and came back. There is a picture of him in my picturetrail l. That was the day we sent him out on his first flight.

I just finished cooking up a pot of Oxygen Magazines Cashew Butter Chicken Stew for lunch. I love that recipe:)
I had fat free cottage cheese post workout this morning. Not sure what dinner will be.

Shana, I saw that foam roller workout in Oxygen. I already have used all of those moves from my different workouts.

Sonya, you can tell that you have been really working hard and following your nutrition plan well. You look great!

Dallys, that is so cool that Rob may have came back.

Debbie, that workout sounds like it should shock system. I will have to look for that article. I think I had read an article from AOS about Tabata training. It will be interesting to see how you like it.

Patti, I love those abs circuits exercises. That stability ball one is a good one. Really a challenge:D

Shana, it's the most recent issue - April. It has Bruce Lee on the cover. He's a nasty looking man if you ask me. Anyways, the ab thing is a long article with lots and lots of exercises to do. They even set up rotations you can do. I love this magazine.

Debbie - thank you! I've not lost my mind then...I'm just loopy :rolleyes: I looked at that one but did not get it. I DID get Men's Health...DH used to get that one and I enjoyed it too. I got the one with Lance Armstrong on the cover and it was good. This issue is not so good. Oh well. I will go check out M&F then. I always get Hers and sometimes pick up the one for men. What I need are subscriptions - would be less expensive and easier to get!

Sonya, you look great in those new pics! Also, very cute bikini.

Today was a low energy day for me...had to get up early today to give a final and getting up early really just doesnt work out well for me. I did abs from Amy's Hi Lo Knockout and then a 20 min Sarah Ivanhoe yoga dvd. I'm sure I'll have more energy tomorrow.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.