Hardcore Check in April 18,2010 Sunday

WD

Cathlete
Today is my rest day. I may use the foam roller and do some stretching. Tomorrow I start week 2 of the Tabata rotation. It will be chest and abs. This is the one I got the smallest calorie burn from last week. I think most of these workouts were around 200-250 calories for me but then they are only 34-40 minutes. So still not too bad.

Good morning ~ Yesterday I did Muscle Max legs, chest and back, repeating some segments and added on some sets. That’s a really well put together TB workout. Complete in itself. That’s not why I futzed with it. I’ve just been experimenting with myself lately ( occurs to me that Dr. Jeckyl may have said the same thing to his friends at one point :eek: ). Seem to be having good results and learning a lot. I think TB workouts (less volume per body part but more often) make good sense and keep trying to steer myself towards focusing that way for awhile but - I’m really enjoying this right now. So today, I’ll do shoulders, bi’s, tri's and some cardio with kb practice in there.

Debbie - I will definitely send 4ds back. Thank you so much. It will be nice to really have that series again.

Diane Sue - I’ve noticed with Tabata that the workouts seem so concentrated - focusing a lot into a relatively small amount of time. I wonder if that effects the numbers for cal burn. Too, I wonder what you’d find if you could measure your EPOC or afterburn. I’ve heard a lot of this type of training has benefits there. Do you enjoy the Tabata training? Also, I checked out Jari’s ER and ER 1000 on Collage clips. Her workouts are really reasonably priced. Looks really good. Thank you for explaining about and recommending these :D .

Lori

Hermia - My son has always sort of poked around my weights and asked questions. A couple years ago he discovered soccer - on his own - and fell in love with it. He wasn’t one of those kids who was enrolled in a toddler league. So, he was behind in skill’s and experience, but decided he didn’t care and would catch up AND be a Pro someday :eek: . Who knows? But it’s something he’s passionate about and that’s what I think is important. So, I endure being called a soccer mom (though I hardly fit the M.O) or whatever - it’s been a wonderful thing for him. This IS tied into us working out together. He decided he needed “extra training” if he was really going to get as good as he needs to be. He asked for my help. I wasn’t too keen on him messing around with weights yet. I think he’s a little young - but in gym class they’re already taking them to the weight room and at practice they have them doing walking lunges and stuff (with terrible form and no real instruction - his knees really started to hurt him). I thought I could at least get some safety tips in there so he’s less likely to blow out his knees or shoulders. He loves it. We usually do agility drills or work with resistance bands and light weights. Once I let him use my barbell and follow the bicep track on Muscle Endurance (going super light). I told him if he started putting his back into it or doing something that looked to me like it could cause injury, he’d have to stop. His form stayed really good, but he was PURPLE by the end and had some choice words for Cathe (wonder where he got that :rolleyes: ??!!!). No way was he not gonna finish. It was kind of hard to watch, but I suppose that’s how I look sometimes. I was afraid to even say anything to him when he was done. Finally I asked “How are you? What did you think?” he said “Yah. Yah, I’m ok. Give me a minute ... Can I do it again?” :confused: ??!!! And so it goes. He just lets me know on the nights he wants to work out - or pops in on mine sometimes, usually just to "mock" me (bless his heart). I think it’s tough for him to take instruction from me - especially in this - and especially at his age. So my days of being his ‘coach’ are likely numbered. That’s ok. I’ll always remember this with a big ol’ smile. Sometimes at the end he gives me a sweaty hug and says “Thanks a lot, Mom.“ There isn’t a better gift, I don’t think.

Thanks for asking -

Lori

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.