Happy New Year PEEPS

elliemom

Cathlete
Doesn't it seem like just yesterday it was 2008??? Time flies!!!

What a great way to start the New Year. I read the Peeps thread from yesterday and was laughing so hard. PEEP DADDY!! Love it :D:D:D

Roller skating counts as a circuit workout right?? I mean I went round and round and round, Oh wait, that's a circle. But I'm counting it!!!
I was up at 4:45 with 2 roosters!!! Youngest had to go to the Dr last night for a sinus infection. So he's miserable this morning. Oldest is also not happy because the first one woke him up!!!

I loved reading everyone's goals. Together we can do this. I know it.

I will BB soon for personals. There are so many things i want to talk about!!
ellie
Tip for the day- Cut the article or recipe out of the magazine as soon as you are finished reading it. PUT THE MAGAZINE IN THE TRASH. Step away fro the trash Wendy!! Put the article right into the folder labeled Recipe etc.

oh, Ellie... we were posting at the same time!!! great minds think alike... will go pull the string to deflate and bring on the party here!

ETA: Ok, so this is when I thought "I" was the first peep on the block!

Hi Peeps... so how strange is this... I was in bed by 8pm last night and missed all the festivities, yet I am UP before the regular roosters and alarm clocks!

**quietly asks how all the peeps are feeling today** but since most of you were staying home and not visiting the party scene (sans JJ! :)) that you are all just wanting to sleep in that few extra minutes just because you (hopefully) can! I, on the other hand, couldn't breathe at 4am PST, so decided to see what was on cable and see who might be peeping! OK, so it's 7:30 Eastern and I'M the first peep to peep?!

Hope to have a nice quiet day with my blockbuster movies, a nice breakfast, and set up my new years eating plan!

will BBL to check on y'all... I have started coffee and will be passing around a mug, so come on in, pull up a chair and 'clink' in the new year!

Last edited:
No Dani- let's have 2 Peeps threads and freak everyone out!!!!:confused:
It'll be FUN!!!!
ellie

Ellie: it's only 7 hours into 2009 and you are already stirring up trouble! :)

so has anyone figured out how to get their butts off the couch? That is one tip I would really like... Apparently the prednison-type Rx I got last week worked wonders for getting rid of the fluid in my knees and they are feeling much better... however, since that 6 day cycle is now over, and I"m back to taking a daily anti-inflamitory I'm starting to get all puffy again today... couldn't be the extra salty popcorn I ate yesterday, or the diet soda, or the cheese, salami and wheat things COULD IT??? :eek:

Putting together some easy recipes for breakfast and get a handle on how to eat healthy while eating out for lunch... might do a protein shake or something at night after workout... I don't like eating so late, but I don't get done with my workouts until almost 6:30 and in bed an hour later during the week....

So what are the peeps up to today!

Hi Ellie and Dani and all other Peeps today!

DH had to go to work this morning, so I am up and ready for my check in. Did chinese last night, fell asleep around 9pm, woke up in time to go downstairs for the countdown with my DS, then went back to bed!

Okay, I am trying to have no candy today, which will be a first in awhile for me, but I am going to try to clean up my act and stick with my resolution.
KM is on the agenda once DS gets up and can watch the puppy ( we have 6 mo. chocolate lab that we rescued at 7 wks).

Dani - the prednisone stuff stays in your system for a good 2 wks after you are finished with it, so the salty stuff is going to do a real number on you during that time. My DH has been on it periodically, and it is strong stuff...

Have a great day everyone.

Hi conni: I'll do KM with you today! I need something in a BAD way...

Hey Wendy: do you have a good (easy) recipe for banana bread? I have 3 overripe and keep thinking I need to make something with them rather than just throw them away... I love nana bread! :) pretty please???

Guten Morgen, Peeps!

HAPPY 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did sections 1 & 2 of Rhythmic Step and followed up with the Stretch Max segment with no equipment. I am now eating a bowl of chocolate flavored Malt-o-Meal and am amazed that Houdini is not up yet!! I have on HGTV in the background, DH will be up to watch his Iowa Hawkeyes in their bowl game at 10. My job is to keep Houdini entertained so he can watch the game...GOOD LUCK ME! LOL!

Ellie-Let's call your workout the innovative, cutting-edge Circle Workout!! LOL! And yes, it totally counts. :)

Dani--Uh, yeah, you kind of ingested a *wee* bit of extra sodium yesterday...LOL! I love your goal of putting yourself out there a little more. Oh, believe me, I understand how hard that is!!! I actually found my mommy group through meetup.com. Have you ever been there? You can type in your zip code and it lists all kinds of social groups you can join. Anything from people who like to meetup for brunch at restaurants, to political groups, to moms of multiples, to quilting groups (cough cough might be perfect for you.) It might be a good way to see what is out there and find something to help you take that first step!!

Conni--Awh, I bet your puppy is so cute! :) By the way, I was asleep 1/2 hour behind you at 9:30PM, ha! And not that I'm trying to wreck your resolution, but do you eat dark chocolate? That is actually good for you if you only eat a few squares a day. I do it DAILY and it really takes care of my sweet fix...Even Ellie Krieger on Healthy Appetite says that's OK so it must be good for us!! She did an episode where she packed it in a lunch. Another healthy way to get that chocolate fix is to drink a cup of dark hot chocolate (made with skim milk or water.) That has a LOT of antioxidants in it. And yummy!

BBL to see what everyone else is up to and of course, to read Ellie's personals because they always make me laugh. :)

:) Wendy

Holy cow, it's 2009!!! What happened to 2008? I was actually up till 10:30 last night, which is later than my normal bed time. I think I was up that late simply due to laziness...I was on the couch surfing the net on my laptop and didn't feel like getting up and going to bed.

Last night DH & I watched The Bucket List. Has anyone seen this? What a good movie! We were done by 8pm so that he could do his online game with his brother and their friend at 8:30...they had decided to play and he told me that if they played without him, he would get left where he was in the game and would die. *rolls eyes*

DD spent the night at a friend's house...and their family stay up late and do lots of fun things and they were making a big to-do over the new year so I know DD was up later than me.

It's 7:30 here and I was up about half an hour ago. I slept well until later on during the night (after 4am, really), when DH started to snore. He always does and I think that if we had a bigger house with an extra bedroom that I would just start sleeping in my own room. It might cause a divorce, but at least I'd finally be sleeping well!

I am planning on working out this morning, but will have breakfast first. Starting tomorrow I have to get back to my work schedule, meaning getting up at 4:45. I don't want to go into shock on Monday! I've been sleeping in till about 7am the past few days. The dogs will never let me sleep in later, though.

Have a great day everyone and I'll BBL!

Dani--I have a GREAT recipe for spiced banana bread! Let me go find it and I'll post it....

Thanks Wendy! I knew I could count on you!

Also, I purchased these really cool (large wheeled) roller skates a few years back, 1) because they just LOOK cool; and 2) because I wanted to do something, but rollerblading is just not in the cards, so I thought if I had 2 sides of wheels on both feet I wouldn't fall over!.. well OVER isn't exactly the way I fell... front and backward was more like it... let's just say that they roll pretty fast and I didn't want to get the hang of it on pavement! Might try the track as the surface might be a bit rougher and thus wheels won't turn so fast! So, Ellie, I agree with Wendy! rollerskating IS a GREAT workout, especially for the legs! When I was a kid we would go every weekend and I would come home all sweaty and worn out!!!

ETA: I haven't used them since and they have a layer of dust and dustbunnies!

Spiced Banana Bread

2 c. flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 TBSP baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves

3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 2/3 cups sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup skim milk or skim buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Spray two loaf pans with cooking spray.

In large bowl, mix first 7 ingredients (dry ingredients.) In another bowl, mix the next five (wet ingredients.) And wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until evenly moistened. Divide among two loaf pans. Bake 45-50 minutes until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool in pans 10 minutes, then cool on rack.

*Optional add ins: walnuts, raisins, dried cherries, chocolate chips.

The spices make this so good!! And best of all, you'll notice there is NO OIL in this recipe. I use the low-fat buttermilk for a richer flavor.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thank you SO much Wendy ~ you are amazing! I'm off shortly to get some loaf pans! and some baking soda, and some baking powder, and some... well you get the picture (I don't do this very often) just sounds SO good! and I like the chocolate chip idea!

Mornin' Jill: Sounds like you had a pretty quiet evening too! I have to agree that if I had a separate bedroom I would definatley end up there more often than not... it's a vicious cycle though... the earlier I go to bed, the earlier I wake up, but the later I go to bed does NOT necessarily mean the later I will sleep because of DH and either his alarm (at 4am) or his snoring (much earlier)! Even the Ambien is loosing its effectiveness these days... Even if I head to the couch, he still wakes me up when he leaves for work... but like you, I'm a bit discouraged about the possibility of having to have separate bedrooms!

BBL for a report on the BBread! and whatever other surprises may be forthcoming!

Happy New Year Peeps! Last night was very uneventful for me. I fell asleep on the couch at 9 pm and woke up around 11:30 and went to bed. I slept horribly with all this mucus and felt like I was going to hurl for a good 3 hours because of it. Sorry about the TMI!

Today DH and I are going to go to Costco and to Room and Board. We are looking for a desk for our office and have seen one that we like at Room and Board so we just want to check it out again and make sure that we really do like it.

I was successful shopping yesterday. All of the stores were trying to get rid of their inventory so I made out well :). I got three really cute sweaters at Eddie Bauer for $60 when normally it would have cost $120. I had my eye on these for awhile so I was glad they had them in my size. I also got 4 Yankee candles for $40. They are normally $25 each so I felt like I made out well in that respect too.

Ellie – of course roller skating counts as a workout. I haven’t been skating in so long. I am glad that you guys had fun.

Dani – wow, you are up early. Did you and your DH decide about his daughter yet? What movies are you watching today?

Conni – your dog is so cute! Good luck with eating no candy today. My goal is to do the same.

Wendy – I love RS! It’s one of my favorite Cathe step workouts. Also, I am very impressed with how much you stretch. You always seem to add on a SM segment to your workout. I really need to stretch more because it really helps me feel better but when I am done with the workout, I usually get too lazy and do a quick stretch. Good luck keeping Houdini occupied while Iowa is on. I am watching Penn State this afternoon and I can’t wait. It should be a great game. Go Lions!

Jill – I haven’t seen The Bucket List, but it is in my Netflix queue. Sorry that your DH kept you up with his snoring. I felt bad because I kept DH up all night with my tossing and turning and gagging.

Hi Karin! Sorry you didn't sleep well! I have the same issue with breathing at night... if I spray nose spray (saline and Rx kinds only) it works for a little while, but then by the wee hours of the morning, I wake up because I can't breathe through my nose anymore... since this is not a cold issue, but an every day issue, I just deal with it the best I can...

Great deals on your purchases yesterday! I didn't realize stores would be open today, but might have to venture out. I have a H/C appt tomorrow so might wait until then, just see what today brings... it IS only 7am here! lol!

As for movies: last week they were: Wanted (eh); Hancock (eh); StepBrothers (disgustingly funny - really can't believe I said that though); Bucket List (cable - TWO THUMBS UP!);
Yet to view: Eagle Eye, Dark Knight, Tropic Thunder, Ironman

I also know there is a HOUSE marathon going on one of these days! LOL!!! Ellie, you DVR'ing yours too? DH gets SO sick of them one after the other after the other! Same with CSI's!

:)

OH, and about the DD??? apparently she will be coming for a short time, but does not know exactly when... and then only for a month or so... I know what you mean about driving in the snow, but she is so young and inexperienced that her mother would feel better if she waited a bit and DH doesn't have the time to take her up there either... I remember when I was terrified to drive between Spokane and Seattle (4 hour drive) but over the pass in the winter was not a fun trip... I came from a small town when I started driving, so all the fast cars and all that traffic scared the bejeezers out of me! so I somewhat understand her apprehention... and like someone mentioned the other day, it will be nice for her and DH to spend some time together... Will keep everyone posted when it comes closer, as I am sure that I will be freaking out on a daily basis when she arrives! just a personal "quirk" I suppose... really nothing to do with her (other than she is LOUD and can talk paint off the walls)!

Last edited:
Dani - I saw Hancock and though it was "eh" too. It was kind of weird because it started off funny and then got sad and serious. I wasn't expecting that and it was just a weird way to end the story.

Of the movies you are watching today. I just saw Dark Knight last week and I thought it was pretty good. Definitely better than the older Batman movies. Batman's voice when he has his suit on it so annoying. My SIL and I were making fun of it and DH was irritated with us :rolleyes:.

I loved Iron Man. That was a thoroughly entertaining movie and probably the best I have seen all year.

As for Tropic Thunder, I would say it was ok. DH thought it was funny but it didn't really keep my attention.

Let us know what you think about them!

Peeps,Peeps Peeps

DH took the boys and went to the party without me. You would think that this would mean a nice relaxing day for me- but I worry the whole time they are gone. A friend asked me once how I stay so skinny after 2 kids at 37 and 40. I told her the truth. Somedays I worry myself sick and can't eat and other days I am so manic that I just go and go and go and forget to eat. Today will probably be the former. Although I am quite hungry after seeing the banana bread recipe.

Dani- I can't change everything in just 7 hours!!! I have to stir up something on the boards at least once a week or what will the others read!!!! Ha Ha
Why in the world are you up sooooo early??? My evil energy is coming right thru the computer isn't it!!!

Phyllis- we are over here honey!!! I know Dani tried to trick you by posting that SECOND Peeps thread, it's okay, we'll wait for you!!!

Jill- I really want to see Bucket List!!! I was asleep at 9pm last night. That's my usual. My boys get up so early. My DH snores something awful. !/2 of the time I refuse to sleep in the bed with him. I will go downstairs and sleep on the couch. He really need to get a c-pap machine and loose weight. I have been awake at night for 7 years now (since my oldest was born). They are both finally sleeping thru the night and I want to too.

Karin- the stuffy nose boogie thing really drives me nuts. I wake up a hundred times because i can't breathe!!! I wish you were able to enjoy this time home a little more. Although retail therapy is a great stress reducer. Roller skating is a blast. I used to skate as a kid into my teens. I did figure and speed. But then I got to cool I guess. My boys love it because it's a sport they can do with their glasses.

Conni- are we making you nuts yet??? I saw one of your resolutions was to increase your water intake. We have just the person here for you!!! She reminds us all (and puts us all to shame) but it has really helped me get back on track. No candy- ooohhhh that hurts. I always give up candy for lent and I'm feeling your pain. I need to go back and see the puppy. Oh, so cute.

Wendy- I hope you are decluttering!!! And we will talk about the whole pregnancy/depression / anxiety thing. NO ONE tells you and you feel like you are all alone. My psychiatrist's wife is an OB/GYN, so she was able to tell me that panic is actually VERY common during and after pregnancy, BUT NO ONE TALKS ABOUT IT because they are afraid what others might think. Well, that shit needs to stop. She also told me that it brings to the surface all the past emotions etc. And since my childhood was not good, it made sense.

I have been without power while writing this. I am now a freakin' PEEPSICLE again!!! The winds here are pretty strong so something must have come down (like a tree) see my fears are all rational. I will post as soon as it comes back on

ellie

Last edited:
I found you! Dani had to direct me though.:)

Ellie,were you looking over my shoulder when I put my magazine into the big pile that will sit there for months! I can't bring myself to throw them out. Why is that> What the heck am I saving them for? (knocks self in the head)

Dani, I bought rollerblades a few years back, but I think mine are partying with your with the dustbunnies. Everytime I used them, I kept thinking"what am I going to do if I fall and hurt myself - who will take care of my kids?" That not to mention the pain of the fall.;)

I'll try to check back later - the family calls1

So, Ellie why the he!! aren't you at Massage Envy or the spa getting a massage, or treating your self to something foofoo!!!??? You need to take your day and not spend it worrying! me, I'm one to talk, but we need to make that one a NY resolution, too! I know you have GOOD reason to worry with all the complications your boys have, but it was SO good of your DH to take them for the day... I"m sure that doesn't happen very often and they need their male bonding time!

You need to do something today that will take your mind of the cares of the day... Hey, I'm sure there is a wagon train to Vegas leaving the station at any moment... I'll pick you up when you get here!

I was up so stinkin' early because I had the nose boogies too... it's so dry here and a little humidifier doesn't do much good... I just have a lot of nasal drip so when I woke up at 4am (usual during the week) I just couldn't see myself laying there for another 2 hours listening to DH snore and getting a wet puppy nose in the face! so I came to the couch and figured there would be SOME Peep up from the East coast!!!

Spiced Banana Bread

2 c. flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 TBSP baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves

3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 2/3 cups sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup skim milk or skim buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Spray two loaf pans with cooking spray.

In large bowl, mix first 7 ingredients (dry ingredients.) In another bowl, mix the next five (wet ingredients.) And wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until evenly moistened. Divide among two loaf pans. Bake 45-50 minutes until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool in pans 10 minutes, then cool on rack.

*Optional add ins: walnuts, raisins, dried cherries, chocolate chips.

The spices make this so good!! And best of all, you'll notice there is NO OIL in this recipe. I use the low-fat buttermilk for a richer flavor.

Enjoy!

Ok, so DH is in the DOG HOUSE!!! I asked him just now if we had all the ingredients to make the above and he said... yeah, everything but the bananas! OMG! he threw them away last night... and i'm NOT going dumpster diving even if they DO have the peel to protect them! So, this will definately be archived and kept for another day! I'm sure that we will have overripe bananas again... seems to be our MO... we eat the first few in the bunch but always have a few left overs that are too mushy to eat!

Happy 2009, Peeps!

Last night we had a great dinner at a nice Italian restaurant in Cape May, and were home by 10:30, and we did manage to ring in the new year, but that was about it. No workout for me today, DW and I are starting Weight Watchers together on Monday, 1/12, next week we are concentrating on de-Christmasing the house.

I'm going to do a 4 Day Spilt rotation starting on the 12th..Ellie and Phyllis...I haven't forgotten about out group class on the 16th, I will figure that into the rotation as well.

Have a great day, may BBL for some personals, we have a few trips to make, so don't know if I'll get a chance to hop back on later.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.