Fitness Freak or any Hardcore Fitness Maniacs

Reese777

Cathlete
Hi to all of you amazing people! :)

Fitness Freak (or any of you other wonderful people willing to give their input) please give me some pointers on the diet part of things. I have worked out for years, but I know now (without a doubt) that my diet is screwing me up horribly. For years I thought I just "wasn't working out hard enough" and I was nearly killing myself with exercise so I constantly got hurt.

What I have problems with is, I can relatively tell what a "clean" food is - it's just that there is a disconnect between that and implementing it into my life. Does that make sense? I can say "yes, food A is better for me and my goals" but I have trouble picking these foods and putting them into my life conveniently. If there's lots of recipes and things like that I just will quit because there's a lot of stressors in my life right now, and I don have alot of tolerance for things that add to the stress already there. It has to be simplified I guess.

Another thing is, I'm about 5'10 and around 160-165. I would like to be around 140 (but i really don't care about the weight as much as how I look). I sometimes wonder if I'm eating enough food for my efforts. There's so much conflicting information out there that I find myself saying "screw it" and ordering a freaking hamburger because it's food, and I have to eat, and I'm exhausted torturing myself over what to eat and what's good for me when I'm obviously dropping the ball anyway!

I really want this and I'm willing to put the effort in though - I think I just need some support too from people that have made it work.

I'd appreciate any info or pointers that anyone could give me! I'd also like to check in here (if I can live up to the standard I've seen!!!!) if you guys wouldn't mind that.

:)

Reese,
I see your post but don't have time to answer right now. I'll try to answer as soon as I can.

Maybe another Hardcore Lady can help! They all eat healthy and clean. If not, I'll be back to help with suggestions!

Oh thanks so much!

I'll be happy to wait until you have time - and I welcome anyone's input - so many of you look amazing that its plain to see that you know what you're doing (I'm so jealous..haha). I've felt like such a loser in this area for so long - I need some positive input, tips, etc.

Thanks in advance!
:)

Bumping for ya. It won't take too much longer. Besides, I want to know too.

Janie

4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif
[/url]

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

Reese,
I'm sorry, I don't get on here much during the weekends. Anyways, diet is the most difficult part of any training program. It takes willpower and discipline constantly.

First and foremost, it's important to learn how to eat right. Eating 5 to 6 meals a day is ideal to get your metabolism moving. If you are training, your body needs constant nurishment to run. It's like a motor, it needs gas and oil to maintain, your body is similar.

It took me years to learn to eat right. The first thing I did was join Weight Watchers. I learned how to eat smaller portions, but I ate more often. I counted points and lost 20# doing that.

Then I purchased the "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" ebook and I've followed that ever since. It has helped me to learn what my body needs and how much of it it needs.

Some foods you should always have in your fridge are:

Chicken breast
Spinach
Any greens for a salad
Light dressings
Turkey breast
Fish
95% or 97% fat free beef (if you can find it, I order mine from the grocery store I go to)
Almonds, walnuts
Cottage Cheese
Light yogurts
Fruits but limited

That is just some of the things I eat. I eat clean Sunday through Friday and I give myself a cheat day on Saturday. At least I have one day to look forward to and I can eat whatever I want. That works for me. Some people just give themselves one or two cheat meals during the week to break up the monotony.

There are so many good books out there on eating clean and healthy. And Oxygen Magazine puts out a Clean Eating magazine very few months so look for it. It has helped me a lot.

I'm not Fitness Freak or one of the Hardcore Fitness Maniacs regular posters, but I've had my own successes personally (after YEARS of trial & error) and with other people as a trainer, and I'd like to suggest that you find a copy of the June 2008 Women's Health & read the article "Diet's Demise - Why Diets Don't Work (And What Really Does." To boil it down to its simplest terms, you have to find what works for YOU long term - you have to find what works to help you also keep the weight you lose off; make small changes that add up to calorie saving; exercise; and allow for cheating.

Adding my .02 here too.

I don't cook extravagantly most of the time. I'm like Debbie (who posts her diet on the Hardcore thread) and eat just basic foods most of the time.

Breakfast is whole grain toast with 1 TBS peanut butter or some egg whites with frozen spinach and onion - just add a little salsa for additional flavoring.

Mid AM snack is cottage cheese or string cheese with a fruit.

I'll cook extra protein at dinner(last night I had DH grill two extra chicken breasts for my lunches this week) and then I just toss the chicken, carne asada, salmon, shrimp, etc. onto a quickie salad of chopped romaine, tomato, shredded carrots, a little onion and some cucs. Add a couple TBS of Paul Newman light dressing and I'm good to go.

Snack is something leftover in the fridge or a protein smoothie or something like my mid AM snack.

Dinners is grilled protein with a large salad full of 6 or 7 veggies, steamed veggies or grilled veggies.

I don't eat too much in the way of potatos or rice but do add them here and there and I found some tortillas that are low cal (80) low fat (3 gms) with high protein (8 gms.) and will sometimes have a wrap for lunch (turkey, LF cheese, romaine and a sliced tomoato) or mid PM snack.

I sometimes play with our dinners and create marinades or make salsa with tomoatos or fruits (mango, papaya, etc) and then use those at lunch too.

Keeping it simple takes the stress off - and if you can prepackage your leftovers for snacks and lunches when putting it away at dinner it saves time and the thought process so you don't eat something you really don't want to (the freaking cheeseburger:p ).

HTH a little on the planning side of things.

Well I gave you my advice last week, and really all you need to do is just read our check in's to see what some of us do eat..it is usually posted daily. I know Debbie will post what she eats everyday and so do a few others.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.