Fit & Fab 40s

Ronne

Cathlete
Hello everyone

I'm back! The much-anticipated break didn't work out quite as planned as I was really ill. Am just recovering and hoping to get a workout in today.

It's DD's birthday today but she's at home ill, poor thing. She had her party on Saturday though so at least she enjoyed that. It feels like a perfect storm round here at the moment.

Anyway, hope all is well with you and I'll be back tomorrow with my head cleared!

And if someone's already started a thread - apologies :confused: I'm just not with it.

Happy Monday everyone,

Still on the STS program. Still sore. Still tired and hungry. Still crazy. :)
Hello to all who follow.

Ronne - keep that illness to yourself. I woke up this morning with a scratchy throat and am not feeling 100%.

Murphy

Illness!

What is it with illness today? My son started the day off with a bout of vomiting... lovely. Poor kid was just so sick, and it breaks my heart to see him that way. (Also makes me worry that it's contagious!)

Thanks to Mary, I'm making myself get into the habit of checking in again. I just can't hibernate and be miserable forever -- I've got to drag myself out of it somehow. So here I am. And yes, I worked out today -- Cardio Kickbox Challenge, with Tracey Staehle.

Ronne and Murphy, I hope you feel better soon!

Hi girls! Today I did Jari, S&L, hadn't done it in awhile, thought I might cheat on Cathe! Kathryn, so glad you are back with us! We missed you! I would like to hibernate today, it is cold and raining. So glad my DD's basketball game got rescheduled,now I don't need to leave the house again tonite! Ronne, sorry to hear that you were sick, hope that your daughter feels better soon! Murphy, don't get sick!! Lisa, how are you? How was your Sat.? Did your son like the school? Well, the children will be walking thru the door in moments, need to look busy! Have a good night. Mary

Hey, wowsa, its hopping here!

Workouts: Sat, B&G overall legs PM, Sun, 4DS C/S/T PM, Mon, Ab circuits weights and plates.

Sat I wore myself out, first did B&G, then I vacuumed then entire house (including along the baseboards) with my new Dyson vacuum, that thing sucks good! I think I got stuff that's been left there for years by my old vacuum. I needed to get the front 2 bedrooms organized since one is my new cardio workout room and the new treadmill came today!!!! I've been too busy working to go play with it and it's killing me!

My DS is sooooo ready to get out of HS and into college and the trip is making him excited I think although he won't admit it.

It was snowy all weekend! Good weekend for cleaning---in fact I felt like I did spring cleaning, so spring MUST be around the corner, right?

I broke down and called my sis who isn't talking to me to tell her to go buy her a dyson. Talked to me like nothing had happened even though I started the convo saying "I know you aren't talking to me but...." Silly stupid family issues. geez

Kathryn, glad to see you back, now stay awhile!

Ronne, oh dear, I hope you and your DD get better....for that matter, I hope Kathryn's DS gets better and no one else gets it.

Hi Murphy, way to go on STS! I'm about ready to start a STS rotation, you are such an inspiration!

Hi Mary, you sound so busy with kids school/sports. WTG with staying with the workouts even if you do cheat.

I better scoot back to work

Hey, wowsa, its hopping here!

Sat I wore myself out, first did B&G, then I vacuumed then entire house (including along the baseboards) with my new Dyson vacuum, that thing sucks good! I think I got stuff that's been left there for years by my old vacuum. I needed to get the front 2 bedrooms organized since one is my new cardio workout room and the new treadmill came today!!!! I've been too busy working to go play with it and it's killing me!

Must...not...buy...Dyson!

Ooh, I've been so tempted! Our vacuum sucks (or doesn't suck, which is why it sucks!), but I'm trying to not spend the money (more than necessary) these days.

Thanks for the welcome back. I am going to check in regularly!

And now, back to work....

I....MUST....STOP....spending.....money!

But I'm glad I spent on a Dyson....20% off at Target last week.

The reason I decided to get the Dyson is because the cleaning lady (comes once a month) has one and I notice a difference when she vacuums. She doesn't clean the whole house every month so I decided that I needed the Dyson for the little I do clean anymore. I was finding I wouldn't even vacuum in between her visits because that old vacuum of mine was so clunky and didn't suck worth a darn. I think I'll bring out the Dyson more often (plus I can suck stuff up from the hard wood floor).

One drawback, the cord is too short, but it's a small price to pay to have a vacuum that sucks!

Did that help you resist Kathryn? It's time for someone else to prop up this economy, I can't afford to anymore!

I....MUST....STOP....spending.....money!

But I'm glad I spent on a Dyson....20% off at Target last week.

The reason I decided to get the Dyson is because the cleaning lady (comes once a month) has one and I notice a difference when she vacuums. She doesn't clean the whole house every month so I decided that I needed the Dyson for the little I do clean anymore. I was finding I wouldn't even vacuum in between her visits because that old vacuum of mine was so clunky and didn't suck worth a darn. I think I'll bring out the Dyson more often (plus I can suck stuff up from the hard wood floor).

One drawback, the cord is too short, but it's a small price to pay to have a vacuum that sucks!

Did that help you resist Kathryn? It's time for someone else to prop up this economy, I can't afford to anymore!

Wait -- am I insane? If I'm going to spend money I shouldn't spend, it had better be on something more wonderful than a vacuum cleaner!

That makes me sound so ... old! Pretty soon I'll be raving about toilet bowl cleaner and laundry detergent! Quick -- tempt me with some new, expensive workout gadget or program.

Does anybody have -- and love -- Insanity?

Hi everyone

Welcome back Kathryn! Great to see you again. Hope your DS is feeling better.

I can't really join in the vacuum cleaner conversation. We had an old Dyson that we gave away recently. We now have a Henry which I loath so DH has to do the vacuuming as he chose it! :eek:

Murph - hope the lurgy has gone away - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Lisa - sounds like you're banking up those workouts again. good on you! Families, don't you just love 'em? Glad you're talking again, anyway.

Mary - I'm with you on the hibernation thing. This winter has gone on too long. It's sleety and horrible here today. I'm sick of it.

DD went back to school today so we're finally getting back to normal. I've got back into work again, thank goodness. And I'm back on the Feb rotation, yesterday I did DM Cardio Blast which nearly killed me and today was GS BSB which didn't! Almost time to finish for the day, pick DD up and put some coffee on!

See you all tomorrow.

A better splurge...

Okay, forget the Dyson -- I ordered myself an iTouch instead. Hooray -- a new toy! My old iPod (six years? more?) is dying... the battery doesn't hold a charge at all and that's all the excuse I needed.

Today I did Art of Strength Newport (kettlebell) workout. Gee, I thought I was in shape -- it was a total killer. It's been more than a year since I last did it and I'd forgotten how hard it is... long cycles, still only a minute rest, and a 5-minute snatch test at the end. I'm glad tomorrow is my day off.

Now if I could only stop eating so badly! I'm such a mood eater, and all I've been in the mood for is Triscuits, cheese sticks, and chocolate! I just can't get excited about healthful stuff these days. :(

Lisa: Happy anniversary!

Mary: More snow? Just what you needed!

Murphy: STS made me ravenously hungry all the time. It just does that to you.

Ronne: Glad your DD went back to school. Miraculously, DS felt better after an hour yesterday and wanted to go to school! I don't know which was more astounding: That he recovered so quickly, or that he wanted to go to school!

Well, off the work. The boss is dropping un-subtle hints and I wouldn't want to get fired now... or would I? Hmmmm...

Hi everyone, I worked out on my new treadmill today. Oooooh, the tri-flex deck made such a BIG difference. My PF and bottom of feet in general didn't hurt, had a couple of twinges in the old knee, but it was great. The one thing the new TM doesn't solve is the will to get on it...still have to push myself, but as usual I feel wonderful after I'm done (in fact feel better since my heel/feet doesn't hurt). 45 min, 3.75 miles...this has a HRM in it and in CC4 there is a point when Coach Sean says you should be at your max, and I was. I rocked it! Can you tell I feel g---oooo----d?!?!??

Ronne, DM is always tough for me that one is at the bottom of my cardio workout pile :) As far as families, I swear mine is one of the dysfunctional ones! Don't know why that is and hope my boys don't have issues that I have with my sibs (and of course you all know it's not my fault)!. A brother that I never hear from who lives in Guam whose been married and divorced 4 times (at last I knew in 2002 when my parents passed), 2 sisters that don't talk to each other, etc....I swear I'm the only normal one! :)

Kathryn, enjoy your iTouch! there is a checkbook app I bought ($1.99) that is great for using as your checkbook register and makes balancing it a breeze.

Murphy, you'll have to tell Kathryn your thoughts of insanity....I think you are an insane woman, with all the different challenges you do! :)

Mary, how are you, the weather is nice here (40s) but off and on snow a couple of the days.....I want spring!

Oh, thanks for that anniversary wishes Kathryn......to everyone else who isn't on FB. Today marks 24 years of wedded bliss! It's amazing, I had so many people at IBM in FL telling me it wouldn't work.....I'm glad I took the chance. Looking back I can't believe I moved at age 21 from FL to CO to be with the man I had a long distance relationship and was engaged to.

Last edited:
Ronne, DM is always tough for me that one is at the bottom of my cardio workout pile :)

Lisa, if you mean Drill Max -- I just don't love it either. I make myself do it now and then, but not my favorite.

Does anybody do Cathe's old step workouts? I have them, but I haven't done them. I guess I expect the music to be annoying and the outfits to be distractingly silly. (What were they thinking, wearing those thong outfits from the 80s -- ugh!)

I noticed a lot of negative reviews about the STS Cardio series. I have it and I've done about half of them. Is anybody else using them? I think I like the MMA workouts better than many people do. I find them pretty challenging, so all of these "too easy" reviews make me wonder if I'm less fit than I thought....

I'm a mess on the step routines, though. It's going to take several more tries before I nail those down.

Okay, back to work....

Wow, I feel like I have been gone forever and it has only been a day! Wow. Well, I am fending off the cold that Ronne send me (thanks buddy). Between the cold, lack of sleep and STS, I am not sure who is going to win. I know I need to take a day off I just have to figure out when.

Kathryn - Good to see you back. I had thought about you from time to time. I saw your question about Insanity. I liked it and hated it. It is truly insane. Cathe's Hiit workouts are close to Insanity. It is mostly high impact cardio and it ranges from 30 - 60 minutes. No don't remember using any equipment, certainly no steps/benches or etc. I did lose weight with and I increased my cardio output. Just imagine doing Hiit type workouts three times per week. There are some not-as-insane workouts in the program but don't be fooled into thinking you are getting a break, it is just insane with a lower case i.

Lisa - We need a new vacuum, ours sucks and fully sucking. We are trying to suck the last bit of sucking energy out of it before we get another one. DH had it before I knew him and we have been together for 10 years so I guess it is time.

Hi to everyone.

Murphy

Hi everyone! I cheated on Cathe again, today was Angie Miller, core strength something or other, very simple! Lisa, so glad you are enjoying that new treadmill! We don't have one, running is like torture for me. You are funny with your Dyson, we need a new one desperately, That is one thing I don't like to spend money on! I know we won't be getting a Dyson, probably a Hoover, with the bag. I bought one of the bagless ones once, it was too heavy dragging it up and down the stairs. Kathryn, I got an I-touch for Christmas, I love it! it is sooo much fun! You will love it! I also enjoy the new cardios! I don't know what people are yapping about, they must all be superwoman, b/c I do work up a good sweat with them. Murphy, I told you not to get sick! i hope you feel better soon. Ronne, good for you with DM, that is on the bottom of the pile with hardcore extreme! Well, need to get to b-ball practice! Mary

Hey

Everyone's super chatty today.

Kathryn - I like your style! You're obviously in a spending mood! Is an iTouch an iPhone or something different? I've got my trusty ipod and that's it.
Well, I really like the STS cardio that I've done so far. I think there's great variety in there and I really like the MMA. I like the fact that they're quite slow so you can focus on form.

Lisa - sounds like you're really enjoying your new treadmill. Glad to hear that the PF is easing off. Happy belated wedding anniversary! Did you do anything?

Mary - I'm with you, not keen on running at all. Don't go near it. Enjoy your break from Cathe.

Murph - apologies!!! hope you get better soon. Did you take a rest day?

Well, I did the double shot thing from the Feb rotation today. GSL timesaver followed by MMA Fusion. It was the first time I've done Fusion, it was soooo tough. My legs were screaming, I had to keep taking little breaks and I couldn't get through the mountain climbers. That second combo is really tough as well, couldn't manage that.

Right, I'm off to get some coffee. Have a good one, everyone.

Ooooooh, my bod was so tired yesterday since I hadn't run in a while. It's such a good workout. I NEVER used to run prior to finding Cardio Coach, although my brother's track coach in high school always said I had the legs for it. Today I did 4DS Back/Bi PM and B&G Stab abs.

Mary, our video piles must look the same with DM and Hardcore Extreme being on the bottom! :) I know a lot like DM, it's just sooooo hard for me!

Murphy, are you feeling better? Don't worry about skipping some w/o's if you need to, they'll always be there :)

Kathryn, I like the STS Cardio although I think that is what started my plantar fasciatis up and my right knee hurting. It's really high impact! I do admit I do the MMA ones for easier workouts, but still easier is just a relative term :) Those others are crazy hard! MMA Fusion is very challenging though with the dropping to the floor/standing up (I can't do it fast enough) and the rolly things as Murphy calls them.

Ronne, no, nothing special for our anniv....in fact I could barely pull myself off the couch last night, I finally took 2 ibuprofen and that helped my poor old body feel better. DH leaves today for Palo Alto (near San Fran, CA) --- told him to bring back some sourdough bread! YUM, I know it's not clean, but oooooh it's so yummy.

Have a good day everyone!

Still sick and feeling sicker. DH is starting to get something and one of my DD's has a cough. Great! I was hoping to take Friday off but w/ another snowstorm coming, we may have to keep the kids home - there goes my rest. Oh well, such is life.

BTW, am I the only one who liked DM? It is hard and I still cannot complete it, but I do like it. B&G's is another I love to hate. Who invented/discovered lunges anyway?

Murphy

Hi girls! Today was circuit blast, needed something quick and fast, lots of running around today. Just got back from youngest DS tutoring, now need to get to DD b-ball game, not much down time today. Murphy, rest, I'm sorry you got sick! Now the whole family? Lisa, enjoy that bread, I love bread, especially when it is hard on the crust and all soft and chewy on the inside, with butter all melty. Guess I am hungry? Hi to you Kathryn! Ronne, isn't that Fusion so different? I do pretty bad in the 2nd combo, where you have to kick thru then get up, I am not very graceful! Well, have to feed the kids and run! Talk to you tomorrow! Mary

Good morning! I didn't check in yesterday, but my workout was DentistMax... as in, two hours in the chair getting a broken crown replaced. Ugh. And expensive, too. Okay, I'm out of the spending mood now! :mad:

Today I did Kelly Coffey-Meyer 30-minute kickbox (but did the premix, which includes both 30-min. routines). I wasn't feeling too perky, but I got through it.

Ronne: The iTouch is like an iPhone, but without the phone part of it. I am not a big cellphone user, I don't text, and I'm happy with my current cellphone. The iTouch is like the iPod on steroids... in addition to your music, you can watch movies, TV shows (like I ever do that!), download apps (games!)... my kids just love it.

Okay, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who finds MMA Fusion challenging. I have a very hard time getting up quickly from being on the floor. I have very low blood pressure and it is incredibly difficult for me to roll down, roll up, jump, etc. (Last week my blood pressure was 87/55... I mean, LOW!)

Lisa, I'm with you on the Advil thing... I just don't recover like I used to. Or maybe I'm working out harder... or maybe I'm just getting [gulp] old! But it is a little harder to get moving in the morning these days. And it doesn't help that it is so cold (24 degrees this morning, with wind chill of 11 degrees)! The average temperature for this time of year is normally around 60 degrees, so it is unusually cold.

Murphy, thanks for the word on Insanity. I fear high-intensity workouts because my feet and knees end up hurting a lot. I'm so on the fence about it, but I think I'll wait a while. People seem to like it, but I don't know if my body can take that kind of high-impact abuse. I'm sorry that you're sick! It's so hard to make progress when you can't stay healthy. I was sick for a month (Nov.-Dec.) and felt like I was starting over after I recovered. And I don't love DM either. I don't know why, exactly. I do it, but not very often. I really like Cardio Fusion, so I do the DM drills with that, but it's my least-favorite part of the workout.

Mary, I can't do that kick-through-and-get-up move in MMA Fusion either. I'm not coordinated, and I'm also very left-right challenged. I like the workout, but it is tough for me. I'm glad to see that you're staying healthy (knock wood). It's hard to do so when you have kids who bring home so many germs from school. I cut back on the outside activities. I got tired of running around from one thing to another. Not that the kids mind -- they hated having to go, go, go all the time too.

Speaking of going, a pile of paperwork awaits me on my desk. Has anybody done their taxes yet? My accountant is clamoring for our business tax info, and personal won't be far behind.

Have a great day, everybody!

Hi all

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who struggled with some of the moves in Fusion. From other stuff I'd been reading, I thought I must be really out-of-shape. If it was any faster, I'd just trip over myself!

Kathryn - that sounds like a fun toy but something I can resist.
Tax forms, tedious! The worst bit is getting all the stuff out you need. I don't know about you but there's always something I forget that I have to go searching for halfway through!

Murph - no, you're not the only one! I love DM, it's one of my favourites. I really like bootcamp-type workouts. I respond well to being drilled!! Not so keen on B&G tho', particularly all those lunges!

Lisa - hope you're feeling better today. It's easy to really go for it when you're enjoying something. :)

Mary - I'm a bread fan as well! Love fresh loaves from the baker just with butter, mmmm.

Today was a rest day for me and I needed it, got a bit of butt DOMS from legs yesterday. Did my first Cathe download yesterday, I got STS plyo legs disc 26, it was so cheap. I'm doing it this Saturday. Having previewed it, it looks really tough so I was planning to go light on the weights. What do you STS veterans think?

Bye for now!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.