FEBRUARY CHECK IN ~*~ Thurs. 5th ~*~

ShyWolf

Cathlete
Good Morning Amigas.

Well yesterday was one busy, busy day. I crashed hard in my bed the moment I was able to.

Thankfully my husband was not hurt yesterday after going over snow covered black ice over a bridge, the steel barrier stopped his car from slipping.

So now his car is at the shop getting fixed and a rental is in place, but I had lots of phone calls to make and heck he even made the news with about 6 other drivers who slipped over that ice and thank God he didn't collide w/ any one.

Soooooo... today I hope to have a somewhat normal day and yesterday's workout on my planned rest day today ;)

Joanne continued prayers going out for your parents and extra hugs to your mom.

I will do my best to BBL to catch up with you all.

picture.php

Good morning everyone..

Vilma: Glad that your husband wasn't injured on that ice...

Today's workout is going to be kick, punch & crunch...

Be back later..Hope all are well today..

Good morning, all. Vilma, wow -- I'm glad hubby wasn't hurt -- funny about him making the news. Yikes!!!

I did CLX push 3 this morning -- chest & back. Tacked on some pushups and STS ab circuits w/ no equipment. Chris, I've been meaning to ask you -- what do you think of the music in STS? I think you were the one who thought she wouldn't like it, right? And did you see my post last night about me having 1RM numbers for things I never entered them for? Unfortunately that gives me little confidence that my numbers are right. :(

Oh, someone -- either Joanne or Chris I think -- asked about what weights I have and if I had to buy more. My heaviest pair of db currently is 25#, and I have one 30#, but I think I may need to add in more -- I'll probably start by getting the matching 30# and one 35#. It's hard to imagine using a 35 though, I have to admit!!

I am going to Tracy's house today (my kbell instructor) to learn how to use my new pressure cooker. Should be fun, but it's going to be a crazy day of that, work, and running the kids around everywhere. Have a great day everyone!

-Beth

Hello everyone!

Vilma, so glad your hubby is OK. This winter has just been crazy everywhere.

Hey, Kathy - have fun kick, punch and crunching! I forget, did you order STS?

Beth, yea, it was me who asked about the weights. I know, I can't imagine I'll ever be able to do an exercise with anything over a 25! That's weird about your 1RM. I was thinking I'll finish up CLX the first week of April and then start STS. I'm definitely going to write down all my 1RM somewhere before I enter them in here. I've read a couple posts where people lost them all! So, what are you making in the pressure cooker? My mom has one, but is afraid to use it - she thinks it'll explode or something!

Today was Get Lean Intervals (from the bonus CLX DVD).

My dad is still in the hospital. His potassium is really low so I think they're trying to get that under control before he goes home. The pain is better. He's really not been himself - seems depressed, but who can blame him? He is such a good-natured guy, always joking around. Now he barely smiles and really doesn't make any effort at conversation. He would always try to do things for himself, like eating, but now he wants my mom to do everything. It's kind of like he's given up. That's probably the hardest part to see.

BBL...

Joanne

Hey Girls!

Vilma: Holy CRAP! I can't believe that happened to your DH! I swear, I have a fear of bridges, I probably would be institutionalized if that happened to me! Glad he's ok!!!!

Kathy: How are you feeling today after Back & Tri's yesterday? I did KPC this morning too! For some reason I was really getting into it today. Not that I don't ever, just moreso today. "...I wanna ROCK..."

Beth: Good workout today! Abs Circuit No Equipment was tough, huh? My abs were still sore today from it, and I had to crank out the Ball work from KPC! Ow!! ... On the STS Music... I was kind of surprised I DO like it. In the YOuTUBE clip I wasn't really getting it, but when you're doing the weight work, it goes with it, and to tell you the truth, it's not a big factor when I'm concentrating on lifting those big heavy weights and getting the move done! And I was thinking, music like "Buttercup" sure wouldn't go with this weight work! LOL! So , yeah, I do like it! The opening music , I LOVE, though!! Makes me want to KICK ASS! :eek: .... I DID read your post last night, it was late and I had to go to bed , though. Yeah, on the 1RM's, it screwed up for me too. It erased a SHITLOAD of them, I had to go back and reenter them. So glad I printed out that sheet in the beginning and wrote it all down when I did them. (I'm guessing you didnt?)

I sure am tired today. It's my "TOM" stretch. Ick. And it's colder than anything out, and I'm freezing to boot! Ick ICK!!!!

Hey Joanne! We must have cross-posted together!

I have to admit, I've never used bigger than a 25# DB. Rarely a 30#. But I do have a BarBell, and I've used 60 on there (deadlifts and rows).

Glad your dad is having less pain. Did they ever figure out what it was, Joanne? I can only imagine how hard it is to see him withdrawn. Is he on antidepressants? What a tough thing to see your parents grow old. My mom will be 85 this year, and God Bless her, she's pretty healthy (lives alone and still drives). But I know the day is coming.... And it scares the crap out of me!

hope you enjoyed your intervals today!!!

Type to you later..

Joanne, did you like the Get Lean intervals?

That is sad about your dad -- so hard to see someone go through that.

I did write down my 1RM numbers on that caveman sheet I had printed out, so I have them -- it's not as if it's a big deal, it's mostly that I'm not sure I can trust the numbers on the workout cards once I print them out. Kind of pointless if I have to go back to the handwritten sheet and try to calculate it myself, isn't it? Oooh, I hate to criticize after all the work they've done for us and basically we get it for free.

Chris, funny that you have a fear of bridges -- I have a fear of being under bridges! It's that earthquake factor -- I hate being stopped under an overpass -- I always try to leave myself room to shoot out, or stop short of it if I can.

Chris, you do not sound tired! You sound really fired up! Glad to hear you like the music -- I know exactly what you mean about not noticing it for weights -- I'm the same way. Funny about Buttercup!

Oh, we're cooking some sort of pot roast in the cooker today. I'll let you know how it works out! It's raining here today, so comfort food is good.

-Beth

Good morning! I sorta wimped out on GS legs yesterday. I did a premix since I did some cardio at the school gym (and I was pooped!) and I just was having the hardest time with the floor work. Looking back, I should have just done the standing work so I was pretty disappointed in myself. I also had wanted to work out in the morning since its going to be a super fun workout (LIS cardio plus the Cardio Quick Fix) but Joe and are couldn't get out of bed. So it BETTER happen tonight because I just love that workout so much.

Vilma -- OMG to your husband! Well, I always say, an accident that everyone can walk away from is the best kind of accident to get stuck in! Are you going to work out?

Joanne -- I'm thinking about you. I hope everything works out. ::hugs:: sounds like you had a nice workout at least. good for you for making the workouts happen despite everything around you. I know I've said this before, but how all of you guys in the check in group deal with things and still keep exercise a priority motivates me to do the same.

Kathy -- have fun with KPC. I don't have that one though I want it!

Beth -- I like working chest and triceps a lot. I feel like I'm really making efforts to not make my arms flop around and that I can actually lift my breasts. Actually, *sniff* I got a bit upset this morning. I've been really happy with the way I look lately. The scale hasn't said much of anything but I sorta feel like I've leaned out or something. DH and some people at work say I clearly look thinner so maybe I'm replacing fat with muscle mass, who knows? But then when I went to get dressed this morning, I realized my boobs have shrunk. Now, I'm glad they're not as big as they use to be as it gave me back problems but its like, seriously, there's a whole BUTT for my body to take fat from, it couldn't burn off of that? LOL.

Chris -- that's really cool that you like the STS music. DH had once explained to me that part of the reason that Cathe DVDs were so much more expensive than others was that she had to get the rights for the awesome music and that costs more. So, when he saw that 4DS was cheaper (per disc/full package) and he heard the music and was like, that has to be part of it. That said, not everything has to be super expensive music as long as you can get it into and its fun (certainly both of us love 4DS KB and BC music a lot). So, its really promising that the STS music is grooving with all of you! I'm not sure if I told you this, but DH has been really happy with my dumbbells that I've gotten and the other day he ran into the bedroom exclaiming, I lifted as much as Cathe! and I being evil responded, good for you sweetie -- you can lift like a girl now! If he could have thrown that DB at me, he would have. :)

Ahhh...I don't know why I'm so exhausted. I'm not really looking forward to what I have to do at work today too so that isn't helping. If people decide to be chatty to distract me today, PLEASE DO SO! :)

Hi again ladies. What is with me?? I'm starving today!! Keep looking at the clock to see if it's too early to eat lunch. Just had some oatmeal about an hour ago. Not helping.

OK, Hottie, twist my arm - I'll be chatty. ;) Yea, I know what you mean. (about the boob thing.) I always lose weight starting from the top down. Why is it that where I need it the most is where it comes from first?? I was measuring a bit today and my waist is 1.5 inches smaller and my thighs are the same??? Not fair!! :(( Actually I almost added on some Butts (from B&G) today, but wimped out. I always have a hard time motivating myself to put in another DVD once I've finished one. I'm a bit worried CLX isn't doing much for my bottom half, but I'm moving on to the 2nd phase next week, so we'll see if that helps. I should probably do some running or more cardio too. You know, that's how I deal with all the goofy stuff that goes on in my life. Exercise keeps me sane. Even when Caitlyn was in the hospital, if I was at home and DH was with her - I'd workout. Makes me feel like I'm doing something for myself and burns off some frustration/stress. It's the one consistent thing I do for myself and it makes me a more pleasant person to be around, I think. Also seeing what my dad is going through and seeing things at the nursing home - it makes me want to stay healthy and strong for my kids. Not that my dad or any others did anything wrong - but I think working out can definitely hold off the effects of aging. I want to do everything I can to make sure I'm around for a long, long time! I have diabetes in my family and I'm determined not to get it, or at least to hold it at bay for as long as possible. OK, you got chatty!!

Beth, yea, I did like Get Lean Intervals. It's a bit shorter than Burn Intervals. She does some compound moves for strength like lunges with rows and squats with biceps I think. I can't remember if she does those in the Burn Interval one or not. I'd be curious to see how many calories it burns. Has anyone else posted about the 1RM being off? I've only skimmed those threads.

I have a fear of walking over bridges, but not really driving over them. I'm afraid of water, so I'm always afraid the bridge will decide to collapse when I'm on it. And, I have to walk over one over the Chicago River twice a day to get to and from work. Have the same thought every time I walk over it!

Chris, no, they haven't really figured out what caused the pain. I'm still thinking muscle strain, but I'm not doctor! He's been super-sensitive to pain lately - my mom says he complains when even a blanket is on his feet - that it hurts. That's awesome that your mom is 85 and still independent. Doesn't she even babysit for your kids? That's how I want to be! My TOM should be on it's way - it's a bit late. If the totally unexpected happens, you'll all hear me screaming across the Internet! ;) And, not in a good way!

Joanne

Thank you Joanne!!! :)

So, in the moments where I do think I'll graduate, I think about what I'd want to do as a postdoc and I've talked about joining a metabolic lab...which would make a lot of sense because I work in an aging lab and that already puts me with some background for metabolism (though I work on DNA repair in regard to aging, but you can see the path I'm making). Anyway, Joe asked why metabolism and I stated the obvious reasons, I find it interesting, it will always have funding, it might actually help people with their health, and then I landed this one on him: "wouldn't it be cool if I could figure out a way to actually spot treat the burning of fat cells?!?!" And he just looked at me, "Ohh, so its for your own personal gain!" Me: "Of course!" So give me another decade or three and maybe I can figure out how to just burn our butt fat off!

But I feel the same way about exercise too but sometimes I get so depressed that I can't even motivate myself to do it. DH says that I'm going through a lot of stress and that's why but I then get frustrated because I know the exercise could chill me out some and that I'd feel great afterwards and I still don't want to do it. But I try and the check in group keeps me in line so that's always good. Exercise and good diet is showing crazy signs of aging improvement and I've just gone to too many seminars and read too many papers to think otherwise so trust me, you're doing the right thing.

The only type of bridges that freak me out are the bamboo ones in India (like where some dude put it together over a chasm). Any "real" bridge does nothing to me now. That said, I've become desensitized to driving in LA which used to really freak me out...

Last edited:

Hola Friends!

Today was supposed to be Imax2, but since I did part of it on Tuesday I didn't want to do it again today so I chose Imax3 and it was actually fun. I haven't done that workout in a WHILE! Today I didn't go to work so that was good, but I didn't go because DS got sick last night with a fever but woke up feeling great today so that's good.

Vilma: I'm glad nothing happened to your DH. What is Black Ice anywas? Sorry, I've never heard of that before. Yesterday was super busy for me too! Hopefully today will be a not so busy day :)

Kathy: I hope you enjoyed KPC. I haven't done that one in a long time!

Beth: Great workout today! How do you like CLX? Have a wonderful day!

Joanne:I'm glad your dad isn't in much pain, I hope he feels like himself again soon. I'll keep him in my prayers. I hope you enjoyed your workout today!

Hottie: Yesterday I was so tired with everything I did and the cardio I did that when night time came to do GS BSB I couldn't finish the whole thing. I think I did only about 45 mins of it. Hope you can do your workout today! LIS is so much fun!

Well, I'm going to finish some stuff here around the house. It's so cold outside that I'm not looking forward to having to go outside for ANYTHING. I have to get DD in an hour. Ohh, and I used my Rykas again today and yesterday and they are just AWESOME! Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!

Hi ladies..

Checking back with Kick,punch & crunch done..

Chris: I was feeling the same way today..I was really into it. Maybe STS is giving us some pep!!! I am still feeling it..My back more than my triceps...But, I am not as sore as I thought...I think maybe I could've used heavier. But, I kept thinking this is suppose to be muscle endurance and 60%. So, I went a little lighter..

Joanne: Yes, I ordered STS..I am totally enjoying it. Tomorrow is Disc 3: Legs....Sorry about your dad..Prayers for him...

Hey Again, Girls!

So you decided to be chatty and I can't resist!!

Beth: Oh I guess it's a bit different since your numbers are WRONG. Mine were just missing, so I just had to plug them in. I didn't mean for you to figure out the %'s! Oh my! My brain wouldn't be able to do THAT! LOL!. Just maybe go back and compare the exercises and the numbers. And fix the ones that are f'd up. But I'd be pissed if the numbers were WRONG too. Geesh Louise! Even if it's free! But it is a cool tool if it works well... .. Yes, I get true panic when we go over BIG bridges. I can't imagine having to WALK over a big bridge *shudder*. I guess I'm not so tired anymore. My sleep basically sucks wind, so when I get up I usually feel like *#$@. The test if it wears off or not! Now I'm kind of hyper!!!

Hottie: YOu are too funny!! I hope you get your LIC workout in today!! I never thought about the music and cost. That's very true!! I love your comment to your DH about lifting weights like a girl!!!! .. Oh yeah, my boobs shrunk too. Not taht I have much to shrink. But they're pretty much gone. the butt and the thighs on the other hand, I think I'm stuck with . The one good things about the boobs being littler are, after breastfeeding 3 boys, if they were big, they'd touch my knees!! :eek: There are benefits to small "girls"!! Great interest in Metabolism, though! I like your theories!

Joanne: Oh I think a little more cardio or better yet, running, will thin out the bottom half. I crave to run again. But i have to wait for the nice weather and all this snow/ice to melt. :mad: I think Step builds your butt UP. I swear, that's one of the reasons mine sticks out too much (for my taste anyways). You have access to a TM, right? .. I know, working out is my addiction as well as my "tool" to chilling out and getting out frustrations. I think it has to do with the endorphin thing too. I'm addicted to it! :eek: My mom never exercised, per se, but she was a golfer and walked. She has some long term effects from a LONG history of high blood pressure though. Like kidney disease and clogged arteries. Yes, she does babysit for the boys sometimes! I like the fact that exercise keeps me "young" too. In one of Chalene's Tj's, she makes this comment about exercise keeping you young. And to "look around you. your friends that don't exercise are starting to show their age, aren't they?" And it's true! I have friends at work that seem to be falling apart physically. Bad backs, slumping shoulders, more of a 'worn' look to them. And then I have people tell me I look 10 years younger!

Ivy: If not IMAX2, but of course IMAX3! Gosh, I haven't done that one in forever. I don't know why, because every time I DO it, I love it! There 's that intimidation factor though.

Kathy: OMG.. Maybe there IS pep-stuff in STS! LOL!

Okay,,,, I need to go be productive with all this energy I seem to have this afternoon ... I'm picking up Zach from school today (he had Jazz band practice), and then taking the other boys to pick out their Valentine's cards. !!!!!!

It's so fun when everyone is "chatty" - thanks Hottie! ;)

Chris, yea, I do have access to a treadmill. We have a free fitness center here at work. I'm going to try to go a couple times a week. Ooooohhhh, I saw a post on the yaya's board that Chalene will be filming a "bunch more" TJ's!!! :0 - but not for a couple months. You reminded me I need to take the kids to get Valentines. Have to go before all that's left are the hokey ones!

Tomorrow Jameson is going to a dance after school. DH is too funny - he told Jameson to call when he's ready to come home. He said if you're hanging out with a girl and want to kiss her, tell me "I need some more time" when he calls - that'll be their secret signal. What??? Poor Jameson! He turned bright red. He's shown no interest in girls - he just wants to go to eat the snacks and hang out with his friends. And, Ian is going to a girl's birthday party tomorrow night at her house. So, DH was teasing him. I say don't rush the girl/boy thing - plenty of time for that!

Kathy, we want a full report on the Legs disc. You, too, Chris!

Ivy, Black ice is a thin covering of ice that you can't see on the road. You'll be driving along and all of a sudden you hit it and the car can go out of control. We get it here if there is freezing rain sometimes.

Hottie, hope you can come up with the solution for spot fat burning. If you do, we can say we knew you way back when - before you were famous! ;) Sounds like you are studying some really interesting stuff!

Joanne

Actually, I don't know how public this is but one of our collaborators is working with surgeons to basically make "omental"-suction. Liposuction removes subcatenous fat but not the omentum underneath your abs. It's supposed to be very new and they're going to see the health benefits of removing toxic fat. It's very exciting. Still...I'd rather take a nutritional design or pill even than surgery to lose fat. So, maybe I'll have a job in the future anyway. :)

Ivy -- I have to try Imax3 again this weekend. I'm going to doctor's in a little bit about my feet problem so I'm hoping soon I'll be able to really nail IM3 without pain!

Kathy -- will you be re-evaluating your 1RMs?

Chris -- valentines for the boys? I thought they stopped doing that after a certain age. I actually hated v-day when I was in school...who got the vcard and who didn't. Now i don't care but that's probably because I have someone.

Joanne -- how adorable about the dance! Yeah, I don't think I could resist teasing your son either. How old are your sons? Are they at "that time" when they are interested in girls?

I'm off for a quick elliptical run before the docs. thanks for being chatty for me!

Hottie, interesting about the omental removal. I saw a segment about that on Oprah. Not the removal, but about what it was. If I have any of that in me I'd certainly want it out of there!

My boys are 12, 11 and 9. Caitlyn is 6. They don't do Valentine's in the middle school where Jameson is. If you bring Valentine's you have to have one for every kid in the class. To me they are a waste of paper! Some teachers will let you address them individually with each name, but others will only let you address each as "classmate." We have three kids in the grade school, so we'll have about 70 of these things after the parties. No, so far no interest in girls! At least that they've mentioned to us! Not that they would after the way DH teases them! I guess I'll know when they finally stop arguing with me about showering every day! ;) Good luck at the doc!

Kathy: WTG on KPC!!

Chris: I love IM3 too, but I didn't like that it didn't have rest time like IM2 does. It's like your HR is all up there and you are jumping to the next combo, LOL! I had to pause in between combos to catch my breath. Also, I wish the music was more like IM2. But, IM3 is awesome!

Joanne: Thanks for letting me know what black ice is, I never knew that. Now that's scary to have to drive and not be able to see the ice.

Hottie: I hope your doc appointment goes well. What happened to your feet?

Well, SELLER'S REMORSE!! I sold Tosca's Eat Clean Dite Cookbook to my mom a couple of months ago, and I just bought it again today! I really need to start eating better! I've made SO MANY homemade chocolate chips cookie in the past 2 weeks that it's not even funny! And the worst part is that EVERY single cookie I ate all myself!! AAAHH!! And the WORST thing is, that I'm making some right now, LOL!! Tosca, please help! LOL!

Wow..Cool news, Joanne! Now more TJ's I would definitely buy!! That's sweet about Jameson's dance. My 13 year old, though he TALKS and gets a bit giddy about girls, isn't "into them" as some 13 yr olds are! (Thankfully!!). I know my 7 year old went to a girls Bday Party last weekend. The invitation said "5:30p-8:00p", but Jake told me that it was really a sleepover. Which it was, but it was ALL girls, the boys weren't really invited. Though the mom said he COULD if he really wanted to! He still wanted to do it! LOL! (We didn't let him!)

Another "Wow". I can't believe you don't love Valentines, Joanne! I remember making them out in elementary school and receiving them. I loved every minute of it! esp. making one out for one of the boys I had a crush on:eek:!. Zach stopped exchanging Valentines in Middle School too. Alex is in 3rd grade, Jake is in 1st, so yeah, they still do it. They make them out for EVERYONE in the class. And they get to bring a treat too. I want to make something fun, i'm going to try to find a recipe or idea somewhere ... (ANy ideas?). So Alex chose Kung Fu Panda Valentines, and Jake picked Marvel heroes.

Ivy: you're too funny with the cookies! I'd eat them too, if I made them!:eek:

Chris: Urgh! I just ate like 10 of them and I feel like I'm about to POP, LOL! They aren't so big though, incase you are wondering how big they are, lol. Now I can't wait till they are all gone and hopefully I don't make them in a WHILE.

Goodnight :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.